• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    What cliches of the OT genre do you "embrace" in your OT story, and how do you avoid making them sound repetitive?

Ironically, I think AE would be better person to ask about my story than I. xD

Let's see, I had the prot. wake up after a dream (which seemed not like a dream in the prologue). He looked at the clock and thought he was late, but I subverted that cliche with him reading the clock wrong and he found out that he was not late at all.

I like my characters developed, therefore, pokespeech. I had a scientific-y reason for this that involved the speech area of the brain getting a signal (I can't for the life of me remember the name of the area right now). So hopefully that was also slightly subverted.

I subverted the human saving the pokemon thing by having the pokemon "save" the human. Unfortunately for the characters, it did not end happily.

The characters did go to the local professor at a designated time to get starter pokemon.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Tell me, Astinus, are you just going to allow this thread to die? Don't tell me you've forgotten about it. Some (well, most) of the ideas in that thread were pretty epic.

Do you consider it odd that the Fan Fiction Challenge thread has around twice as many views as the Rules thread?

Not really, I mean, let's face it, we're talking about the Rules thread of the Fan Fiction board. I bet if we were to ask the authors with their stories on the first page of the board whether or not they had looked at the rules of this section, a majority would say no. It's the rules, after all. Also, you know, the Fan Fiction Challenge thread keeps getting updated, and I go back to it frequently to see if Astinus has made a catalogue of the stories for the months after the first. Remember the first month, she linked all the stories for the prompt? Yeah, Astinus, you should do that again.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Do you consider it odd that the Fan Fiction Challenge thread has around twice as many views as the Rules thread?

No. People need the updates on the FFC every month, whereas with the rules...I don't think Astinus wants to update those every week...or day...or month...or year.

Though, I wish the rules thread had as many views. D: Have you seen some of the stories?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Remember the first month, she linked all the stories for the prompt? Yeah, Astinus, you should do that again.

At the risk of sounding obnoxious, yeah, I agree. XD I was kinda thinking about volunteering by creating a list so all Astinus would have to do is a quick copy-and-paste job, but I thought that might be overstepping bounds or something or that she actually was too busy to edit the thread at all. ^_^;

Still, maybe if any volunteer each month did it to help her out?

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    too many Kirlia, Stunky's ability Stench described in all its smelly glory
    ~Golden

Ditto. I have a Kirlia in my fic and the main character's Stunky (Now Skuntank) was, of course, infamoud for her stench. Didn't really know that it was that common in fics nowadays.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Do you consider it odd that the Fan Fiction Challenge thread has around twice as many views as the Rules thread?
    Not at all, considering the number of people who feel they can't be bothered to read the rules.

So don't be surprised if a number of the FFC entries are rule-breakers 0_o

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Remember the first month, she linked all the stories for the prompt? Yeah, Astinus, you should do that again.
    I was wondering about that, too. The weird thing is that even for the later months, there's still a line that says "Stories:" but then nothing after it.

Maybe none of us are worthy of recognition. XD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • So don't be surprised if a number of the FFC entries are rule-breakers 0_o

Well, now, see, here's the unusual phenomenon. Usually, when people are outright rulebreakers in a forum with the rule set in the stickies, those people also don't read stickies in general. After all, if you're just here to post a story or because the title of a story or two looks interesting, why bother paying attention to anything that isn't the new thread button or a handful of thread titles? So, most likely, the people who are doing the FFC are people who have actually read the rules or at least know enough of the no-brainers to avoid breaking the rules without actually having read them (if that makes sense).

So, what you get is a number of good or otherwise decent stories because, hey, people who read the FFC to understand how it's done (and to get the monthly prompt) can be arsed to pay attention to something that's stickied.

Only one story that I can think of is an exception, but I'm not mentioning any names here.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Well, now, see, here's the unusual phenomenon. Usually, when people are outright rulebreakers in a forum with the rule set in the stickies, those people also don't read stickies in general. After all, if you're just here to post a story or because the title of a story or two looks interesting, why bother paying attention to anything that isn't the new thread button or a handful of thread titles? So, most likely, the people who are doing the FFC are people who have actually read the rules or at least know enough of the no-brainers to avoid breaking the rules without actually having read them (if that makes sense).
    Wow, that does make sense. There ought to be a class in school called Forum Psychology...

Here's a question: Which set of canon takes precedence: Video game or anime? I've noticed that there are several discrepencies between the two canons. For example: Mewtwo was a clone of Mew in the anime, but in the game Mewtwo was Mew's offspring. I generally prefer following game canon because it's older (and no, I didn't think the anime was all that great).

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Wow, that does make sense.

Thanks. It just comes from years of hanging around forums and watching how people post. ^_^;

Which set of canon takes precedence: Video game or anime?

Depends on which canon you're writing in. If your story takes place in the anime's universe, obviously the anime, with any gaps filled in by the game if necessary. Game, then vice versa. If none are specified, I personally think it's up to the author's preference. Some follow the anime more and so take the anime's viewpoint on things, while others lean more towards the games.

Myself, I tend to lean towards the games, though certain things are from the anime. Usually, I'll make it obvious. But, in any case, it's just easier for me, partly because I lost track of the anime and partly because the anime contradicts itself at times. Games, not so much, if I recall correctly.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Yeah, whatever. If someone wants to write up a list of the FFC stories, go right ahead. I can't be arsed to take the time.

Anime for me. It's the universe where my fic takes place, but it's such an AU that it's only basic anime canon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Which set of canon takes precedence: Video game or anime?

How should I put this without insulting the anime or games?

Neither!

Manga!! :D

But, I guess I'd go by the games...I go by it in my parody. But, it's got the anime and manga and other games mixed into it...so I can't say for sure. x]

Bay

Years

Usually I go by anime canon because there are a few things I like about the anime better, like there are more cities and also the extra Pokemon transported somewhere else instead of just boxed in. However, for "Nothing, Everything," I kind of mixed both of them, one main reason is how Ash and company hadn't even finish dealing with the fourth gym yet (my fic is set in Sinnoh), so I would have to use game canon. Anohter reason is how the plates are the central objects in the story and I like the game's approach to them than the anime's.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Yeah, whatever. If someone wants to write up a list of the FFC stories, go right ahead. I can't be arsed to take the time.

Well, if no one else is going to nominate themselves, I'd be happy to go and track down the fan fics that were made for each monthly challenge.

For me, mostly the video games, but I have stolen stuff (like the GS ball) from the anime for my stories. I go with the video games because they came first, don't contradict themselves and don't have plot fillers.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

Anime, but like Astinus said, I only use the most basic laws of the canon.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years

Since I don't watch the anime, I say the games. I always base the small parts of canon I use of what I pick up from the games. Although I occasionally use something from the movies.

~Golden

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Mostly videogame, with some smattering of anime. Giovanni is no longer associated with TR, Lorelei's quit the E4, Pikachu are not worshipped as Pokegods, and Ash hasn't even a brief mention. Nurse Joys don't make an appearance until the later stages, and even then, they're androids:)

I do use the anime format for contests, but since there's only one in the entire fic...

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Wow... There sure are a lot of posts here. -has just found the place-

I prefer neither canon. As in, I think certain things from both suck, so I cut and paste whatever interpretations I feel like. And sometimes you can't use either canon, because you are writing about the way off future or something. The things I keep tend to be the pokemon and the town names, and the basic trainer/gym/league whole structure, and that's about it. Ash from the anime never existed to me. Misty from gameverse does, though. :P

It also depends on the fic. I'll use different interpretations at times. In one story I have, (not posted on here because it's uber annoying long.) the most recent chapter will have an extremely annoyed flameless charmander causing havoc, which goes against canon. However, who says that just because no humans have seen a charmander survive having the flame go out means that such a thing could never happen? They never actually give the scientific explanation for this that I know of; so logically one could perhaps have a mutated gene in a charmander that gives it the ability to withstand this, even if outwardly the charmander is normal. As far as I know I'm the first person with that idea.

So, anyway, hi?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Greetings Satoshi, and welcome aboard. I'm currently wide awake at 2:29 in the morning, writing the next chapter for the Eon Chronicles (sig explains what that is). I promised myself I'd finish by midnight tonight (today being the 19th, however early), so I may very well not get sleep anytime in the next 21 hours and 31 minutes.

Anyways, I'm half-delirious with sleep deprivation, and I needed a break besides, so I figured I'd say "hi." Now, for sake of not going off-topic, I will introduce a...err...topic.

What things have you tried in an attempt to force yourself to write?

I am currently living through one of my more taxing schemes, that being setting a deadline for myself. However, I have also tried revoking video games and internet from myself, as well as had people remind me to write if they thought about it. These things come into play during severe cases of writer's block, like I'm currently experiencing (no new chapters for a third of a year). So what have you all (if you even do anything) tried to get yourself to write?

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Satoshi_Red said:
    So, anyway, hi?
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Consider yourself lucky that you found this here lounge, it's a great place to learn stuff from other users.

What things have you tried in an attempt to force yourself to write?
    I don't really force myself to write fanfiction or any other kind of writing for that matter. Even with school assignments I'll wait until near the last minute to begin actually writing something. Since it's been around a month since I last posted a chapter for my ongoing fic, I probably should pressure myself a bit. The thing is, when I want my writing to be as good as it can be, I sort of take my time and wait until I'm in a mood and mindset to write really well. I worry that if I write too late at night my work will be incoherent and error-ridden. (I hope that problem doesn't apply to you, txteclipse!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back