• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Follow Me" Feature

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I love the feature, and it gives me a reason to not use my bike, but if they didn't put it in, then I wouldn't lose any sleep. If they did, I'd be happy, but either way, it isn't really all that important to the game.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I'm really hoping it's optional in B/W, which to be honest it should've been in the first place. That way everyone's happy, those that like the feature and those that don't.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It really doesn't bother me either. I'm used to it in SS, but when I play Pearl, I don't notice that it's gone. It was a fun feature, always interesting to see what a certain Pokemon will do or react to in a particular environment, or to see how they even felt about the player character. It gave the Pokemon more of a personality that wasn't in the other games because there were so rare opportunities to see what they were thinking in previous games, but in HG/SS, they were right there to "ask".

That's really what I'm going to miss about the feature if it actually is gone (I'm not making any definite guesses about Black/White). There was more personality for the Pokemon, like my Geodude's wishing of playing with me or how my Slowpoke rolls around in the grass every chance she gets. It was just more fun.

But if it's gone, it's gone. I'll just go back to using my imagination to fill in my team's personality, or maybe the games have another feature that adds to it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I am going to be so depressed/annoyed if they don't bring the follow feature back. D: I'm not overly impressed by the increased 3D in this version which is the main excuse I can think of for not including it. I liked gen 4's subtle 3D but it looks horrible "in action" from what I've seen thus far in screenshots and video of gen 5. :/

I must admit the only reason I got through all of HGSS was because the Pokémon follow you. ._. Pulling that option may make the game less fun for me, shallow as that is.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    If they allow it to be optional, then I'd be happy. Although it's fun with smaller Pokémon indoors, I don't like it outside because there's a half-second lag where the Pokémon returns to its Pokéball, something not present in any game prior (which seriously annoyed me).

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I will miss it terribily if it was removed. But if they removed that feature that means that they have something better in B&W. I hope that the "follow me" feature is an option now.

Years
    I love the Follow Me feature, and I really hope that it isn't fully removed. I do see so far that it looks like it might be, but maybe its an optional feature? I hope so.

lucy_goosey

10 years and counting...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2011
    Oh I hope they do! I really enjoyed having my Pokemon follow me around. It made me feel closer to them in a way.

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
    Years
    Gamefreak is always coming up with new things, Im guessing that they will have some sort of feature to do that, but since it is in a 3d concept it makes it more difficult to do some feature like that.

Ωmega

Four score and seven years ago
    Years
    I think that Black and White will have the Follow Me feature, but as a selectable option. As others have said, it kept me off my bike because I loved watching my Shiny Typhlosion follow me around in HGSS. :D

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i really love this feature. i hope it does come back in the new games. maybe as a way to turn it on and off so people who dont like having pokemon follow them dont. i didnt like amity square just because i could walk with the pokemon i wanted to.

NatureKeeper

I want it BADLY. All Pokémon are cute. It's sometimes nice to be optional, though. I don't feel like entering places with Giratina.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I don't mind having a 'follow me' feature. Although, I think they should add new features to the 'follow me' feature like all Pokemon in your party able to follow. idk, maybe its just me. XD

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I would be disappointed if the Pokemon following behind you was removed, as I enjoyed its presence in HG/SS after a while.

What should happen though is an option to have it on or off and the option to choose which Pokemon follows you, instead of whoever's at the front of the party.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yeah, I would like them to keep this feature, it was a great feature, the current scans don't show any signs of it but there could be an option to turn it off or on or it could be introduced later on in the game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Chances are IF it is; it is a selectable option. For any pre-release screens, it's probably turned off as to not show off any new unknown Pokemon.

Question, if what you're saying is true, why couldn't they just have a Pokemon follow that has already been revealed, like Zoroark, Zorua or any of the starters.

Or maybe even a Pokemon from a previous region.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT the feture in it, but I don't get why they haven't shown it yet. They showed it in the FIRST clip of Hg/Ss.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    It was a great feature of HG/SS in my opinion, I felt a greater connection to my pokemon when they could follow me around :(

Back