• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Have you ever done something in a fic you knew had been done before and would probably be done again, but you still felt shocked when you saw it in other fics?

Well... My fic (I call it EThER for short) is partly based on Colosseum.
*points to fic link in banner* well, there you go, prepare to be shocked. ;)
On the plus side, I'm interested in fics in Orre...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
While reviewing a fic, do you find yourself mainly looking for flaws, good qualities, or something else?
A mixture of both, but lately they've been erring more on the positive side. Then again, I've taken myself off the list of "active" reviewers (at least over at the green giant) and I basically review what I want. And since I don't read stuff I don't like, the flaws I point out are mainly grammar (though many of the authors I follow do have near-perfect grammar, so that part's pretty short:) ) and things that don't make sense to me.

My reviews usually make comments on the plots and characters, and include lots of speculation. If I quote anything from the chapter/one shot, it's either a grammar mistake or something that really stood out to me - good or bad.

Argh, I've become soft in my reviews - both of fanfiction and of hotels... but that's because I almost exclusively read (and stay at) fics (and hotels) that are good to begin with.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Man, this thread's been pretty dead for the last three days. Maybe a new question would make it a bit less dead: Do you consider it odd that the Fan Fiction Challenge thread has around twice as many views as the Rules thread?

Do views by the same user accumulate? That would probably explain it, but I'm not sure how view counting on this forum works.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Do you consider it odd that the Fan Fiction Challenge thread has around twice as many views as the Rules thread?

I never noticed that. XD Well, the way I figure it, one of two scenarios is occurring here:

1. People read the FFC thread every month, whereas they really only read the rules thread if they're uncertain about something (which, for most people who post here, is usually once or twice).
2. Reading little posts is a lot more interesting than reading a massive post that could possibly get your thread closed if you happen to not read said massive post.

In other words, I'm not entirely surprised. Heavily, heavily amused, but not entirely surprised. XD

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
That's why, for a few brief minutes, the title of the rules thread was: Read or I'll punch you in the face.

Now I'm thinking of having a thread where I post the names of those who break the rules for public shaming. And allow people to mock mock mock mock mock them. But then I decided that people might hitch a ride on the WHAILmbulance.

No, I don't like people. Why do you ask?

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
No, I don't like people. Why do you ask?
<ambiguous creepiness> Then you'll be delighted to know that no one besides you in this forum falls under the category of "people." Around half of us are chatbots designed to subliminally convince you to buy certain products, and the other half of us are figments of your imagination who want to mess with your brain. o_o </ambiguous creepiness>

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
<ambiguous creepiness> Then you'll be delighted to know that no one besides you in this forum falls under the category of "people."
Except I'm an immortal embodiment of a god. :<

Around half of us are chatbots designed to subliminally convince you to buy certain products, and the other half of us are figments of your imagination who want to mess with your brain. o_o </ambiguous creepiness>
Say hi to Andy then before you leave. He loves the attention.

..Beyond

Cut your losses.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 29, 2014
If you didn't start writing fanfiction with the Pokemon fandom, what was your first fandom? As in, if you wrote for a fandom (or multiple fandoms) before you discovered Pokemon, what was it (or were they)?

I think it was either Power Rangers or Digimon. I have unfinished stories from both on my computer right now... (2 Digimon and 1 Power Ranger).

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
Years
While reviewing a fic, do you find yourself mainly looking for flaws, good qualities, or something else?

I like to think that I look for everything, but I read (most of the time) for enjoyment, so I look for good qualities first and foremost. Sometimes, when reading a good book or fic, I find that the critic part of my brain shuts off and allows me to fully enjoy what I'm reading. Sadly, that doesn't happen very often, so much of the time I'm thinking "That is so far off, how can I drill it in this person's brain not to do this..." or something like that.

After I've found the problem, I always try to find a kind way of pointing it out and offering advice to the writer, whether they're a newbie or someone who's been around a while.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Well....

Let me put it this way: If the lounge filled with English-speaking people had had a Spanish title before, I probably would have noticed. 0.o

Wait, does this title change mean we have to type all our posts in Spanish from now on? I'm only year two in Spanish! *panics*

Err... right.

In other news...

Anyone here read my OT fic cliche list here besides AE and Bay and not left a comment?

I'm serious. I need people to either hit me with crumpets or stroke my poor, deflated ego. I may even review your fic if you feed me. *hint, hint*

On the actual subject of writing...

What cliches of the OT genre do you "embrace" in your OT story, and how do you avoid making them sound repetitive?

I can't really say, since "Thief in the Night" is less of an OT story and more of an adventure story starring a character who just happens to have Pokemon.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Let me put it this way: If the lounge filled with English-speaking people had had a Spanish title before, I probably would have noticed. 0.o

Oh, no, I meant the part about the lounge being a bathroom.

Anyone here read my OT fic cliche list here besides AE and Bay and not left a comment?

Yeah, and thanks to you, you've made me want to write a new trainer story. Even though I'm writing 1072302 fics as it is. Thanks, Thesis.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
It's Brazilian Portuguese.

Você tem camisinha? Não faço sem proteção.

Estou triste.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Oh, no, I meant the part about the lounge being a bathroom.

Yeah, and thanks to you, you've made me want to write a new trainer story. Even though I'm writing 1072302 fics as it is. Thanks, Thesis.

You're oh so welcome. :3

And Astinus, why are you so sad? Brazilian Portugese, Spanish... In the end, it's all Greek to me.

Or is that Latin?

Bay

Years

Haha, I'm mentioned here so I'll move to the next question...

What cliches of the OT genre do you "embrace" in your OT story, and how do you avoid making them sound repetitive?
Not OT fic, but I embrace the main character is best in class cliche in "Nothing, Everything." The reason I did that though is because Bunny's really obsessed with history. ^^;

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I have a funny question...the theme of the FFC this month is "birth", and I have a story posted that is currently just a prologue called "R-9WM 'Mastermind'". The thing is, that prologue could nearly pass off as a one-shot depicting the birth of Mewtwo (Astinus may have glanced at it when changing the title 9000 times).

So here's my question: can that be entered as part of the FFC, even though I posted it before this month's prompt? I would continue the story as normal afterwards, so questions derived from the prologue's vagueness would be answered later on, but I think it's a great description of Mewtwo being born (you'd see why that isn't creepy if you read it). It might help me garner a few more readers (it's an intensely niche hardcore sci-fi story, and I'm going to need all the exposure I can get to find readers), so I would appreciate it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
It's fine. You can do whatever. It's not a contest to see who can write the best in a month. It's a way to share more stories that would otherwise not have been written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back