• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Be honest. If you find a fic with chapters only four pages long, do you prefer to sit down and read that as opposed to a fic with chapters ten or more pages long? Also, what's the maximum number of pages you can tolerate before you want to move on to something shorter?
I prefer to read a chapter with over four pages, but no more than twenty. This is because I can't see how you can fit hardly anything in just four pages. On the other hand, if the chapter is more then twenty pages, and unless I love the fic, I start skimming and get bored.

Do you write sequels to your fan fictions?
I've never completed a fanfic before, but I am already thinking of a sequel to my current project. Not that that means I'm going to do it, but the idea won't leave me alone.

What's your stance on the subject of "made-up" moves for fan fictions? Not the perfectly plausible "commands" that just didn't make it to the game–learnset (eg.: why can't a Spearow Tackle, if it would be just the same as a Pidgey's, throwing one's body at the foe?), but the more specific, original, and/or complex movements, like let's say, PASBL–style "Signature moves".
I don't mind if the moves are just the same techniques the Pokemon already knows but under different names, though I draw the line at moves that totally don't exist.

Do you write side stories to your fan fictions? -- Not direct prequels/sequels
Yeah, sometimes, though I'll never post them.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
What's your stance on the subject of "made-up" moves for fan fictions? Not the perfectly plausible "commands" that just didn't make it to the game–learnset (eg.: why can't a Spearow Tackle, if it would be just the same as a Pidgey's, throwing one's body at the foe?), but the more specific, original, and/or complex movements, like let's say, PASBL–style "Signature moves".

I purposely avoid move names in my fics, and instead rely on whatever a set pokemon seems like it should be able to do. So instead of "Mewtwo used psychic to cut the metal door in half" I say "Mewtwo cut the metal door in half with her mind." I think it makes everything more realistic, and also gives me a little more freedom to do what I want.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Attack : Thunder Shatter
Type : Normal / Electric

Pikachu rolls into a ball and glows with a black light before entering
the victim's body. The victim then vibrates and explodes, leaving the
Pikachu in its place. Effective against rock.

Ouch. He must be vibrating REALLY fast.

Bay

Years

Dang it Ebon, you made me suddenly think of Pikachu as a type of toy I don't want to think about EVER. ._.

I did for my old one shot "Take Fifty Five!" called "Simplicity" but I didn't post it here. I should one day, though. XD

I thought about that. One move I thought of is Moonbeam, which is a Normal Type version of Solarbeam. The only problem is I can't seem to think of a scene where that move would be used.

As far as made up moves goes, I'm fine with it as long as it's plausible. The games keep adding new attacks each generation like new Pokemon. Since writers keep making up new Pokemon, why can't the writer come up with new attacks too?

None, although I thought about writing a side story of NE that has Chief Lucas as the main character and his dealing with Looker. Might want to write that story, though.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Attack : Thunder Shatter
Type : Normal / Electric

Pikachu rolls into a ball and glows with a black light before entering
the victim's body. The victim then vibrates and explodes, leaving the
Pikachu in its place. Effective against rock.

That... that.... was... even real???????

I mean, blow up physics? Physics???? What PHYSICS????

Bay said:
Dang it Ebon, you made me suddenly think of Pikachu as a type of toy I don't want to think about EVER. ._.
Xanthine said:
Okay, no. We're not going to continue that thought.
Totally agreed...

... Good that we stopped that trai of thought... :cross-eye

Bay said:
One move I thought of is Moonbeam, which is a Normal Type version of Solarbeam. The only problem is I can't seem to think of a scene where that move would be used.
If the mechanics are just as those of SolarBeam, then a practical scenario is a night-time skirmish (not a "standard" battle) in an open field, and what else? Oh yeah, moon. And having a supporting partner for the run, as it needs to recharge. I like to write small skirmishes and ambushes like that.

Dragonfree said:
Yes, both the Scyther spin-offs of The Quest for the Legends and the various one-shot extras expanding on events that happen 'off-screen'.
Yeah, I read both works in two days and then again during a one month period. You know, sometimes I can't believe they are side stories... Oh but let's stop there.

Dagzar said:
Yeah, sometimes, though I'll never post them.
.... W H Y ????
I mean, if you don't mind I ask...

----

And now answering my own questions, which I think is only fair, but still I'm going to take advantage, ha ha ha....:

What's your stance on the subject of "made-up" moves for fan fictions? blah‑blah‑woof‑woof and what not... , but the more specific, original, and/or complex movements, like let's say, PASBL–style "Signature moves".
I was thinking of the case where an ace trainer (at least) wants to perfect the technique of his Pokémon, or at least give it a "unique touch" to help him balance on situations where it is obviously at disadvantage. But that comes as a kinda "game-breaker" of sorts. That's why I asked.

For my fanfiction I created four "new moves", which won't be seen unti later in the story, but they are once-in-a-battle tricks, their origins explained by the Trainer's backgrounds.
One of them, which I think I can safely submit here for opinions, is a Scyther-specific variation on Guillotine. The basic idea was to mix the attack style of X-Scissor, which involves Scyther using both blades, and False Swipe, which would have him attach with the blunt sides (the outer part of the exoskeleton). Assuming it would hit the exact point (foe's throat, if any), it would exert pressure upon the foe to the point of blocking its breath and rendering it unconscious, thus a "one-hit KO" of sorts. I followed all the (game canon) rules of practicality: low chance of success as it must hit a specific point from an upfront attack, works only on weaker foes who should be lower and/or heavier, because Scyther has to exert enough strength for a (maybe extended) period of time, and was taught to a Scyther because it fits its "sneaker" profile. That kind of safeguards. The attack is still unnamed but it still fills the profile to become a "Guillotine" or a "Close Choke" of sorts.

Another of the moves is a grass-type combo from two alreaydy available moves which I commented with my Beta Reader, who seemed to approve of the transition I did from game mechanics to "real life" ones.

And the other two I have in reserve, waiting until the two first ones are well developed.

Beyond that, I've never been kind to "ultrasupergigamegamoves", or that kind of stuff, as in, as stated by Xanthine, "Final Fantasy-esque maneuvers in which Pokémon call down gods or can't be stopped thanks to this all-powerful move that's meant to be the power of some kind of deity". No thanks, I had enough just by readin the description of that ultra super Pikachu attack.

But I am more than accepting towards attacks that seem to be natural for the Pokémon performing it, or that make sense to have been taught or developed given the Pokémon's (or the Trainer's) previous knowledge. The tactical preparations for a Pokémon who has spent her entire life racing would be quite different than the ones for a Pokémon who has spent most of its life sneaking into facilities and acting as an escape route guard. I also like to try to come up with a way for an attack that has not been described in the Anime/Manga (at least the parts Iknow of), or that is simply weird to perform, such as... well... Taunt/Torment.

As this is a Lounge for FF development, I would be glad to hear your opinions on the aforementioned "made-up" Guillotine, and the maybe I can post the others (with care: I don't want to spoil things).

As for the other question, I think is rather obvious, but still: "Elusive Goals" is an actual spin-off I'm publishing here before the parent (original) story. Pretty much everything else I write, such as "Scalar", are side stories.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Well, Pikachu was inserted into a rock-hard--

Okay, no. We're not going to continue that thought.
I think we might just keep quoting.

Or not.

Yeah. >.< A rock, godamnit. Even a ghost doesn't do that. And that sounded wrong.

Onto a different note....=P
Going to write a serious alternate ending involving blown up arms, war and evil organisations. Full blown. As in, y'know. Chapters. =P
And a one-shot alternate to that one. xD

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

No, not usually. To me it just seems wrong that some characters go on a full-blown huge, epic adventure, and then do it all over again in a later story. It seems like they've been through enough spotlighting already and to do it all over again wouldn't be 'fair' (for lack of better term), you know what I mean? (Yeah, probably not, but still.)

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
Years

I haven't yet, mainly because I let the whole story arc fall into one story if I'm writing something which has enough length to it. However, I am planning on writing a prequel to a fanfiction I have written, because so many people were interested in the history of the two main character's and their turbulent relationship.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020

Yes. I am already planning one. However, this time, it'll be more of a story through-out time being BOTH a somewhat-prequel and direct-sequel in a weird sort of way. Not "1 Chapter is a prequel, the other a sequel" style, but... [How do I put this?] it goes from about 30 years ago all the way to 2 years into the future. Yeah, thank Haruko for that.

Yeah, the second book will have that. It just goes throughout a time before Neo was born, but has nothing to do with his parents, which I doubt will be shown. Gotta invent a way for their disappearance. Move to Sinnoh? Hm... Neo hasn't been there yet.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years

My fic "Faith" already has sequels on the way, and I haven't even posted it yet.

And sheesh, guys? Ten pages is long? Mine's nineteen so far, and we haven't even beaten a Gym yet! I should cut back >_< Just kidding.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
And sheesh, guys? Ten pages is long? Mine's nineteen so far, and we haven't even beaten a Gym yet! I should cut back >_< Just kidding.

Really? Hm... Oddly enough, there isn't a single Gym Battle in my book, but the Badges are for fun.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Well, mine is a Trainerfic, but I'm trying as hard as I can to avoid another "get starter, beat Gym Leaders, defeat evil team, catch legendary Pokemon, win League Champs, become famous" and all that jazz. Originality, that's my watchword! ^_~

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Well, mine is a Trainerfic, but I'm trying as hard as I can to avoid another "get starter, beat Gym Leaders, defeat evil team, catch legendary Pokemon, win League Champs, become famous" and all that jazz. Originality, that's my watchword! ^_~

Ooh. Shiny. Point me to it when you post it? I've been wanting to see some good OT fic.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Thanks! I'll do that, Xanthine. It still needs quite a makeover, so it may be some time till it gets up here, but it'll be there; no need to worry!

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years

I'm going to be writing a sequel to my Pokemon Special: Ruby & Sapphire fic thatwill be called; Pokemon Special: Emerald.
It will follow the journey of Emerald as he takes on the Battle Frontier.
A third installment will come after that called; Pokemon Special: Diamond, Pearl and Platinum.
The reason for that one will be revealed at the end of Pokemon Special: Emerald.

Beside's that, I'm going to be writing a spin-off series for Pokemon Special: Ruby & Sapphire which will be called; Pokemon Special: Wally.
It will be about what's going on in Wally's life between returning home from Rustboro City and moving to Vendanturf Town.

Bay

Years
Kenji, I wouldn't be too worried about being original. For instance, I'm planning to have a trainer fic where the trainer wants to go defeat an evil team and also still go around trying to win badges, but with a twist. Or at least I'm trying. -_-

Yes, it would be nice to have a trainer fic that's fresh, but at the same time don't fret over it too much. I'm sure your fic will do fine. :) Let me know too when you post that story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back