• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm feeling really depressed because I thought of a brilliant topic and I can't remember it.

In fanfiction, do you ever have a character you absolutely adore one day and then hate the next?

Not really. There are always characters that I despise writing about because they bore me, but there are characters I love writing about because they always seem to captivate me, even though I'm the one writing, which I find rather funny.

So, after finally getting around to listening to Viva La Diva And Death And All His Friends, I have a question for you all:

Do the lyrics of some songs change the way you write or motivate you to write?

That topic wasn't the one I referenced earlier.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    In fanfiction, do you ever have a character you absolutely adore one day and then hate the next?

Oh yes, in P:SN writing up Kyle's personality was always a pain. He changed like every other chapter. Stupid redheads. Can't live with 'em, so they all must die. XD

It's so much the lyrics as it is the type of music. If it's rock I tend to be more descriptive with scenes as opposed to rap, where I have more intense dialogue.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years

No, I love them all. :P
    There are some which I prefer writing about more than others, some which I could care less about, but I don't have any characters in which I change my opinion on them when I write them.
    In terms of other people's characters - yes, to a degree.

I dunno, maybe. Maybe not necessarily just the lyrics but the song itself as well. Enjoy writing and homeworking to music, and I guess it does have an affect on my writing, especially as I do like the happy songs. :) And Miror B's music inspires me a bit as well, I have to say. :)
    So, after finally getting around to listening to Viva La Diva And Death And All His Friends, I have a question for you all:
    What are your thoughts on the album? I've had a quick listen thus far, seems... decent. Although need a more indepth listen - it's one of those albums which need a few gos at, methinks. Like 42 and Viva la Vida though. :)

Last edited:

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Well, this is embarrassing, but I almost never pay attention to the lyrics of any songs. I prefer ones without lyrics, actually, classical music and such, but even then I usually type in silence. Sometimes I do type better when listening to epic music from a movie or something.

'Luke, I am your father.'

'Nooooo!' -insert dramatic music-

...Though, that could simply be the movie itself, come to think of it.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Stupid redheads. Can't live with 'em, so they all must die.

Two of my main characters are redheads, and they would thoroughly pwn you if you tried to kill them. Thoroughly. Pwn. j00.

The music I listen to rarely has lyrics. I listen to it more for the emotions imparted by the style and pace of the song. However, a lot of my writing is influenced by songs with lyrics, "a lot" meaning nearly all of it. I could easily go page by page and point out how I directly or indirectly garnered a plot device from a song I've heard.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
    Sometimes, yes. Just this morning I was writing a one-shot. I hit writer's block, but then I listened to the lyrics of one song and then I started writing again. ^^ Most of the time though I listen to soundtrack music to get in the mindset of what kind of tone I want some scenes to be.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    What are your thoughts on the album? I've had a quick listen thus far, seems... decent. Although need a more indepth listen - it's one of those albums which need a few gos at, methinks. Like 42 and Viva la Vida though.

I loved it. It was my favorite Coldplay album so far since it kind of broke the mold of the others. I also like how there's no clear singles on it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

Very, very much so. I listen to my iPod when I write. It helps me immensely. You know Face Down? Now think. There's a song called Face Down by the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. ;D Got it? Inspiration!

But now I've probably got you all wondering what horribly sick, emo songs I have on that thing...-shifty eyes-

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Stupid redheads. Can't live with 'em, so they all must die. XD
    My favorite canon character ever of any book/television show/movie/anything that I love more than anything else in the world has red hair. And he can so completely kill you. Because he's Andrew Wiggin. You don't mess with him, as I discussed a few pages ago in this thread. And he's making pancakes.

Nope. Music distracts my muses.

If I do listen to music, then it doesn't affect the mood that I write in, since I play music to fit the mood that I'm writing in.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Because he's Andrew Wiggin. You don't mess with him, as I discussed a few pages ago in this thread. And he's making pancakes.

I is apheared. D:

..And suddenly craving pancakes.

Stupid redheads. Can't live with 'em, so they all must die.

I know a certain red-headed emo boy I'm writing about who'd like a word with you. >.<

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Considering that I've written entire scenes and even one-shots based on song lyrics, I would have to say yes, lol.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    all your redheads are belong to us.

New Topic: When it comes to Pokemon learning new moves, do you go strictly by game canon or do your own thing?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    When it comes to Pokemon learning new moves, do you go strictly by game canon or do your own thing?

I try to go with game canon.

I'm OCD like that. -.-

Venonat used Hydro Pump! :D

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I go mostly by game canon, but sometimes rewrite things into more realistic forms. 'Make your opponent eat flames!' One would assume that the pokemon would not get horribly confused by what they meant if all they knew was an 'ember' attack.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    When it comes to Pokemon learning new moves, do you go strictly by game canon or do your own thing?

In terms of movesets? I go by game canon, occasionally mixing from earlier generations. (Bubblebeam, Raticate!)

Well, the chapter titles of "Thief in the Night" are all song titles, and I wrote the bulk of chapter one while listening to music, but I'm not sure if it's so much the music motivating me to write as it is getting me agitated and making me want to do something, anything. (Incidentally, I think I got the title of chapter two wrong. It's supposed to be the title of some song I heard a little while back about how politicians were scum and the world should be rid of them and whatnot, but I think I messed it up. I only ever heard the song once, and I wanted the title to fit the chapter somewhat.)

Bay

Years

I mostly go by game canon, though most of the time I used TM or Egg moves because of the variety. One can assume though since the Pokemon in my current fic are already experienced, the trainers either taught them the moves or the Pokemon was born with it but they hadn't perfected it till later. In an upcoming chapter of my fic, one of the Pokemon learned an egg move the trainer hadn't seen before, but the thing is that move is a very powerful one.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years

I try to make my writing feel as realistic as possible, so I generally stray from things like experience points, levels, and traditional learning of moves. When I started writing my first fic, I really went out of my way to make sure that it was as far away from being a video game transcription as possible. The most important thing for me as a writer is to have my work be good in its own right and not just because of my Pokemon knowledge (which, I must confess, isn't the most expansive >_<).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, I go by game canon when it comes to giving the monsters moves. But they just learn new moves when they get strong enough. There's no levels in my fic, so my critters just learn moves when it seems to be the right time.

(And how much does it suck to be on a Pokemon forum with a "k" button that doesn't work? :< Now I'm on a keyboard without a number pad, so no more special characters for me!)

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

I actually don't name the moves in my major fic, and I don't really go by level when deciding when and how they will learn a move. For instance, a Latios in my fic just learned Dragon Pulse, but he's fairly young. However, I do limit moves in terms of power as to not make a very inexperienced pokemon suddenly learn something uber. The moves gain power as the pokemon grows accustomed to them or thinks of new ways to use them.

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
    Years

Mostly I don't follow game canon, at least when set in my own region/universe thing. Bassically, a pokemon can learn a lot more attacks and basically can't learn something if they don't have it (no Aipom using Horn Attack) or if its a special move (like Smeargle's Sketch). Its sort of like anime canon or ASBL.

Plus its set a bit after Ash's journey, and TMs are more powerful, so more attacks can be learned. Also, I saw this four/three years ago in a Hoenn journeyfic but there are also custom/signature moves that a trainer and pokemon can develop together.

But if I were writing, say, a novelization of Ruby or Platinum, I would follow game canon in a sensible way.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back