• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
  • You can't teach imagination. But you can write a good story without any sense of imagination. Good writing skills cover that up, as discussed few days ago *cough*Harry Potter*cough* I was trying to talk about the skills of writing, such as diction, not the imagination that's also used in writing.

Actually, I think that you can teach *interpretation.* It's not part of imagination to remember where you've heard of a similiar sentence within the story, and then relating back to where you've heard of it in order to find the motif. Symbolism originates from human nature and human's history throughout the ages, and it's ingrained into everyone. It isn't imagination to realize that dark is usually bad, and the light is usually good. However, you need to be taught to have your eyes opened to see where you look for observations.

Silverblaze09 said:
    I haven't read beyond the first, uh, twelve of them. X.X;
    I did read your post... and this quote is more than enough to signify that you know exactly what's going on in the story so that Blue isn't an antagonist =/ Yellow showed up already, and Blue helped her quite a bit at the side line, behind the scene.

I didn't get the feeling of an arrogant Silver or Blue. Blue's cunningly daring and provocative/taunting, while Silver is just those type of people who will give the cold shoulder to anyone besides Blue.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    reduce wordiness problem by using "unenthusiastically"
    Ugh... still can't believe I have wordiness...

frostweaver said:
    -"anime makers?" Or you mean producers...
    That really didn't come to me until I read that... Stupid me. :\

frostweaver said:
    -Mariah is losing her depression in a surprisingly rapid rate, or at least the tone cheers up so quickly that it's scary. True that the tone is to lighten up at the anime convention, but from "zombie" to "giggle" is from one extreme to another O.o; "Smile," maybe...
    Three screw ups already in this revision?! I feel like giving up...

frostweaver said:
    -the conversation with the producer of Mimi and the Magical Mirrors seems rather rushed, almost random and abrupt. This conversation is suppose to play a key role within this chapter to shake Mariah out of her depression due to the unknown experience two weeks ago. What should have been a reflective and important moment seems to be nothing more than a long dialogue right now o.o; A strong, emotional and reflective scene like this deserves much more attention.
    I'm going to bring this up a few times to occasionally, so don't worry. Plus, Yamato-san said I needed hidden meanings, but then again, even he said that it was second rate. Oh, well. Better luck next time.

frostweaver said:
    -some verb tense problems, but Shuko already pointed them out.
    Oh, yes. The beloved verb tense problems that love me SO much...

frostweaver said:
    A quick lesson on sentence structure: the most important ideas should almost always come at the end of a sentence. The most important part of this sentence is that the water fails to extinguish the flame, yet the key verb isn't at the end. We can rework this sentence to read as "but for some reason, the fire continued to burn." or something along this line, for example. The "reason" isn't the most important part of the sentence, so we can flip it around to put it in the middle instead.
    Uh...okay.

frostweaver said:
    -I'll rather take out the line regarding how this "Torchic" feeds on negative emotions. It makes a mysterious moment suddenly cheesy. Part of a mystery is that we hardly know anything about it. Also, having Torchic "collapse" is quite a contradiction (or just unusually strange) to the supreme/dark character trait it seems to possess.
    Cheesiness? Bleh...

frostweaver said:
    -personally, I don't think that chapter 1 is too slow paced. In fact, it's still pretty rushed considering how much emotional conflict it deals with. Just because the physical plotline of "fight the bad guys" didn't start yet, it doesn't mean the conflict hasn't taken place.
    I'm still rushing this? Ugh... and I thought my pacing has improved too.

frostweaver said:
    -Be aware that you're going on a pretty difficult path with your story. Stories dealing with double conflict is insanely hard to write. It's not easy to keep both plot flowing smoothly at the same time. In fact, this balance is already losing itself. The depression is lifting off so quickly that it's almost as if this experience is losing itself from Mariah's mind already.
    Oh, man...
    Rest assured that the whole depression scenario will be brought up again.

frostweaver said:
    -good job on emphasizing the Kirby aspect of the Mirror World.
    Finally! Something I did right!

frostweaver said:
    -the concept of Pokemon Center in the mirror world is strange... The pink haired girl implies quite a bit that Pokemon Center is unnecessary in this world.
    Well, there IS one in Mirror Hoenn in case you ever run out of Maxim Berries for some reason.

frostweaver said:
    -Now there's a paragraph that's nothing but rhetorical questions... now these are good techniques to use, but when there's that many rhetorical questions at the same time, I'll doubt how effective they are. Either use a few, or use many that are short, precise, and similiar in sentence structure (to imply a sense of panic or being rushed).
    I was trying to get into Mariah's mind, but I can see as I messed that up too.

frostweaver said:
    -the Heart Star concept seems to have contradicted itself slightly. Brendan seems to be saying that Heart Stars are automatic rewards for completing these challenges. Mariah seems to be saying that you have the right to try to search for the Heart Stars after the challenges. Who are we suppose to believe?
    Never saw it like that...

frostweaver said:
    or just "How come it's broken?"
    Grammar problems too?! :confused:

frostweaver said:
    there has to be a way to reword this... -_-; Simply just insert a sentence about how this angel looks like Mariah exactly, then we can prevent this problem... so many dashes in a row is just terrible for the eye, unless we're purposely trying to head towards a certain tone.
    *sighs* All right.

frostweaver said:
    -now character reflections in this revision always seem to be rather bluntly stated. "She is selfish." These reflections are rather straight-forward, and quick too. Sometimes we don't have to say it out directly, as the tone, story structure or imagery can imply it. For example, by saying that everyone else is hurt besides her due to her refusal for her Treecko to battle, it's imply that Mariah is selfish already.
    This is what I get for skipping out on novels.

frostweaver said:
    -personally, I have a feeling that "angel" isn't the actual word that you want... but I'll have to read later to reconfirm this. "Angel" sounds strongly out of place, or Mirror Mariah isn't living up to her high praises by being classified as such a holy creature. Yes she has special powers and wings, but somehow it doesn't sound very fitting...
    So, if Mirror Mariah can't be an angel, then... *SPOILERS*
    Shadow Mariah (who appears at the end of the next chapter) can't be a devil? And Mirror Mariah's Mudkip evolves into an angel-version of a Marshtomp and then an Angel Swampert later in the story.

frostweaver said:
    -awfully strange how the word "mirror" just popped up to Mariah's mind into classifying this world as the mirror world, and calling the angel "mirror mariah."
    Well, I HAD to point out the fact that she's in Mirror Hoenn sooner or later.

frostweaver said:
    best to double check what you've typed... "know" is missing in this sentence
    Missing words... good grief...

frostweaver said:
    -very nice to see that not only did the protagonist's characterization improved, but the antagonist also improved in the same aspect. We actually hear what our evil villains are thinking about. It's always nice to see that our beloved enemies of darkness are more than "I'm the essence of evil muwhahaha I kill you! I kill you! I kill you!"
    Yes! Another high point!

frostweaver said:
    -comment: I've not so certain if the unpossessed Magma Magician should look like a fool to this degree. Although they aren't the main antagonist in this story (or so it seems), I'm not too persuaded to make them into clowns o.o;
    Well, looking back, I kinda see where you're coming from.

frostweaver said:
    -sadly, we see that Mariah has indeed, completely lost all of her trouble regarding whatever's troubling her back in Light Universe Hoenn =/ If it lived, it will be a great compliment to the story, not to mention a very ideal way to add to Mariah's character.
    Uh... Hoenn and Mirror Hoenn are both part of the Light Universe.
    So, Mariah should've still been troubled over... *SPOILERS*
    her mother's death?

frostweaver said:
    -title also improved in terms of precision, but the titles are still rather generic (ex: The Dark Torchic. There aren't too many fanfics that suite the title, but still it sounds very general and not the most fitting. When you're making a title, it doesn't have to be describing a physical aspect of the plot, or a direct quote. Consider other options.)
    Looks like I have a new weak point: Titles.

frostweaver said:
    -significant improvement for v.3 compare to 1 or 2. We finally have characteristic traits for our dear Mariah! (how glad)
    Yes! Good point #3!

frostweaver said:
    Good Points
    -character development
    -great improvement in pace of story
    -greatly enhanced battling scenes

Focuses to Improve On
    -the remaining grammar mistakes (although this aspect also improved from v.2)
    -coherence of story
    -death of secondary conflict (Mariah's mental conflict)
    Okay. At least I know what to improve on to get a better score.

frostweaver said:
    Title: 4/5
    Grammar/Coherence: 14/15
    Characterization: 16/20
    Story Structure: 11/15
    Tone/Atmosphere: 12/15
    Diction: 16/20
    Effort/Originality: 10/10
    Lit. Device bonus: +0

total: 83, Great Job!
    This was me when I first saw the score (sorry for the low quality)
    ichigoblush.jpg

This was me after I realized that it was an 83 and not a 63 as well as how much this version is so far putting the other two to utter shame
    doremi.png

Three times really IS a charm! *is disgustingly happy as she listens to the Butter Buildings theme*

pkrs241.gif
    Better get started rotting my mind with Xiaolin Showdown... *sulks because he lost the bet*

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Yes it's very obvious that it's her mother's death actually... no need to put it in white (oh wow let's see... Mariah is on the edge of crying, and the last word of the sentence is "mom!" Hmm... let's see what can this mean)

Personally, I'll rather flip the name of "Mirror world" after she arrives at Oldale. The Golden Gateway and the Mirror Wand will greatly reinforce the logic for the world "mirror" against this world.

There are more goodie creatures and baddie creatures than angels and demons ^^; Nor do baddies and goodies even have to be forced into a metaphor to be these creatures either.

Ok I failed on the Light Universe guess then. Afterall, possessed Pokemon are crossing the boundaries into "normal world," and the possessed magician did say he'll take over the Light Universe O.o; Thought that he's trying to access a way to cross the boundaries himself, instead of only his lackies. Meh, not a plothole though, since I am not suppose to know what the Light Universe is anyway, or at least, not yet.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    Yes it's very obvious that it's her mother's death actually... no need to put it in white (oh wow let's see... Mariah is on the edge of crying, and the last word of the sentence is "mom!" Hmm... let's see what can this mean)
    Oh... *feels stupid for making it too obvious*

frostweaver said:
    Personally, I'll rather flip the name of "Mirror world" after she arrives at Oldale. The Golden Gateway and the Mirror Wand will greatly reinforce the logic for the world "mirror" against this world.
    A great idea... too bad it didn't come to me at the time... :(

frostweaver said:
    There are more goodie creatures and baddie creatures than angels and demons ^^; Nor do baddies and goodies even have to be forced into a metaphor to be these creatures either.
    I suppose there is a better way of that...

frostweaver said:
    Ok I failed on the Light Universe guess then. Afterall, possessed Pokemon are crossing the boundaries into "normal world," and the possessed magician did say he'll take over the Light Universe O.o; Thought that he's trying to access a way to cross the boundaries himself, instead of only his lackies. Meh, not a plothole though, since I am not suppose to know what the Light Universe is anyway, or at least, not yet.
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/lil_ida/20555.html
    If you don't mind spoilers, check that out.
    Yes, I keep HMW info in my LiveJournal.

pkrs241.gif
    Uh, this might sound like a stupid question, but in case Ida/Asunya's fic get fic of the week...
    Does anyone have some spare Shen Gong Wu that I could borrow? Please? Any one would do...

Meowth, come on. It won't be THAT bad!

pkrs241.gif
    Not for you! You won't be in a Xiaolin Showdown with the mod who nominates it! *is really ticked off* And why would you want to do something like that anyway?!

Uh...for a laugh? :nervous:

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    Wow, I missed a lot. *skims last ten or so pages briefly*

Anyway, I updated my story. Click my sig.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    Nekomajo Asunya said:
    I'm going to bring this up a few times to occasionally, so don't worry. Plus, Yamato-san said I needed hidden meanings, but then again, even he said that it was second rate. Oh, well. Better luck next time.

Let me repeat what I said in that AIM conversation. By hidden meanings, I was referring to the kind that seems to be told by the story as a whole, or perhaps even what was being told in a single chapter. You know, the moral to the story, only, like, hidden through deep symbolics and drama and whatnot, stuff that really makes you think about it, rather than just said right out in the open like some moronic after-school special (doing the complete opposite of that is what makes so many Japanese plotlines so great ^^). I didn't really have in mind seemingly stand-alone scenes that seem like they'd be ommitable from the story without screwing anything up (though, I guess they can have their meanings too). Also, you seemed to mix up "portraying a message" and "retelling a personal experience". This scene so blatantly relates to what you went through with the previous versions it ain't funny, and it seems to be more of an inside reference than anything. This is why I found it to be so.... second-rate seems to be an overstatement of what I felt, actually. If I didn't tell you these things, I can bet anything you would've continued going through the storyline leaving the main plot as pointless as ever and think you'll do fine so long as you have a few irrelevant, but symbolic, scenes here or there that you think are making up for it.

Last edited:

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • Yamato-san said:
    By hidden meanings, I was referring to the kind that seems to be told by the story as a whole, or perhaps even what was being told in a single chapter. You know, the moral to the story, only, like, hidden through deep symbolics and drama and whatnot, stuff that really makes you think about it, rather than just said right out in the open like some moronic after-school special (doing the complete opposite of that is what makes so many Japanese plotlines so great ^^). I didn't really have in mind seemingly stand-alone scenes that seem like they'd be ommitable from the story without screwing anything up (though, I guess they can have their meanings too).
    Story morals: another weakness of mine... :\

Yamato-san said:
    Also, you seemed to mix up "portraying a message" and "retelling a personal experience". This scene so blatantly relates to what you went through with the previous versions it ain't funny, and it seems to be more of an inside reference than anything. This is why I found it to be so.... second-rate seems to be an overstatement of what I felt, actually. If I didn't tell you these things, I can bet anything you would've continued going through the storyline leaving the main plot as pointless as ever and think you'll do fine so long as you have a few irrelevant, but symbolic, scenes here or there that you think are making up for it.
    I will admit that it was a rather desperate attempt to make up for at least one of the weakness HMW had.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Ah, we got time today for more reviews

@ Pokemon Origins- Johto Saga, Raikourider243

-title... shiver... goosebumps... I'm pretty sure that I can apply this title to almost any 2nd generation fanfics =(

the world had not seen war for hundreds of years
    "been at war"

But all of this happiness needed a source.
    This isn't a complete sentence. You have a conjunction, so what is this phrase linking to? If this is done purposely for emphasis, I'll rather put this as a paragraph as well. Right now, it's not really standing out if this is done to emphasize this fact.

-sudden introduction of "horse" is awkward... perhaps Pokemon is a much more suitable word there. Introducing real Pokemon to the Pokemon World is slightly awkward.

The fires raged for three days and three nights, causing the tower to collapse into the ground. After the three days and three nights,
    really wordy here... you already said that the fire raged for three days and three nights, so why repeat it again? A "however" or "suddenly" or any word along that line can replace the unnecessary repetition here.

-Lugia's mentioning sounds almost out of place if it isn't for someone who played the games before. The origin of the two towers in Ecruteak is confusing enough with the manga, the game and the anime all saying different versions of the same setting. Your story starts another version (which would have been fine.) However, Lugia isn't even mentioned in the beginning, when the world is at peace. Suddenly, Lugia's home is struck down. It doesn't feel very relevant to the topic at hand, since we're talking about Ho-oh and the 3 legendary beasts all the way through.

It's like saying "Oh and then our great leader bought peace to our country, along with great economic growth! And... OH MY GOODNESS this random hobo's house got burnt down!"

-subjective comment: After the first line break in the first chapter, I'll just quit reading right there. It's just as plain as day that "Oh the world is to be in peril. The world is in need of the Legendary Beast Riders once more. There are 3 fanatics who just happen to idolize Suicune, Raikou and Entei. 1+1=2." I think that I just got half of the story right there... When something like this happens, personally there's no more incentive to read on forward.

he thought would get him a Ph. D.
    I have no idea what happened to the verb tenses there... we got all 3 tense at the same time o.o;

doing nothing but testing mankind by letting certain individuals get close.
    if this is a quoting out of extensive researches, then the tone should be a lot more professional. The rest of that dialogue is fine, but this sentence doesn't fit in.

-the retelling of the legend of the two towers is certainly tedious and repetitive. We just heard the identical story from the prologue. The Great Pokemon War suffers the same problem. Because of this problem, the entire chapter 1 is completely useless besides character introduction, which isn't much of anything. (and Chapter 2 is simply reinforcing what is being hinted in chapter 1, making Chapter 2 also useless besides hearing the somewhat-detailed plans of the incoming invasion, which we also know about)

-perhaps a loophole in the story. The 'rebels' are boxed in on the east of Johto, but the war is between the Ecruteak area and the Goldenrod area. So the rebels have to be forced out of their city (whichever that is) in order to be boxed within Eastern Johto... doesn't make much sense to me, unless Goldenrod/Ecruteak is treated as "Eastern Johto."

-again, funny things are happening. The 3 warriors are able to end the great war and defeating both armies, yet they failed to defeat the remnants of the defeated army. Logic doesn't seem to be working too well here... On top of that, how do you have a skirmish with an army inside a tower? Hide behind different windows to ambush the guy in the hallway? O.o; Maybe you're thinking of "ambush"... then this will make more sense.

-comment: why not link to bluelaguna where they got the mp3 version, and not crappy crappy midis...

-Legendary Hunters are also a bit cheesy... the organization existed for many centuries, and pretty much did nothing. However, the last 20 years it suddenly woke up from its "nap" and started planning for mass invasions. For an "evil organization" that existed for centuries but did absolutely nothing to suddenly act now... just really confuses me.

-the fact that the 4 Teams of Cipher, Magma, Aqua and Rocket originate from this syndicate is pretty important, seeing how these organizations play an important role in the Pokemon world as the "bad guys." However, this is just explained with one line in the story. Isn't this terribly rushed for such an important fact?

-OOC for Maxie and Archie to exist in the same room, to "calmly" talk over a matter together...

-always avoid listing details. It puts an abrupt stop in the plot, and it'll surely bore your readers. Always mix in these details along with some action so the story doesn't seem to come to a complete halt. As well, you should consider distributing the details, instead of listing everything out immediately, at the same time. It's really boring to read a whole paragraph of "These are the Pokemo _____ has: first it is Pikachu, a yellow mouse Pokemon that can use electric attacks. Next is a Squirtle, a water type who can hide in its shells to..." You get the point.

-details are generally missing. Plot rushes by, and the story is clogged with dialogues... I'm pretty sure that 90% of all paragraphs, with the exception of the historical scenes, begin with a dialogue. Slow down the pace with some descriptions of what is going on, as well as character description. Right now, we know nothing about these characters besides that they're obsessed with the Beast that they're certain to capture in the future, and that they're Pokemon history-fanatics. Characters like this are rather limited and uninteresting...

-watch out if you're being clear regarding pronouns... for example: "this is..." this what? what's "this?" This fanfic commits this error once in awhile.

-ok, the dreams... same problem. They're really rushed. They lack any form of content except that they meet their respective Legendary Beast in the dream.

This fanfic is rather general. It doesn't have a specific good point, but it doesn't suffer a specific weakness either. This fanfic needs a general overall improvement in terms of descriptions and details. Everything so far is very focused on plot along with the background history, and nothing else. We don't know much about the setting, the protagonist, the antagonist or any reasons to why all of this is happening.

I'll suggest you to focus on adding in physical descriptions first, then we'll work on emotional development. We'll cast out tone, diction and theme to the side for now. By adding in descriptions, the pace should slow down a bit by itself.

Title: 2/5
    Grammar/Coherence: 13/15
    Characterization: 7/20
    Story Structure: 6/15
    Tone/Atmosphere: 5/15
    Diction: 10/20
    Effort/Originality: 7/10
    Lit. Device bonus: +0

total: 50

Feel free to debate against me if you think that this mark is an unfair call. As long as you can support your own marks, you can always ask for mark refunds.

EDIT: As for HMW, well it's very obvious that the author is writing about herself in the scene Mariah is talking with the anime producer. However, that's rather subjective, as it's entirely possible if someone else is going through the same experience. It's rather that it's not provoking any form of thinking, even though that's what it is trying to do. Even Mariah herself isn't doing much thinking because of this chat either, as shown by the narration.

As for story "morals," I won't call it morals. Morals only come from parables and so on... Stories have themes, which aren't necessary a teaching regarding what to do and what not to do. Sometimes, a theme is only a reflective line about human nature and the society. Not necessarily does it have to teach anyone about anything. A theme can always insult the society that it is corrupt to the core, yet offers no solution to the problem (unlike that of a moral.) Personally, I shrug at this part of writing. Yes it's one of the most important elements of writing, but this is something even professional writers suffer at.

This is what makes an author famous or not ^^ Arthur Miller (my favorite playwright)'s Death of a Salesman has the worst physical plotline ever. It's the deep symbolism and the powerful themes that make this play such an enjoyable read. The characters are very descriptive, but the description is always hidden besides physical description in the stage direction. If even professional authors are suffering over this problem, I won't expect it out of fanfic writers. Rather, theme counts as one of the possible bonus marks for me.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    sweet, I'm gonna score me some bonus points later on ^^. And yeah, morals, themes, I may not have had the right words coming to mind, but I meant the same basic thing. Still, are you sure story-writers always have problems with that? Pretty much everything I see nowadays has some kind of theme behind it.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • @ Ionem, Ionem

-as mentioned before, the introduction part is rather pointless... I'm going to ignore that entire section, and go right into the prologue. It's good to have planning, but planning is best to be left in the private places. It's about how you present the story that matters, so it's pointless and difficult for viewers to give comments on your story based on the planning.

-personally, I'll rather stick with either Pok?mon or Pocket Monster, and not to use both at the same time. It's like calling a dog both "dog" and "Canis familiaris" all at once.

-Amethyst should be capitalized, seeing how it sounds like a place. Doesn't make sense for them to drive out of purple o.o;

But I don't think I've ever once ben mentioned
    Be sure to double check your work. "Ben" should be "been." Yes, the spelling mistakes that escape the spell check are always sneaky.

-regarding Billy's comments on the "choppy sentences," I actually liked that choice. It fits Rosemary's anger and frustration. Not all the times can a woman who's buring in rage talk perfectly, using a variant of different sentence structure. Have to love the ironic "I... I... I..." in that speech =D

-Regarding Act's comments in there with the word usage, again I actually liked that choice. It's great foreshadowing. It *begins* with everything taken for granted, with all the "always." When the story reads to "She was always smiling," it's definite that Jake's mother is a goner. It's a strange sentence that doesn't seem to be saying anything. That whole section with the "always" suggest that life so far is a routine, and this buildup leads to the obvious conclusion that the routine is about to collapse. It got too much hot air. In my opinion, I loved the "always." It adds a lot of hidden depth to Jake's ignorance and innocense as a child.

-I'll be hesistant about Jake's glasses being clear... it's not descriptive for him. If anything, his glasses should be the opposite. He fail to see or recognize who he is and what he is doing. The perfectly clear glasses do not suit him. It doesn't work as an irony either, as the story tells us that he got fired. If Jake isn't fired and actually has an opportunity to succeed, yet he refuses on it due to his own choice, then the glasses will work as an irony. Right now as it stands, the clear glasses have to go.

-I won't use the word "hiss" on Kayleigh. Saying that someone is hissing is actually a metaphor. It's implying that the person is like a snake, and in this case, it is very inappropriate to call Kayleigh a snake. If you want to be an english teacher, then certainly you're well aware of the horror you're creating right here.

-the man who's staring in the restaurant is working against you deep in the symbolic level. Lloyd's feels "like a family." Kayleigh, a loving friend, is also present in this scene. This scene at Lloyd's is meant to be of a loving environment. It represents the "good side" while the Rockets later in the story represents the opposite. If this restaurant is symbolizing what is good in Jake's life, then this man's glare is doing the opposite. The "family" is forcing him to become what is bad. Jake's mother, being a loving Pokemon doctor, will certainly not want him to become a part of Team Rocket, even though she's the definite reason why Jake will choose this path. Kayleigh also pleads with him to find a steady job- what a good person should do. The good side is trying to bring the lost Jake to be with them, not to put accusations against him, forcing him out. The symbol for the glaring man is acting against everything else in the restaurant. I'll rather change this scene so that no one is actually staring at him, even though Jake is making a fool of himself. This change will further reinforce how loving the "good side" is.

-there is a problem regarding the Miltank burger and the streetlight symbol... According to the planning sheet, Jake is to join Team Rocket eventually, and it's very likely that the card from the mysterious man is related to a request for Jake's service. This man (who I will suspect as someone related to Team Rocket) comments that "You don't seem to be the kind of man to eat miltank." Eating Miltank is treated as a bad thing to do, as told by Kayleigh. If this Rocket member (who is a bad guy) is to try to bring Jake to become a part of Team Rocket, then he is trying to corrupt Jake. However, he is taking away the burger from Jake, stopping Jake from doing what is "bad." If this man is really related to Team Rocket, then the whole Miltank burger collapses upon you, creating a huge chaos for your story. The artificial light (imply: FAKE) that the mysterious man walks into implies that this man is actually evil. So... only one of the two symbols can live. If the man is a Rocket, then the light symbol fails. If the man isn't a Rocket, then the burger fails...

-so far, it seems to be too early to predict rather the title is fitting for the story or not. Although it is evident that this title is especially made for this fanfic, it is unclear if it suits the fanfic or not. Thus, the title category will be omitted.

-I found no other mistake. Usually I won't bother looking at symbolic and thematic problems unless I really got nothing to comment on...

Good Points
    -powerful, realistic and descriptive dialogues
    -setting (best setting I've seen for any Pokemon fanfic)
    -character description

Focuses to Improve On
    -Conflicting symbolism

Title: omit/5
    Grammar/Coherence: 14/15
    Characterization: 20/20
    Story Structure: 14/15
    Tone/Atmosphere: 15/15
    Diction: 19/20
    Effort/Originality: 10/10
    Lit. Device bonus: +7 (theme +2, foil, irony +2, setting +2, foreshadow, symbols +1)

total: 99/95 => 99.9/100 {impossibility at perfection}

What to say about this except that it is almost flawless...

<Standard of Excellence>

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    Holy cow,Forstweaver. Thank you! Thank you! :D

I love it.

Awesome feedback on symbols and stuff in the story. Not the usual kind of feedback one expects. Thanks. :D

Everything you say is good and I've got no comments on (except thanks for the advice) until the restaraunt stuff. Then I want to reply. ;)

The symbol for the glaring man is acting against everything else in the restaurant.

That was sort of my point, though. He's supposed to stand out. He catches Jake's eye, hence his significance later in the chapter and in fact as the story progresses (at the risk of a possible spoiler, but not a really big one, this guy's Wendler Young, who's mentioned in my rather controversial character sheet).

You do make good points about that. If I was serious more about doing any more with this story, I'd definitely go back and work on it (feedback to me on this story now is the kind that I plan to keep in mind as the story goes on and my writing career continues. Don't think that because I won't revise that I don't take your advice into consideration).

Now, as for the conflicting symbols of the burger and the light...you've got a point there, but perhaps that they reflect something deeper in this rocket's character.

Of course I admit that not necessarily all those symbols you found were intentional (leads me to think that most of the stuff that we pull out of books in school wasn't even intentionallly put in by the authors, but subconsciously...cool) but they did all make sense.

However, if you're willing to hear a bit of a spoiler (not incredible, though, as the story goes on it's more of just a character thing than a BAM!), I'll explain a bit further. Wendler's character is both good and bad. As part of team rocket, he does lots of bad things. But we cannot forget that people often do bad things for good reasons. Wendler's a good guy doing the wrong thing, with some bad morals and some good ones. In fact, he's probably even going to be more conflicted than Jake. @_@

But here I go again, writing my characters and spoiling my story. Sorry. :'(

And to tell the truth, I didn't think much about him actually taking the burger from Jake, but rather that he'd have it himself. I wasn't trying to show evil with it, but more a bit of ruthlessness (which is a trait in Wendler that will play a vital role later on).

Erm...I guess that's it. Again, thank you. A lot! Glad to be on your award list. ;)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • True that you've succeeded in catching the reader's attention about this man, but he's showing up in the wrong place, unless you're also implying that evil exist in a purely good society/"family." He can show up perfectly fine in the parking lot and continue to do the same thing.

If this Rocket is also living what is actually an illusion, then the streetlight symbol is perfect. However, this doesn't excuse the Miltank burger. This Rocket thinks that he's leading Jake to a better life, but in practice, he isn't. Therefore, it maybe better for this Rocket to advise Jake to eat the burger, but for a "good reason," or is telling him to eat it in "friendly terms." (quick sample: "eat it while it's still fresh"-type of sentence. He's telling him to do what is evil out of a rather harmless reason. However, the flaw with this 1-minute thinking is that one can also interpret this Rocket to be cunning and is full of lies.)

Regarding symbols and authors, this forum will have to bear with me and my classical example of Old Man and the Sea again ^o^ Ernest Hemmingway is awarded with great fame and honor because of this book. Critics continue to find all kinds of deep meaning in this book. The most popular interpretation is that Hemmingway is writing about himself, and is criticizing story reviews and publishers to be like the shark in the story. Authors spend many days and much of their effort, similiar to the old fisherman, to try to make a simple living. However, the critics come and destroy what they've worked so hard on, just like how the shark ate the entire fish that the old fisherman has finally fished up. When the reviewers are talking to Hemmingway about this, Hemmingway gave a response that is paraphrased to be "What the heck are you talking about? This is a simple fishing story. All there is to the book is a short tragic tale about fishing."

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • []When the reviewers are talking to Hemmingway about this, Hemmingway gave a response that is paraphrased to be "What the heck are you talking about? This is a simple fishing story. All there is to the book is a short tragic tale about fishing."[]

Ha, I gotta add this dude to my mental list of favorite people.

RaikouRider243

Lightning Swordsman
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 18, 2009
    ...Wow. You're the first person to review my work that has lashed out against it so much. But considering that's my first fic, I guess 50 points isn't too bad. The people that liked my first fic liked my second even more. However, since you didn't like my first fic...you'll probably hate my second. It's...well...have a look at it and find out for yourself. But don't "review" until I post the whole thing. Just tell me what ya think, K?

EDIT: Frosty, did you review the entire fic or just up to a certain chapter? If so, how far did you get up to?

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • LilyPichu said:
    I was (heavily) revising my one shots when I realized; some of frosty's reviews clash with another. ;-; So I got confused. Is it better to mix them together or something? And if it's insignificant, does it matter to change it?

That's mainly because my own skills improve over time, and my own understanding about reading also changes. What is once accepted may no longer be viewed as acceptable. (Yes, it does mean that the scales get tougher and tougher by nature because fortunately, I learn bits by bits. The more I read, the more picky I get ^^)

For example, it's only this summer I realized from summer school that alliteration is actually a useless technique. It makes everything childish, tongue-twisted and annoying if the alliteration lasts for longer than 2 words. O_o; It's actually a "children technique" ._.;

More recent the review, the more accurate and helpful it is.

Then again, sometimes it depends on context of your story... sometimes it's better to use "said" while most of the time, it's not.

EDIT: I read up to the end of chapter 2. I usually read from the beginning and keep going, stopping at the end of a chapter when I got enough stuff to write. The better the quality of your fanfic, the more you're forcing me to read ;p I always ignore those request about reading up to a certain point. I do as I see fit on that matter. Why should I go on when there's already so much stuff to focus on.

However, I do follow the request that are like "just skim through chapter 4 to 9 for basic plot, and start reviewing in detail at 10 and beyond." Feel free to tell me where to start viewing, but never tell me where to stop reviewing.

RaikouRider243

Lightning Swordsman
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 18, 2009
    Wow, maybe I didn't do bad after all. You reviewed the most boring part of my fic. You can probably skim chapter 3 and start seriously reading around chapter 4.

EDIT: Chapter 8 also isn't that important plot-wise. You can just skim that one too. The most important chaps are 4, 5, 7, 9, and 10. 11's more of an aftermath chapter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back