• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen FireRed and LeafGreen, satisfactory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
  • I'm going to say nothing beats the classics. I mean it was great to relive R/B/Y in FR/LG but as many people said the game was just meh compared to well HG/SS or even the original experience which may be a personal thing. I did play it out, and I had a lot of pokemon to pal park which was prob the greatest usage for LG/FR

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Fr/Lg was a bit..Blegh. Of course, when you compare it to Hg/Ss, it seems quite...Horrible. But I liked the graphic change, and I like looking at my Pokemon with better color. Personally, I dont give a Pikachus tail about the music, since I usually listen to other music while playing Pokemon (No, im not donwplaying the Pokemon franchises music, its actually quite good, im just not that into instrumental since I like to sing along D:). The way I see it, its like putting your toe into a pool to test and see if its cold or warm. Thats what GameFreak was doing, they were testing the water. They wanted to see the reviews of a remake of an old game, especially the first ones, the ones that were the vangaurd of the Pokemon franchise. They also wanted to see if it would work, if people would like the graphics change and if people who played the old ones would like remakes, and for new players as well.

Since they didnt know exactly what to do, they pretty much just took the old game and gave it better graphics.

But, when you compare HG/SS to Fr/Lg, of course you would hate on Fr/Lg and love HG/SS, because of the endgame being so much more...More. But hey, I like both, and if Fr/Lg kick started the remakes, then I wont be one to diss them XD.

AllentheGuitarist

I don't even, sir.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Loved it, I just wish that there were more to it like in Gold and Silver (getting 16 badges just feels like there's more in the game)

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Since the eternal battery of Pokemon Red died since it was so old, I never really got to finish. I got up to the E4.

But it's kind of a half-and-half battle here. In FR/LG, I can play as my gender, the graphics are better, and some of the soundtracks sounded nice.

On the other hand, nothing can be more nostalgic then watching your rival's triange hair sweep side-to-side when he walks or the lavender town and lavender tower music.

..See a lot of people would ride on their bikes in lavender town but I actually liked it :3

elementalkeeper

PKMN HACKER
    Years
  • I find these games interesting but the sound is repetitive. It's like you hear it in every POKeMON game. The graphics are better than the RSE versions. Story is considerable. It would be nice to play it again cause there are new quests after beating the E4. Overall the game would be great except for the sound.

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
  • I played Firered before I played the original Red. And I really enjoyed it. I never have beaten it though. xD

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • In some ways, I guess. Perhaps it was the art or something but I wasn't very impressed with FRLG's general feel when I was playing it. It almost felt tacky or plasticy, if that's a word to describe it. It's a hard one to say really.

However, one thing I was hugely pleased with was the Sevii Islands. I think that just because of these, it has one of the best post-E4 storylines in the Pokémon franchise outside of HGSS and GSC.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • How did you feel when you first played through FRLG compared to playing RBGY?
    It felt amazing, better graphics and seeing the male and female sign on the Pokemon

Did you feel more should have been done with it?
    It was great that they put the Sevii Islands onto the games, but I wish that they put a Battle Frontier in the games

If you could change one thing with the game, what would that be?
    To Put a Battle Frontier in the game

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

I can agree with the above - Battle Frontier was definitely needed. However, I also think people who originally played Gen I games need to stop comparing them, and think of them as two completely different games, just with the same setting - happy memories are always going to override the beauty of the games, which is why I expect to end up hating any Hoenn remakes they produce. If you just appreciate them as two then-new games, rather than two remakes, they're pretty good.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
    Years
  • To be honest, I really liked Leaf Green. ... I just never knew it was a remake of R/G/B until I beat the Elite Four and was like "Why does this feel so familiar?!"

OscuroSky

OscuroSky~
    Years
  • I personally loved FR/LG, everything about it was great. Yeah Sure the Sevii Islands were a pain, but I really didn't mind it. The only thing I really hated about FR/LG is the fact you have to Catch 60 DIFFERENT Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2017
    Seeing this thread reminded me of my initial reaction to Fire Red. When I first played, I was underwhelmed by the difficulty and the pacing of the game. The presentation also felt bland, and lacked the spice of Ruby and Sapphire. Its tendency to aggressively help the player (the LR buttons, the Teachy TV; etc.) didn't help, as part of the fun of the originals was learning how the game works. I almost gave up on it early like I did Emerald (which I thought would be an entirely new experience from Ruby/Sapphire; stupid advertising!).

Years later, it proved to be a decent time waster. Whenever I went on vacation or was working with my dad, I always loved playing this during periods of inactivity, such as in the car. Side by side, I prefer the quirks of the originals over the tweaks of the remakes; as good as FR was, it just doesn't have the personality as the one with constant critical hits and a lopsided typing balance.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2015
    I personally liked these games, due to the fact it was my first 'proper' playthrough of Kanto, the 1st 3 sevii islands were a nice feature but I felt the others were uneeded to unlock trading to RSE -_-

Pretty much the same here. Remakes tend to give the newer players the chance to see what the older players saw, through fresh lenses.

Onyx_X

The Onyx Knight
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    I like them...sort of. They really let me down, though. I was reminded of the sickening mystery dungeon series...and I dislike the BIG HEADS. Nintendo, seriously: stop.
    Music wasn't great either, I'm agreeing to that. Should have made Johto accessible, rats to sevii.

ThePokeBoss

PokePimp
    Years
  • i just didnt like it... its set back into the day, and i know its suppose to revive the 1st gen pokemon... but no, you shouldnt do that unless it was for a good reason.. i know that the metal versions were bad, and thats a reason to bring them back. but they get boring after awhile.. or at least thats what i think

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    I loved FR and LG because of their crisp clean graphics and they are great games to nuzlocke with the potential teams at the end being extremely varied. The whiff of nostalgia from them I get from them is a bonus and I'm happily replaying LG for about the 5th time. The in-game dialogue is pretty sweet.

"Hey, you're not wearing shorts!"

Also, that strange feeling when the gym trainer in Celadon Gym asks if you were peeking in here when you are the female character. :/

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They were pretty cheaply made, probably because they were an experiement in this whole remake stuff.

The music was ho-hum rearrangements of the Gameboy music using the same instrument set as Ruby and Sapphire, and there was hardly any new real compositions - even the Sevii Isles uses recycled Gold and Silver compositions.

The graphics were probably the high point of the game compared to Ruby and Sapphire (that's not hard) and clearly show the artists knew their way around the GBA betterm but we can see that most of their time spent on making FR/LG's overworld with a new style and improved battle sprites for Kanto Pokémon, hence the general lack of graphical improvements to Emerald version.

The story is...there's no story, again. Hardly any effort was put in to bring the game up to the storytelling standards that they settled in to with Ruby and Sapphire aside from a short post-game area.

New game play features are few and far between aside from a comprehensive help system that should've been made standard in subsequent games.

Basically FR/LG proved that the idea could work, and HG/SS was what Game Freak could make when planning a remake on a much better budget and not dividing their team between two games as much (Emerald and FR/LG came out in the same year)

IAshKetchum

Pokémon master.
    Years
  • FR/LG were okay, but not a patch at all on the original R/B/Y games. I liked how they added the islands onto the game as an extra, that was pretty awesome. This game was what kinda started pushing me out of playing pokémon a few years ago when it was released.. definately my least favourite pokémon game. :/

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2011
    I think that overall, the remake could've been done alot better, like HG and SS. It didn't seem very exciting, that's all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back