• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    What 4th-gen Pokemon do you see to be used more than others in fics?

Well, as far as non legendaries, Riolu, Lucario, Starters, and that's it. I tend to use underused Pokemon in my facts, despite the fact that Riolu and Lucario are key to my fic.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Silver said:
    Gee, now I'm hoping my made-up character doesn't suit this 'Mary-Sue' description. X.x Does having a Shiny Umbreon contribute? I only gave her Pokemon I actually have...sooo...and it's the only shiny she has. I didn't give her my shiny Crobat...just the Umbreon...named BlueRay. ^^ And I haven't written about her, yet...I don't plan on it anytime soon, either. She's kinda just...here...in my mind.
    Shinies are BIG no-no's when you're try to avoid a cliche character. And then there's the part of having one of the Eeveelutions. I haven't read your story yet so I don't know if your main character is well into her journey. If not, then starting off with an eeveelution for no real reason is another big factor of being a Sue.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Shinies are BIG no-no's when you're try to avoid a cliche character. And then there's the part of having one of the Eeveelutions. I haven't read your story yet so I don't know if your main character is well into her journey. If not, then starting off with an eeveelution for no real reason is another big factor of being a Sue.

She didn't start with her Eevee. And like I said, I haven't written about her. I don't really intend on it...I just plan on keeping her to myself. -hides- Noooo Mary-Suesssssss. ;~; And in my story...I'm using the manga charries. ^^ No made-ups.

Oh, there's one fic I was reading where somebody found a shiny Sneasel...something around Snowpoint and Zapdos killed his parents. Mershk. :/

Awww...you quoted me as 'Silver'. ;~; I'm sooooo happy! -bawls-

(I seriously wish my name was Silver...)

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    What problems did you face when you first began writing fanfiction?

Hmm. Description was a big one. My first one-shot... well, I just re-read it a couple hours ago and realized the battle had almost no description at all. But, I've been given positive comments on description so I'm glad I've improved.

Tense change is also something I struggled with, and still do. I tend to write in present tense when everything is supposed to be in past tense, and I hardly notice until I've written a good chunk of stuff. But I do know how to fix it, at least.

Hmm. Starters (this goes for every generation, though), Lucario (which Gummy has convinced me to love very much with his fic already <3), and, finally, Weavile. Weavile is awesome, though, so no complaints there.

Bay

Years
  • What 4th-gen Pokemon do you see to be used more than others in fics?

Besides the legendaries and Lucario, I've been seeing a few fics with the Shinx family.

So far the fourth generation Pokemon I've used are Monferno from a one shot of mine, Drifblm in "Nothing, Everything", and a couple bug types also in "Nothing, Everything" that I won't say. In my parody fic though, I'll use Shinx, Starvia, the starters, and the legendaries.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
    Years
  • What problems did you face when you first began writing fanfiction?

I can't really remember much about when I first started writing fanfiction... ^^; The earliest thing that I wrote that I can remember was this Simpsons story I did when I was about seven or eight. I don't recall much about it, but what I do remember is... yeah. XD;

First of all, it had a pretty lame title if you ask me. I think I literally just called it The Simpsons Book. XD

Second, pretty much the only things that even remotely made it a "Simpsons book" (emphasis on "remotely" XD) were 1.) the pictures of Simpsons characters that I'd cut out of a TV Guide and taped to the cover and 2.) the fact that the characters in the book happened to share the names of the members of the Simpson family.

Third, I'm sure it was as lacking in the quality of the writing and level of description and character development as the other early stories I wrote that I remember. As I recall, they were all pretty much "____ happened. Then ____ happened. ____ said '____', and ____ said '____'. And then ____ happened. *story continues on in this fashion for a few more pages*" Sounds positively riveting, doesn't it? XP

I'm sure that the grammar, vocabulary, and plots of my early attempts at fanfiction left something to be desired, too. XD;

Lucario and Shinx (as well as Shinx's evos) are the ones I seem to be finding more than any others.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't remember seeing any fics with the Shinx line. O_o

Wouldn't it be great if someone wrote a fic and started with Magikarp? :D

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • I did that once, but the fic was so depressingly bad that I stopped writing it.

Which brings me to...

What problems did you face when you first start writing fanfiction?

I'm still facing it, actually: the inability to discipline myself to keep writing. I can't force myself to sit down and write a little bit every night, mostly because writing is a relatively recent interest of mine. Actually, that reminds me: I'm scrapping an entire half of a chapter of my latest fanfic, because I've decided that the secondary main character I wanted to introduce has slowed the whole thing down and didn't really bring out anything in the primary main character that I couldn't express in some other manner. So I'll be posting a shortened version of that, hopefully soon, which means I can motivate myself to actually type (and finish) chapter three.

What fourth-generation Pogeymanz have u ben seein in fics?

Lucario, starters, Shinx line... I haven't actually used any (besides a token Weavile Cameo) in my own fic because I happen to like previous generations better. (Pidgeot pawns ur puny Starly/Tailow)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Don't give me new trainer fic plot bunnies, plz. XD

But someone definitely should.

Oooops. xP

I'll do it...liek 4 serios. Seriously, I'll do it. Don't know when, but I'll do it...since I posted that thought, anyway...

I keep wanting to call you "The" Jax or Jaxeh...I do that to a lot of people at school. There's "The" Dawn and Dreweh...so yeah. X.x

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    Somebody actually did write about a Magikarp as sa starter or something. It was by a person named Renegade over at SPPF.

What problems did you face when you first start writing fanfiction?

When I first started, it was getting canon characters in-character.

Besides the starters themselves, the Luxio line is a definite. Lucario stuff as well, annd I would imagine mentions of Arcseus are quite common.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I don't remember seeing any fics with the Shinx line. O_o

Earlier part of my fic had a Shinx and later a Luxio.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    What problems did you face when you first began writing fanfiction?
    I had it all. Bad grammar, Mary Sues, no description, no good characterization of canon characters, no plots, zero organization, bad handwriting, no discipline, legendaries popping up for no reason. Yes, if you say something bad about fanfiction, most likely I had it in my old fics. I still have them lying around somewhere, so if I can get my scanner working, you may see how horrible I really was.

I don't read a lot of fanfiction anymore, so I can't say. I do remember, however, that there was an abundance of Lucario running around. Do not get me wrong. I love Lucario. It's just that there are many other Pokemon out there that can be used. Unless the Pokemon is needed to fulfill a particular role, like Gummy's fic. (Did you enjoy your shameless promotion, friend?)

Aside from TurtleKing's fic, there is a fic that should be somewhat familiar with SPPfers that I can recall that has a Shinx on the main character's team. Other than that, I don't really remember any other fic (aside from my planned Sinnoh one.)

Just as a piece of somewhat good news, my fanfic is now in version 6.2 (yes, 6.2 copies of it flew around at some point in my room), and being rewritten over to a "clean" unedited copy.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • My fic has a character with two Eeveelutions... in Espeon and Umbreon. Ony because my story IS based on Pokemon Colosseum, in which the main character has those Pokemon. Not to mention that the character is already an established trainer to boot, and haven't had any complaints of his character thus far, so I think I'm out of the woods... Hurrah for parodies... of sorts...

Out of the last three stories I have looked at, the was a shiny Charmander, and a shiny Sneasal (same story as what 'Silver' (;)) read). BTW you have nice pictures in your sig...

Saffire Persian

Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011

If my banner is of any indication, I do have a member of the Shinx family in one of mine-- a Luxio at this point. Fun little beasts. Pity I haven't got a Luxray yet in Diamond. It's still in the Luxio stage. xD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • If you would like to, DarkPersian, you may bring yours over from the lagger. I doubt that my plans for a new thread will come to a start.
    Should I just copy/paste it over here? Also, I'll need permission to triple post, as the thread contains three topics: the quotations, homonyms, and general comma/semicolon guielines

Shinies are BIG no-no's when you're try to avoid a cliche character. And then there's the part of having one of the Eeveelutions.
    Crud... I have both, though the Eeveeloution doesn't make its appearance until chapter 15 or so (and evolves immediately) and the shiny was given out by a research university that found a way to alter breeding conditions to increase the number of shiny offspring...

Somebody actually did write about a Magikarp as sa starter or something. It was by a person named Renegade over at SPPF.
    I think I VAGUELY remember reading that - was that the one where the protagonist would go around slapping random stuff with her Magikarp?

Shinx line, Lucario, and various legendaries, though I really don't read as much fanfiction as I used to. On a semi-related note, 4th gens do not appear in my fic until about chapter 42.

Saffire Persian

Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    I think I VAGUELY remember reading that - was that the one where the protagonist would go around slapping random stuff with her Magikarp?

Yeah, that was the one.

Shinies are BIG no-no's when you're try to avoid a cliche character. And then there's the part of having one of the Eeveelutions.

Crud... I have both, though the Eeveeloution doesn't make its appearance until chapter 15 or so (and evolves immediately) and the shiny was given out by a research university that found a way to alter breeding conditions to increase the number of shiny offspring...

Actually, contrary to popular belief, having an Eevee or a Shiny in your 'fic =/= you having a cliché/Mary-Sue/Bad!character. The notion is actually rather silly. And you certainly don't have to avoid having an Eevee or a Shiny in your 'fic to keep your character from being cliché. Actually, scratch that, clichés aren't bad, per say. It's all in how you use them.

The only reason Eevee and Shinies have been branded as a "big no-no" is because those people who do think up those Mary-Sues tend to use them--it's a trademark. But a person letting their character have one automatically certainly isn't a reason to cry "SUE!" on them, just like it was foolish in the olden days for people to proclaim that a person was a witch just because he or she had a black cat. [And, for the record, not all witches are bad, either, if you get my drift]. The results, in fact, are pretty much the same as it was back in those witch-hating days: people get their characters called Sues for no reason save the fact they have a shiny and/or Eevee and are burned at the stakes because of it. That's rather wrong in my opinion. You are to judge the fiction you're reading by how it's written, not what pokémon a character has.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Out of the last three stories I have looked at, the was a shiny Charmander, and a shiny Sneasal (same story as what 'Silver' (;)) read). BTW you have nice pictures in your sig...

I haven't seen the Shiny Charmander fic. =/

My sig? Thanks...I like the trombone...

Oh yeah, something that's been bothering me. If your characters are flying to another city, would the description of the three hour trip be nesscesary? It might not be three hours...I mean, in the games you zip to point A, but this is writing, so it's gotta take longer. I'm assuming Viridian to Vermilion by flying Mantine and Honchkrow would be three hours, and if I'm wrong correct me. But, would I need to describe the trip? I don't intend on anything happening during this flight, so I wasn't sure. It just sounds irrelevant to me.

The results, in fact, are pretty much the same as it were back in those witch-hating days: people get their characters called Sues for no reason save the fact they have a shiny and/or Eevee and are burned at the stakes because of it. That's rather wrong in my opinion. You are to judge the fiction you're reading by how it's written, not what pokémon a character has.

That makes me feel better. When I was younger, I never wrote my ideas, I'd make my fan fics in my head, come to think of it. And when I think about the characters, which were mostly made-up, I never really had a Mary-Sue. They always had something that would change your outlook on them completly, which might explain why I choose to write dark stories still today.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • The only reason Eevee and Shinies have been branded as a "big no-no" is because those people who do think up those Mary-Sues tend to use them--it's a trademark. But a person letting their character have one automatically certainly isn't a reason to cry "SUE!" on them, just like it was foolish in the olden days for people to proclaim that a person was a witch just because he or she had a black cat. [And, for the record, not all witches are bad, either, if you get my drift]. The results, in fact, are pretty much the same as it were back in those witch-hating days: people get their characters called Sues for no reason save the fact they have a shiny and/or Eevee and are burned at the stakes because of it. That's rather wrong in my opinion. You are to judge the fiction you're reading by how it's written, not what pokémon a character has.

Oh my gosh Saffire, you just gave me an idea for the next prompt! Will start writing it...on the weekend though because I'll be busy doing a project of sorts with one of my friends at Uni. XD

Yeah Silver, she pretty much hits the nail there. For example, purple drake's fic has the trainer got Eevee but the story is well written and the characters are developed. Me, I don't mind trainers having Eevee or shiny as long as both the trainers and Pokemon are well developed and the writing is good.

In fanfiction news, one more chapter left for my parody fic! (Yes, want to finish writing the draft of it at least before posting it ^^).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Same here, Bay.

Man, I'm really sick of seeing:​

halt.gif

Everywhere I click. Who knows something to bypass this Will Smith guy?​

Is he getting on your nerves yet?

My fic has a character with two Eeveelutions... in Espeon and Umbreon. Ony because my story IS based on Pokemon Colosseum, in which the main character has those Pokemon. Not to mention that the character is already an established trainer to boot, and haven't had any complaints of his character thus far, so I think I'm out of the woods... Hurrah for parodies... of sorts...

That's the fun part of using canon characters, in which both our stories do. So horrah for us!

And the bell's about to ring...and I get to eat nasty food from my nasty school. Joy. I'll just get pizza. Ciao!​

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back