• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
  • (I hope that problem doesn't apply to you, txteclipse!)

I am a being of the night, so it usually doesn't. However, reading back over what I wrote last night, there are a few details that could have been done better. *sigh* Edits ahoy.

Oh, and I have a book recommendation. If you haven't read it, check out Naomi Novik's "His Majesty's Dragon". The premise is basically an alternate history of the Napoleonic Wars with dragons. It deals well with human/creature relationships, and I think it would be good inspiration for anyone wishing to add more depth to the interactions in their pokemon fanfictions. I know that I probably wouldn't be able to finish the chapter I'm working on if not for this book's influence.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What things have you tried in an attempt to force yourself to write?

I forced myself to write the boring parts of Just A Brother. I should be forcing myself to do so right now, as a matter of fact. >.> After I do finish it, I plan on sticking with oneshots for a while. However, the only downside to that is that they don't get as many hits and reviews as an actual fic does.

Ugh. Budew vs. Staravia = BAD. D:

Remind me to never pick grass Pokemon for a challenge ever again.

[/random]

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • So, anyway, hi?

Welcome to the thread. We'll be corrupting you shortly.

What things have you tried in an attempt to force yourself to write?

At most, unplugged my computer from everything except the power outlet and went into a small corner where I couldn't be distracted. I've also taken a pad and pen to a park and sat down to write to remove myself from the distraction that is the internet, but either way, just physically removing myself from the internet to get myself to focus.

Most of the time, however, I don't, which is why chapters of anything from me come out once in a season.

Also, thanks for the rec. I was thinking of picking it up, but I was afraid it was going to be like Eragon (because of the dragon link, what the back cover had to say reminding me of dragon warriors on the backs of magical, talking dragons, and because the title made me suspicious -- yes, judging a book by its cover). No offense to the fans, but I actually read the first chapter of Eragon. And then I turned to my friend who went with me that day and said, "You know, this is a lot like most of the Harry Potter fanfiction I've read. Does the main hero screw his male rival in this one too?"

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    And then I turned to my friend who went with me that day and said, "You know, this is a lot like most of the Harry Potter fanfiction I've read. Does the main hero screw his male rival in this one too?"
    Unfortunately, no. Otherwise, I would have actually read the books.

What a shame.

Threw rolls of paper at my muse.

I also think about the parts that I want to write (Andy and Angel getting married, which happened last night, and then Andy groomed Angel who was like "wtf?"), which helps me to write the more boring parts. (Their marriage is part of the reason why I'm more insane now. Now Andy and Angel can have children...hack-induced biologically! Yay mpreg!)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • What things have you tried in an attempt to force yourself to write?
    Writing at odd hours in the morning when there will be nothing to distract me.
    Writing stuff all out of order.
    Disconnecting the internet from my laptop.

And likely some other stuff that involves energy drinks/Mountain Dew/other stuff with an unhealthy amount of caffeine

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Friendly I see. o_0 And who says I'm not already corrupt? It's part of my plan to sieze absolute power, except backwards. Start off corrupt, then gain power. More fun that way. Although, that phrase really does place no faith in humanity, does it? Absolute power absolutely corrupts?

Rofl. Eragon was a piece of-- ...Squished and battered garbage truck compressed into paper. For every page of paper in it is worth approximately one garbage truck full of trash. I feel sorry for all the garbage trucks they must have cut down in order to make that book.

When I need to write, I really just write, or I don't. End of story. If I can't write, it usually isn't because I have no muse, it's because I don't want to. I plan nearly everything in a chapter before I write it usually, so to have writer's block in the middle of it would be hard. o_0 Although writing without purpose is fun sometimes.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Hey, Satoshi_Red, welcome to the cult.

Well, I gave myself a deadline, and that failed. I still haven't written chapter three of Operation Main Frame even though it should've been finished by the first of June. I said to myself that if I didn't finish the fan fiction challenge one-shot in three days, I would not allow myself to go on PokeCommunity for a week as punishment. That did not work either. Other attempts include chewing a pencil, praying and hitting my keyboard hoping that I could channel my rage through my writng. Oh, how wrong I was.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • What things have you tried to attempt to force yourself to write?

Guilt trips about not having a chapter done. Lots of guilt trips. It would help if my fans made themselves visible more often, so I could see who I was letting down. *shakes head in despair* Two chapters up, and two reviews... one of which came so long after the first chapter that it had to be sent by PM... honestly, could I at least get a "ur fic is kewl i read itz" once in a while? >.<

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Ah, but what kind of things can you do with whips, boots, and a jar of peanut butter?
    Do we even want more people running around at our levels of corruption?

On that note, Cool Whip now comes in handy squirt bottles, like regular whipped cream.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Do we even want more people running around at our levels of corruption?

The more the merrier, right?

On that note, Cool Whip now comes in handy squirt bottles, like regular whipped cream.

XD I saw an ad for that and cracked a smile. I'm not the only one, then?

I don't think this question should ever be asked of anyone o.O

Yeah, they should really just know how many things can be done, you know?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't think this question should ever be asked of anyone o.O
    Well, crack that whip! Give the past a slip! Step on a crack! Break your momma's back!

...I don't know if I should be sad or proud of the fact I can sing along with that song.

The more the merrier, right?
    *thinks*

It'll be like ancient Rome! Or Greece! Or somewhere that I'm not sure of because I wasn't paying attention to what the teacher was saying.

XD I saw an ad for that and cracked a smile. I'm not the only one, then?
    I was in work when I saw that, which created interesting stories about what I yelled out. (And now I wonder if I should have put some on that food product you made me try.)

[on-topic]FANFICTION! :D[/on-topic]

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    o_0 I see.

I bow down to your corrupt-y-ness.

Back on topic. If I may, I shall ask a queesstioon.

In fanfiction, do you ever have a character you absolutely adore one day and then hate the next?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • In fanfiction, do you ever have a character you absolutely adore one day and then hate the next?

One of my main characters. I feel I've made him too angsty, but he is also awesome, so sometimes I hate writing about him while at other times I love writing about him.

To put it simply, he seems at first glance to be a wimp but turns out to be one of my strongest characters in every sense of the word. That's hard to pull off, and it kills me whenever I write.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I bow down to your corrupt-y-ness.

In which direction? ;D

Okay, yeah, I'm done.

In fanfiction, do you ever have a character you absolutely adore one day and then hate the next?

Nah. Usually, with fanfiction, if I'm writing it, I absolutely adore them and continue to adore them for the next few weeks and then just sort of lose interest in them until I eventually look back on them three years later and go, "Oh God, what was I thinking?"

Either that, or I kill off the ones I hate. And then I love them again because they were so awesome when they died. *motions to Rosaline*

If I'm reading it, I just sort of go, "Eh." Because for some reason, I don't get attached to someone else's character. I just get attached to their storylines.

Bay

Years
  • Dang, I was recovering from a stomach flu and here I get mentions of cool whip and peanut butter. O.o

What things have you tried to attempt to force yourself to write?

Most of the time try to set a deadline for myself. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it doesn't, depending how busy I am at the moment and also if I suddenly not feeling well...like a few hours ago. ^O^;

Key from my dead fic, "Through the Lenses." At first I liked her and had a few chapters of who she is, but then I hate her because the story wasn't going well and Key wasn't developing very well.

All the other characters I adore because each seemed to have both a good side and a bad side to them. There are times they would do the right thing, and other times they don't, but usually with good intentions.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years
  • What things have you tried to attempt to force yourself to write?

Many, many attempts have failed for me. I've tried reading the last thing I wrote to get my inspiration back, I've tried listening to songs that have inspired me in the past, I've tried staring at te blank screen, I've even tried acting out some of my favourite not-yet-written parts in my mind to see how they should look. More often than not, it all failed; except the last one, which sometimes gives me some good ideas.

Ruka the Lucario, who featured in several stories of mine, including Visions Of Fate. I liked her at first... and then, suddenly, I fell in love with the same character she was in love with in an early story. I began to hate her so much that I considered killing her off. Eventually, for Visions Of Fate, I simply removed the love between her and the other character and gave her full affection to a Pokemon I couldn't care less about (who will actually be mentioned in the next chapter... if anyone reads my fic. I've only gotten three reviews...).

~Golden

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    *hands Bay some Pepto-Bismal* Heartburn, nausea, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea! *does the dance moves*

They all drive me insane at some point, to the point where I want to shove them into a closet and set them on fire. But then I recover and let my characters carry on their merry way. (There's a certain canon character I write about that I wouldn't mind smacking around, but I love him.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • In fanfiction, do you ever have a character you absolutely adore one day and then hate the next?

Yes. :D Blue in Just A Brother. But, it was kinda the opposite. I hated her in the first chapter. She's all "Hey Green, lets make Silver emo by practically doing it in the forest!!" and later she actually cares about him. Hmm. Yeah. Isn't she just the nicest serogate sister?

DIE LUCARIO!!! Hailey pwns you!!!! >:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back