• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Energy drinks banned...

Years

How a parent has control of his child while said child is in a nightclub is beyond me. Furthermore, the "social pressure" is most likely stronger that "parent's word/rule" for most teenagers.

Well a child isn't going to be in a nightclub. (Note: Under 18=child) In the context of the thread, by child, we were discussing kids around the 13-15 age group or so.

But I do agree that social pressure normally outweighs Mom and Dad's rules in most kid's minds.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I actually agree with this. I don't approve of energy drinks whatsoever.
    I'm somewhat of a health nut, but the fact remains that the government has no right to ban them, unless they impair your ability to drive, or otherwise harms other people around you.

I'm somewhat prone to caffeine addiction.
    Speaking of Caffeine addiction... someone mentioned to me that they wanted a coke, because they were craving caffeine... I used to drink like a gallon of soda a day, and I don't recall ever having a "craving." Am I just special, or were they joking, cuz I didn't even realize they were addictive.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'm not much of an energy drink person except for around exam time.

But I don't see how local government has the right to put an age limit ban on them. If they're kids, their parents should be using proper judgment regarding whether their kids are allowed to drink them and how much they can drink. And once they're legally adults, they should be held responsible for their own judgments regarding consumption of energy drinks.

Bay

Years
    Unless I'm completely missing the point, I'm gonna say this now:

Gatorade is considered harmful now? o_O;
    No, not Gatorade. I always consider it a sports drink. XD The energy drinks we're talking about are moreso Red Bull, Monster, etc.

Anyways, not a big fan of energy drinks as I hate the taste and get very hyper right after (I don't like to get very hyper as I tend to crash hard right after -_- ), but banning them won't solve any problems. The young people drinking them just need some self-control, like the others said.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    It is an energy drink(sort of), but I'm guessing that's not the one that they're banning, I was just a bit confused at that. xD; I...don't necessarily see anything wrong with Red Bull either(it's more of a psuedo-liquor sorta drink than an energy drink to me, but eh).

It's technically classified as a sports drink. Basically if you've been working out, Gatorade does rehydrate you extremely well and is also good for you when you have the flu as it replenishes lost electrolytes. However if you buy one on your way home from school it's pretty much no better than pop.

I realise I'm in the minority on this but I actually agree, well at least somewhat (explained below). These things are dangerous if you consume more than one, and frankly it should be the "drinkers" responsability but we can't trust a vast amount of the population to really consider whats good for them when buying something from a convenience store. The cans have warnings but it's practically an advertising scheme; product looks dangerous=wannabe "rebelious" children buy it. If it tastes really good then that's a bonus.

An age limit might be a bit of an extreme but sports coaches across the continent need to ban these things in dressing rooms. Most of the problems with energy drinks is when people mix them with physical exertion. An energy drink is not the same as a sports drink. =/ Extremely high amounts of caffeine or other stimulant mixed with working out can cause disater for the heart. I support a ban cause of my general lack of faith in people my own age but what really needs to happen is increased awareness on the subject; if kids can be taught moderation and to not mix them with sports then a ban is absolutely not nessecary, but I'm not entirelly sure how possible that is.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't see the harm of younger people drinking energy drinks as long as it's sensible, so I think the limit doesn't make sense to me.

Banksy

Banned
    Years
    I enjoyed my 3 bottles of 350mL red bull today, I don't see how it affects me in anyway, I don't get more or less energy and it's not like it affects my behavior. Energy drinks banned? Well isn't that a bummer, lets all get drunk.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    ^ Even one is extremely bad for you, so like it or not, it does affect you. That's not why they're banning them though. They're banning them because some people are drinking several at a time, and killing themselves.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    when i first read the title i was liek YAAAAY

No, seriously. Those energy drinks are freaking crazy what kind of **** they pump into them. I mean, drink a coffee or a coke or something if you want a bit of energy lol

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    Kids don't need the caffeine anyways. They're young, and full of energy.
    But I do understand that teenagers, like myself, need that energy.
    I for one, have insomnia. So I'll be up til 3 am, then have to wake up at 4 am tired as all ever.
    Maybe they should set the age limit to 15+, sounds fair enough.

when i first read the title i was liek YAAAAY

No, seriously. Those energy drinks are freaking crazy what kind of **** they pump into them. I mean, drink a coffee or a coke or something if you want a bit of energy lol

Honestly, coffee and coke lul me to sleep more then keep me awake.

Zet

Years
    Just like R rated video games, kids will get their hands on them easily. But making the the age 19+ is just stupid, 14/15 maybe, but definitely not 19.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Eh, there should be an age limit, but not 19.

I mean, come on, 10-year-olds have no business chugging those things.

Why must the government act as a parent? Call me old fashioned but I think its the parents job to parent.

^ Well, that depends on your definition of fail. Of course, it's impossible to completely stop EVERYONE from drinking them, but if they stop say 90%, is that not a success?

Banning these things will not be effective during alcohol prohibition in the 1920's(?) cunsumption had not dropped significantly on top of creating the mob. Same w/ drug prohibition where I live its easier for me to get an ounce of weed than it is for me to get a 6 pack of beer and a nasty side effect of this attempted war on drugs is the drug cartels are gaining power and raising hell.

Well, going by that, then everything with sugar or artificial sweeter should be banned too, seeing as it contributes to Obesity and Diabetes. :/ It's as implausible as it is hypocritical.

But my original point still stands. People obviously know better, this is just another case of people who deflect blame because they otherwise have no control over themselves. :/ And parents need to step up too.

The first thing you learn when your start taking drugs... You do not mix uppers and downers. Even young children know better.

Last edited:
    Years
    I've been drinking lots of caffeine since 10 and have had no problems, if people really need an age ban make it 13, as long as your smart enough to not drink too much (Almost anyone over 10) you should be okay, and i don't think banning energy drinks because people are mixing them with alcohol sounds right, alcohol is already banned for people under 21 so if your governments worried about that mixing then they should be able to rely on that law, and if not then they need to learn that people are gonna get a hold of it somehow

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Big Brother wants to make sure the little kiddies don't pull all-nighters before their science or long division tests. But what's next? Coffee? Mountain Dew? Banning energy drinks for college students? Banning them for everyone under 65?

We don't need government to get so powerful that they play the role of parent. Seriously, parents need to stop being lazy and monitor what their kids are drinking and how it's affecting them.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Big Brother wants to make sure the little kiddies don't pull all-nighters before their science or long division tests. But what's next? Coffee? Mountain Dew? Banning energy drinks for college students? Banning them for everyone under 65?

We don't need government to get so powerful that they play the role of parent. Seriously, parents need to stop being lazy and monitor what their kids are drinking and how it's affecting them.
    I agree with this statement. Some parents just don't care about this sort of thing, and will get it for them to shut their kids up. It's the same with everything.

Watching the news earlier today told me that Australia is also considering banning these drinks because of what the American Government has done about it, well at least the Alcoholic energy drinks.

Back