• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    OK, that was weird, even with my computer muted. i'm never clicking on one of ur youtube links again And this-

Summary of 'Articuno Attack' said:
    With 5 chapters, Moltres and Articuno are enemies, and Moltres tries to make Articuno like her, but it doesn't work.
    This SO makes we want to read the story. And-

Summary of 'Interregional Showdown' said:
    Ash and May meet again at a tournament to decide the World Champion. AshxMay Second genre should be 'Action' rather than 'Adventure'.
    This is wrong on so many levels. JUST CHANGE THE FRICKING GENRE ALREADY!!!! Not to mention the fact that it's another AdvanceShipping fic, and skimming through, it looks to be pretty crap. The author also says-
    Captainof100 said:
    Ash will be in the next chapter, but the battles won't begin until Chapter 3.
    Reviews and constructive criticism are welcomed. I will update when I have 8 reviews.
    Flamers will have curses placed upon them that forbid them from thinking negative thoughts, turning them into mindless optimists. Bwahaha...

@w@ Draw your own conclusions. I'm interested to see what you think of this. Not the story, the narcissism.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    /end lurk

I'm sorry, I'm gonna back to an older topic (I think it's still on this page, though), because I've really been wondering what actually a "destiny 'fic" is. o.O I left before the huge mass of them swept through SPPf, and I tried reading one, but then all of them triple space it out for some reason, and I don't get it. ;-;

So like ... from what I read here, they're like ... normal trainers that ... turn into legendaries? Or like ... gain powers? Or ... something? o_O How do those fic writers actually ... write how they get ... whatever.

Ellipses barrage!

And just so I can has not the spam:

Do you judge a fic by it's reviews?

I won't lie; sometimes. =D Only for the super long stories, though, just so I can get a gist of it and to see if it's something I'm interested in and to see why the story is liked by people. For shorter stories, I usually read the story first, then review (if I want to) before reading other people's reviews. So I usually end up repeating people. =X

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Sparkling Dragon said:
    OK, that was weird, even with my computer muted. i'm never clicking on one of ur youtube links again
    Wise decision. :P

Saprkling Dragon said:
    @w@ Draw your own conclusions. I'm interested to see what you think of this. Not the story, the narcissism.
    I know. :O

I do find it funny that such narcissism is present in fanfiction. :/

Misheard Whisper

Years
    /end lurk

I'm sorry, I'm gonna back to an older topic (I think it's still on this page, though), because I've really been wondering what actually a "destiny 'fic" is. o.O I left before the huge mass of them swept through SPPf, and I tried reading one, but then all of them triple space it out for some reason, and I don't get it. ;-;

So like ... from what I read here, they're like ... normal trainers that ... turn into legendaries? Or like ... gain powers? Or ... something? o_O How do those fic writers actually ... write how they get ... whatever.
    I ninja'd you =P Anyway, I see destiny fics as the ones where whichever OT we happen to be following finds out that he/she is the Chosen One - of some sort, pushing the Sue Meter up to six. They usually succeed, pushing the Sue Meter up to eight, and often brush it off as nothing, making it a nasty nine on the Sue Meter. That's just my definition, though.

Ellipses barrage!
    I think . . . I agree with you . . . although . . . ellipses can be harmful . . . to your health . . . I read that somewhere . . . in NatGeo, I think . . . oh wait . . . I don't reat NatGeo . . . so where did I find it? . . . I don't know . . . I'mm'a go hide now . . . in a corner . . . a dark one . . . in Tahiti . . . or maybe Piccadilly . . . I can't decide . . . *slashes wrists*

And just so I can has not the spam:
    Not spam? This is the FFL! Heathen!

EDIT: Ninja'd. *grumps*

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    I swear this was on page 412 when I was writing that post. I think I'm just nuts. x_X

I ninja'd you =P Anyway, I see destiny fics as the ones where whichever OT we happen to be following finds out that he/she is the Chosen One - of some sort, pushing the Sue Meter up to six. They usually succeed, pushing the Sue Meter up to eight, and often brush it off as nothing, making it a nasty nine on the Sue Meter. That's just my definition, though.
    Pirates > ninjas. ;-;

So like ... they get powers, and no one questions it or asks like, "Isn't this kind of Mary Sue?" Like the reviewers I mean. Are they all just zomg awesome possum? I really should try to read one of the well known ones and the reviews, but I'm a little scared to. =3

I think . . . I agree with you . . . although . . . ellipses can be harmful . . . to your health . . . I read that somewhere . . . in NatGeo, I think . . . oh wait . . . I don't reat NatGeo . . . so where did I find it? . . . I don't know . . . I'mm'a go hide now . . . in a corner . . . a dark one . . . in Tahiti . . . or maybe Piccadilly . . . I can't decide . . . *slashes wrists*
    *throws an exclamation point and runs off cackling*

Misheard Whisper

Years
    I swear this was on page 412 when I was writing that post. I think I'm just nuts. x_X
    come to the dark side we have cookies

Pirates > ninjas. ;-; NO IT'S ALL A LIE! DON'T LISTEN TO HER MY NINJA FRIENDS YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY! except Ino you fail

So like ... they get powers, and no one questions it or asks like, "Isn't this kind of Mary Sue?" Like the reviewers I mean. Are they all just zomg awesome possum? I really should try to read one of the well known ones and the reviews, but I'm a little scared to. =3
    Powers are a staple of destiny fics, but not entirely necessary to define a story as such. I forgot to mention, said fics often include premonitions, omens and vivid dreams of past, present and/or future events.

*throws an exclamation point and runs off cackling*
    *blocks with shield of full stops* Hahaha! *is nailed by sneaky question mark*

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Oh, usually, some people point it out and wonder if it's a bit Sueish, but then those reviewers get leapt on by the author's pack of rabid groupies.

That and because a lot of OT stories eventually end up with the main character being part of an elaborate prophecy that involves legendaries and possibly the end of the world if the MC doesn't do something to stop it with the power of the Chosen One because it's seen by the author as being incredibly exciting because it's plot, it's plausible that not too many people actually notice. *shrug*

Of course, it also depends on the community and the quality of the fic itself. Incredibly bad fic (as in, nearly illegible) don't get a peep. Readable fic in less discerning communities (read: probably not this one but definitely FFNet) do get those kinds of groupies.

But if we're confused about a definition, these are the steps to creating a destiny fic:

1. Start off with an ordinary original trainer fic, complete with the trainer beginning a Pokémon journey. This will tend to have a variety of beginnings, sometimes with the character waking up late a la Ash, with the character in a Pokémon-related school/school in general, or just actually being on time and getting a starter (echoing the games). For the first few towns that the trainer encounters, nothing out of the ordinary usually happens, and it's pretty much what you'd expect from an original trainer journey.

2. The main character will meet up with a bunch of other side characters who will be the token sidekicks. At least one of these may end up being the token love interest.
    2a. Exception: There are cases when the relationship is platonic, but yeah, Robin Hood will usually have a band of Merry Men.

3. Somewhere along the line, the main character might meet up with Team Evil, a generic evil organization bent on taking over/remaking the world. At first, these people will usually look like petty criminals at first but will eventually cook up a scheme that will involve using one or more legendaries for their own means.
    3a. There are exceptions to this rule; sometimes, Team Evil plays a minor part to a single evil entity, which could possibly be a Pokémon.

4. Crap typically happens, usually as a direct result of Team Evil. The main character is taken aside by an entity far older than it to be told that it's the Chosen One, destined to save the world from destruction or otherwise be involved with the crap that's going down. Chosen One is usually told there's a quest that needs to take place. The quest may involve the capturing/befriending of a legendary, the development of a magical power, the obtaining of a magical device/artifact, or all three at once.

5. World goes from bad to worse. Ragnarok happens. If the readers are lucky (?) and the author actually finishes the fanfiction (which doesn't happen that often), the Chosen One singlehandedly (i.e., with the help of his Pokémon team and whatever else he's picked up due to #4) defeats the evil and restores the balance of the world... leading one to wonder why it was so necessary for Robin Hood to have a band of Merry Men.

Anyone can feel free to correct the above.

Misheard Whisper

Years
    But if we're confused about a definition, these are the steps to creating a destiny fic:

1. Start off with an ordinary original trainer fic, complete with the trainer beginning a Pokémon journey. This will tend to have a variety of beginnings, sometimes with the character waking up late a la Ash, with the character in a Pokémon-related school/school in general, or just actually being on time and getting a starter (echoing the games). For the first few towns that the trainer encounters, nothing out of the ordinary usually happens, and it's pretty much what you'd expect from an original trainer journey.

2. The main character will meet up with a bunch of other side characters who will be the token sidekicks. At least one of these may end up being the token love interest.
    2a. Exception: There are cases when the relationship is platonic, but yeah, Robin Hood will usually have a band of Merry Men.

3. Somewhere along the line, the main character might meet up with Team Evil, a generic evil organization bent on taking over/remaking the world. At first, these people will usually look like petty criminals at first but will eventually cook up a scheme that will involve using one or more legendaries for their own means.
    3a. There are exceptions to this rule; sometimes, Team Evil plays a minor part to a single evil entity, which could possibly be a Pokémon.

4. Crap typically happens, usually as a direct result of Team Evil. The main character is taken aside by an entity far older than it to be told that it's the Chosen One, destined to save the world from destruction or otherwise be involved with the crap that's going down. Chosen One is usually told there's a quest that needs to take place. The quest may involve the capturing/befriending of a legendary, the development of a magical power, the obtaining of a magical device/artifact, or all three at once.

5. World goes from bad to worse. Ragnarok happens. If the readers are lucky (?) and the author actually finishes the fanfiction (which doesn't happen that often), the Chosen One singlehandedly (i.e., with the help of his Pokémon team and whatever else he's picked up due to #4) defeats the evil and restores the balance of the world... leading one to wonder why it was so necessary for Robin Hood to have a band of Merry Men.
    @_@ *goes off to rewrite outline of Shattered*

I'm kidding. That's pretty much it in the world's largest a nutshell. I'm still actually deciding whether legendaries are going to come into play in Shattered. I'm thinking not.

And Jax, the Merry Men are there so that Mary Sue has somebody to listen to her wangst.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    It depends on your plot, SD. If you plan to carry on in the same vein as Torn, then there is real cause for legendaries. If not, legendaries could be a clumsy addition.

Misheard Whisper

Years
    Actually, let me clarify. Torn is a 'what if' scenario. That is, if Tyson were to stay in Sunyshore, go through high school, bugger uni, and join the police force, Torn would have happened. But I can tell you safely that
    Spoiler:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    OK, then. :)

In that case, the plot you have in mind for the story should dictate whether or not there are legendaries. You're skilled enough to add them well, it's just a matter of whether your plot screams "legendaries would work well in here!" or not.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Valentine, thank you so much for completely ruining my reassuring delusions that the Chronicles wasn't "just another destiny fic." I'm going to go repeatedly smack my forehead against a wall now.

...Although there are absolutely no prophecies in that story. Dear Arceus, fanfiction is a complicated business.

Misheard Whisper

Years
    Swampoleongaurdian [sic]: "lol hi guys this is a story thread that im posting in writer's lounge!"
    Us: "'Kay. We're going to give you advice."
    Swampoleon: "wut u gais r meen!!11eleventy"
    Us: "Um... 'kay?"
    Swampoleon: "heres another idea thread!!!111"
    Us: "We're going to comment, assuming you're actually planning on writing this."
    Swampoleon: "lol jk gais heres another thread and another thread and another thread."
    Sparkling Dragon: "WTF."
    The rest of us: "Word."
    Swampoleon: "omg u gais r pestering me!!!1"
    Everyone and their mothers: "lols heres more idea threads!!111sixtytwo"
    Jax: "Uh, 'kay, so I saw all this going on in Writer's Lounge, and is anyone else getting annoyed?"
    liveitout: "I think idea threads are just there because people don't actually want to write. :)"
    Jax: "...Are you ****ing serious?"
    Remus Lupin: "Yes. That too."
    Harry Potter: "What?"
    Remus Lupin: "Oops. Too much information."
    The rest of the FFL: "We can't stop these people from posting threads, but it's totally a problem. Seriously."
    Jax: "You know what? How about I just work on a plot bunny thread?"
    Bay: "Oh, by the way, Serebii covers all kinds of topics in their WL, whereas we try to dump all these topics into the FFL. That might be the problem."
    The rest of the FFL: "lulz, Serebii."
    solvino: "Hey, guys. 'Sup?"
    Kanto Lover: "Plz beta my fic here's the prologue?"
    The rest of us: "WTF, mates?"
    Astinus: "Oh, by the way, did anyone else notice how stupid some of these guides are? By the way, I'm also proposing we redo a lot of crap in this forum."
    The rest of us: "...YAY REWRITES!"
    Swampoleon: U gaiz r meen! *gives up*
    Us: Finally.

Bay

Years
    Jax, hah you're right on the groupies thing. Just recently I reviewed one fic and told the writer the destiny part that was suddenly thrown in had me off guard. The two of us then argued a bit about this. -_- Later, his beta replied this:

And unlike Bay, I don't really have a problem with the whole "destined teenagers" thing. If they weren't "the chosen ones" or whatever, what would be the point of writing about them in a fic, right?
    *headdesk* Teenagers can be featured in a fic without them being chosen. Randy from "The Last Rocket" isn't a Chosen One. The sequel to that story, "The Delta House," will feature him also and he isn't going to be a Chosen One either.

Breezy, if you want, I can PM you the link of that destiny fic to read. The destiny part though doesn't come to play until Chapter 12. :P

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Valentine said:

[...]

Oh, wow. o.O So epic, btw. :P Er, your post. Kind of makes me think about my own story now, haha.

This might just be because I'm not interested in the genre (or whatever) itself, but what is the appeal behind these stories? Do the authors develop relateable characters or is the actual plot that makes things interesting? Or do all these authors that write destiny fics just stick together? X3

Bay said:
    Jax, hah you're right on the groupies thing. Just recently I reviewed one fic and told the writer the destiny part that was suddenly thrown in had me off guard. The two of us then argued a bit about this. -_-
    I think I know what you're talking about, and I read your review for it. ;P 'Course, I was kind lost as I didn't read it. I've been keeping my eye on that story, actually, because when it first came out, I was going to comment on how he stole was inspired by the Ru/Sa/Em introduction where the kid is in the moving truck, but eh. I don't know if this is just me, or because I always fangasm over Brendan, but I always hated when people stick their own smelly characters in Brendan's place. >=(

/end fangirling

I'll try it again, though, and look past that. Lol. Is it a good 'fic?

Edit:
    From story I think you're talking about said:
    One more thing in this rambled-on dedication - Hoenn League: A Brenden and May Adventure (by Breezy) really helped me get through some writer's block, so I'd like to dedicate this Fic to her as wel
    Now I'll feel bad if I don't like it. D:

AND HE SPELLED BRENDAN WRONG! ;-;

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    This might just be because I'm not interested in the genre (or whatever) itself, but what is the appeal behind these stories? Do the authors develop relateable characters or is the actual plot that makes things interesting? Or do all these authors that write destiny fics just stick together?
    Depends on the author. I like Terry Brooks, for instance, because he's a great visual writer and builds his characters fairly well, and is a fan of plot twists like myself. Contrast between what the reader thinks the prophecy/prophecies mean and what they actually mean is also fun if done well. Otherwise, I dunno. I'm just a sucker for adventure/fantasy, I guess.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back