• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • What are you people doing?

Streaking.

Obviously.

For the sake of my own amusement not confusing the people who keep asking about poems, a new topic:

Your character has a LiveJournal. How about giving us a sample entry?

Bonus points for combining two topics if they would write poetry in their entries.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I think we should have a brand new topic, which has come from something that I've started to get interested about.

Have you ever tried to read up on your family history, like, follow you're family tree back as far as you can and see who you were related to? If so, has it ever inspired you to write?

I have.
    My mothers uncle went to Scotland a while back and traced our family tree back hundreds of years and found out that we're blood related to Banquo (you know, from Macbeth). If is son, Fleance, had been killed when Macbeth sent those people after them, my family wouldn't be here.

I also found out that I am blood related to the 100th King of Scotland and Sir. Robert Boyd (who fought along side William "Braveheart" Wallace), whose son fought along side Robert The Bruce.

After reading this I felt really good inside and really wanted to write a story about how Fleance met Nesta, his wife (a Welsh Princess) and why they left Wales to return to Scotland.

Bay

Years
  • Yeah, the poetry thing got started with icomeanon and txtclipse, so we decided to see how long we can keep this streak up. :P

Okay, this is an entry of Jacob Alexison from NE. And yes, it's going to be in poetry form since he's cool like that. :P

That day when I saved Bunny
    And her new friend Jenny
    I was unsure why they were being chased
    My decision to act was of haste
    I told them about the plates
    But not how I took away Ernest's fate
    We all then became tired
    So for the night we retired

I know it sucks, but whatever. XD;

Have you ever tried to read up on you family history, like, follow you're family tree back as far as you can and see who you were related to? If so, has it ever inspired you to write?
    I always wondered how my family history is like, but I know I'll never be able to find out. The thing is my family came from a communist country (not China ^^; ), so the birth records and all got destroyed.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Have you ever tried to read up on your family history, like, follow you're family tree back as far as you can and see who you were related to? If so, has it ever inspired you to write?

My family tends to be a bit more traditional, so we've passed down our family history from generation to generation anyway. In other words, where my family comes from has always just been a part of who we are as a clan, and it's not really something we let ourselves forget. The funny thing is, it's nothing particularly spectacular. My father's side descends from Jewish carpenters -- the kind that, you know, lived in tiny villages in Poland and some other tiny countries in eastern Europe. About the most exciting thing that happened to us before the 1930's is the fact that we were chased out of Poland by the Russians when the czar decided he didn't like Jews in a country he wanted to take over, so we decided to go to the United States instead. My mother's side, meanwhile, descends from Chinese merchants (supposedly with some Mongolian blood in them) that settled in the Philippines and had a little fun with the Spaniards way back when. They went native sometime after that... sort of. (As in, they weren't exactly like the indigenous tribes, but if you think of the typical northern Filipino, that's what that side's like.)

This sort of thing doesn't really leak into my writing, though, because it really isn't particularly interesting, and the Jewish side of it has been done to death anyway. (Seriously, go watch Fiddler on the Roof if you're that curious.) I've played with the idea of culture clashes between the Filipino side and certain other groups (namely, the Japanese, who thought it would be a good idea to invade the country and essentially enslave the Filipinos in the 1940's... which isn't really anything new because anyone who notices the Philippines tries to invade it at least once, if I recall correctly), but that piece hasn't really been distributed because it downright sucked.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Have you ever tried to read up on your family history, like, follow you're family tree back as far as you can and see who you were related to? If so, has it ever inspired you to write?

Well, yeah. My father's cousin, I think, made a large-scale research about our family tree. He lost the interest when he found out that two of my ancestors were sentenced to death for piracy around 1600's. Actually, they weren't really pirates, because they stood on islands and seashores and pretended to be a lighthouse to get the ships to wreck so they could loot them. After finding that out, he didn't want to continue his research anymore... So that's as far as I know. i think that's even pretty cool... Besides, neither of those brothers had any children, so technically I'm not their descendant.

Family history is interesting, but not interesting enough to make me write about it. This far it hasn't been inspirational enough. But when you think about it, I bet every single one of us is somehow related to important persons or even rulers in the past. It would be fun to know abou those kind of connections, though ^-^

This is for April Killigan, because I like her.

Aprillie's journal - Tuesday 24.24.1996 14:34

I found a wonderful new recipe today! I didn't know internet had these recipe journalsd. Oh no, how did that d get it there? How do you erase it? I better ask Jack when he comes home from scool. Oh no, another mistake! I'm not very good at this yet! Anyway, I found this new recipe for porridge. I found it very interesting, since it combined rice porridge and oatmeal porridge. Jack and Mari always complain about oatmeal, but rice isn't healthy enough for my standards. Maybe this will solve our breakfast dilemmas.
    That same blog - is it a blog? i'm really very new to this internet thing - had some other very interesting recipes I'd like to try. Some were for pokemon cooking. Maybe should try to feed Balca - oh no, all these mistakes.... what am I going to do? I should feed her better, anyway, since she's getting old already. If raymond was still here, I could ask his opinion on these homemade pokemon foods. They might not be healthy, but I don't know. I'll ask Blanca's opinion too.
    But the porridge I really have to try out. Ah! I can hear Jack is coming home. I better go ask him how to correct my mistakes with this thing. Oh, look, I wonder what that button does?

Aprillie's journal - Tuesday 24.24.1996 14:46

Oh, shoot, I wasn't going to post that uncorrected! I want to apologise for my mistakes. I also forgot to give the link to the blog I found, but I promise to do that late

Aprillie's journal - Tuesday 24.24.1996 14:57

Heh, I accidentally hit enter. So, I promise to post the link later. Now I'll try the recipe to see what the kids think. Maybe I'll make Balnca taste, too! How exiting!

-April

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Also... RukarioX: That picture in your sig... Those characters are from My Life as a King, right? Seeing as you also have Phoenix Wright and Maya in you avvy, both of whom are from a game series I simply adore, I have to ask: Is My Life as a King a good game? Exactly how good is it?

Well, it's not bad, but after several days, you get bored. You can get DLC for better choices, and you might want to get it.

My Life As a King
    Must have a nice ring
    (... to it.)
    In my sig, clicky my banner
    And I will show you a lot of old batter
    I can not say why am I rhyming...
    But I know that it is blyming...

And I don't even think anything meant sense. It's just that my banner has better news on that than this thread.

Have you ever tried to read up on your family history, like, follow you're family tree back as far as you can and see who you were related to? If so, has it ever inspired you to write?

No. All characters are one of my emotions or one of my ex-girlfriends. That's it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Your character has a LiveJournal. How about giving us a sample entry?
    Beware Lisa's journal entry of randomness and boredom:

Today I sent in my Form 1040 to the IRS. I'm expecting a pretty nice refund, but perhaps I shouldn't have as much of my tax withheld from my paycheck. It would give me more funds to make purchases throughout the year.

In other news, I think my Buick wagon needs an oil change. Right now I'm debating whether to do it myself or have the shop change it. They're starting to charge a bit too much, but on the other hand, I always worry about getting motor oil on my clothes. It doesn't come out easy, that's for sure!

And finally, that textbook on integer factorization that I'm writing is coming along quite well. It should be ready to submit to the copy editor within a week. That is all. Next entry will be coming from South Carolina because I'm spending the weekend there with family.

- Lisa

Not really. I do know that my parents once owned a '79 Chevy Caprice Classic and then an '86 Mercury Grand Marquis but that's about all the family history I know of.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years

No

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009

Never.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Seeing as my previous topic is going down too well, let's have a different one.

Have you ever written a part of a story and liked it, but when you read over it again you hated it and changed it completely?

I've done this once.

I wrote the Prologue for my future fanfic, DE-2017, I was happy with it and started writing Chapter 1. But! The next day I read over the Prologue and said to myself, "I didn't give this too much thought, did I?" I scraped the entire Prologue and started again from scratch.

Bay

Years
  • Have you ever written a part of a story and liked it, but when you read over it again you hated it and changed it completely?

MANY, MANY TIMES. I did the rough draft of NE and finished it before posting the chapters. Some chapters at first I liked a lot, but when I reread it, I didn't like it and went from scratch. For example, I originally was about to feature Candice in the story, but after reading the chapters featuring her, I thought to myself, "why is she here in the first place?" She has no role whatsoever to advance the story. XD

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

I...I just, can't...can't comprehend one single, little, tiny, itty bitty crumb of what has been going on the past few days in here! I fell quiet again as usual, the period of death that had been going on until recently not helping matters, and then when I notice activity stirring again I find this...this madness! ARE YOU NOT ASHAMED?!

I hate you all. Seriously. I never should have joined this place! >:O

In writing news...

DEAR GOD, PLEASE HELP ME! THE WRITING INSPIRATION I WAS SO STRUCK WITH WEEKS AGO HAS NOW BEEN LOST!

I was hoping to get TFC chap 3 out last week, but...Deus Ex... I...had to play... And now, I must play The Nameless Mod...

OH GOD, WHY?! WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS?! ALL I WANT TO DO IS WRITE MAGICAL WRITING STUFF THAT MAKES PEOPLE PRAISE ME IS ENTERTAINING!

And TRINITY chap 3... I...I haven't even thought about it yet...

WHO AM I KIDDING, I SUCK! I ALWAYS SAY THAT I'M GOING TO GET BACK INTO THE GAME AND KEEP IT UP AND ALL, BUT IT ALWAYS FAILS! OH GOD, WHY DO I SUCK?!

Let's say that's enough of the gratuitous caps, 'kay?

Shrike: "Found a new MMO the other day; it's yet another trainer one but the twist here is that combat is much more in-depth. Instead of simply issuing orders, you can directly control your Pokémon, like a fighting game. Looks neat, but like all MMOs I doubt it'll stick with me..."

Rayne: "...Where'd this come from? I have nothing to say, sorry."

Aira: "Got exam grades back today; I aced them! Been waiting for FireBird to show up so that I could brag to him about it, but for some reason he hasn't been on lately... Weird..."

Tashima: "Dove again today; I needed some advice from Seth for a new program that will be able to bypass some of CYPHER's newer security. I can't keep going up against their old stuff forever... As usual he thinks I'm crazy, but just wait; sooner or later I'll find something that he can't just ignore."

Havoc: "I'm worried about Tashima... He's been obsessing over his programs and experiments lately. All the while I've been getting this feeling, that something behind the scenes has changed. I think he feels it too and is simply preparing accordingly. I suppose I can't fault him, I just don't want him to get in over his head.

Have you ever written a part of a story and liked it, but when you read over it again you hated it and changed it completely?
    Yeah, the entire 29 chapters of TFC that I am now rewriting :D

Okay, I'm not changing all of them, but some will be hugely changed. Primarily at fault here is the second half of part 2 where Shrike and the gang meet up with one of the bad groups. While it began fine previously, it quickly degraded into just me jerking off as I wrote about how awesome my characters are and how they pretty much pwn anyone except the obligatory villain who insists he could mop the floor with them in his sleep but always holds back his power for no real explained reason. In fact, that's how most of the story ended up, and as such, those are all the parts that are going to be changed.

On a smaller scale, the first chapter of TRINITY is a prime example of this. I had a whole different ending written out, but during proofreading I realized how much it sucked, and was again simply falling into the trap of me jerking off to my own characters.

I need to stop doing that.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Have you ever written a part of a story and liked it, but when you read over it again you hated it and changed it completely?

Actually, it tends to be the opposite for me; I'll write something that I think is terrible, then come back to it a couple years later and decide it's decent. That's mostly stand-alone things, though. The beginnings (and entireties!) of my chapterfics make me die a little out of embarrassment whenever I read over them. However, if I went back to write them again, I wouldn't "change them completely." For the most part, the changes that I would make would be in terms of prose quality, and in some cases pacing--even if I think that the plots were poorly executed at times, I still like them, and I wouldn't go making many huge alterations in that department.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

lol, hi, AEM version 0.5. Let's just say I ended up having to rewrite the first three chapters from near-scratch, keeping seriously only about a page of the original material.

Other than that, currently suffering from this with a short story I'm trying to write. The problem is that it's already up to twenty pages long.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Your character has a LiveJournal. How about giving us a sample entry?

R-9WM is Mewtwo's livejournal. Or the equivalent of one, at least.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    *Has rewritten a good portion of early chapters*

Oh, yeah, I'm actually going through that now. My early chapters were just... ugh...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

[thinks]

I don't think I've ever run into that problem, but I have gone over an extensive grammar check. xD

I don't actually go on LiveJournal, so I've got no idea whether people like to post lengthy entries...

CYRUS: "(no entry)"

MESPRIT: "AAARGH! I don't believe this at all! What in the name of Arceus above could possibly sway those Legendaries into letting that man keep his existence intact?!? I don't know what's come over them. He really just needs to stop, think, accept the fact that he screwed up, and then just die! But noooooooo, Palkia and Uxie just won't allow that, will they?

Idiots."

CARO: "whoa... what's this?is it like a journal of some kind?hey,these buttons here have sorta-kinda Unown runes on them... fhformvirbvrfirdkcm!!!!!??????!!!!"

KRIS: "What the heck is this supposed to be...?"

Last edited:

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
    Oh, yes. Though it depends if you mean a chapter or the whole story. The first write of my story, Mentor which I wrote two years ago, was... typical of a person at my age at the time. Characterization was weird, description could use work and there were plot holes big enough to drive a garbage truck through. The story was later scrapped and then completely revamped into the form you can see today.

The only recent instance of rewriting the story was me completely going over chapter one because it had too much angst and emo moments and not enough sarcasm and cynical characterization.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back