• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    When it comes to Pokemon learning new moves, do you go strictly by game canon or do your own thing?

I guess you could say I combine Game and Anime rules when it comes to Pokemon learning new moves and battling. I have each Pokemon being able to learn all their moves, however, it depends on their strength and age. What I mean by that, for example, a young Charmander using Fire Blast. The Fire Blast will either be uncontrollable or really weak. As far as egg and move tutor moves, I just select the moves that I think would be best suited for that battle. I hate using Game based rules solely, because the Pokemon don't have a wide range of attacks at that level/age/etc.

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    When you complete a fic, how does it feel?

Hope nobody minds me asking another question. I just completed my first fic on here so I'm feeling pretty happy-- although it being four in the morning might have something to do with that. I'm more prone to pointless contentment if half my brain is shut off but not yet complaining tirelessly about lack of sleep.

In general for one-shots I often feel slightly disatisfied, waiting for responses before setting it into the ignored pile of junk in my life. After all, one-shots tend to be what I decided wasn't good enough to develop fully or didn't have enough material for it. But for chaptered fics I tend to feel pretty proud and satisfied getting them done if I haven't lost my spunk for writing it, which admittedly one sometimes does.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

Sadly, I cannot muster an answer for this question. It is because I want to feel that sense of accomplishment so much that drives me to complete my fics.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Poetry has it's own sub-forum in the Other Writing section. If you're posting here, I honestly don't know how you could have missed it.

Bay

Years

Happy and sad at the same time. Happy because of this feeling you completed something after all these months, but sad because you won't be able to continue to write about the plot and the characters.

Even though I finished "Nothing, Everything," it's gone through many revisons so I won't really feel that finished accomplishment on that story until I post the epilogue. =O For instance, I've changed the ending of the fic three times, thinking one ending is more indepth than the other. XD

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Oh, HECK YES! Military camp (and, for that matter, all formal military training) is now been there done that as far as I'm concerned, and with only nine days to go before ultimate liberation comes around (At least...I think it's nine. My grasp of time isn't what it used to be. x.O) I figured it was about time I dragged my sorry arse back here. Former victims of mine (Jax, Griff, DarkPersian, I'm looking at yooouuu) may expect reviews within the next few weeks, though I can't give any exact dates as it depends on how fast I manage to catch up and how much interference from other sources there will be. There WILL be reviews, though.

Goodness knows I might even get around to getting a proper version of my fanfic's first chapter one of these days. xD In the meantime, however, it's time for a little topic near-necromancy.

What was the first fanfic you've ever read, and what was it about? If you can't remember what that first fanfic was, what's the earliest one you remember?

Well, my memory is a bit fuzzy on this stuff, but I think it was either "An letter of compaint!!!!" (can't recall the precise spelling xP) or "Glass Half-full". The former was a scarily well-written depiction of a bad fanfic writer (and the reviewers who are trying to set him straight and/or bash him, as the case may be), while the latter was an actual OT fic, though the focus seemed to be on the main character's ability to grasp bits and pieces of pokéspeech rather than the usual beat-the-gyms tour. But yeah, both concerned OT fics one way or the other. xD

Two: If you didn't start writing fanfiction with the Pokemon fandom, what was your first fandom? As in, if you wrote for a fandom (or multiple fandoms) before you discovered Pokemon, what was it (or were they)?

I...think I used to do some horrendously bad fanfiction stuff for another fandom when I was small (You know, like, ten or something) but fortunately my memory is merciful enough to have erased the name of the abused fandom(s) from my mind. In terms of serious, committed, focused fanfic-writing effort pokémon is my first and - to date - only fandom, though.

While reviewing a fic, do you find yourself mainly looking for flaws, good qualities, or something else?

Well, when I review I usually read through the fic two times. The first is my enjoyment round, in which I'm basically just looking for a good story and hence focus on the positive aspects as far as possible. I make note of places that stick out in a negative way, but I don't go any further with them until I get to my second readthrough, which would be the analytic/nitpick round. Here, I'm basically looking to see why the spots I noticed in the first readthrough looked awkward to me (and what could be done to get rid of that awkwardness) as well as looking for typos, grammatical errors and other nits to pick. So yeah, I strive to maintain a healthy balance between the two, but because it's so much easier to analyze a wrong (since there are usually clear rules for why it's wrong) than a right, my review tends to look a bit criticism-heavy if you look at it in terms of paragraphs devoted to each.

What cliches of the OT genre do you "embrace" in your OT story, and how do you avoid making them sound repetitive?

Ahh...how to answer this without becoming guilty of prattling about my ideas instead of actually executing them? Well, my main character does get her starter from the lab, but this is because of family ties to the institution (Older brother working as an aide at the local lab. She's also run some errands for them to earn spending money, so there's another connection) and the starter is not a pokémon of the generic set, not to mention that it was actually previously owned. The good-starting-relationship-with-starter element is there to a degree, but it's actually residue of the starter's relationship to his previous owner rather than super-special Sue attraction power.

On the less subverted side, I have the feeling that the big bad (and, to my everlasting shame, their masterplan) is rather clichéd in some ways, but I'm hoping to compensate for it by doing my characterization in proper depth. Big bad and big plot are still subject to change too, so it may turn out quite different in the end. The boring morning routine is there, complete with the bathroom mirror, though I'm trying to mesh in some character development with the usual clothing/morning activities thing. I will most likely also be doing the whole 'first-meeting-with-starter' scene, though I'm still toying with the idea of doing it from the starter's viewpoint.

Overall...I seem to enjoy subverting (or otherwise twisting) my clichés rather than playing them straight. xD But then, none of this has reached its final written form yet, so anything is still possible.

Which set of canon takes precedence: Video game or anime?

When it comes to canon, I usually follow the hierarchy of manga, games, anime, in that order. Usually, when it comes to determining some non-combat related traits of pokémon (like their place in folklore/mythology, Spoink's bounce-induced-heartbeat, etc.) I go for the pokédex since the other two don't tend to have much to say on the matter one way or the other, and when movepools/learnsets are concerned I certainly go for games. When it comes to portrayal of canon characters/locations and battle strategy then manga comes first. The anime pretty much lost my respect with the baby Lugia and 'aim for the horn'. xP

What things have you tried in an attempt to force yourself to write?

Inner guilt trips, shutting away other activities in an attempt to focus, reading random wiki articles and pokédex entries in search of inspiration, the old headdesk, erm...yeah, I think those are the main ones. Sadly, the biggest result of my toiling is creative phobia of empty word documents, hence why I relegate my writing to the advanced reply box whenever I can these days and just write when the mood strikes me. I've learned that my muse is a vindictive little cow who doesn't appreciate being pushed. xP

Plus, that way I can send my scribbles to myself as PM so I can view them from the mili computers too, not that that will matter in two weeks' time, of course. xD

In fanfiction, do you ever have a character you absolutely adore one day and then hate the next?

Well, I wouldn't say 'hate', but I've certainly found myself passively disliking many of my earlier character ideas for a main protagonist. Painful thing is, I can tell just by looking at the draft that it was a character which I really liked at the time, but looking at them in retrospect I find them to be rather bland and soulless with very little potential in terms of character development. I can only hope that my current cast will avoid that particular fate. x3

Do the lyrics of some songs change the way you write or motivate you to write?

As other before me have said...the lyrics, not so much, but the music definitely does. There's no inspiration for writing my more disturbing characters and scenes like the old Higurashi opening theme (Arguably, a few things may inspire me better, but there's still nothing precisely like it) and I've also assembled a small collection of other music to accommodate whatever mood I want to write my scenes in.

When it comes to Pokemon learning new moves, do you go strictly by game canon or do your own thing?

As I said above, game canon is god as far as movepools are concerned. I'm more liberal about when the pokémon learn their moves, however, as well as the source of those moves (It's not like I'm going to be running an elaborate backstory of each pokémon's parents to establish a breeding chain justifying their egg moves or anything. xP). Usually, I just try to maintain a general power level for each pokémon in my head and then give them attacks matching it (so, for instance, a newly hatched Charmander would not be spewing Fire Blasts about) unless I have a proper explanation for them knowing stronger attacks than that. To me, a prematurely learned move is a far lesser sin than a dull battle scene.

Wish I could answer that one, really do, but with exactly zero finished fics to my name I can not. Heck, I'm only just starting to go through the feelings of writing a fic and completing a chapter. xD

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Satoshi_Red said:
    Hope nobody minds me asking another question.
    Don't worry about that. New questions are the best way to keep things rolling around here.

I haven't finished my chaptered fic yet, so I don't know how that feels. I have posted a few one-shots, and I felt pretty good about those. However, immediately after I was done writing them I had a sort of feeling of uncertainty. I thought what I had written was pretty good, but I didn't know if anyone else would see it that way. Usually any good feeling about a bit of writing comes to me in the form of relief if someone comments and says they liked it.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

The only thing I've finished as-of-yet is a one-shot, and it felt pretty good to finish. People liked it, and I liked it, and it was good. Granted, it was a limited engagement (it was for a contest), so I wasn't hardcore into it like I am with my other stuff.

SilverTail

Noble Warrior of Woodsclan
    Years
    gah...allyou 'successful' writers...I don't even know why a n00b like me is posting here... product placement? I think that qualifies...

Anyways, why is it all you guys with your OFF's get all the attention, but when I can pump out some 'really good stuff' as i've had people tell me, yet get no reviews or anything like that whatsoever? Honestly, all A Destined Heart gets is views! it really makes me sad.....

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Look around you SilverTail, OT doesn't even have a mod! This is a dead section with a lot of unnoticed fics, whether they be good quality or bad. If you're looking for some reviews, try a Naruto forum (seeing as it's a Naruto fanfic).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Former victims of mine (Jax, Griff, DarkPersian, I'm looking at yooouuu) may expect reviews within the next few weeks, though I can't give any exact dates as it depends on how fast I manage to catch up and how much interference from other sources there will be. There WILL be reviews, though.
    Hate to say it, but you'll probably have to beg our lovely fanfic mod if you can slide by the "one month bump" rule to review mine, since I have become pitifully slow at posting updates here...

Movesets are for the most part decided by canon (so no exploding Charizards or Hydro Pumping Venonats). As for WHEN they learn the moves, I tend to make my own rules, though I stick with "Pokemon must master weak version of attack before moving on to stronger version" for this.

It feels pretty good for the one-shots I've done. As for chaptered fics...

Ask again in three or four months when my 55-chapter fic will be completed on the other forum. However, I'm excited at even the prospect that the end of my year and a half long project is now on the horizon:)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

For my first one, I felt great! Then it got reviewed! Then I felt horrible! It was hell! :D

After I finished Face Down, I felt good. I felt like it was a winner...and so far, it's lived up to the expectations it was born with.

Former victims of mine (Jax, Griff, DarkPersian, I'm looking at yooouuu)

I don't think I want to join this group. D:

-hides-

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016

I don't know yet, but when I complete a Volume from my fic, I feel somewhat happy and at the sametime sad that those events have passed already. I remember coming up for ideas for Volume 4 when I was in Volume 2 and how each volume would connect.

SilverTail

Noble Warrior of Woodsclan
    Years
    correction, Naruto/Kingdom Hearts. and there are some FF's on here that actually get some good coverage. Not all of them are flops like mine....

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    So some get it and others don't. Yours just happened to fall in the don't category. My advice is, if you like writing then the amount of reviews you get shouldn't matter. Just keep writing because if you stop posting due to lack of reviews, then there's a 100% chance you won't get a review.

And as a sidenote, it's not against the rules to double/triple post as long as you're updating the story.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Hate to say it, but you'll probably have to beg our lovely fanfic mod if you can slide by the "one month bump" rule to review mine, since I have become pitifully slow at posting updates here...

Beg? Pfft...the reviewer does not beg, he whines, satirizes and blackmails until he gets things done his way. =P

Besides, I think the last post in the thread was on June the first, so if I hustle and get it done next weekend, I should make it just before the one-month rot sets in.

I don't think I want to join this group. D:

-hides-

O yes you do, you silly person; you're just in denial.

Besides, personal consent is not a requirement for membership. ;D

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Beg? Pfft...the reviewer does not beg, he whines, satirizes and blackmails until he gets things done his way. =P
    I'd like to see you try to make me crack.

If you really want to get permission from me, you may buy me four new paperback books. :3

I dunno. I really didn't feel anything when I completed my three posted one-shots. I'll let you know when I actually have feelings.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I dunno. I really didn't feel anything when I completed my three posted one-shots. I'll let you know when I actually have feelings.

Aww. Mother Asty doesn't have feelings. -patpat- It's okay, mom.

Hmmm...an absence of feelings would be helpful at some points.

O yes you do, you silly person; you're just in denial.

Besides, personal consent is not a requirement for membership. ;D

Oh noes. -runs-

Oh, and on the same topic, I specifically remember thinking to myself, after completing my first fan fic, "So...what am I supposed to do in algebra class now?"

Bay

Years
    Oh noes, Astinus is becoming Cyrus! =O

I guess we can start off a new topic:

How do you go by having your fic known before and after the thread is posted? Do you tell it to others, links, banners, preview threads, etc.?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back