• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy Discussion

Cello

Tonight!
Years
  • I picked up my pre-order this morning as soon as the gamestop up the street opened.
    Two hours later, wouldn't you know it, my xbox 360 had it's way all over the back of disc one.
    Luckily gamestop holds a 30-day free defect warranty to these situations. With a 3-disc game you can't find a reason not to purchase a $3 one year warranty after that happened.

I'm at the part where you
    Spoiler:

The games great so far... just linear as all get out, as said.
    The previews claimed there were no towns but there are towns, they just aren't like in previous Final Fantasy games where they come of importance to you. You can't go revisit them later though, apparently.

The battle system is extremely challenging, in a sense of aiming for a five star rating. At the beginning of the game all I received were five star ratings but later they just kept dropping, leaving me sorely disappointed in myself.
    It's hard to find that right paradigm setup. It's really something you just have to experiment with and study up on.

Overall, it's fun so far. I just hate not being pitted multiple pathways and lots of corridors to explore. The straightforwardness is making me bored.
    It's proving to be challenging, with interesting enough characters and story. And the visuals are as stunning as ever. Oh, and Vanille makes me want to chuck my controller out the window with me screaming and jumping out right after it.
    The rest of the characters are fine though. Especially Sazh.

Edit:
    BY THE WAY
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I love how I have no idea what the hell is going on yet the characters do...and I'm not as a fanboy I like my PS3 just fine but there not different

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • The story starts to come together the more you play. I understood nothing in the first few chapters, but I'm on chapter 7 now and a LOT more makes sense.

I'm absolutely in love with the battle system. It was difficult to get the hang of at first with Paradigm Shifts and all that, but now that I've gotten the hang of it, it's really exciting. I've also now realized that all the "linearity" issues people have been moaning about isn't really an issue at all. It's no worse than X was at being linear, thus it is not an issue.

Also...
    Vanille! ♥

Calder

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    The story starts to come together the more you play. I understood nothing in the first few chapters, but I'm on chapter 7 now and a LOT more makes sense.

I'm absolutely in love with the battle system. It was difficult to get the hang of at first with Paradigm Shifts and all that, but now that I've gotten the hang of it, it's really exciting. I've also now realized that all the "linearity" issues people have been moaning about isn't really an issue at all. It's no worse than X was at being linear, thus it is not an issue.

Also...
    Vanille! ♥

Vanille is a pedo she is going to rape Hope...Ciao *points* lol...do you know how to get the special item? The paper isn't clear...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    People are having problems knowing the story line? Watching the cutscenes has worked for me... o.O Or read the description that comes up when you load a saved game for a refresher on where you are.

Calder

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    People are having problems knowing the story line? Watching the cutscenes has worked for me... o.O Or read the description that comes up when you load a saved game for a refresher on where you are.

they use terms that I don't know the meaning to in the cut-scenes (they explain it a chapter after I needed to know wtf it was)...oh and I just fought a boss and it looked at me and I died so I give up until my pink eye is gone (it hurts when I play :() its hard to see the refreshers when you play right through it...

Forgotten_hope

ジョン
    Years
  • I love how I have no idea what the hell is going on yet the characters do...and I'm not as a fanboy I like my PS3 just fine but there not different

Yes. They are. You are arguing that a system that uses bluray discs and a system that uses dvd-quality and bink player are not different. Do you see something wrong with that? If not, you should.

May I ask WHERE you have seen both 360 and the PS3's graphics for this game? If you are using an online video, then that's why you think they're the same. It's not noticable on a small monitor, but on an HD TV, the difference is not arguable.

Anyway, if you pay attention to the cutscenes and read the log, it's perfectly understandable.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Yes. They are. You are arguing that a system that uses bluray discs and a system that uses dvd-quality and bink player are not different. Do you see something wrong with that? If not, you should.

May I ask WHERE you have seen both 360 and the PS3's graphics for this game? If you are using an online video, then that's why you think they're the same. It's not noticable on a small monitor, but on an HD TV, the difference is not arguable.

Anyway, if you pay attention to the cutscenes and read the log, it's perfectly understandable.

My god, enough of this ignorance.
    People like you get too worked up over small differences. Quit getting so fixated on defending stupid stuff like disc differences and just let it slide. Honestly; who cares? And what reason do the rest of us have to care about what you have to say on the whole stupid situation anyways?
    There are those who have an Xbox 360 and will happily play it on there, same goes for PS3.

Anyways,
    I'm starting to get into the flow of things. Chapter 4 was an absolute pain. That whole Vile Peaks was rather tedious and annoying, almost as much as Lake Bresha.
    Vanille is starting to grow on me, and I'm finding Sazh to be my favorite character thus far.
    I'm liking the song to the Scrap Processing place too!

Anyone who doesn't have the game, I would recommend it now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    My god, enough of this ignorance.
    People like you get too worked up over small differences. Quit getting so fixated on defending stupid stuff like disc differences and just let it slide. Honestly; who cares? And what reason do the rest of us have to care about what you have to say on the whole stupid situation anyways?
    There are those who have an Xbox 360 and will happily play it on there, same goes for PS3.
    Nope; it's not a small difference. 576p vs 1080p = MASSIVE difference.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Does it really matter -.-; The 'average' gamer probably won't be playing it on a large enough/high res. enough T.V. to tell the difference - and an issue like that isn't even a reason to buy the game. Now let's talk about the actually game and gameplay yes?

I've just got up to:
    Spoiler:

I'm only on Chapter 3 (Maybe 4?) but I think the level of difficulty is already good. Enemies tend to be hard the first time you face them, then gradually get nearer - then a boss appears and the battle is noticeably harder (even with 'minibosses').

One thing that annoys me so far is the rotation of characters >< How long til I have a say who is in my party?!

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Does it really matter -.-; The 'average' gamer probably won't be playing it on a large enough/high res. enough T.V. to tell the difference - and an issue like that isn't even a reason to buy the game. Now let's talk about the actually game and gameplay yes?

I've just got up to:
    Spoiler:

I'm only on Chapter 3 (Maybe 4?) but I think the level of difficulty is already good. Enemies tend to be hard the first time you face them, then gradually get nearer - then a boss appears and the battle is noticeably harder (even with 'minibosses').

One thing that annoys me so far is the rotation of characters >< How long til I have a say who is in my party?!
    Dual-Ravager. Switch to Ravager/Medic when health gets low, but make sure to be back to Dual Ravager when he brings his shield up for his little shield stance thing. Easy peasy.

Forgotten_hope

ジョン
    Years
  • This... is your response? Completely and totally over dramatic.
    You do realize you're arguing over pixels when there are much more important things to focus on, right?

If there was any one place in the world I could be ROFLing in regards to the foolishness your statement right now, it would be all over your TV.

NEXT.
    Look. We're allowed to talk about things pertaining to the game in this thread. One of those things is the graphics.

When someone is calling us "dumb" or "high" because we say the graphics are better on the PS3, we are going to defend ourselves, whether you like it or not. I do not enjoy ignorance, nor do I enjoy when people REFUSE to accept something even when facts are given to them. Thus, I will continue to argue about this until he realizes he is wrong, or at least until he stops insulting me about it whilst being wrong.

Gameplay:

I'm up to Chapter 4
    Spoiler:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    The thing that confused me at first was the fact that you have to hold the X button to move along the Crystarium. And if there's a fork, you have to hold the button and the d-pad in the direction you want to go. But you don't have to backtrack, so regardless of how you spend your points, you'll always go toward something you don't already have, making upgrading pretty straightforward. Most of the time, you just have to keep holding X until you run out of CP, and it'll give you whatever the icon goes over. Once you learn everything there is to learn on the path you're on, it automatically advances the icon up a connecting path you haven't been on yet without having to spend points backtracking.

And also, the new update made even the standard definition images much more clear, which leads to even the small text being alot easier to read. Big improvement from the import, where you could barely see the text in standard def because of how blurry it was.

And yes, Odin is a pain to beat. The game wants you to heal yourself to fill the Drive Gauge, but the only way it works is if you heal when your bar is in the yellow or red. And Potions don't cut it. You need to use healing magic to get the bar filled. So you need to attack and heal whenever you can get the increase. If you don't do both, you'll run out of time before you can fill the gauge, even if you heal constantly like the game wants you to.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    This... is your response? Completely and totally over dramatic.
    You do realize you're arguing over pixels when there are much more important things to focus on, right?

If there was any one place in the world I could be ROFLing in regards to the foolishness your statement right now, it would be all over your TV.

NEXT.
    lol internet tuff guy? maybe you're just too ignorant to understand facts; so let me make it a visual for you.

This is a 1080p image. That means it's comprised on 1920x1080 or 2,073,600 individual elements that make up the image:
    Spoiler:

This is a 576p image; 1024x576 or 589,824 elements. Yup, only 1/4 of the detail is afforded. Worse! It get's re-sized to 1080p when you feed a lower resolution image to a HDTV. So here's the image, re-sized to 576p and then enlarged back to 1080p.
    Spoiler:

Note the total lack of sharpness and detail around the elements such as the floating flowers; and the blades of grass - and this assumes that a TV upscaler can re-size as well as Photoshop (which it can't) and that all other things are equal - which they're not. The Xbox 360 videos are highly highly compressed using BINK video; they look like youtube videos at times.

So no, it's not a small deal, it's not something you can just write off. It's a MAJOR element of the game that is substantially sacrificed in the inferior Xbox 360 Port.

NEXT
    (owned ♥)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • {There was totally a quote here but I quoted the wrong person and cbf'd searching for the right one.}

:( Yeah, if you google around and check some of the comparisons several websites have done, the difference gets pretty obvious. I guess if you're playing on a small/crappy TV, it probably wouldn't be overly noticeable (and admittedly, it looks identical in most stills they've released), but in a lot of action sequences, the 360 version looked just horrible compared to the PS3. But if you only have the 360 version and nothing to compare it to, who cares? Just enjoy it for what it is.

I could easily head out and buy the 360 version right now but I'm waiting an extra month or two to get the PS3 version to see it in all its glory. Again, if you have no choice and only have a 360, then obviously getting that version is really the only thing to do. But if you do have the option of both, it's really a no-brainer to decide which copy to get.

/gets the hell out of the thread because this probably won't help her avoid spoilers for another two months 8D

Last edited:

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I got the game on release, but haven't gotten to play it as much as I'd like to have. So far it's amazing - I'm about 6 hours in and on Chapter 4. I have no problem with the linearity, it's no worse than FFX and I thought that game was amazing. The battle system is really fun, and the Crystarium reminds me of an advanced sphere grid.

And it looks amazing to boot, but you all knew that.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Got to chapter 3 so far. Game great. Linearity hasn't bothered me at all. FFX my favourite and its very linear.

I like pretty much all of the characters so far. Can't wait till I'm off work and get to play more. Graphics are amazing to.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Once you get to Chapter 11, the linearity disappears and you can do different things, like hunts and Chocobo digging in the massive Chapter 11 area.

One important thing to know though:

Spoiler:

As for power leveling:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back