• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Discussion

Hooh

Only if for a night.
Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?

2. How do you feel about features being renamed, which are the PokéShifter to the PokéTransfer, the Live Caster to the Xtransciever and High Link (Hilink) to the Entralink? (May have possibly missed some)

I like the new names

3. Do you think that as a whole in this generation, the meanings of the names were more creative than in other generations? For example, Tepig, as in Tepid + Pig. Are there any you favour, but aren't necessarily your favourites?

Some are worse, I mean MANDIBUZZ! TURTWIG is better than that name!

4. How do you feel about the name change from Isshu to Unova (varies depending on language)? Was it needed?

No, the never need to change the names of the regions, I have a real Isshu
    with Unova, too.

5. If you had the power to rename some English names, what would you rename them to and why? Any special reason behind those names?

Wargle should have stayed Wargle.
    Pidove should have Pidgity (Pigeon + City)
    Unfezent should have been Fezuntry (Pheasant + Country)
    Purrloin should have been Nekat (Neko + Cat)
    Liepard should have been Nasteline (Nasty + Feline)

6. Touya & Touko... better in Japanese or English?

Touya & Touko, I HATE HATE HATE Hilda and Hilbert.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    3. Do you think that as a whole in this generation, the meanings of the names were more creative than in other generations? For example, Tepig, as in Tepid + Pig. Are there any you favour, but aren't necessarily your favourites?

I will only answer this now since I am too tired to make any tl;dr posts. i think they were a lot less creative this time around. Reason being: I don' think Crustle and Sandile and Tepig and Oshawott are creative at all. and wtf Druggidon? Some very uncreatice names. I hate names that are just like a fusion of two words like Sand+Crocodile. It just makes it sound like they didn't really put in the thought you would expect them to. Crustle and Druggidon are just wrong and random, they sound terrible and I hate saying them. HOWEVER there are some good and creative names that roll off the tongue like Alomomola, Churine, Tynamo, Durant.

But overall the naming was terrible and were the hardest to get used to.
    Zweilous? mandibuzz? Shelmet? Sawsbuck? Whimsycott? Pawniard? Badbadbadbad names. I am just glad I am used to 90% of them now.

Umm...most of the old names were fusions of two words. Squirtle? Bulbasaur? Charmander? Geodude? Treecko? Torchic? Mudkip? Chimchar? Turtwig?

1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?

I like Driftveil and Opelucid. Driftveil is pretty and fits well together while Opelucid is fun to say. XD I have no problem with most of the name changes.

2. How do you feel about features being renamed, which are the PokéShifter to the PokéTransfer, the Live Caster to the Xtransciever and High Link (Hilink) to the Entralink? (May have possibly missed some)

I think Xtransceiver and Entralink sound better. I like PokeShifter better though.

I think they were more creative. Well, there's not much change IMO. Like I said, I don't really have a problem with the English names. Blitzle is so fun to say. XD Rhymes with pretzel.

4. How do you feel about the name change from Isshu to Unova (varies depending on language)? Was it needed?

I don't mind it. I think Unova sounds more adventurous, but Isshu has that feel I can't describe.

5. If you had the power to rename some English names, what would you rename them to and why? Any special reason behind those names?
    Nah...there are a few names I'm not particularly fond of, like Mandibuzz, but compared to Vuljina...:L

I don't mind. I don't particularly like their names in either language. If I had to choose, I'd say Japanese. I refer to them as Black and White though.

Years
  • "Roggenrola" sounds German. "Bouffalant" sounds French! :P

Serperior stands out at me as not being very creative. There's already a *perior Pokémon, Rhyperior, from the previous generation. You'd think they could have come up with a more original suffix, especially since it doesn't even carry any relation to the Pokémon. I was thinking of Seregal.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott are the three worst names they could have come up with *sigh

~Touko

Haxorus Breeder ~ #1 Axew Fan
    Years
  • 1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite? Favorite Pokemon: Vanillite and evolutions. Favorite Trainer: N. Favorite City: Icirrus City. I have no least favorites. No, I don't know any of these Japanese names.

2. How do you feel about features being renamed, which are the PokéShifter to the PokéTransfer, the Live Caster to the Xtransciever and High Link (Hilink) to the Entralink? (May have possibly missed some) Its cool. I'm really ok with any changes, honestly.

3. Do you think that as a whole in this generation, the meanings of the names were more creative than in other generations? For example, Tepig, as in Tepid + Pig. Are there any you favour, but aren't necessarily your favourites? Okay, Tepigs clever but Snivy makes the poor dear sound snotty. Oshawott, well, I ADORE that name. <3

4. How do you feel about the name change from Isshu to Unova (varies depending on language)? Was it needed? Doesn't matter to me. Although I do prefer Isshu...

5. If you had the power to rename some English names, what would you rename them to and why? Any special reason behind those names? I'd name Bianca, Tiffany. Cheren, Kevin. And N, Dash. Just because I love those names.

6. Touya & Touko... better in Japanese or English? Japanese. <3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott are the three worst names they could have come up with *sigh

What do you think they should've been called instead?

Also, I noticed something, I still have issues spelling Sigilyph. :( I think I typed that correctly, but honestly, I wish the names this generation weren't as hard to spell as they are, I swear they were easier to spell in past generations, anyone else feel the same? And if so what names are the hardest to spell for you? Or remember, even.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I had a hard time spelling "Amoonguss." There were times when I left out the second "S" and times when I included it (like now).

Years
  • Yeah that one's odd. I find myself typing (and pronouncing) it, "Sigiglyph." I also tend to pronounce Cofagrigus, "Cofagrarius"

I wish the names this generation weren't as hard to spell as they are, I swear they were easier to spell in past generations, anyone else feel the same? And if so what names are the hardest to spell for you? Or remember, even.
    Hmm, each of these are still causing me grief. But this is normal for me each generation:
    Spoiler:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I had a hard time spelling "Amoonguss." There were times when I left out the second "S" and times when I included it (like now).

Wow, I never really realized Amoonguss had two S's at the end to be honest. It's a pretty awkward name for a Pokémon though; like if it's a snake trying to say its name aloud. :B My thoughts are, it just doesn't fit the type of Pokémon it is, and with the design I'd at least hope for a more simplistic name.

There's also Mandibuzz which I believe happens to be a name with no reference to a vulture. The Pokémon has a look on its face that just can't scream "Mandibuzz" to me either. :(

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    This is going to be fun, considering I don't know most of the Japanese names.

1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?
    Galvantula. Don't know why. Don't know its Japanese name either.

Transfer makes more sense to me. Xtransciever sounds dumb. Anything with a pointless X in the name sounds dumb. Entralink...don't know. Doesn't sound any better than High Link.

Hell no. I would like to bring forth Throh and Sawk as my exhibits A and B.

Unova sounds fine. Isshu sounds a little cooler, I guess. Was it needed? I don't see why...

I know for sure I'd rename pretty much all of them. Don't know what I'd rename them to, though. But Reuniclus -> Homoncleus.

No idea who those two are.

Oh, and speaking of awkward names...Beheeyem. That is all.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I actually forgot all the Japanese names...but yet I haven't remembered all the new Pokemon names yet...
    Snivy is still my favorite english name out of the one's I've remembered though ^_^

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
    Years
  • 1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?

I love Foongus/Amoongus and I do not prefer their Japanese names because their English names are awesome and remind me of a certain album by Incubus. Least favorite would be Tsunbea turning into Beartic.Tsunbea is so much cooler to say and I don't understand what Beartic means.

Don't care. Names are names.

I liked the Japanese names for thisgen better myself but Feraligatr is probably one of my favorite names having to do w/a starter.

Unova sounds cooler.

Heatmor to Antheater because that's the only one I can think of ATM XD

IDK what these are...

Last edited:

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • The only problem I have with the English names are the names of the main characters. I liked Touya and Touko better. Hilbert and Hilda? Eww.

Same. The Japanese names sound better than the Engilsh names, I wouldn't really call someone Hilbert and Hillda I would call them something nicer.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'll start off with a few of these questions, and I hope to answer the others later on when time permits:

2. PokeShifter sounds a bit better than PokeTransfer. "PokeTransfer" sounds like an action, rather than a machine. A better name would be PokeTransfer-er, which would be a bit weird...

Xtransciever (Cross-Transciever) sounds a bit better than Live Caster, which sounds like an application or a TV program. But the prefix trans- means 'across', so you're essentially saying AcrossCrossTransciever, which is a bit redundant... >_>

HiLink (High Link) and Entralink both sound equally cool. I wish both of them could be used in the English localization in some way.

5. At the moment, all I could think of is renaming:
    - Oshawott to Wotter (water + otter). The simplicity of the fanmade name is what makes it nice.
    - Samurott to Otteronin (otter + ronin, masterless samurai), because "Samurott" seems a bit too basic and uninspired of a portmanteau, and it reminds me at times of a rotting samurai corpse. :x
    - Pignite to Pignition. Pignition just sounds a bit nicer/fuller to say.

6. Blair/Blake>Touya>Hilbert. Touko=Whitlea>Hilda. I love the Germanic element of hild=battle (thus tying in with the Battle Subway), but Hilda just looks so weird for a girl as hot as Whitlea! And I admit, I thought Whitlea was laughably bad at first, and now I prefer it more than Hilda. I wish Hilbert and Hilda were used on twin Battle Frontier Brains or something instead, not on player characters... :/

Cid

Years
  • I knew the Japanese names before the English ones, because I sort of got impatient with the coming of Gen V. XD

Drilbur sounds better than Moguryuu, because the "ryu" part of the Japanese name makes me think of dragons...and Drilbur doesn't seem to be intended as a dragon. I love Excadrill and Doryuuzu equally, though. Excadrill sounds like excalibur and the "ryu" sort of fits because Excadrill's headgear slightly looks like a dragon's head.
    With the Trainer names, I prefer Bel than Bianca. I like the English names of the cities and towns, though. My favourite one would probably be Icirrus City.
    I think my least favourite English name within those three categories would be Klinklang. I don't really think that it's worse than the odd sounding Gigigear, but it still felt lazy to me.

I liked PokeShifter more than PokeTransfer like most of the people here. Live Caster and High Link sounded okay, but they did create better English names (Xtransciever and Entralink).

Galvantula had a nice ring to it. Hydreigon's line had very creative names, too. But my favourite ones would probably be Chandelure and Reuniclus. Those names just work really well.

This really wasn't needed. Isshu sounded like the other region names more than Unova. Maybe they tried to be creative too much, with United States of America being integrated in the name? Nevertheless, I'm starting to get used to Unova, at least.

Aside from Accelgor to Agilder (because the "gor" makes me think of gore) and Lillipup to Yorterrie (like what Forever stated), I honestly don't think I should rename them into the fan monikers and/or Japanese names...just because I'm starting to get used to the current ones.

I actually prefer Blair and Whitlea than Hilbert and Hilda...Touya and Touko sounded nice, too. The change might have been unneccessary, but Hikari and Koki weren't used in DP anyway, so I'd still say that the English names suit them better, but only in the English versions.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    5. At the moment, all I could think of is renaming:
    - Oshawott to Wotter (water + otter). The simplicity of the fanmade name is what makes it nice.
    - Samurott to Otteronin (otter + ronin, masterless samurai), because "Samurott" seems a bit too basic and uninspired of a portmanteau, and it reminds me at times of a rotting samurai corpse. :x
    - Pignite to Pignition. Pignition just sounds a bit nicer/fuller to say.

I actually really love the actual names - Samurott is creative, imo, Samurai and otter, I mean I sure couldn't have thought of that.

Oshawott I still don't entirely get but it's better than Otter. :D

Pignition sounds too long imo, Pignite has perfect spacing. :3 I mean, length...whatever!

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I have no problem with most of the names. I don't know any of the Japanese names, so all the English names make sense to me and sound right to me.
    My favorite names with a nice ring to them: Sigilyph, Fraxure, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Liepard, Garbodor (though I don't particularly like that Pokemon), Servine, Samurott, Krookodile, Excadrill

Names that I don't particularly like, or are hard to pronounce: Cofagrigus, Alomomola, Stunfisk. The first two are just hard to pronounce, the last one I just don't get the "fisk" part of it. Not sure what I would call it, though.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Well, since I learned about the game in its Japanese origins, I prefer the Japanese names

and I really...REALLY wish they'd stop naming the Gym Leaders after elements

I mean, Cress, Chili and Cilan..really?

I preferred Hodomoe rather then "Driftveil" that sounds like a drapery store

Touko and Touya were fine

Hilda and Hilbert sound like (no offense) old farts with canes

In Gen VI, we NEED an option to set names to English or translated Japanese

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Names that I don't particularly like, or are hard to pronounce: Cofagrigus, Alomomola, Stunfisk. The first two are just hard to pronounce, the last one I just don't get the "fisk" part of it. Not sure what I would call it, though.
    I still don't get how people find Cofagrigus hard to pronounce tbh. It was easy from the start to meee.

And yeah I thought it was Stunfish >>

In Gen VI, we NEED an option to set names to English or translated Japanese

We do? Because exactly translated Japanese would be awkward for some (I assume you mean romanisations we saw on Serebii, etc?) Like uuhhhh I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but half the names like Shimama, and Mamepato would just make no sense to any of us. Actually, relevant, slightly, a few weeks ago, I was thinking about a seagull and I was like "sea... gull, irl has Pokemon puns too. :D" Okay maybe that wasn't entirely relevant, but still, without the puns we can associate less with the Pokemon and harder spelling. Idk, you could just go for English or direct Japanese but translated, meeeh. Only a few stayed the same from the romanisations or even remotely close, so... I'm not really sure but it'll be strange having that choice there. Yes I give great reasoning I know.

Years
  • 1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?

I love Hilda aka Touko because she's the coolest female protagonist ever. Hilda's a pretty good name, I like it much better than Touko. Least fave might have to be Geechisu becoming Ghetsis, such a weird name that is! I love that Cheren kept his name. Bianca is much better than Belle.

Poke Transfer and Xtransciever are cool, but Entralink seems weird.

Love Oshawott's name (otter + ocean + sea) and maybe also Gothitelle (goth + tell + belle), Patrat (patrol + rat), Tepig (tepid + pig), Snivy (snake + ivy), Zebstrika (zebra + strike), Dewott (dew + otter), Pignite (pig + ignite), Servine (serpent + vine), Samurott (samurai + otter), Emboar (ember + boar), Serperior (serpent + superior) and Beartic (bear + arctic)

Unova is way cooler. Never saw it coming.

I like the names anyway. If I had to rename one I would have let Minccino keep its Japanese name (Chillarmy).

English: Hilbert and Hilda are such cool names!

Back