• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Where do your stories take place - any regions that you use, or make up, or neither? And are they set in the present, past or future?

Depends on the story. I like spreading myself around the canon regions, mostly, although I've yet to find a chance to use a fancreated one I've had since a failed attempt at a fanfic a couple years ago. It's a detailed region with its own culture, history, and Pokémon, too, which kinda makes me a bit sad that I can never find a reason to use it.

For the major stories that I'm currently writing:

A Midsummer Knight's Dream takes place in Kanto, in the not too distant future. In it, there's a city between Saffron and Celadon, but something happened (namely, a pretty major war) that completely destroyed not only the forest between them but also most of Celadon itself. As a result, Verona City grew surrounded by wasteland and bordered really only by Saffron on the east side (although it's still quite a distance away).

Anima Ex Machina takes place in present-day Kanto and Hoenn. (It's somewhat AU because I started writing it when Ash was setting off for Sinnoh, so it assumes he's on his Sinnoh journey while all of this is taking place.) Polaris Institute is located on Cinnabar Island; it's a relatively new (ten years old) facility on a man-made peninsula jutting from the island's southern edge. Formerly, it was a technological institute, but thanks to its advanced security, the national government converted it into the regional center to handle Project Stardust (i.e., the government sponsors one per region, and Polaris is it for Kanto). Action frequently goes back to the institute, but a lot of other scenes also take place across Hoenn (following Bill as he travels), Professor Oak's laboratory, and an unnamed location where the Committee is headquartered.

As for Bloom and its subsequent chapters, Bloom itself takes place primarily in Kanto, with certain flashbacks obviously being in Goldenrod City, Johto. The sequels I'm planning/working on now fan out across Johto, with a primary focus on Ecruteak City. This is, of course, provided I actually sit down to finish at least the next one in the series.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Where do your stories take place - any regions that you use, or make up, or neither? And are they set in the present, past or future?

Hmm... Eternal Warrior takes place in Johto, but with notices about Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. There is also an island that I made up, way west of Sinnoh, and the Torn World also appears in it. Er... they also take place in the past, first on the island, and then goes to Hoenn. Yeah, many places.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years

Honestly, I hate using the canon regions because they're too restrictive for what I write. I love playing God, though it is in fiction alone. And, I typically have things set in the modern age, for a slight sense of realism.

But, I have been doing some tweeking with the PMD world, in the sense that one of my stories takes place some time after the events in the original games.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Metal Coat takes place mostly in the region of Sinnoh, ten years into the future, but also is briefly (I mean a half a chapter twice in the story briefly) in the PMD-verse of Treasure Town and the extremely suspicious mountain that popped up near it. x3

txteclipse

The Last
Years
My regions are completely made up, except for one location in the Eon Chronicles.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
I've wanted to write a story that took place in the future, but I can't seem to think up any good ideas. Either way...

A Journey You Won't Soon Forget took place in present-day Sinnoh.
Pokemon Special: Ruby & Sapphire was set in present-day Hoenn.
And my new Fic will take place in Kanto, a few years in the past.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
New topic:
If you were to replace any part of your story, what would it be?

For me, it'd be... the entire Chapter 1. It was my greatest mistake yet.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
Probably simply things like; which Pokemon the main characters have and when they evolve, I'd also re-do some battle so that they flow better and maybe give nicknames to the Pokemon.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years

My story takes place in three regions. The Kanto Region, the Almia Region, and the Johto Region. Mostly, it is in the Kanto Region (unless you want to think about it technically in which it all takes place in the Almia Region because Chase is telling a story). It takes place fifty years in the future of the anime.

I'm not sure... I guess my prologue, but I'd really just add description to it (which I'm going to be doing anyways).

txteclipse

The Last
Years

Geeze, I don't know. I had a filler chapter I probably could have left out.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I used to be "friends" with a plagiarist. I stupidly let her convince me to include her character in my fic. I'm rewriting my fic, and in addition to rewriting craptacular early chapters, I'm removing her character from the two chapters she appears in. Sadly, she's still in the Sppf version, and since that's in the completed fic archives now, I can't get rid of her in that version.

Bay

Years
For NE, in anime/game terms, a few years after the events of the anime. In Chapter 20, Jacob and Matt referenced the events from Movie 10 and 11. If talking in year terms, spring of 2007, since that was actually when I started planning out the revised version of NE. Also, the story takes place in Sinnoh, since the plates play a huge part in the story and you can only find them over there! :P

Mostly Chapters 14 and 19. Chapter 14 because there were too many events going on at once, many not expanded upon. Chapter 19 so I could expand Jenny and Bunny's argument more and also BUNNY VS. JENNY! XD

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well... that topic sure sparked activity back here... O_O

Better answer it myself then. XD

Well, my main fic takes place in the region of Orre (from Colosseum and XD), and is set at around the same time as the events of Colosseum. Interesting coincidence, that. -_-

As for a one-shot I did, I set it in an undetermined place and time, although maybe a bit before the 'present' age of Pokemon. Just a place with a lake and a nearby mountain range, and some small caves.

Hmm... not that easy for me to answer. =/ Maybe the beginning, which I might be able to improve some with more comedy and all, but I'm kinda ok with how it is anyway, I suppose... but if I wanted to overload my fic into a higher standard of quality I'd start there. XD

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
Years

Mine goes across the four canon regions, but will mostly be set in Sinnoh and Kanto (my two favourite regions) because it makes sense for my characters and their history to use these two regions.

It's set in the present, both for the canon and in real life (thinking of the technologies I use). But I do a CSI-style acceleration of the processes, or else it would be an inanely boring fic >.<

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

For AEM, nothing, really. I took particular care in making sure that every part is actually somewhat needed for the rest of the story. The first chapter could use a little trimming, though.

For MKD, uh, whatever made this fic all political and serious business. I'd also like to replace the movie chapter with an actual battle, which was my original intention, but I got lazy.

Bay

Years
For MKD, uh, whatever made this fic all political and serious business. I'd also like to replace the movie chapter with an actual battle, which was my original intention, but I got lazy.

I actually like the political and serious business in MKD. You don't see those happening too often in Pokemon fanfics. :P That actually what made that story original, at least to me. :) Battles are overrated. XD; *gets shot*

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

I would probably make the plot a little more clear-cut. I've been trying to do that in the revision (the version you guys are reading here) but so far, the first five chapters have been incredibly vague. That's what you get for starting a story knowing a beginning, and end, but not a middle, I guess...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I actually like the political and serious business in MKD. You don't see those happening too often in Pokemon fanfics. :P That actually what made that story original, at least to me. :) Battles are overrated. XD; *gets shot*

Aww, thanks. ^-^ I'm really glad you like it (and weren't bored by it).

Luckily, I'm also too lazy to change it either way, so... XD

New topic?

Mary Sues. Let's face it. We've probably all had 'em. What were some of yours, and how were they Mary Sues?

Edit: LOLtypo.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Mary Sues. Let's face it. We've probably all had 'em. What were some of yours, and how were the Mary Sues?

Aside from the parody of one I write for a fic I haven't yet posted, I can recall one quite amusing, early story of mine which involved a Suetastic Murkrow gijinka-girl named Yamikarasu (yeah, seriously) attempting to catch a Budew with her, surprise surprise, Murkrow. Despite the fact that she was a Sue (and the story was incredibly short and quite painful for me to read, even if it was only written in July '07), she actually paved the way for a much deeper and more acceptable character.

Last edited:

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Mary Sues. Let's face it. We've probably all had 'em. What were some of yours, and how were the Mary Sues?

So far, I have to say I've had one moment when Kaleen is a bit of a Mary Sue. Although it is a legit strategy and it would work in the games, Luxray beats a Whiscash with vitually no damage (Luxray used Magnetrise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back