• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
  • Man I've been gone for a while, and I still will be, but I just got this little spare time frame I need to make good use of it.

How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities?

Admittedly, I draw the most basic information about my characters from people I know. However I do this only at an introductory level. In most cases, I go around thinking, "O'K... I need a character who is/does <insert‑adjective‑or‑action‑here>. What about my old friend <insert‑name‑here>?" -- then give them an adaption of their RL counterpart's name, and then start developing with only the adjective as a base.

In most cases, the characters turn completely different from their originals appearance, personality and (of course) history wise. There are only minor exceptions which are done intentionally, when I want to theorize about what would a person "like X" behave in a world "like that", extrapolating how do the attributes that brand people in our society would work in a <insert‑fandom‑here> world. I have yet to write about him in Elusive Goals, but I can safely say Syd is one of those rare cases and that I'm actually very proud of how he is turning out.

I think basing characters off of people you know, when done on a very basic and descriptive level, helps you start your story with osme consistency. You know beforehand how to make those "character spin-offs" react to the very first events around them, and from then you have a more solid ground to develop their personality and history in whatever direction you choose, because you can always reach a point where you can say "no, I'm doing this wrong, a character who was like this would think teice before doing that". Once you get some confidence using those psychological tools, you can freely start developing characters from scratch.

But overall I'm just starting to write FF, so I'll have to wait how those characters turn out in the end. I just happen to be fond of them when compared to my previous crap, or to other things I've read.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • No, seriously. I don't really know if I should be offended here or not. I gather you don't think it's a good thing I'm as insane as I am. If you think so, then of course I can tone it down. It's not like I go up to people downtown and mumble nonsense to them. Frankly, I don't really do it with my friends, either... But I like being crazy and I figured this'd be a great place to go nuts. If it disturbs you, of course I can stop it! Also, I can try to keep on topic a lot more. Like this:

I am not trying to offend you, I was just stating that you are the crayziest one here, not that that's a bad thing.

Please don't stop, you bring a certen level of... craziness to here that only you can bring. (in short: the lounge would not be the same with out you.)

How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities?

In my up coming fic; one person I am using some of the things such as gender, name, and hair from an old friend that I have not seen or talked to in over 4 years, so I am going off of memory, and will most likely not resemble them one bit at all today. As for the others, I am basing them off of my imagination.

ranger of almia

I herd u liek kipz of mudz.
    Years
  • How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities? Well i base my ideas off things that just pop into my head but sometimes i base them off people its like a 50 50 mix catch my drift?

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities?
    DG's answer, Part II:

I just realized something, after chatting with a friend about a WWII rp; I sometimes alter characters into AU versions. For example, Lauren has about 7 or 8 different versions. One of my other characters, Darkana, has 3 different versions. Wilkinson has 2, Colonel Rothstein has 2, etc, etc, etc....

In these cases, the only things that tend to change are personalities, slight alterations in history, slight alterations in physical apperance, and slight alterations in race/species. Only the personalities have major changes, for the most part.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities?

I don't think anyone can really design a character "from scratch." Whether we realize it or not, the characters that we create all have some root in our past experiences and perceptions of people. I certainly recognize that the personalities of my characters are based in part on people I've known. I think one of the reasons why little kids rarely create interesting characters is because they haven't had the time to know as many people.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • I don't think anyone can really design a character "from scratch." Whether we realize it or not, the characters that we create all have some root in our past experiences and perceptions of people. I certainly recognize that the personalities of my characters are based in part on people I've known. I think one of the reasons why little kids rarely create interesting characters is because they haven't had the time to know as many people.
    I concur. Some of my characters are based almost completely off of real life acquaintences, while some are made up of bits and pieces of different people I know. In fact, some of my characters are based on perceptions of other people that I have.

I find it particularly fun to make a character based on someone I hate, that way I can have them graciously defeated at the end, whether or not they are the protagonist =D

EDIT: I meant antagonist, not protagonist. I really am tired lol. I think I'm gonna crash now...

Last edited:

Zadros

Burn
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Aus
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    I've noticed this section isn't extremely active, so I was wondering if there are people around who would want to read an original fic. I can post the commercial here if you want (it's from SPPf). If nobody would read it, there isn't much point posting...

Zadros

Burn
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Aus
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    A combination of a lot of things. There's parts of me, people I know, characters in movies, TV or other books and the random jumbles that are my dreams. I create a lot of characters, plot points and so forth from my dreams, maybe because they're that weird XD

Any based on people I know are fused with heaps of other things, and to be honest I don't think I could make a character with the exact same personality as an existing person. There would be just too much about them I don't know, that even they wouldn't know.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    What is your favorite genre to write?

Action, Adventure, Romance, Manga..

On another note, I'm so happy that there are many Manga fics being posted. Squeeeeee... :)

Takanushi

Proud Samurai Warrior
    Years
  • I was wondering if some one would read my fan fic "Bleach New blade rising" for me and tell me how well i did?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Dumbest thing you've ever put in your fics. And I mean THE dumbest. Don't be shy here.

Gosh. xD I don't really know if it's dumb, just...meh. There.

Other than ONIONS and a Dragonair DYING, I think the dumbest thing I've ever put was the entire fic. My first one, to be exact.

Because, honestly, is Darkrai really going to be stalking Silver and Yellow? No, I don't think so. :/ And then there were the CHEESY battles and the CORNY shippy moments.

It just sucked. I don't even remember most of it.

What is your favorite genre to write?

Romance. <333 I'm just a helpless romantic.

Parodies are great too. :>

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • What is your favorite genre to write?

Though I try to pretend that I'm a more serious person, it's definitely comedy for me. I'd rather be better at science-fiction, but I just can't be serious for very long without trying to be funny.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • What is your favorite genre to write?

Action and adventure, and even though I suck at it, a little Mystery/Suspense.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • 'So he comes to me and he says. "You need to SMILE more."'

Sorry, that theme inspired me to quote. :P
    Some of the people are really, really, based off people I know. Some people are randomly made up, though. Meh... I can't really think properly. :(

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • INNER GRAMMAR AND SPELLING LORD, ATTACK!
    "So he comes to me and he says, 'You need to SMILE more."'

Right about at .'", I gave up; it was straining my eyes. *needs to put her glasses on*...

*is shot down by a German Shepard firing squad*

Have you ever taken up the task of trying to create an entirely new world as a fictional setting for stories?

*answers her own question* Yes, and it was a pain in the a**; still is, seeing as I don't even have the eastern hemisphere mapped out...

But what about YOU?

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Have you ever taken up the task of trying to create an entirely new world as a fictional setting for stories?
    There is this original fantasy story that I have been writing, set in an original world; it's an ice age-ish sort of setting, with a tribe of humans living in caves in an icy region, keeping herds of made-up animals that resemble a mix of various farm animals with paws; the dominant species is dragons, whom the humans loathe because they steal from the herds.

Being that the humans are rather primitive and don't travel very much, there has been no need to create a world map or anything, though. It's all been mostly creating the animals and the precise conditions of the humans.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

I pretty much just come up with an appearance and develop their personality as I go. I have had some planned-out characters, though, like Darkrai, the eloquent ninja.

Have you ever taken up the task of trying to create an entirely new world as a fictional setting for stories?

Yes. I think. I'm making up a world for the Chronicles, at least, that doesn't follow the whole "based off of a Japanese place" theme. It's more like medieval Europe, with maybe a dash of Asian flare.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back