• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • What genres do you prefer NOT to see in fanfics?
    Well, pretty much I'm okay with every genre though I'll just say a few of my least favorites

-Science Fiction: For some odd reason I'm not into Science Fiction that much. Probably because I'm not a science person. :X

-Romance. If it's the central genre, then it won't hold my interest that much. True, I read a few shipping fics but only if there's really good or holds my interest.

And speaking of anime and shipping, I'm okay with reading fics centered around or have the anime characters. Sometimes I'm interested in seeing the writers still have them in character but at the same time add a bit more spice to them. And I don't mind reading shipping fics but it's just that it always seems ninety percent if there's anime characters they'll be a shipping somewhere. O.o

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    What genre do you prefer to see in pokemon fanfics?

Umm... I can generally read just about anything. I do like pokémon POV fics and stories that center around death and friendship/relationships between people (in a totally non-cheesy way, BtW).

What genres do you prefer NOT to see in fanfics?

Not really a genre, but I dislike script fics for some reason. Not because they're bad, per se, I just don't like to read them.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Oni Raichu, for inspiration I do one or all of the following:

1. Talk about what you want to do next. Find someone that won't care about spoilers, and simply talk at them about what you want to do. Saying things out loud is better than having said things in your head, for some reason. It cements them in your mind and allows you to focus more in detail on your writing, I guess. If you simply have things in your head, you will get stuck rehashing the same couple of chapter elements and will never be able to fully flesh out the chapter.

2. Re-read what you have done. Seriously. I was extremely skeptical about doing this, as I figured that I knew what I had written and didn't need to reread my work. Well guess what? Rereading does two things: it allows you to find plot elements you may not remember that you put in (believe me, this happens a lot, especially if you're me), and it also may actually re-inspire you. You'll basically be reading a story perfectly tailored to your liking, which may jump start the creative process.

3. Read other works in your genre. If you don't have any material going into your brain, it's hard to have anything coming out. You also learn what has been done before, so you can avoid re-inventing the wheel. Also, you may be able to implement something (slightly or majorly tweaked, of course) from another author. For instance, I started writing the Eon Chronicles while reading Terry Brooks' Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy: he primarily writes epics that have a heavy emphasis on character development, and I liked that, so I'm using that formula as the base of my fic.

4. Stimulate your brain. This includes everything from listening to music to walking around outside to taking a shower. I don't really know why the last one works, but it does. Try to do things that get you thinking, and avoid things that absorb your attention like the plague. Things grouped into the latter category would be mindlessly watching t.v., mindlessly playing video games, and the like. Some t.v./video games is good, as long as it makes you think or otherwise inspires you (Nature shows are good but sometimes slightly boring, movies with lots of academy awards are usually good, and RPGs can be good).

Hope those help.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Alright, seeing as we're all gathered here tonight...

What is your favorite oneshot/ ongoing fanfic on this forum or outside it outside your own work?

No contest for me: "The Ties that Bind" by our very own Saffire Persian is still my favorite one shot, ever. It helped that I read it right after my dog died. And as for ongoing fanfics, I happen to have taken a liking to a certain fic that sounds remarkably like a certain play by a certain dead Englishman who was certainly a good writer. For certain.

Yeah, I made a bet that I'd use the word "certain" or its derivative forms exactly five times today. I win.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • What is your favorite oneshot/ ongoing fanfic on this forum or outside it outside your own work?

My favorite One-shot of all time that I have saved on my computer is Saffire Persian's, "The Ties that Bind." Reading this simple story opened my eyes that fanfiction isn't just a way to show how much you love a certain fiction, but a whole different type of beauty in itself. Then there's Chibi Pika's "The Legendarian Chronicles," which after reading, convinced me that if she could make me smile while reading her works, I also want to make others smile while reading what I write. I hope to one day create that sensation in at least one person that I got while reading these two masterpieces.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I liked our very own Dragonfree's Scyther's Story quite a bit. I haven't read much in terms of Pokemon fiction, but that was certainly a well done piece.

EDIT: And The Ties That Bind. Just read it. Sapphire Persian...you rock.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • What is your favorite oneshot/ ongoing fanfic on this forum or outside it outside your own work?

Defiantly Saffire's "The Ties That Bond". That story basically what got me started fanfiction. ^^ Also, Astinus' parody fic she posted here as that story inspired me to finally decide to go ahead with that parody (speaking of which, should do the next chapter tonight XD)

Outside of forums, in Pokemasters forums there's this one shot called "Stains". It uses a variety of writing styles (from letter writing to different POVs to script writing, I'm not kidding). Also, there's an aura of mystery to it. ^^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Best One-shot I've read? So far, purple_drake's "The Taming of the Northern Wind." It really got me thinking about an oft-ignored game NPC and the Pokemon of his obsession in a whole new light.

As for best ongoing fic? I really can't say, as every one I consider myself a "fan" of has its own standout qualities that draws me to keep reading them. It's difficult to judge or compare them because they each excel at something different.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

Out of OneShots, Saffire Persian's is very nice. It's poetic and I really enjoyed reading it.

For ongoing fan fics, I'll say bobandbill's The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum. Although, I'm a little behind in reading it...my school blocked it now. -.-

And now...here goes that movie about WW2 I have to make...growl. And I'm hungry. But it's taco salad day...Silver likey. <3

EDIT: -spazz- Holy cow! When did I become a moderator?!?! O_o It's April Fool's Day...that must be it...

Last edited:

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Heh-heh, Asty, now I have the power to control you!

*gives 1000000 infractions*

Just kiding mah luvly pear, I luv u. *givs hugg*

What is your favorite oneshot/ ongoing fanfic on this forum or outside it outside your own work?

I liked Breezy's story "Who Killed Brendan Birch."

As for one-shots, I remember some guy (I believe his name was Ranger O'Brien) who made a story called 'Jump'. That was my favorite.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ah, a sense of power overwhelms me.

Anyway, my friend was reading the written version of Just A Brother and suddenly screamed, "Whoa!! They took a shower together?!" and followed with, "Why's Gold not wearing pants?!".

I found this quite hilarious, considering I never implied that into the story. Makes me wanna go back and add it in there just for fun...heh heh.

As for the Who Killed Brendan Birch, I might have to take a look at that. :D

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Anyway, my friend was reading the written version of Just A Brother and suddenly screamed, "Whoa!! They took a shower together?!" and followed with, "Why's Gold not wearing pants?!".

Wait...what? Where did that even come from? Is the written version the same as the online version?

And Saffire...I completely misspelled your name back there...I apologize for my epic fail.

Hmmm...I'm a mod now, apparently. I wonder if that's superficial for April Fool's Day or if I've actually been endowed with all the powers that being a mod implies...*goes to check out powers*

EDIT: My powers are zilch. Ho hum.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Wait...what? Where did that even come from? Is the written version the same as the online version?

Yes, they are. This was the beginning of chapter five she was reading. You'll see when I post it...it really was not implied. Then we had a conversation about 'Super Gold' because she thought his pants were slung over his back.

About the shower part...that was...odd. Even being a little supportive of PreciousMetalShipping, it's just kinda creepy...but I think that was on my part the way I wrote the sentence. O.x

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • My favorite fanfics ever:

- The Ties that Bind by Saffire Persian. Gee, I'm starting off unoriginal, aren't I? I don't think there's anyone who wasn't touched by this. It was just so perfectly built up. Everything in it felt right. I've read it five or six times over and I cry every time.
    - Me and My Flame by whatshername, an old (as in R/B/Y-era) completed 53-chapter story centering around two Charizard but with an array of side characters and a captivating plot. It just has so many memorable characters and scenes. It's one of the "omg trainers are ebil!" genre (although it doesn't come across as as preachy about it as some "oh no I got captured and now I will never see my family again and curse upon this horrible human who stuffed me into this horrible ball angst angst" fics I've seen), and I've never much liked that, but it makes it work. It also holds the title of being quite literally the only long piece of fanfiction that I have liked enough to read more than once in its entirety. (I've read it three times, in fact.)
    - Tangled Web by a guy who keeps changing his name but while he was posting that fic on TPM I knew him as ChicRocketJames. One of the most awesome writing styles ever; it's discontinued, but oh my, it was such a genius fic while it lasted. Basically it was a trainer fic about this guy who had his trainer license revoked when he was a kid and therefore steals one from a guy he finds murdered and mutilated by a Houndoom in a forest (along with the guy's Torchic, only one of the several awesomely well-developed Pokémon characters of the fic). The dialogue was often hilarious, the style readable and witty, and the characters vivid and alive. Unbelievably, the author has disowned it and removed it from his FanFiction.Net account, but it can still be found on TPM.
    - The Last of Its Kind by the same guy as Tangled Web. Basically a one-shot about this guy who's traveling through a desert to reach the next Gym in his journey when a Pokémon called Toxitrice, thought to be extinct, comes along and murders first his Absol, then all his other Pokémon in their sleep, and finally him. The sheer morbidity is to die for, especially one particular line that's still one of my favorite quotes from any fanfiction ever. I've read this over quite a few times, too.

Yeah. I really need to read more, though. :/

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Sounds like you read enough, Dragonfree. O.o

No more moderating. ;-;

Anyway, I thought of something as I was writing 2nd period...is there anything wrong with having someone not eat throughout the fan fic? I mean this in two ways:

1. They haven't eaten in 2-7 days and have openly admitted to it.
    2. Not eating throughout the fan fic, because there are some time skips and eating isn't relevant to the story, but the fact that it is relevant to the character living makes you wonder.

Anything wrong in that? Just a thought.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Anyway, I thought of something as I was writing 2nd period...is there anything wrong with having someone not eat throughout the fan fic? I mean this in two ways:

2. Not eating throughout the fan fic, because there are some time skips and eating isn't relevant to the story, but the fact that it is relevant to the character living makes you wonder.

There's nothing wrong with it morally, I think, if the story calls for it. (You might get a bit of controversy, but hey, with fanfiction, I think you can get away with it because what hasn't fanfiction done? XD) There's just something scientifically you'll want to keep in mind, and that's that there's only a certain number of days before a normal human being dies from starvation. I think that a normal person could probably go without food for a couple of days (because a short amount of research has brought up the fact that sometimes, this is actually done for medical reasons), but a week without anything would probably kill most people. Of course, it also depends on the character and whether or not this actually is revealing something (such as the possibility that your character isn't human). Your readers (and no doubt other characters) might wonder, though. o_o

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • There's nothing wrong with it morally, I think, if the story calls for it. (You might get a bit of controversy, but hey, with fanfiction, I think you can get away with it because what hasn't fanfiction done? XD) There's just something scientifically you'll want to keep in mind, and that's that there's only a certain number of days before a normal human being dies from starvation. I think that a normal person could probably go without food for a couple of days (because a short amount of research has brought up the fact that sometimes, this is actually done for medical reasons), but a week without anything would probably kill most people. Of course, it also depends on the character and whether or not this actually is revealing something (such as the possibility that your character isn't human). Your readers (and no doubt other characters) might wonder, though. o_o

Ah, ok. I only did two days, so that's good.

It's not revealing a lot...just the fact that he wasn't hungry for two days. O_o And no, this inspiration wasn't from myself, it's actually from people around me.

My other friend pointed out some things that weren't implied either. xD He asked if Gold and Silver always stayed at each other's houses. He also asked if they were watching each other get dressed...and in fact, I never said that they weren't. ;D I'll go back and fix that before it's posted.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Anyway, I thought of something as I was writing 2nd period...is there anything wrong with having someone not eat throughout the fan fic? I mean this in two ways:

1. There are times when people do have to go without food for a few days at a time (like being lost in the woods or when your university closes their dining halls for break without telling anybody...) so it's not unheard of.
    2. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are lots of mundane things we have to do as humans that would make for very boring filler. Most readers would just assume that your character eats/sleeps/change clothes during time skips unless (as in #1) they explicitly say they haven't done so.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • 2. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are lots of mundane things we have to do as humans that would make for very boring filler. Most readers would just assume that your character eats/sleeps/change clothes during time skips unless (as in #1) they explicitly say they haven't done so.

And bathes. I had to mention that...but my friend thought that they took a shower together. O_o And I even said they flipped a coin for the first shower, not for who gets to be the slave in the shower.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • 1. They haven't eaten in 2-7 days and have openly admitted to it.
    I don't think anyone will pester you about eating habits unless they can't find anything else wrong with your fic. Eating can be implied during timeskips, as it is a necessary function in life. However, taking showers is a different story entirely, so you might want to mention your character taking one at every Pokemon Center stop.

New Topic: What problems did you face when you first began writing fanfiction?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back