• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Follow Me" Feature

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    The Following Feature was first introduced in Pokémon Yellow, where Pikachu, your starting Pokémon would always tag along behind you. This feature was later brought back in DPPt, but only to certain "cute" Pokémon and then later your starters. The only location it was possible to have them follow you was in Amity Square where they would find some interesting items for you to use for either contests or just berries. Recently, the Following Feature's idea was expanded to all 493 Pokémon (including shiny counterparts and alternate forms) in HG/SS. However, as far as the eye can see, Black and White doesn't seem to carry over the Following Feature.

Would you be pleased if the Following Feature was removed or would you have rather they kept it included, but this time as an optional choice for the player? If anything like DPPt, would you like a specific area where your Pokémon or certain Pokémon can follow you and collect items?

I think the Following Feature has been pretty much removed as far as all locations are concerned. It's a shame, because I actually liked this feature; especially since it's the only thing that kept me off my bike in HG/SS. I guess I would be okay if it's gone though as from what I can tell, a lot of the new graphics and 3D appeal has been winning my heart over. If anything, I wouldn't mind another location such as Amity Square like back in DPPt, but I'd prefer they not exclude it to only certain Pokémon. :\

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    They might have it as a selectable option. I think that would be cool. I wished they did that in HG/SS.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    I really want it to be in it, because it actually made me look at my Pokemon differently and actually bond with them.

I will be greatly dissapointed if it is taken out, 3-D features or not.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I'd rather them not remove it as it's a great feature to have. If anything, there should be an option to keep it on or off. It's really the only reasonable thing to do. I'd find it very odd for them to remove such a feature after putting so much attention towards it with the release of HG/SS.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I didn't like the follow-me feature. I found that it was only good for Pokémon Yellow. At the time, I loved having Pikachu be able to follow me around and thought it was cool, because before Yellow, the only version I had was Blue and that wasn't available. It was something new to me.

I didn't really enjoy the fact that it was re-introduced in HeartGold and SoulSilver. It was much more of a disappointment than a joyful feature for me to have. Having any Pokémon follow me, though very logical since some Pokémon probably don't like having to go into a Pokéball, just... didn't appeal to me as much as it should have. Based on what I've seen from the screencaps and the videos that were released from the gameplay, I don't see that happening and it makes me glad. I think it's an interesting feature and one that generally made the game better... it didn't appeal to me like it should have. Maybe it was because I was so used to having Pokémon in their PokéBalls? Maybe it's just because I'm boring? Who knows?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I'd rather them not remove it as it's a great feature to have. If anything, there should be an option to keep it on or off. It's really the only reasonable thing to do. I'd find it very odd for them to remove such a feature after putting so much attention towards it with the release of HG/SS.

I can see the logic though, seeing the overworlds. They are all at a new angle, so they'd have to be redone for the Pokemon. I'd prefer them adding some of the new changes I've seen so far and more. Maybe they'll add it back for the third game.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I enjoyed that feature of HGSS, I wish it was in this game, but I'm pretty sure it won't be. Either way, this game will be AMAZING!

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I can see the logic though, seeing the overworlds. They are all at a new angle, so they'd have to be redone for the Pokemon. I'd prefer them adding some of the new changes I've seen so far and more. Maybe they'll add it back for the third game.

Very true. I can definitely see them skipping out on this feature for the first two games and just simply getting the basics done, then finally like all other 3rd versions, add some cool upgrades.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    The new graphics and such have won me over regardless but I still hope it's returned. I loved to just walk around with my pokemon comparing sizes, collecting Shiny Leaves and just feeling generally awesome. It was part of the reason I loved HGSS so much so I really hope it makes some sort of re appearance in the future.

And they're just so darn cute!! =x

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Very true. I can definitely see them skipping out on this feature for the first two games and just simply getting the basics done, then finally like all other 3rd versions, add some cool upgrades.

Yeah, which would be every nice.

Though now that I think of it, the game does have a much more realistic size feel to it. That may cause problems if they stick with that...

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Yeah, which would be every nice.

Though now that I think of it, the game does have a much more realistic size feel to it. That may cause problems if they stick with that...

Yeah, but I doubt it's anything that would prove to be too problematic for the dev teams. :P

Years
    If there were some story-based reason for not having it I would be fine without it. It's not like in the real world you can bring your dog with you everywhere you go so it would make sense if they had 'pokemon-free' areas even though it's a pokemon game.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    I'd be unhappy if it's removed, so make it an optional option.
    -Turns on- Pokemon follows, -Turns off- No more.
    I actually aren't used to my Diamond and Platinum now when I go back without a Pokemon following behind.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Not really bothered, Tbh.
    It was only cool for the first five minutes in HG/SS.
    I don't see the point in it.

FloatingClouds

Champion CSSer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2011
    I would rather them keep it but I don't at the same time, as the walking behind you feature is great, but the levels of three-d compared to hg are gigantic! I mean in hg/ss the pixels just changed as you moved, but in black/white the levels of three-d are so big they will have to make all these different sprites instead of using old hg/ss sprites....

Years
    I hope they keep it/bring it back ;w;!
    I loved the Follow Me function. It made playing HG/SS more interactively fun for me n_n~
    I really will miss it. ):

Back