• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
Years
  • Negrek said:
    Who on earth referred to Farla as their mentor? *deeply curious*
    I'll tell you via PM. :P

Negrek said:
    First, the question of whether another pok?mon would fill the desired role. I guess I just don't understand that one too well--after all, couldn't beautifly fill almost the exact same role as butterfree? And yet, it was created.
    I... never really thought of it that way. :\

Negrek said:
    Second, the idea that the fake needs explanation. In many cases I suppose that's true, but when working with a new region, what sort of explanation would you need? Wouldn't the fact that you were in a new and unexplored region be explanation in and of itself enough?
    Good point about the new region.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    Negrek said:
    First, the question of whether another pok?mon would fill the desired role. I guess I just don't understand that one too well--after all, couldn't beautifly fill almost the exact same role as butterfree? And yet, it was created.

I am so sick of all this "Houen is a rip-off" bulls***. Beautifly and Butterfree can play in roles that the other can't. They have different movesets, they have different methods of evolution (a fact which the anime used to its advantage), they eat food differently, and canon dictates that they're located in completely seperate regions. The differences are slight in comparison to other Pokemon, but they're still there.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Negrek said "almost". If the Beautifly evolving (for example with somebody catching it as a Silcoon), its eating habits and its exclusive moves are not going to be in any way important to the plot, which they won't be in many cases, Butterfree can still fill the same role - sure, minor changes would have to be made, but the Beautifly's importances to the plot could still be there.

Anyway, I do see the point that you can spare readers confusion by just using an existing Pok?mon rather than making up a new one if it's very similar, but the point about new regions logically being able to have new Pok?mon that Negrek mentioned is still true. In fact, canonically, every new region that has wild Pok?mon at all contains Pok?mon exclusive to it. =/ So technically, having new Pok?mon makes more sense than not unless there is something particular about the region.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I'm with Negrek about how the quiz has its own flawed point because it also defeats a lot of the "regular Pokemon." Whatever Pidgeot can do, Fearow can do it better, just like how Dodrio will also shadow over it, only to be beat by Swellow in the game. It's the same case that Beautifly will be at the bottom of the "bug/flying sleeper" chain, with Butterfree in the middle and Yanma at the top.

That is where Pokedex information comes in. That is often neglected because it's unimportant in the game (for understandable reasons), and that's what Pidgeot needs in order to overtake Fearow, Dodrio and Swellow to be useful in a fanfic. Its ability to fly at the speed of mach 2 should be mentioned to show that Pidgeot is a carefully chosen pokemon for the task, as Dodrio, Swellow and Fearow cannot accomplish this task. Pidgeot is also connotated to be "most righteous" out of the 4, followed by Swellow, with Fearow and Dodrio tied for "these are the bad guys."

In fanfic, writers will also have to resort to looking at the unwritten and unspoken laws for each specific Pokemon in order to make this choice. Butterfree and Beautifly are almost the same, but Beautifly got the more feminine end while Butterfree has a more masculin one. Beautifly will focus on status attacks even more than Butterfree in fanfics, even though the reverse should be true in a game. Beautifly is also deemed to be even more fragile than Butterfree as well. In "reality," both of them can be male or female, with an equally pitiful defense, but they are connotated to be this way. If I want a female trainer to have a bug type who will lose a battle (especially if it's against a tough, 'masculin' opponent), then in theory Beautifly will come out to be a better choice than Butterfree just by a small bit.

If no existing Pokemon qualify for this task, then I can perfectly see why a new Pokemon is used. For example, a "good" speedy ice Pokemon will need to be created if that's the Pokemon of choice in your mind for a starting trainer. Sneasel and Glalie are "bad," and all the other ice types are slow. Jynx's image never fits an ordinary trainer very well, and Articuno is a legendary. If you've chosen a cold region so you need an ice type for a beginning trainer, and you wish that it's a fast ice type because being speedy opens a lot of room for creativity in upcoming Pokemon battles, then you got no choice but to make something up.

(note: the "unwritten" properties of a Pokemon can be rather vague, especially for underused ones... so don't ask me if Marcargo is a "good" guy or a "bad" guy)

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Looking back at it, I think that the first thing is really just trying to shut down those really bad "new" ripoffs. Generally, you can tell one of them by their description, generally along the lines of, "Aquarine looks just like squirtle but with a little yellow gem in the center of its forehead!"

Edit: Oh, and magcargo's just a loser. Slugma forever!

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • DarkCircuit said:
    Hey everyone! =3

I'm revived, so how's everything here? ^^" I need to get writing D:
    Oh, nothing much. Just talking about fanfic stuff like some quiz I've found and stuff like that.

In other words, same old, same old. :P

Years
  • Koonichiwa or Konbanwa to everyone who reads this! lol I was thinking of posting a fan fic for FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) on here, but I don't know what to call it! Anybody have any good ideas? If you would like a kind of summary for the story, just ask. It might or might not help. *shrugs* Anyway, I have lost most -if not all- of my creativeness at the moment, so I can't think of a title.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I was wondering... would it be better for me to wander around the board, read the fanfics and just post a mark and the breakdown of the marks, but drop the comments unless the authors request it? o_O; I thought that this may reduce my likely tendency to re-read a fanfic all the way from the very beginning to try to catch everything, and the hideous amount of work in typing up exactly what went wrong (and etc etc)...

Matt Silver

Who Do You Think?
    Years
  • I had a new idea for a story. The storyline will unveil late rbut for now i have a little sampler:

'Go Magmar!' yelled the short, black haired girl with a green Camper uniform on. After a quick flash of red light, a giant red and yellow fire monster appeared in front of her.

She gazed at her surroundings, she was standing on light green grass and surrounding her was nothing, just forget-me-not light blue skies. She wasn't alone. Across from her, her opponent stared back at her and smirked.

He was about 14 years old with brown eyes, medium build, a light-skinned face and long light brown hair with a pair of dark blue sunglasses with silver rims sitting on top of it.

He raised his right arm and straightened out his black sleeve which was connected to his black T-shirt with a brown vest over it. In his right hand was a red and white sphere- a Pok?ball.

'Go Poliwrath!' he said lightly, apparently amused at the situation he was in. A giant blue frog appeared out of the Pok?ball in front of him.

The girl was ready quickly.

'Use Flamethrower!' she roared, and, at the command, the fire Pok?mon's mouth filled up with flames and, a second later, erupted from its mouth and flew towards the enemy.

The blue frog that was called Poliwrath had lifted its arms up and took the full force of the Flamethrower.

The boy took this lightly again. He patted his dark blue shorts down a bit and cleared his throat:
    'Hydro Pump!' he yelled.
    Poliwrath obeyed and a glowing ball of water had appeared in between its hands. The girl was horrified, her eyes narrowing in fear.

'Block it, Magmar!' She screeched, but it was too late.
    The glowing ball in between Poliwrath's hands had propelled itself forward into the form of a jet-stream of water that was heading straight for Magmar.

It hit it squarely in the chest.

The girl closed her eyes. She did not open them, she had lost to the boy.

The boy smirked again and looked up at the sky.

A black hole had appeared in the sky and it was spreading over it like a wave of darkness. It eventually hit the ground.

Then there was blackness, just the boy remained. He closed his eyes.

And opened them again.

Flashing his white teeth, Max Black stepped out of the Simulation Machine and into a classroom.

Last edited:

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • Frostweaver said:
    I was wondering... would it be better for me to wander around the board, read the fanfics and just post a mark and the breakdown of the marks, but drop the comments unless the authors request it? o_O; I thought that this may reduce my likely tendency to re-read a fanfic all the way from the very beginning to try to catch everything, and the hideous amount of work in typing up exactly what went wrong (and etc etc)...
    Why not? It seems like a good idea. I'd say go for it.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • Ogod, my two "favorite" topics... genders and Farla.

Farla made a story with a Pokemon called eon, a mix of all the eeveelutions. Oh yes, but she is the queen of fanfiction, so everything she does is acceptable.

I love breaking gender stereotypes because I'm a dork like that. I'll draw male Gardevoir and female Machoke, but keep them androgynous... that is, there's no or very little phsyical indication on a Pokemon's sex. Many animals are relatively androgynous (males are typically bigger than females, though there's exceptions like frogs and spotted hyenas, but unless you saw a male and female animal next to eachother you can't normally tell them apart).

I really really despise people who think blah blah Pokemon should be female/male only because of how it looks. Pokemon are not humans. They don't put on makeup to look pretty. Humans are one of the few animals where the female tries to look attractive to males, but with a lot of animals it's the male who tries to impress the female. Thus, Gardevoir being so graceful, it should be said that it's the female who should appear less pretty if Pokemon were not androgynous.

Sadly, the games (the most canon source of Pokemon) fall into the male/female stereotypes. While it's understandable that Jynx and Chansey be female only, and Pokemon who are counterparts to eachother (the nido), there's little reason to make ones like Clefairy mostly female and ones like Abra to be mostly male other than "Well, those look female and those look male". Actually... a lot of the mostly male Pokemon don't make much sense. Growlithe, Abra, Electabuzz, Makuhita... they all seem gender ambiguous to me, unlike the pink fluffy types. To make things more sickening, whenever there's a male-female counterpart, the male is more offensive and faster and the female is defensive and more docile-looking in general. It's so cliche and sexist. Oh yeah, and in GSC, female Pokemon had a lower attack stat. These are POKEMON, they are built to fight constantly. Why should the females get a lower attack stat?

Now that I went off topic with my rant, back to fanfics. Here's something... what's a good way to describe a fan-created Pokemon? Frostweaver criticized on this long paragraph I wrote on this one of mine. But it would be difficult to do it any other way since this Pokemon was fairly unique (despite being a female Hitmon), and if I described her through actions, the reader would picture her as a blob with details added on as the story went.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Introduce the new Pokemon in a unique matter, I guess (I've never made my own o.o)...so as long as you don't write a block of paragraph describing it or anything.

Now, for OOC purposes.

In the school's literary magazine club, someone submitted this story, albeit not in verbatim, I admit:

Once upon a time, there lived a frog. The frog wanted to be a dancer. He practiced dancing every single day nonstop, but his family and friends only laughed at him. One day, a magical fairy appeared in a shower of dust. "What is the matter, young one?" she asked kindly. "I want to be a dancer," the frog replied. The fairy laughed at him, saying, "Frogs can't dance." And she killed him.

We actually put that in the magazine. I'm questioning the sanity of what we write these days. X)

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Frostweaver said:
    I was wondering... would it be better for me to wander around the board, read the fanfics and just post a mark and the breakdown of the marks, but drop the comments unless the authors request it? o_O; I thought that this may reduce my likely tendency to re-read a fanfic all the way from the very beginning to try to catch everything, and the hideous amount of work in typing up exactly what went wrong (and etc etc)...
    I like the comments.

Grammar and such is more trivial to me. I can fix that under editing. It's the actual character development, plot line, and story parts I like help on.

Just my two cents though~

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Anome said:
    Koonichiwa or Konbanwa to everyone who reads this! lol I was thinking of posting a fan fic for FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) on here, but I don't know what to call it! Anybody have any good ideas? If you would like a kind of summary for the story, just ask. It might or might not help. *shrugs* Anyway, I have lost most -if not all- of my creativeness at the moment, so I can't think of a title.
    Well, I'll helpt XD

But what's the plot revolve around~?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Now that I went off topic with my rant, back to fanfics. Here's something... what's a good way to describe a fan-created Pokemon? Frostweaver criticized on this long paragraph I wrote on this one of mine. But it would be difficult to do it any other way since this Pokemon was fairly unique (despite being a female Hitmon), and if I described her through actions, the reader would picture her as a blob with details added on as the story went.
    Well, I think that would depend upon the point of view that you were working with. Are you planning to do a first-person or third-person narrative?

Ultimately, I think that the best way to go about describing it would be by taking into account what sort of things the person or pokemon who is first encountering this new species would think. If it was a human, a trainer, especially, they would probably begin by comparing it to a pokemon that they were familiar with. We'll just pretend that, since you mentioned it to be a female hitmon, it looks vaguely like a hitmonlee. Depending upon how similar it is to a preexisting species, the main character might actually mistake it for one ("I thought at first that it was a hitmonlee, but its long, powerful arms seemed to indicate otherwise...") or only vaguely notice a resemblance ("Its form vaguely suggested that of a hitmonlee, but..."). By contrast, a pokemon observer would probably be more likely to notice more specific traits as opposed to overall physical composition, much as we might focus on the unusually large eyes of a person belonging to a race that we'd never before encountered rather than noticing general things like, "Gee, that person has two legs and two arms!" This familiarity and more specific recognition would increase if the pokemon encountering the new species was of a species similar in composition to that one being described.

Ick, I don't know if that made any sense or is at all helpful/what you wanted. That's the best I can give you, though.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    DarkCircuit said:
    I like the comments.

Grammar and such is more trivial to me. I can fix that under editing. It's the actual character development, plot line, and story parts I like help on.

Just my two cents though~

Heh, I'm on the same page as you. But you wanna hear what I've considered doing lately about getting comments about that kinda stuff? Rather than waiting for some review to come along, I say you should actively search for someone who seems to know their stuff when it comes to story-telling, then ask them to look over your story and leave a review. In my case, I'd be looking for someone who does in-depth reviews for anime series, particularly the action-adventure dramas.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • *prods lounge*

I finished chapter 30 of The Quest for the Legends yesterday, and that's the equivalent of the old chapter 36 which was the last chapter I ever wrote of the UMR. Now nobody knows what's going to happen except me. Mwahahaha. >=)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Dragonfree said:
    *prods lounge*

I finished chapter 30 of The Quest for the Legends yesterday, and that's the equivalent of the old chapter 36 which was the last chapter I ever wrote of the UMR. Now nobody knows what's going to happen except me. Mwahahaha. >=)
    Most authors are the only people who know what's going to happen next Oo

Unless you write what the voices tell you to... O:

Anyways, I finally got a FF Net account! www.fanfiction.net/blackxxjapan

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back