• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
And Yamato-san, I'm the type of person who likes seeing posts without sexist remarks. I wonder if there's some chance that you could post without using any swears or variations of those words. But I guess not.

It's amazing the amount of people who complain about someone acting in a certain way, or something being run a certain way, yet they keep coming in contact with said person or said thing. The brilliant thing to do would be to leave and avoid the situation. For some people who volunteered to deal with people out of the goodness of her little black heart, they can't avoid situations. But other people have the choice.

And it seriously makes me wonder if anyone, aside from my friends, would have realized that I had a name change. Or did you all need me to tell you? Did you honestly think that they pulled some new member out of nowhere and gave them moderator powers? And how long would it have taken you to realize it if I never said anything? Sometimes, I seriously wonder if humans are just getting more stupid as time goes on.

More importantly, I think Astinus sounds like... I dunno, something out of a really cheesy fantasy novel. The kind that Eragon plagiarized from, but dismally failed. And it makes me think of an old guy sitting around dispensing sage wisdom to random members of the populace.
You people are making me want to ban all of you.

This Lounge got a few more pages because I merged the FFC discussion thread with the Lounge. Get over it.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
And Yamato-san, I'm the type of person who likes seeing posts without sexist remarks. I wonder if there's some chance that you could post without using any swears or variations of those words. But I guess not.

Lets see him get a girlfriend.

Off-topic buuuut...anyone know any other dialogue words? Other than: said, asked, questioned, laughed, replied, cried, yelled, and shouted? I'm sure I forgot a few...but those are the most common.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I found a list on a writing forum, which doesn't allow me to link to single posts. So you get the full list behind the spoiler cut.

Spoiler:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
*saves list* Wow, thanks Astinus. I'll see if I can use all of those at least once before my fic's close.

Are post-apocalyptic fics all the same? Discuss.

I haven't read many post-apocalyptic fics, and I never really got into the ones that I was reading. Like previous are said, they are generally the same but can be approached in many different ways.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
ttly? ilu 4eva

yay!!!!1

Unless you've been hitting the Glade Clean Linen, in which case I do take that as a compliment.

Yeah, I suppose mythological mpreg births can only be taken as a good thing if you're high.

Wait, no. Dude, seriously. Eight-legged horse. I don't even want to know how that came out. Semi-god or not, ow.

Sweet fancy Moses?

Nah. Just regular Moses. We're out of sweet and fancy.

And we need something Jewish related as a prompt. Month after month it's all christian biased, even though we've only had one month and it was rain.

Well, given the number of Christmas and Easter challenges (unless we count things like St. Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day, which, really, are only there for shipping and crack, respectively), I'll have to say absolutely. Passover, folks! Slaves! Burning bushes! Plagues! Exoduses! Killing first borns! Seriously!

What pokemon do you love to see in fanfics?

Anyone that isn't in the "everyone's written stories about these" groups. You know, legendaries, Pikachu family, Eevee family, Vulpix family, Torchic family (for some reason), that sort of thing.

For once, I'd like to see a trainer start out with a Wooper. I mean, let's face it. Given the trainers in the game, someone probably did.

And seconded on the Wailord and Skitty comment.

Jewishness for the April prompt? I won't be able to write anything without thinking 'HOLOCAUST! HOLOCAUST!' and envisioning the slaughter of millions of people in front of me while my sanity slowly erodes. (Seriously, I've been diagnosed as being slightly unstable mentally. Apparently I have issues about envisioning people in pain. 0.o)

Uh, well, we have unleavened bread instead. And stories about worshipping golden cows.

Taking films as an example, comparing Tank Girl to Resident Evil: Extinction (Yes, I've read the reviews.) just doesn't work, even though they're kind of on the same level. Yes, you have two broader categories (the dystopian fledgling society versus the "everyone is dead, so now we need to survive" concept), but a lot of the times, that's like trying to categorize countries into continents and only looking at the continent to form a generalization to cover the entire subgenre. That is, there may be a few key similarities between France and Germany, but if you actually look, they're really nothing alike.

In the same way, post-apocalyptic fiction may fall into either of those two categories, but there's also categories under that, depending on the variations in the plot themselves. While I don't often dapple in post-apocalyptic myself (as in, I've seen plenty of post-apocalyptic films but haven't read nearly enough in the genre), I think it's fairly safe to say that not all stories within the post-apocalyptic genre are basically "same plotline, different character names." After all, just look at the aforementioned comparison between Tank Girl and Resident Evil.

Off-topic buuuut...anyone know any other dialogue words? Other than: said, asked, questioned, laughed, replied, cried, yelled, and shouted? I'm sure I forgot a few...but those are the most common.

Complained, responded, called, barked, snapped -- the list is pretty long, actually.

Usually in writing, though, it's a good idea (or, at least, I was taught this in creative writing classes) to lessen your dependency on them. As in, you can say said a couple of times, as the character's emotions would already be implied by what they're actually saying or what they do (or look like) in the scene. For example, a person who stomps into a room and insults another character will obviously be angry, so most likely, their tone of voice will probably be louder and tenser than normal. The other words can be used but only when there's really no other way to imply their tone of voice (like "whispered" if a character is doing so in a public area).

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
Years
What pokemon do you love to see in fanfics?

There are quite a few that I always really like to see in fics, but my favorites to see are Snorunt, Glalie, Froslass, Wynaut, Wobbuffet, Nosepass, and Probopass. I also still want very much to see more of Voltorb and Electrode in fics.

I doubt it. I have a hard time believing there's any genre in which all the stories are the same, for that matter.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I should also warn against using the more "out-there" words on that list.

"Jubilations!" he effervesced. "My boyfriend can has hat now!"

Yeah, using "effervesced" as a dialogue tag will just make me "wtf" at the story. Unless your character was giving off bubbles. Then it's all right.

Some of those words aren't even real dialogue tags. I have never heard anyone "wink" a word before.

Nearly reminds me of the time someone thought "inconspicuous" was a verb. Have you inconspicuous today?

Yeah, I suppose mythological mpreg births can only be taken as a good thing if you're high.
Thanks, Jax. Now I'm reminded that I have to explain in a story for my Sim couple how one of them got pregnant even though they're both male.

i can has hug now?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
@Astinus-
Ah, thankies. -eats list- Gain knowledge by eating. O.o

@Jax-
And thank you! I'll eat that one later. :D

Edit:

Nearly reminds me of the time someone thought "inconspicuous" was a verb. Have you inconspicuous today?

-spit- Wow. X.o

Thanks, Jax. Now I'm reminded that I have to explain in a story for my Sim couple how one of them got pregnant even though they're both male.

My Sim jumped out of the shower and yelled at me and my cousin one time...and she had her baby. She walked around naked with it all day. And when her husband and other kids got home, they did nothing. Odd, yet...slighty amusing.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
Years
Some of those words aren't even real dialogue tags. I have never heard anyone "wink" a word before.

Yeah, and how does one "smile" a word? O.o Okay, maybe if one had a grill with some word spelled out in diamonds on it, but otherwise... XP

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, and how does one "smile" a word? O.o Okay, maybe if one had a grill with some word spelled out in diamonds on it, but otherwise... XP

Nice. xP

I was reading something by another classmate in 1st period(complete preps in here, by the way) and I questioned whether 'eated' was a dialogue tag or a word in general. O_o Idiots.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
*hugs Astinus*

And thank you! I'll eat that one later. :D

No prob.

Incidentally, I just remembered an awesome writing prompt I was told about at a con panel this weekend. Not that I think we should definitely make another thread for it, but it's just this challenge that I thought would be cool to share:

Basically, take really bad summaries off FFNet. Write stories for them.

The example involved the summary "Hermione and Draco become Head Boy and Girl. Stuff happens," Hermione using a permanent gender change spell, and Draco deciding that he needs to explore his feminine side (by employing Eugene -- i.e. male!Hermione -- to teach him).

So, yes. This sort of challenge has the potential for being incredibly awesome. What do you all think?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The example involved the summary "Hermione and Draco become Head Boy and Girl. Stuff happens," Hermione using a permanent gender change spell, and Draco deciding that he needs to explore his feminine side (by employing Eugene -- i.e. male!Hermione -- to teach him).

So, yes. This sort of challenge has the potential for being incredibly awesome. What do you all think?

I'm slightly disturbed here.

Anyway, not something I'd be doing anytime soon, but sounds interesting. Although, I wouldn't want to be prompted with that summary. X.x

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
That'd be a really fun prompt Jax but unfortunately, we can only write about things that are Pokemon-related. Most of the Pokemon fics at FF.net are boring, trainer fics or retarded shippings.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That'd be a really fun prompt Jax but unfortunately, we can only write about things that are Pokemon-related. Most of the Pokemon fics at FF.net are boring, trainer fics or retarded shippings.

Retarded ships? Such as?

Ew...like...AshxRandomTree. :O

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Blazeshipping better not be on that list of retarded shippings. That ship found it's way into my story series.

And I wandered over to ff.net to see what awesomely bad summaries I could find. I had to quickly leave, since I felt my brain cells leaving via my ears. But I found one.

random summary from ff.net Pokemon section said:
Contest,Poke, and Ikarishipping This story is a half IM half story kind of story. This is just something I whipped up because I wanted to write about these couples. R&R PLEASE! I suck at summaries, so I didn't write one.....READ!
I chortled at the "This story is half IM half story kind of story."

@Astinus-
Ah, thankies. -eats list- Gain knowledge by eating. O.o
*The more you know!*

*hugs Astinus*
*huggles*

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

The Harry Potter summary was only an example. I meant that we would look only in the Pokemon fandom for whatever material we can find. While I don't deny that Pokemon fics tend to be boring, Pokemon summaries can be hilarious if you do some digging. For example:

ash is boring so i replace him with someone more interestang- blackbeard the pirate

Yeah, uh, that one is serious, too.

For a less cracky example that will probably take a little more thinking to actually get a story for:

may goes to the swamp to find a talking politoed. what will she do if he asks her for a big favor?

You could do a lot with a summary, whether you lop off the shipping part of it or not. You don't even need to do a humor fic. It just needs to be inspired by the bad summary.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
And it seriously makes me wonder if anyone, aside from my friends, would have realized that I had a name change. Or did you all need me to tell you? Did you honestly think that they pulled some new member out of nowhere and gave them moderator powers? And how long would it have taken you to realize it if I never said anything? Sometimes, I seriously wonder if humans are just getting more stupid as time goes on.

You people are making me want to ban all of you.

This Lounge got a few more pages because I merged the FFC discussion thread with the Lounge. Get over it.

Er...

Okay, well, I won't make the mistake of joking about your new username again... *sweatdrop*

And even if I didn't post here, I knew you were Hanako before, I just didn't have the time or motivation to comment on it before. If only because all posts that were by "Hanako Tabris" were now by "Astinus".

And that old sage thing was meant to be a compliment. Completely. I happen to like old sage guys. My Grandfather is an old sage guy. Only instead of advice about saving the world, he tells me how to dig fence posts (and more recently how to drive).

Er... now that I've finished babbling, I can move on with the topic...

What Pokemon do you like to see?

It's not so much the species as the personality. I like seeing Pokemon that deviate from the "norm" associated with their particular species (things like a Seaking with testosterone issues, for example). And I like flying types in general, provided their purpose in the story is not simply to either a) fly the main character from points A to B or b) POP TEH GIGANT BALLOONZORZ!!!!111!!!11!! But in terms of pure species, I'd have to say that I like fics that center around Zangoose or Pidgeot, because they rank as two of my all time favorites. And I admit, I have a soft spot for Pikachu as well, just so long as they aren't a clone of Ash's Pikachu and aren't being used as a "Mary-Sue" accessory.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Has anyone realised how active this thread is now that we can mess around a little? I quite like the new type of lounge we have. Yamato, you are really coming on to me as a sexist, it seems in every post you make you have to make fun of the feminine race somehow. Astinus and Jax, I have never seen such 1337 speak from you!

Moving on from tha fact that I can't come up with something smart to make people laugh, I'd really like the April Fan Fiction Challenge prompt to be Patrick Pitter. I really think we could all make great stories from that prompt. Oh, and I think that Saturn would be an absolutely beautiful prompt as well.

What Pok?mon do I like to see? Most Legendary Pok?mon, so long as they're used realistically and don't have God powers. And Pok?mon the don't just faint after they fall off a cliff, Pok?mon that die. I also enjoy Starmie, Raichu, Kingdra and long walks by the beach.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011
I'd second long walks by the beach. *is a romantic at heart*

I dunno about Patrick Pitter, but I already have a lovely seed of an idea from the prompt "Saturn".

"Everyone likes to believe that Clefairy came from the moon. In truth, they came from Saturn." :p

*is all for Clefairy-came-from-space-to-destroy-us-all theory.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back