• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGexe

Taunter
Years
  • No, actually. The ' is for what the Joker said and " is for what his dad said. :P Anyway, big win. :P

I know that, but usually... I've seen the double quotes first, then the lil' baby singles.

Ah well! *shrugs; 's grammar lord commits seppuku* H-hey! You're supposed to do that when there is a big, FAT mistake! Stupid overlord who's apparently Japanese...

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Have you ever taken up the task of trying to create an entirely new world as a fictional setting for stories?

Yes, very much so. I have a kazillion original fiction stories and when I first came up with them, I had an own world for each one of them. Then, I figured I could fuse all the worlds into a one huge world, and that's exactly what I did. So, I now have a planet that has three known continents: The Norhtern Continent (Pohjoinen Manner), Gamle (the Old Continent, name derived from Swedish word for old, 'Gammal') and Marhelte (named after the grand duchy of Marhelte that occupies the whole continent, much like Australia, with the sole difference that Marhelte is a very militarian nation).
    They have two moons and three large religious groups.
    This world has a history and I've also planned multiple nations with varying regimes.
    I have drawn several maps of this world, but not a full world map this far. I have several larger pictures of the continents and then some smaller ones of more specific regions.
    They have dragons (mentally remotely human-like ones, not the near-immortal greedy monster type), magic, some sort of spirits or ghosts and a couple of non-human humanoid races. Oh, and fairies. (I had to add them for a certain pun, but it isn't a pun in language any other than Finnish, so I'm not going to bother telling it to you.)
    Currently I have at least ten stories that happen in this world. Not simultaneously, but anyway. Actually, one of them happens quite far in the future from most of the others.
    I've done a lot of work for my very own little fantasy world, but I also love it very dearly. So, just like DGexe said, it's a real pain in the butt (not her exact words), but I've still enjoyed making up beliefs and gods for my people. ^-^

Stupid overlord who's apparently Japanese...
    That explains the mistake, then, huh? :laugh: My overlord is Finnish, so sometimes I just can't but to twitch when I see some stuff that's grammatically accurate for English but a terrible mistake in Finnish.
    "Like having the comma come after the quotes", I say.
    Or when you make a list, comma comes here, here, here, and there's still one before the "and". *shivers*

So, when I take over the world, you'll all have to use Finnish grammar. Okay? Free cookies if you actually speak Finnish. And I'm going to have this planet in my powerful grip soon enough, so start learing, people. Start learning. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!1111!!!11
    *pets her cat in a very evil-looking way*

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Have you ever taken up the task of trying to create an entirely new world as a fictional setting for stories?
    I tried, once, alongside with a friend, to set up a new planet for a Macross‑bases fanfic. We did not succeed that much because we were too inexperienced.

As for me myself and with me, I've never tried to create something completely very absolutely new. Once Alternate Earth for (again) a Macross-based FF, but that was mostly an historical modification, with geography and other elements just lthe way they were.

For my Pokémon FFs, although I won't develop an entire universe or something, I'm developing two entirely new regions, with their own culture, population, distribution, locations, Pokémon (no fakemons however) and some a lot of backstory. The continent of Suocé, which is the homeland of the main characters in the fanfic I'm now writing, is the most developed right now, with cities, towns, natural marvels, a resurfacing economy, land, sea and air (for Pokémon) routes, a Pokémon government security agency involving the local Elite Four, and even its own Pokémon mythology of sorts. I just haven't mapped it because I have no artistic talent at all. I draw humans like this:

··_0/
    ···|
    ··/ \

... and I'm twenty-something.

And, now, taking about much more serious business, or lack of them...

About An-chan's current level of Prozaclessness: OMG I can just picture it:

[CSS-DIV="position: relative; margin-left: 60px; margin-right: 60px; border: 5px outset silver; border-radius: 4px; "][CSS-DIV="text-align: center; background-color: silver; color: black; text-shadow: 2px 1px white; text-shadow: -1px -2px white; font-size: 18pt; letter-stretch: 4px; "]An-chan — *pets her cat in a very evil-looking way*[/CSS-DIV]
    [CSS-DIV="float: left; height: 180px; width: 180px; left: 0; top: 10px; margin-right: 10px;"]
    Fanfiction Lounge
    [/CSS-DIV]An-chan can has world!
    An-chan teaches Finnish at the speed of light.
    Translate now...
    Or prepare to cry!
    [CSS-DIV="font-size:150%; font-variant: small-caps; text-shadow: 1px 1px red; text-shadow: -2px -1px #cc8800;; text-align: center; "]An-chan Joukkue[/CSS-DIV]
    [/CSS-DIV]

PS.: I truly, really, HOPE I got the Finnish part right, or else I'll be serving na dópros in Yakutia this time tomorrow... watched by a group of chainsawing Chanseys! :D And the na dópros is in Russian because is one of the only three or four things I know about Russian :( :cry: and it's NOT FINNISH!!!!!

I can has be alive, right?????

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • ··_0/
    ···|
    ··/ \
    Really now? I just don't. 8D. Dang, this font is weird. :(
    MAPPING USING ROM HACK IS SO TOTALLY FUNY AND AWESOME YOU SHOULD TRY IT LOLOLOLOL YOU CAN HAS A ROM HACK MAPS AND THEY LOOK REALLY COOL BUT I BET YOU MEAN THE WORLD MAP DONT YOU?

Anyway, that picture is epic. :P

I've never created a new world for my fanfiction, but my ROM hack has a completely made up Pokemon continent. :P

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
    I'm using the actual Pokemon world for one of my fictions and the real world for my other one. I have a vague idea of what I want for my next chaptered fiction (gahh! so many!), but that one won't start for quite some time now. Not until The Fall of Light and Affliction are finished or near-finished.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Solovino: As much as I hate to tell this to you... No, you didn't get it right. Joukkue is like a sports team or a platoon in the army or something. If you meant it like "Team An-chan", it'd have to be ryhmä. In any case, it would sound odd in Finnish. However, I deeply appreciate you trying to write some Finnish! Kiitos kovasti (as someone might've guessed, it means "Thank you very much" in Finnish) and so on. It really suprised me. Thanks ^-^

But your worst mistake was this:
    I am not a team... I rule the world ALL BY MYSELF! I also conquer it by myself! I'll have everything for me and only me! So, shiver in fear, you lowly creatures, because I shiver from this immense coldness in my room and might freeze to death in which case your lowly world will remain free... Ah, nonsense! Not even the Ninja Caterpie will stop me now! MWAHAAHAHA!

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Solovino: As much as I hate to tell this to you... No, you didn't get it right. Joukkue is like a sports team or a platoon in the army or something. If you meant it like "Team An-chan", it'd have to be ryhmä. In any case, it would sound odd in Finnish. However, I deeply appreciate you trying to write some Finnish! Kiitos kovasti (as someone might've guessed, it means "Thank you very much" in Finnish) and so on. It really suprised me. Thanks ^-^

But your worst mistake was this:
    I am not a team... I rule the world ALL BY MYSELF! I also conquer it by myself! I'll have everything for me and only me! So, shiver in fear, you lowly creatures, because I shiver from this immense coldness in my room and might freeze to death in which case your lowly world will remain free... Ah, nonsense! Not even the Ninja Caterpie will stop me now! MWAHAAHAHA!

Voi, ei, varo! Täältä tulee hullu, teho nälkä An-chan!

(If anything is spelled, or typed wrong, blame Google Translate.)

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities?

I base them on my friends and famous characters everyone loves. Don't normally modify anything, really. It's hard enough to predict what my friends would say in any situation, let alone figuring it out when I've messed around with their personalities.

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
    Years
  • How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities?

I do a little of both. I will take someone I know, then totally mess them up. If I met a guy who was totally serious, but looked like a funny guy, he would be a funny guy who looked serious in one of my stories. I might even come up with my own characters, then give them the personality of someone I know.

Also, this was to funny to ignore.

Fanfiction Lounge

https://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-graphs-pokemon-team-rocket.gif

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Voi, ei, varo! Täältä tulee hullu, teho nälkä An-chan!

(If anything is spelled, or typed wrong, blame Google Translate.)

OH DEAR LORD =D =D =D =D =D =D =D
    I LOVE GOOGLE TRANSLATOR!!!11111

No, seriously, the thing cracks me up. I translate my poems or stories with it for the lulz.
    Okay. Let's see. I understand most of it. "Voi ei, varo!" would be "Oh, no, watch out!" and "täältä tulee hullu" is "here comes (a? the?) crazy". The end just makes no sense at all. "Teho nälkä An-chan"... That's like "power hunger An-chan", and unless that's some Sailor Moon -type attack, I'm completely hazed about what that might mean :laugh: or maybe it's my name as a superhero? I'm actually quite hungry right now, to be frank...

An-chan stands on a cliff with the wind blowing from behind her, making her ridiculously short skirt and long hair sway in the wind. She has a part mecha suit, part sailor outfit and a huge fork, about as tall as her, in her hand. She looks down at the well-being of the people living in a big city.

"These people sicken me... Eating and drinking with the expence of their kind!" she whispers to herself, holding back tears of empathy.

The wind blows suddently harder and she is forced to bend to maintain her balance.

"I'm sick of it", she screams towards the city and hits the soil under her feet with her fork. She starts to shimmer with faint, blue light as she closes her eyes. "In the name of love and peace, I shall punish you! Go go Lounge Rangers!" She raises her head as she whirls around with her beaming fork.

"Power...." she yells and raises her fork in the air.
    "Hunger...." she bends her body to its limits, preparing to release the fork's energy.
    "AN-CHAN!!!!!!111" she sends a beam from her fork flying towards the city.

Soon, these people will face the hunger they inflicted to other people themselves. An-chan grins in a gloomy way. She can give out justice in this world, but for what price... She may never eat herself and is thus doomed to eternal hunger, yet she still sees the world clearly and only gives rightful punishements. She is the soldier for all that is beautiful. She is... Power Hunger An-chan.

Oh, right, now I got it. It's power hungry, isn't it? That translator really can't do anything properly :laugh: But it's a lot funnier my way... :<

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Man, it's been ages since I've posted here. Hi, guys. Remember me? I'm the snarky one that's been pissing people off in the main forum. *thumbs up*

What is the most intelligent thing you've ever put into your fics?

Probably the pretentious philosophy in Goldfish Funerals. You know. The one where a certain character explains death to a nine-year-old child by saying something along the lines of, "Yeah, you can't avoid it, but on the bright side, if you do something with life, then it's not all that bad." Only, you know, in fluffier terms because this is being said to a nine-year-old who lost her beloved pet Magikarp.

Oh, you and your optimism, dear character.

Dumbest thing you've ever put in your fics. And I mean THE dumbest. Don't be shy here.

Thinly veiled self-insert Mary Sue in my first big epic, Warp Series. Complete with omniscience and prophecies to hand out like candy.

Actually, most of the cast of Warp Series. That was a pretty godawful fic in hindsight.

I should imagine Pokemorphs can be made with gene manipulation before the thing is born, but afterwards? Oh, come on!

THANK YOU.

Of course, I should be one to talk, but still. I'm not entirely fond of the "kid gets captured by Team Rocket and is randomly turned into a Pokemorph through vague science" trope for the reason that it's always through illogical means.

But that's what you get when you have people who don't know basic biology writing fics.

(I should be one to talk, but still.)

What is the longest time you've written without doing anything in between? (Going to bathroom, drinking something and eating doesn't count unless you do it for hours.) What about reading?

Couple of hours, I think. For both. I'm very easily distracted.

What is your favorite genre to write?

For multi-chapter fics, dark fic. I really don't know why, but everything I write eventually turns into dark fic. My second favorite, naturally, is science-fiction, if only because sci-fi rocks my socks.

For one-shots, crack fic. The subtler the crack, the better. As in, you really don't realize it's crack until BAM, something happens, and then you're like, "WTF?" *motions to His Angel*

Which part of a story do you like the most? The beginning with its character introduction, the middle with its mystery, or the end with its action and (hopefully) climactic ending?

To write, probably the beginning. Although I always say that my beginnings are slow, I like building the characters and getting the plot going, and that's usually the time when the idea I'm writing about is freshest.

To read, the end. Particularly if all the loose ends actually come together, and I can see all the shiny Chekov's guns (if there are even any).

How do you come up with your characters? Do you design them from scratch or use people you know as their bases? If the latter, how much do you modify their personalities?

All of my characters are based on either other characters in media or people I know. For example, Professor Nettle is based on two professors I've actually had during my college education. (Her appearance comes from one of my English professors. Meanwhile, her personality stems from a feminist professor whose European history course I dropped after two days because she really was the stereotypical feminazi kind of woman -- complete with cats and the opinion that women's history is founded primarily on oppression. Which it is, but still, that's annoying as all hell, especially when sitting in a class at a women's college surrounded by butch lesbians and other feminazis who essentially think the same thing. *headdesk, headdesk*)

Then, you've got Olivia, whose appearance and personality was based loosely on River Tam from the series Firefly. Viola was based somewhat on myself (although her appearance stems from that of Kurorat Jio Clocks in the manga Dream Gold). Mercury and Imogen were based on friends, Orsino was based (in terms of personality) on Kyosuke from the anime Spiral, and Andrew was based on his namesake from Twelfth Night.

I have a few characters who were created sheerly out of necessity, practically from scratch. Benvolio, for example, while loosely based on his namesake, was mostly conjured from the necessity to have a down-to-earth character among Mercury's crew. Sebastian, meanwhile, was crafted pretty much essentially to serve as a mentor for Viola. I don't recall if he was actually based on anyone.

Have you ever taken up the task of trying to create an entirely new world as a fictional setting for stories?

Admittedly, no. The closest I've come was to create countries, but all of them are in already existing worlds.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Actually, the entire minivid is crazy hilarious. Starts off with Hillary, and apparently she sucks so much that the player has to switch in Obama.

Now, politics brings me to create a new question ^^

Have you or are you using politics as a theme of your fiction?
    I am in my new fiction, Affliction. I plan on using Communism to a great extent, and also intend on including a different totalitarian form of government somewhere later on.

Buoysel

Years
  • Have you or are you using politics as a theme of your fiction?

No, but that would make an interesting twist; maybe even something alone the lines of Pokemon social services.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    It doesn't look like it right now...

Does religion count, however? :D *shot*

EDIT:

Which do/would you like using better in a story:
    Bad-ass military female officer or bad-ass savvy general? And why?

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Lol, hi, A Midsummer Knight's Dream and your thinly veiled metaphor for the American two-party-dominant system.

(I guess this means Prospero House is the Libretarian Party?)

Hard to say. I think Misato Katsuragi-like characters are hot, but on the other hand, Lt. Effing Surge. So, basically, strategy or sheer kick-assery?

Depends on what the story calls for. I could bend either way, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

I'm sort of creating a system of government that's a hybrid of a monarchy and oligarchy. The king makes all the decisions, but the Elite Four acts as his advisers and have a lot of say in what goes on. So yes, politics come into play to some degree. I certainly have a lot of social commentary, and some of it involves the government.

I have both, sort of, and like both. They aren't all perfect and untouchable and such, but they can certainly bring on a mean fight. Mewtwo's the female officer-ish perso...err...pokemon, and she has, among other things, a heavily armed light space fighter, a mech/suit thing with more ridiculous weapons, and psychic powers to boot. My male soldiers consist of a guy with a Dragonair and a spear that can create and control water (still in development), and another with a Rayquaza and indestructible gold armor. *thumbs up*

Last edited:

Buoysel

Years
  • Bad-ass military female officer or bad-ass savvy general? And why?

The female officer sounds like fun tiring to pull off, especially the attitude part.

But I don't really have any sort of government in my fic, except maybe the police once or twice.

EDIT: An-chan, löysin täydellisen kuvan sinulle
    https://www.avatarist.com/avatars/Funny/Gonna-Take-Over-the-World.jpg

(yay for Google Translate.)

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Dear lord, all thin Finnish is starting to confuse me. That one was right, though, Buoysel... And AWWWW, it's Percy! I love that cat...

I also love Katsuragi Misato -type characters. I'm all for bad-ass military female officers or bad-ass, puny military geek officers who go with tactics. Machoism never appealed to me in any way. I mean, Lt. Surge and Zaraki Kenpachi are, you know, cool and all that, but in the end, they're rather boring chatacters. I like the scheming, a tad devilish and intelligent military officers, bad guys and leaders. Expecially the ones who have a sense of humour, even more so if sarcasm is one of their past-times. I'm just a sucker for nerdyish characters xD

What is the most unlikely thing - one that was completely against the odds - that has happened in a fic of yours? Why was it unlikely (if it's not obvious) and what was its purpose in the story?

I think mine would be Cimi getting shot twice in a country where weapons are not known. Or, well, a certain thing I can't tell because Mama's Boy isn't there yet.

Of course, stories are full of stuff that isn't likely to happen and that's normal, but I'm asking for stuff that made you wonder if people will buy such an unlikely event...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back