• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Famitsu's 40 out of 40: Now you KNOW it's good?

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    Remember Famitsu? Known as the most critical reviewers in the industry (in Japan), where getting a 40 requires the game to be really, really good? They awarded Black and White a perfect 10 across the board (totalling Famitsu's final score of 40/40). That's awesome. (It's also, as you can see in plain English, their "best pick of this week").

By comparison of the previous years' worth of games, HG/SS scored a 37/40, while Platinum was awesome enough to score a 36/40.

Yes, according to this website, it seems like Pokémon B/W is the best Pokémon game so far.

EDIT: Uploaded a picture from the magazine.
    fam_leak-225x300.jpg

What do you think?​

Last edited by a moderator:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Overreaction much? I mean, I'm sure BW is gonna be pretty good, but 10 across the board kind of seems too over-the-top to me. I'll be fine with this if somebody points out some flaw somewhere. It means there's still progress to be made.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    My question is, is the person who rated this game liable?

Anyways, even if one person REALLY likes it doesn't eman everyone will.

i find this information unreliable and only shwos us the opinion of ONE person.

So no, Black and White WON'T be the best Pokemon game yet until we get some ACTUAL reviews that can be relied on.

Not from one person who could be some lowlife who has no life and gave it a 10/10 without a second thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Doesn't Famitsu usually rate things on a forty-point scale? Since OP only listed three tens, for all we know, the fourth score could be a one, making it 31 overall...still above average, but not perfect. XD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • My question is, is the person who rated this game liable?

So no, Black and White WON'T be the best Pokemon game yet until we get some ACTUAL reviews that can be relied on.

Not from one person who could be some lowlife who has no life and gave it a 10/10 without a second thought.
    Some low life...this is a respected in some sense magazine...

Timbjerr

Years
  • My question is, is the person who rated this game liable?

Actually, Famitsu's reviewing method is known to be significantly less influenced by bias than most, simply because four reviewers put in their opinions and give a score and then add them all up. That's where the forty-point scale comes from.

...aand I stand corrected about the missing fourth score thanks to OP's edit. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay...after seeing that score, I have a feeling Black/White could be the best Pokemon games released to date (unless the scorer(s) weren't observing the game in every detail).

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • Yes, according to this website, it seems like Pokémon B/W is the best Pokémon game so far.

EDIT: Uploaded a picture from the magazine.
    fam_leak-225x300.jpg

What do you think?​

10/10/10 across the board just means that Famitsu just got a **** ton of money from advertising. You can never really take game rating companies seriously anymore because they will just keep getting paid to say things are awesome.

Okay...after seeing that score, I have a feeling Black/White could be the best Pokemon games released to date (unless the scorer(s) weren't observing the game in every detail).

I kind of thought that after they became the fastest selling DS game of all time.

Last edited:

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Whether Black and White is the "best" is subjective honestly.

I'd be glad about BW getting a perfect score, but Famitsu isn't really that reputable review-wise.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • I think BW sounds great, but I'd not give it a ten just because it SOUNDS great. Have these people actually played the game? O_o; Either way, I don't think I'll be giving it 10/10 once I do play it; most of the Pokemon thus far don't appeal to me at all.

Timbjerr

Years
  • I wonder what other games got 40/40

and for that matter, what are the categories?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu#Perfect_scores

Famitsu's scoring method involves four reviewers independently giving the game a score from 1-10, and the four scores added together. Because of this, perfect scores are rare (although have become increasingly common in recent years due to magazine becoming one huge advertising spot), and the magazine's scores are held as being more bias-free than most.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • That is actually really good to hear. obviously I couldn't really make a proper judgment until the games were released properly, but after hearing some of the additions and changes to these games that I didn't really like, I didn't think they'd meet or surpass the levels that Generation IV got to. But having seen the Famitsu review, I'm quietly optimistic.

The Red Chain

Wow. That is intense. Especially considering there are only 15 40/40 games out of the many years Famitsu has been rating games ; Black and White now making their 15th. O_o;

Go Pokemon. :D

I know that this has been said, but wtf is Nintendogs doing with a 40/40 score? >/

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I think, looking at that list, if the games were re-reviewed, Nintendogs would be the only game that would come down. When that game was released, the technology in the DS was pretty highly advanced, and the uniqueness and gimmicky nature of the game is what warranted the high score. I think all the others are justified, so don't let the fact that Nintendogs is up there detract from the achievement that appears to have been made here with Black and White.

Back