• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feedback, Questions and Recommendations Thread [V.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Feedback, Questions, & Suggestions

Other Trivia is a big section, and it's not always so easy to listen/hear to the voices of members when it comes to game/event ideas and the rules. So with this thread, Peachy and I hope you be able to hear more of your voices, and respond in the best way possible!

Guidelines

• Abide to PokeCommunity's Rules
    • This is not a game. This is a discussion thread to discuss way to improve Other Trivia.
    • Do not go off-topic. This is strictly for Questions, Comments, and Discussing suggestions.

Feedback

Is there something that Peaches and I should do to make our modding better? Have feedback to a suggestion that has been posted here? This thread isn't just for the member giving the suggestion to get feedback from the mods, but to also receive feedback and the opinions of other members as well. We would love to receive as much feedback as possible, to hear the voices from everyone.

Questions

Have something on your mind that is bothering you? Have a thread idea but not sure to post it? Go ahead and ask us any questions relating to Other Trivia. BinaryPeaches and I will do out best to answer them as quickly and as best as possible. If you have any questions about this thread itself, so ahead and ask here as well.

Suggesting

This can go from suggestion an event, to suggestion an edit to a rule. Once you post your suggestion, then both the mods and other members can discuss it, for it to come to a proper conclusion. Please have the suggestions be within the boundaries of the rules. If you have to ask about removing the four words per post rule, KNOW THIS: THE ANSWER IS A RESOUNDING NO. THIS IS A PC RULE, NOT JUST AN OTHER TRIVIA RULE.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • NOTE: This double post is made to make it easier for you guys to know the topic I'm asking.

Both me and BinaryPeaches have discussed how it might be a good time to introduce a staple forum game that has gained popularity the past decade. That game is called "Mafia."

Main Page - MafiaWiki

The game is played by a group of people, each playing the role of either a murdering mafia member or an innocent townsperson, along with a game moderator. At the beginning of the game, night falls, and the mafia family members become aware of each other (by communication from the moderator). They then choose a victim, and the moderator announces the death scene. When day breaks, the town must try to weed out the evil by lynching someone they suspect to be mafia. The game continues, alternating between night and day, until one side is eliminated.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • In my opinion this might work better if we have a vB bot running the mafia thread. Dunno if there exist any vB usable mafia bots...and such a game can screech to a halt if the Mafia member, or the moderator goes MIA for any reason. I see no reason to run something that complex outside of IRC where all communication is real-time anyway.

We don't need more ways for you two to be able to hand out infractions...and a game like this can get that way fast, especially if say...the moderator of the game vanishes.

Not to mention people can be pretty riled up about the Mafia game if they find out who keeps "Killing" them off.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I have a question for you before I answer anything you said Pachy: Have you ever seen a Mafia game on Forums? I've seen some, and while some haven't worked out as well, I've also seen a few that have gone on for many rounds. How are we going to know what'll happen if we don't even try it.

The Last One

Stalking Your Conversations
    Years
  • The mafia game sounds like fun, i wouldnt mind seeing it come alive. and im sure that alot of the members should be mature enough to handle it

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Seems like a lot of fun to me! Like BinaryPeaches said, we never know how it'll work out before we try, so I'm in for that. If everyone sticks to the rules then I don't see why there should be a problem - and sticking to the rules is something you have to do anyway.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    In my opinion this might work better if we have a vB bot running the mafia thread. Dunno if there exist any vB usable mafia bots...and such a game can screech to a halt if the Mafia member, or the moderator goes MIA for any reason. I see no reason to run something that complex outside of IRC where all communication is real-time anyway.

We don't need more ways for you two to be able to hand out infractions...and a game like this can get that way fast, especially if say...the moderator of the game vanishes.

Not to mention people can be pretty riled up about the Mafia game if they find out who keeps "Killing" them off.

There are two mods to this forum, and they're both active. I don't think there's going to be a problem of them being able to keep up. I also don't understand your infraction point - you don't want a game because the game has rules? I don't understand your logic there, every game has rules. Will you disagree with every game that has a single rule that can be broken because it's another way for an infraction to happen? o_O;

I personally probably wouldn't participate because forum games generally aren't my kind of thing, but I still think this is a good idea. Besides, worst case scenario, it doesn't work and after a few rounds it stops. No harm done, right?

Nashua

lovely, isn't she? :D
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    The one thing I'm worried about is how are people going to remember the game. Is the host going to prod them every stage to make sure that they still remember? The key word is activity from both sides.

hmm. I seem to have been ninja'ed.

Well, this would attract the HP fans, but it would need a lot of advertising to work.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Don't worry. We're concerned about the issue, and we're planning on advertising this quite a bit, least for the first game. We're definitely going to have a blog up and an announcement here in Other Trivia. If we can, we might even see about getting an announcement that can be shown throughout the whole forum (one of those that you can close. Yeah one of those ones).

As for the activity issue I'm sure the host of the game will have ideas to keep people around and active. One of the first rules of Mafia is to definitely stick around. Mafia has worked quite wonderfully in other forums, and we won't know how it's going to work out here until we give it a go, right? :D

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Yeah, of the many mafia games I played, the ones here in PC didn't really get to the point where someone wins. They all sort of fade away after some time, it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. Everyone's activity is important, if someone does not reply after a decent amount of time (like 2 mafia days) then they should either be kicked from the game or replaced immediately unless there were any reasons given. That's how most of the games I've played went. No-one wanted to be kicked out/replaced so they were all active and kept playing the game and such.

So yeah, kudos for the HP-theme. ;)

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Well I hope it goes well this time. I'm always up for such a game. Thinking back, this is where the thread subscription feature comes in handy.

Also, I'm really curious about the concept. Is it going to be similar to Zeffy's or...?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'm not too sure how the Harry Potter one is going to be running; the person who will be running the mafia is probably setting it up. He runs another mafia game on another forum among real life things, but after setting it up he said he could easily run the game since that's the easy part; the hard part is setting it up and getting participants, but that's Netto's and my job).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Hi guys! Instead of creating a whole new thread, I'm just going to open this guy up (why on earth it was never opened when Netto locked it before it beyond me) and just jump the 'FEEDBACK PLZ' bandwagon. I'll be editing the thread title to compensate this, don't worry. But for the time being, if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/feedback on Other Trivia and how to change/improve it, we would love to hear it! Just y'know... give us something to work with, and not something like "you guys suck i hate this place."

Thanks!

(As a note, don't mention the mafia. no idea what's going on with that.)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Um, I don't know if this'll help much because I don't have an idea of how to make a difference but... OT seems to mainly consist of rating/something about the above poster and counting games. I think we need something else in the mix, yeah?

Years
  • Um, I don't know if this'll help much because I don't have an idea of how to make a difference but... OT seems to mainly consist of rating/something about the above poster and counting games. I think we need something else in the mix, yeah?

I think the prevalence of these is due to the relatively lower effort these types of games involve compared to other types.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Eh. I wholeheartedly agree with Anna here. I have... my own things against the rating threads these days, but I'll keep those to myself. But besides that, I would love to see more games that aren't just rating games myself. If others don't think of any games like that, I'll try to think of some/revive some that aren't rating threads.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I was scanning the old old games a few days ago and mainly saw quiz games and PC family threads. :| Although Throw Something At A Member was weirdly popular, as were café threads.

also i made a game

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I really enjoyed the nightclub, but then I took a vacation and when I got it got abandoned. XD

I agree with Anna & Peaches, most of the games here are almost identical, with a few differences in the rules. Don't go touching the song rating thread though! That one actually requires effort!!

I also think that this place is quieter then it used to be. A while ago, threads with a last post of 5 days ago were listed on the second page.

Maybe we should create a list of successful games from the past, and check for what made them so successful. Damnit, Anna beat me to it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back