• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
  • What Pokemon do you have as the "lead" Pokemon in your fic? In the games, everybody has that "lead" Pokemon that they always use. What Pokemon would you like to see getting a lead role in fan fictions?

My main characters are teamed up with the two Latis in my fic, but I won't count them because they aren't exactly in trainer-trainee relationships. Otherwise, here goes:

Ren: nothing (yet).
    Kairn: Houndoom.
    Eli: Torkoal.
    Griffith: Gengar.
    Gail: Absol.
    Clave: Weavile
    Spoiler:
    Venin: Cacturne.
    Tira: Tyranitar.

More to come. Basically, pokeballs don't exist yet in my fic, so no one but people in high authority have more than one pokemon. This way, I get more time to develop each human/pokemon relationship.

(seriously, some of the entrie are interesting. XD)

Actually, I find almost all of them interesting. The entries help you discern how pokemon behave, which can help you decide on characteristics if you include them in a fic. I'm literally building the Eon Chronicles around the Lati's entries, and I chose a lot of my other pokemon because of their respective blurbs in the games.

By the by...where do all of you get your fic banners made? I've been needing one for mine for a while now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Dang, I just had an hour tornado warning. I had to stay at school. It was...horrible. On the bright side, it inspired a one-shot. I dunno if I'll go through with it, though...but it was good inspiration.

A tonado warning? Sounds... interesting - what was it like? We don't get tornados in Australia, execpt toprical cyclones occassionally in Northern Australia, which is nowhere nere me...
    You could live where I do currently, and have nothing happen. It's rather boring to not have any excitement with the weather. Not even anywhere close to me gets something.

What Pokemon have you never seen in a Fan Fiction?
    Let's see... a lot of the lesser known Water-types (Kingdra!), the fossils except for perhaps small occasion of Aerodactyl, a lot of the Grass-types (Tangela! Bellossom! Sunflora!), and like any Normal-type that's not Eevee. And Zubat. I love Zubat, and had to make one a main character for my next fic.

I l-love Delibird. ;-; Come to think of it, I've never read something with a...Magby, Pupitar, or Cascoon. xD And never Smeargle.
    Delibird and Ponyta/Rapidash have constant mentionings in my fic. And there was a Pupitar in a Mystery Dungeon fic...written by someone...on this board... The name will come to me at some point.

By the by...where do all of you get your fic banners made? I've been needing one for mine for a while now.
    I believe a certain Persian-fan might be willing to help out. Or you could head over to the Art Section on this board and poke around.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Should I just copy/paste it over here? Also, I'll need permission to triple post, as the thread contains three topics: the quotations, homonyms, and general comma/semicolon guidelines
    Permission granted, friend.

The grammar guide's up, but the board smushed all three of the topics into one post, so some scrolling is necessary.

Link here.

What Pokemon do you have as the "lead" Pokemon in your fic? In the games, everybody has that "lead" Pokemon that they always use. What Pokemon would you like to see getting a lead role in fan fictions?
    My character's lead Pokemon is a Meowth that evolves into Persian. I'd really like to see Meowth more often in a non-"evil/TR" role. Also, I'd like to see more of Voltorb/Electrode and Koffing/Weezing.

Butterfree, Bellsprout line, most "fish-like" Water types (with Magikarp being an exception), many of the underused 4th gen Pokemon... Also Rattata/Zubat in any role other than "annoying random Pokemon that hero must contend with."

And one more thing:
    What Pokemon have you never seen in a Fan Fiction?...and like any Normal-type that's not Eevee.
    You've seen one other fic with a Normal type (points at sig to fic that hopefully will be updated by end of month)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • By the by...where do all of you get your fic banners made? I've been needing one for mine for a while now.
    I believe a certain Persian-fan might be willing to help out. Or you could head over to the Art Section on this board and poke around.
    'Nuff said. ;)

I've a fair few Pokemon that appear in my fic - a few trainer battles from time to time - Colosseum(Orre) trainer's teams had more variety than the GBA games... all those Zigzagoon or Tailow or Rattata... which is odd, when you consider the state of Orre and the wild Pokemon population.
    Still - I've had Quagsire to Spoink to Lotad to Skiploom appear thus far - granted, some are comeos or short mentions however.
    Silver - there be a Delibird soon enough in my story, so that's one of them...

Let's see... a lot of the lesser known Water-types (Kingdra!), the fossils except for perhaps small occasion of Aerodactyl, a lot of the Grass-types (Tangela! Bellossom! Sunflora!), and like any Normal-type that's not Eevee. And Zubat. I love Zubat, and had to make one a main character for my next fic.
    I'd have to agree with that - rarely see them as well. One doesn't often see much of the UU Pokemon... and considering the amount of water types about, there's bound to be some less often seen than others. Although the fic that I mentioned that had a Voltorb as a starter also had a Zubat as the first Pokemon that was caught...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    The grammar guide's up, but the board smushed all three of the topics into one post, so some scrolling is necessary.

Link here.
    It is now stickied, and will be linked in the rules thread...once I finish rewriting the rules.

Would you like me to try and fix the smooshed post, or will you like to do that yourself?

You've seen one other fic with a Normal type (points at sig to fic that hopefully will be updated by end of month)
    I have a horrible memory. Sorry.

I still owe TurtleKing and Pie a review, and my mind keeps slipping on getting around to it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I still owe TurtleKing and Pie a review, and my mind keeps slipping on getting around to it.
    You mentioned me too in a PM... ;) But I can wait - don't rush to it.

Does anyone have problems in getting distracted from writing? I sure do... such as right now... anyone have any ways to combat this besides forcing oneself to get to work, or is the hard way the only way?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    You mentioned me too in a PM... ;) But I can wait - don't rush to it.
    See? Horrible memory. I still have that PM lying around, too.

Does anyone have problems in getting distracted from writing? I sure do... such as right now... anyone have any ways to combat this besides forcing oneself to get to work, or is the hard way the only way?
    Sometimes I give myself a break from writing. The words just are not coming, and so I ease myself away. Forcing myself to write makes the words seem forced, and the magic of writing is lost. But after a while, I plop myself back into the chair and keep writing, since the magic comes back at some point.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Sometimes I give myself a break from writing. The words just are not coming, and so I ease myself away. Forcing myself to write makes the words seem forced, and the magic of writing is lost. But after a while, I plop myself back into the chair and keep writing, since the magic comes back at some point.
    Yeah, that's mostly my viewpoint... just only have now a decent oppotunuity to get back to work on it for a while as schoolwork and tests have faded for a moment, and don't want to waste much time on not taking advantage of it... techniqually have had near a month 'break' from writing and instead had schoolwork galore...

Oh well - listerning to music should help. Have a fair few ideas as well...

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Does anyone have problems in getting distracted from writing? I sure do... such as right now... anyone have any ways to combat this besides forcing oneself to get to work, or is the hard way the only way?

Story of my freakin' life. I always, always get distracted when it comes to writing. Once I get things rolling it's usually not so bad, but I can sit and rack my brain over the starting point for hours at an end without coming up with anything I can stand to look at. D=

And no, I haven't found any definite solutions to that problem, something that my poor, neglected fic stubs can attest to. ;.; One method that I've found fairly useful, though, is just taking an empty word document and writing whatever words pop into my head for about a page or so; helps to get the gathered stupidity out of my head. XD

Other than that, I just stare at blank pages and get depressed. .__.

Oh, and sometimes going to the lounge helps get my lazy muse to work. :3

What problems did you face when you first began writing fanfiction?

Same as I do now; restricting the scope of my story and focusing it into a relevant whole. Also, laying down a firm starting point to build up the rest of the fic on. (Something which has not been helped by the lack of writing time I suffer from these days >.<) Names also give me problems, particularly ones for locations. Since I'm using a made-up region, that makes for a lot of roadblocks, buuut I'll get there eventually.

Emphasis being on 'eventually'. xD

What 4th-gen Pokemon do you see to be used more than others in fics?

Lucario, definitely. Can't swing a dead Spinda around without hitting a Lucario. I've never really been fond of that pokemon, to be honest. :< I also see the Shinx line around quite a bit (I'd like to add Shining Nightmare to the list of fics that include that one).

What Pokemon do you have as the "lead" Pokemon in your fic? In the games, everybody has that "lead" Pokemon that they always use. What Pokemon would you like to see getting a lead role in fan fictions?

Ho-hum...I have a number of characters for a number of plot ideas. For the one I've currently chosen to process (and hope to get released eventually too), the main character's lead, as you call it, is a Natu. Not only is it a sorely neglected pokémon whose evolution line I've always liked, but it also has that combination of cutesy quirkiness and potential for really creepy stuff (psychic type, stares off into space for no apparent reason, connection with divining the future...I like. >D) that so few others can provide. Plus, the Xatu ability to see the future along with the evolution from a (by pokédex canon) flightless bird to a flying one mesh nicely with what I have in mind.

Other characters I've toyed with but which may or may not come into use have leads including a Castform (inspired by the rain prompt. I'm most likely going to use this one at some point), a Ralts (the emotion sensing part is oh-so tempting, and it does bring a much-loved RP character of mine to mind. *sigh* Good times...) and a Murkrow (just looove Murkrow's look, always had. Plus, there's the whole villainousness of it all. xD).

As for others I'd like to see in lead roles. Delibird, definitely; I just love the design on that one. Also, neglected little things like Shuppet (a pokémon which can also be linked to the emotion thing like the Ralts line but which always seems to get shunned in favor of the former. :<), Qwilfish (I swear I'm going to add a murder by Qwilfish into a fic one of these days), Shedinja (Creepy cool pokémon with an exceptional origin), Unown (again, there's the whole air of mystery thing), Nosepass and its evo (Just love that moustache xD), Kecleon (another pokemon with an exceptional ability) and any of the other rarely seen species out there.

A very large chunk of the fourth and second generation species certainly. Also the multi-heads like Dugtrio, Doduo, and Exeggutor, most deep-sea species like Wailord, Chinchou, Huntail and Relicanth or just generally pokémon that can't move out of water (Goldeen, Finneon, etc.). Most flying types aside from the generic picks. A number of oddbird pokemon like Kecleon, Spinda and Luvdisc. There are so many species with awesome potential that are getting overlooked. T_T

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Banette, Hitmontop, Delibird, Lapras, Kangaskhan, and Primape.
    I've got a Lapras in my fic. :o She's one of the more prominent Pokémon, even.

Come to think of it, I've never read something with a...Magby, Pupitar, or Cascoon. xD
    The Quest for the Legends also has a Pupitar. :o Although he just evolved. And it's in the version not posted here.

the fossils except for perhaps small occasion of Aerodactyl
    Scyther's Story has a Kabutops. (That same Kabutops also appears in The Quest for the Legends, but only briefly.) And I know a fic where one of the main characters is a fossil lover, and he has Omanyte, Kabutops, Anorith and Cradily.

Butterfree, Bellsprout line
    I've got a Butterfree in my fic too. :o And a Gym leader with a Victreebel. I love Victreebel. :3

most deep-sea species like Wailord, Chinchou, Huntail and Relicanth
    Morphic has a Chinchou morph. And Relicanth briefly appears in The Quest for the Legends.

Whoo. I feel original all of a sudden. Never happened before, considering that every single one of my favorite Pokémon either has a major fan following or mysteriously gains one just as I start to like it. <_<

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Ah, the magic of teh intarweb: making everything we thought we were the originator of turn out to be someone else's idea too.

Speaking of which...

Have you ever written a fanfic under the impression that it was a completely original idea, only to find out that somebody else had written one with a similar plot/main character/overall story structure and posted it before you did?

Me, I've never had this happen because I always write stories under the assumption that somewhere on the internet someone is writing almost the same story I am and probably doing a better job. I always check before I post anything big to see if someone else on the forum has a similar fanfic up, so that minimizes my chances of looking like a plagiarist.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Astinus said:
    And there was a Pupitar in a Mystery Dungeon fic...written by someone...on this board... The name will come to me at some point.
    O_O How could you forget? You were like, my only reviewer...

Does anyone have problems in getting distracted from writing?

Hah, you don't know the half of it. Ironically, the thing that distrcts me the most from writing is PC itself. If it get's really frustrating, I disconnect my internet, only to turn it back on to go on Serebii and see exactly how a certain Pokemon looks. Five minutes later I find myself on their forum >_>

Have you ever written a fanfic under the impression that it was a completely original idea, only to find out that somebody else had written one with a similar plot/main character/overall story structure and posted it before you did?

This somewhat happened to me with my friend, Jeff. Although our plots were very different, for about three chapters striaght very similar events were happening in our fics. I guess that's what happens when two people constantly share ideas with one another.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh well - listerning to music should help. Have a fair few ideas as well...

I listened to music the entire time I was writing chapter one to Just A Brother. :D

I write at school...lately my bio tech project got in the way, and we were trying to play matchmaker with Em and Jesse. O_o But since the project's done and thoe lovely couple went out last night, I think I"m good. ^^

I think of a lot of ideas, and I do wonder if someone's already thought of it. I do plan on writing a oneshot about my Gold character and Crystal character, though. I won't give any spoilers, but I doubt ayone has thought of my plan too often. ;D

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • Age 29
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014

I've noticed a lack of Geodude in fanfics. The little flying rock, thing, is always left out ;_;

I also never see goldeen, hoothoot, MAGIKARP, and horsea. Basically any first or second generation pokemon that's not legendary a starter or some yellow rat. ;;

Everyone in their lifetime gets this idea like "OMIGAWD! I'LL MAKE SOME KID GO ON A POKEMON GERNY WITH THEIR CLOSEST FRIENDS. SO ORIGINEL!"

...then they realize that's only been, oh, 10,000 times?

All the time. If you were to look at my documents, you'll see about 50 pieces of writing that is unfinished.

Bay

Years
  • Have you ever written a fanfic under the impression that it was a completely original idea, only to find out that somebody else had written one with a similar plot/main character/overall story structure and posted it before you did?

Well, pretty much my plots are unorginal in the first place because I tend to have my stories based off of my favorite books and then Pokemonized it. :X I try to give my own twists and characters though. XD

Anyways, there's one time at Serebii Duncan and I kind of used the same writing style and used it to make our scenes more suspensful and both of us used it for the same purpose: to do heartbeats. XD He posted his scene first and then I said how I used the same writing style too, but that I'm not mad at him, he didn't know about that, and he used it better then me. XD

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Have you ever written a fanfic under the impression that it was a completely original idea, only to find out that somebody else had written one with a similar plot/main character/overall story structure and posted it before you did?

My fic: Eon Chronicles.
    Focus characters: Ren and Latias.
    Other information: pairing between Ren and Latias allows for use of special abilities by the human, major method of fighting is swordfighting.
    Setting: medieval times.

Other fic: One Latias.
    Focus characters: Nadroj and Latias.
    Other information: pairing between Nadroj and Latias allows for use of special abilities by the human, major method of fighting is swordfighting.
    Setting: future. *whew*

So yes. Besides the setting, our fics are nearly the same. It's a bit scary, too, as we had never seen each others' fics before nor had we ever even met each other before we started writing. We are still writing our respective fics, and they are still similar enough to be sequals, but we have plenty of different situations and we're building our characters differently.

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
    Years

I accutally accidently did that to a movie. In the fourth chapter of my fic, some ppl were stuck behind a car and bein' attacked some bad ppl on the other side of the car. One of the ppl said "We need a distraction!" and the main character provided said distraction. And the guy behind the car took out the bad guy. After i finished the chapter my friend showed up two days later with a movie called "American Outlaws" The opening seen of the movie was the seen i just described with Jesse James providing the distraction, and I'd never even seen American Outlaws before!! >_<

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh my gosh. My real life influences my fic so much.

There was a senior prank where there was a Chik-Fil-A cow hanging from the main building entrance, all the wires were pulled out and shoved at the back entrance, there was vasoline on the entrance stairs, and a tree got egg-rolled. And then the principal(AKA: The Shark) put the cow in the back of his truck. Dude, it's sooo going in my fic...somewhere. In which, brings up something I've come across...

What is you opinion on Lost Chapters? And have you ever read one in a Fan Fic?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • What is you opinion on Lost Chapters? And have you ever read one in a Fan Fic?

I've never actually read a "Lost Chapter" but people have made movie chapters (which have absolutely nothing to do with the main story while lost chapters usually fill in gaps and plot holes). I find them a bit unnecessary and probably won't ever do one unless the main storyline is over.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I may need lost chapters, even though I'm on chapter 22 and have barely even started the story (I think I overdo things sometimes...).

On that note, however, I've never seen a fic with lost chapters. Most people manage to write everything they want to write, I suppose, or they decide that it isn't worth it to go back and insert a new chapter in the middle of the story.

Quick question: can you change the name of your fic? I slapped a title on a new one I just posted, but it isn't going to work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back