• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
  • Welcome back Phantom Mew to the fanfic lounge =p If you want, you can always send in a fanfic review to me ;p

@ Paint Me a Picture, LilyPichu

Title- 5/5
    5 Title is symbolic, highly relevant and unique to the story
    4 Title is relevant to and descriptive about the story
    3 Title is descriptive, but is not precise in terms of descriptiveness, or is clich?
    2 Title is general, and applicable to most stories
    1 Title is irrelevant, and applicable to all stories

-title is certainly unique to this story only

-title is symbolic, with the motif included as part of the title

Narrative Manner- 4/5
    5 Narrative manner is excellent, and adds strength and/or hidden meaning to the story
    4 Narrative manner is good, and adds some emphasize to the story
    3 Narrative manner is decent, and is suitable to the story
    2 Narrative manner is acceptable but not precise, or format is incorrect
    1 Narrative manner is poor, and weakens the story

-this one is rather hard to decide. Right now it's a 3rd person omniscient. What it succeeds in achieving is that readers know what the old painter is thinking about, and those short lines are one of the only four details we will ever get about the story setting.

-On the other hand, if 1st person narrative is used with Ash's point of view, then the story can be further enhanced in terms of its emotional state. The pain and the gladness of Ash will be viewed on a personal level instead. Either way, it has its pros and cons.

Grammar/Coherence- 8/10
    10 Grammar mistakes are inexistent, and coherence exists throughout the entire story
    8-9 Grammar mistakes are rare, and coherence exists throughout the entire story
    6-7 Grammar mistakes are uncommon, but story occasionally suffers loopholes in plot
    5 Grammar mistakes are common, and story occasionally suffers loopholes in plot
    1-4 Grammar mistakes are common, and story suffers loopholes in plot

the picture was seen quite distinctively
    You probably want to use "a" instead of "the" here.

Ash observed the elder gently set down his dripping paintbrush by his side
    2 verbs in one sentence? I think we know what's the problem here.

-I don't think rubble can be plural. It already suggests that as part of its definition.

Major Character(s)- 13/15
    14-15 Major characters are very multi-faceted. All details are highly precise and relevant
    12-13 Major characters are multi-faceted. Most details are highly precise and relevant
    11-12 Major characters are multi-faceted but limited. Details are precise and relevant
    9-10 Major characters are slightly stereotypical. Details are precise but not very relevant
    7-8 Major characters are generally stereotypical. Details are present but need precision.
    5-6 Major characters are stereotypical. Details are present but limited in amount.
    1-4 Major characters have no personality traits, and no details are paid to characters.

-don't think this fanfic has enough length to make any characters multi-faceted, so let's ignore that part of the criteria

-great hidden character descriptions! Though the story hardly tells us much of anything about Ash directly (only a mysterious rage and anger against Pokemon), we actually know quite a bit about him in the denouement. We know exactly how he feels from the hesitative diction. The fact that he added himself and Pikachu after his initial thought of just painting his mother is quite informative. Again, Ash finding his own house within the painting for the setting of his drawing is symbolic once more about his character and his outlook on his future.

-although we know a lot about his past, his views and thoughts, we don't know enough about Ash regarding his current state. If we know for certain where he lives (which is very important for this story,) then there's a lot more to this character than now.

-the only other comment I have for improvement is how he described his mother and his 10 year old self to the old painter. It'll be even more powerful if Ash gave the old painter an old photograph on top of the memories.

Minor Character(s)- 4/5
    5 Minor characters are necessary and relevant, contributing to the story in multiple ways
    4 Minor characters are interesting and relevant, contributing to the story
    3 Minor characters are interesting, but are limited in contribution to the story
    2 Minor characters are irrelevant, and are limited in contribution to the story
    1 Minor characters are completely irrelevant, and are completely unnecessary to the story

-the old painter is the only other character in this fanfic. He contributes to setting more than the details about the rubble. In a way, one can argue that he is the foil to Ash though, but I doubt that there's enough details to do that unless Ash continues to live in Pallet Town ruins and doesn't have a job. But either way, the old painter contributes greatly to theme and setting, but could have done better to contribute to character (Ash.)

Story Details- 9/10
    9-10 Details are relevant, contributing to at least four out of the five story components
    7-8 Details are sometimes relevant, contributing to most story components
    5-6 Details are lacking, not necessarily relevant and verisimilitude is endangered
    3-4 Details are severely lacking, and verisimilitude is damaged
    1-2 Details are almost inexistent, and verisimilitude is severely damaged

-verisimilitude is hardly a problem

-many details seem to be specifically chosen in order to point towards the common theme and Ash's dream. They are highly revealing and are relevant for the story.

-the only other missing detail is probably the sky. Most aspects of the painting is contrasted by parts of the setting, yet the sky and the sunlight are left out. We see the foil between the houses and the rebels, and the wild woods and the green plants. However, the sky and the sunlight got no such comparison. This is probably the only missing detail for the setting.

Conflict- 5/5
    5 ?Man vs. Self? is present, with other conflicts, ?good and evil? cannot be divided
    4 Many conflicts are present to enhance the plot, ?good and evil? are questionable
    3 ?Man vs. Man? along other conflicts, good and evil are obvious
    2 ?Man vs. Man? only, good and evil are obvious
    1 ?Man vs. Man? only, ending is highly predictable

-"man vs self" conflict. It's hard to judge if Ash is doing the right thing or not. Though we know that Ash is not going on a good path by refusing to face reality, we can't help but be sympathic to him. This sympathy makes it difficult to judge rather Ash is a innocent or pathetic person.

Diction/Tone- 14/15
    14-15 Diction greatly contributes to story components. Tone is very relevant and suitable
    12-13 Diction contributes to story components. Tone is suitable but not always relevant
    10-11 Diction and tone are suitable but not always relevant
    8-9 Diction and tone are sometimes suitable but always relevant
    6-7 Diction and tone are sometimes inappropriate and are not relevant
    1-5 Diction and tone are inappropriate and are not considered by the author

-excellent choice of colors to describe the painting. The dreamy picture succeeds in creating a sharp contrast with the reality that Ash lives in today. "watery" and "splay" are by far the most moving words within that paragraph.

-almost all the time there's something to be discovered by the awkward choice of words.

-all words suggest either of two tones, and the two tones are the two different setting. One is cruel yet real, while the other one is pleasant and dreamy. Tone is well portraited in this story.

-the only word that I failed to interpret is this one:
    C-Can you draw me a girl? Like, an older woman,
    I don't understand why Ash will first address his mother as a girl. Even when Ash is young, his mother never appears as a "girl" figure. I don't see any reason to use "girl" here.

Story Structure- 15/15
    14-15 Story structure is carefully planned and greatly contributes to all story components
    12-13 Story structure is planned and contributes to most story components
    10-11 Story structure is planned and contributes to some story components
    8-9 Story structure is slightly weak and sometimes contributes to some story components
    6-7 Story structure is weak and rarely contributes to story components
    4-5 Story structure is weak and endangers the story components
    1-3 Story structure is fragile and damages the story components

-good exposition makes the story interesting and eyecatching for the readers to read on forward

-most sentences succeed in putting the most important ideas at the end of the sentence, emphasizing these important ideas

-all parts of the story are structured purposely to point towards the common theme. Story structure is a great success in contributing to all 5 story components.

Effort- 8/10
    9-10 A great amount of effort is shown. Author?s re-read and editing are apparent.
    7-8 A good amount of effort is shown. Further double checking maybe necessary.
    5-6 A good amount of effort is shown. Double checking and spell checking are necessary.
    1-4 A limited amount of effort is shown. Please use spell check and other helpful devices.

-some of the grammar mistakes should be very easy to find out. For a skilled writer who has been writing for awhile already, 3 grammar mistakes for this short piece may suggest that you should reread once more before posting.

Literal Device Bonus- + 5/15 (Foreshadowing /1, Contradictive Style /1, Foil /1, Dramatic Irony /2, Situational Irony /2, Allusion /2, Motif/Symbols 3/3, Theme 2/3)

Total: 95/100 {Standard of Excellence}
    -replaces "A Light Kiss" in the standard of excellence board

Another excellent and meaningful Pokemon short story by Lily. Personally, this is probably my favorite fanfic from you.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • *pokes* Then you definatly should review "Hooves of Flame", Frosty! *grumbles* I'm not allowed to PM. Mom's orders, so... *smiles with puppy eyes*

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
  • Semi-on topic, I think that my favorite character to write is Accemenla the tarsix, simply because it's fun to come up with her dialogue. I love her character, and I can't wait until I get done with the next couple of chapters of my 'fic so that I can get to the parts that feature her more.

Aw, I really like Jinx. She's too snotty for me sometimes, though she's an interesting character. I like Jinx's attitude and how he tries his best to be impartial to everything.

::shrug::

My fave character of mine from my fics posted are probably the Feebas or Carsu. From personal fics... a kid named Cole. He's an interesting one.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Aw, I really like Jinx. She's too snotty for me sometimes, though she's an interesting character. I like Jinx's attitude and how he tries his best to be impartial to everything.

Oh, I really like Jinx, too. His character is a heck of a lot harder to write, though, because his logic and morals are so twisted. I think I like Accemenla better because I understand her motivations and know what will happen to her eventually.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • Just wondering: do you give the canon characters (Ash and the gang, etc) some traits from other characters (because they remind you of them) as well as their traits from the anime/games/manga?

Recently, I was thinking of basing May of her personality from the anime as well as a little of Sakura's (from Card Captor Sakura/CardCaptors). I could say that same for Pike Queen Lucy (who will be appearing in Hoenn a la Mode) with Zakuro from Tokyo Mew Mew.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Traits usually are fine because traits are universal. I'm very sure that someone in the real world is just as if not denser than Ash. However, "special traits" that are unique to one person (ex: pulling on pervert's ears away from pretty girls) can't really get carried across. Hopefully you can distinguish the difference.

If you're adding on to the traits of existing canonic characters, be sure that the change is reasonable, or is explained. If Brock suddenly loses interest in Joy/Jenny, there better be a good reason for it.

Some characters appear in more than one Pokemon media, and their traits cannot possibly mix. Sapphire and Haruka are technically the same characters, yet their traits cannot possibly coexist at all. At situation like this, you'll just have to choose one and abandon the other. (however, this problem shouldn't exist for Pokemon because the game got no personality trait to copy from, while the anime and the game uses different names for the same people. Just use the corresponding name and people will recognize if you're basing characters off the anime or the manga.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Frosty...are you going to address my reply to your review? o.o; Or was there nothing you wanted to reply to? XD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Iveechan said:
    I don't find one-shots hard to write. Now, making an epic that doesn't fail, THAT takes dedication.

It takes dedication, but not skill. For us, long stories often seem to be harder than short stories because we don't have the time to stay focused to write. However, of course it's a totally different story when the money for next month's rent all depends on your long story. You *will* have the dedication to finish with those circumstances =P

Well Katsuro, what's there to reply to within your reply? o.o; That reply of yours is a lengthy version of "This isn't my true colors. Just watch me." What's there to say about it except "ok?"

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • It takes skill to write any story. I just find epics harder because atleast with a one-shot, you finish and are relieved and happy, but with an epic you go "Oh crap, I still have a ways to go".

TheOnly

The Random Repper....
    Years
  • how many would like a novel with other world powers and un controlable rage?
    I am busy making one now and a harry potter one. peace.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
  • If anyone is interested, I've got a new short story up called 'Brother My Brother'. I know there's a song with the same name, but it's not a songfic.

It's about two abandoned eevees (yus, those overused pokemon again), one of whom is strong and protective of his weaker brother, but hates humans with a passion and thinks his brother should too. Not so much on the trials of being abandoned, more on the 'humans bad/humans good' thing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Well...I got an OK out of you :P

Frosty...when are you on MSN? ;-; I have a story I want to send to you in private~

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Katsuro said:
    Frosty...when are you on MSN? ;-;

*laughs* Same thing I've been reiterating for the past days.

I bet it's a rhetorical question to you, frosty, isn't it? Hmm? >>;

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    Act's Konnichiwa has good battle scenes, but they aren't the reason why I value this fanfic. They're just battles between the every day common Pokemon, using rather simple attacks in general, such as Tackle. What's good about these "common battles" is that underneath all of the battle dialogues (which are typically not viewed as the good part of a good Pokemon battle, as most people will look at the narration of the action, awaiting to see the outcome of the battle), Act uses her battles as a parody against typical fanfics that focus on superior or "cool" Pokemon. This trait is most obviously shown when the protagonist view Zigzagoon as the absolute obstacle to the road of success, and even fears it in battle. Obviously, this is a hidden mockery to all those common "I fear my rival's <insert name of the fully evolved form of one of the nine starters.>"

Judging from that, I'm guessing battles against fully evolved Pokemon is an overdone plot. However, toward the end, the trainer and his/her Pokemon have to grow together, don't they? I mean, sure, you can't have a low level Torchic against a level 85 Tyranitar right off the bat, but sooner or later, the trainer needs a challenge to improve his/her skills.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • It's not about evolved or not. It's about the ability to make the everyday life to be as interesting as the legendary spamming fanfics. And also, remember that in the RL-style battles, evolution does not gurantee strength. Pikachu can beat Rhydons, while the fragile Charizard with a defense stat of barely 200 can endure hyper beams beyond counting. You can grow without evolving or learning attacks to cover your type disadvantage.

As for MSN... I had a terrible feeling of a great impending doom last night, on top of overload amount of reading work beyond my capability (I'm a week behind in homework now... 7 chapters to read tonight along with 200 questions, hurray). Then again, God's prophecy of impending doom is indeed fulfilled today (along with the insane thunderstorm outside with terrible downpour just to spice up everything. Obviously, God invented drama and situational irony.), so what fun... Let's see if I'll break down and cry again this year. Now would be an excellent time to put away MSN for now and to put maturity into practice by summoning absolutely all my efforts on homework and this <insert some word that I'm not certain of here, adjective form> event.

So it's not a rhetorical question... Been absent-minded lately for a month, and just can't sleep at all last night feeling completely uneasy about online... *sigh* So tired, so tired. And I can't even feel relieved at all even if I finally know what it is that I'm picking up (or in fact, it's even more tense and fearful.)

(for the random Christians reading my ranting, pray for me to have faith to regain peace and rid the uneasiness in my mind =/ )

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    I'll pray for ya, f.w. I'm going through similar troubles: I still have 1,000+ pages to read, essays to write and problems to solve before school starts back in less than a month. Talk about pressure! Because of these things, I won't be posting much *all of one person looks disappointed* or really doing anything related to stuff other than school work! What book are you currently reading, f.w.?

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • I know that I've mentioned this before, but I've expanded on my license idea a bit.

I occasionally thought about this. It'll bring a HUGE drop to poorly written fics here (both in the Pokemon and non-Pokemon sections), and it'll greatly help out the new authors as well as giving them as much time as they need as possible to improve.

Before posting a story, each author must have a FanFic License. To get one, an author must send their some of their story (about one or two chapters, prologue included) to a judge and/or a fan fic mod. The judge will then rate it on:

Plot - Is the plot original and/or interesting? Out of 10 for Pokemon fics or 15 for non-Pokemon fics.
    Originality - Are all ideas fresh and by the author? Out of 10.
    Grammar/Spelling - The less grammar and spelling mistakes there are, the higer your score will be. Out of 20.
    Detail - Do the description give you a picture of what's going on? Does it appeal to the senses (taste, smell, etc.)? Out of 20 for Pokemon fic or 25 for non-Pokemon fics.
    Realism - With some exceptions, can this happen in real life? Out of 20.
    Battles (Pokemon only) - Were the battles well-written and realistic? Out of 10.
    Length - Was the chapter(s) of the fic at least 5-10 pages in Microsoft Word? Out of 10.

That will all tally up to a score out of 100, and if the author gets a 75 or better, he/she gets the license and will be allowed to post their story. Those who who fail will be given advice on how to approve and may resubmit their story no earlier than a week.

Instant Disqualifications and/or permanent banning from writing fan fics would include plagerism, inappropiate content (way too adult rated and the like), and anything offensive to others.

What do you think?

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
  • The idea sounds spiffy and all, but seriously though... I don't think it?s in anyone's right to discourage one's imagination. Even if they aren't making a "good" story I feel its no one's right to all out censor them like that.

You may say it stops not very good fics altogether but its the mods job to simply lock any fic that isn't up to snuff anyway. All this idea is gonna do is prevent those who want to better themselves and receive open help from doing such.

In any case the idea (in the eyes of other others) of a "good" fic is all subjective anyway. This whole idea feels like a double-edged sword to me that's gonna hurt more than its gonna help.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back