• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Follow Me" Feature

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I would love if they brought back that feature!
    There is nothing more fun then walking with your Pokemon :D
    Mostly when there Big Legendary Pokemon XD

Satoshi_poketo monsta

Pokemon Master.
    Years
    I'm not sure if that Follow Me feature will stay at the first time, But when the Poke`Beach said something like,"On the Celebi and Zorua page, one of the screenshots shows your Celebi next to you and Zorua next to another Trainer. This probably confirms that you can have your Pokemon walk behind you again, like in HeartGold and SoulSilver." I don't know but I think it does going to happen.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Since I loved it... it will be sorely missed.

I don't see how they can mesh the new 3D style with walking Pokemon. They'd have to add a bunch of new sprites for overworld, which is a lot harder than how they did the smaller ones for HGSS.

So long out-of-pokeball pokemon :(

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The only thing that has our hopes up sucks because it is an event... had it just been a random Pokemon Over-world then it would be different... ugh!

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
    I think the game should have it, but with the condition that it could be turned off from the options menu or controlled from the pokemon menu by selecting which pokemon you could allow to follow you if your leader faints. And also because the feature can get annoying when you try to pick something up or turn around and your pokemon is in the way.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think it will make a comeback, just not in this generation. Or, only while contests are occuring or something like that. Isshu could have different roaming Pokemon rules or something as an excuse. D:

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Since I loved it... it will be sorely missed.

I don't see how they can mesh the new 3D style with walking Pokemon. They'd have to add a bunch of new sprites for overworld, which is a lot harder than how they did the smaller ones for HGSS.

So long out-of-pokeball pokemon :(
    Yeah, but I thought the 3D was still going to be limited. As in it's only implemented in some areas - maybe more than the previous games, but still not 100% everywhere. Or was I wrong?

~Chiramii~

Chiramii!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    Well,
    If you look on Serebii there's a character with a Celebi next to them in one of the pictures.
    It could just be a picture of the pokemon transferring BUT,It could also be limited to the areas of where you can walk around with your pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    All the scans I've seen from the gameplay don't show any Pokemon behind the player and that makes me sad, since I loved it in HG/SS. I had always wanted your Pokemon to follow you again like Pikachu did in Yellow, so when I found out they did in HG/SS it made me even happier that I had actually bought it--I was tempted not to at first. D/P/Pt made me frustrated that your Pokemon could only follow you in Amity Square, and even then only "cute" ones were allowed to.

I really hope they include the Follow Me feature in Black and White--there's still time to make changes!--but if not, the game still looks promising and I'm excited for its release either way.

.Awesome

Awesome.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 11, 2010
    Maybe they'll make it an optional feature in B/W. The feature was alright, though. =\ I mean, it was cool and everything, but it annoyed me when my Lugia was too big to fit in houses. Making things too realistic. :\

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    With modifications to the system, I would want it back. First off, there should be a size system, like in the Mystery Dungeon series. Only certain sized Pokemon should be allowed out in certain locations. Secondly, and my biggest erk: Option. It should be purely optional. Sometimes I don't want my Pokemon following me. Third: It shouldn't have to be in your first slot to be out of it's ball.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    With modifications to the system, I would want it back. First off, there should be a size system, like in the Mystery Dungeon series. Only certain sized Pokemon should be allowed out in certain locations. Secondly, and my biggest erk: Option. It should be purely optional. Sometimes I don't want my Pokemon following me. Third: It shouldn't have to be in your first slot to be out of it's ball.

Exactly. Then it'd be perfect. I always got annoyed that it had to be first in your slot as well. Sometimes I wanted one to follow me, but not battle. I agree, it should be optional if they include it.

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
    Years
    I don't see what's bad about it. Sure, you might not care about bonding with your Pokemon, but I liked it. And I'm really tired of the Pokemon guys taking away features and going backwards. I mean, they introduced Day and Night in Silver/Gold/Crystal but took it back for Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald? Whyyy? And now they might be taking away the 'Follow Me' feature, after fully utilizing it? Yellow - Just Pikachu. GSC - Nada, SRE - Nope, DPPt - Cute Pkmn in Amity Square, and HGSS - All de teim. So now we have BW - Nah. Well, that's a fail if I ever did sawed one. Sure, they can make it optional for everyone who's like "wahhh, I hate it, because it makes things sorta annoying 3% of the time," but everyone else who is like, "Oh, you're holding something? Annnnnd you wanna give it to me? Aw freekin sweet! A berry!" it'd be cool to keep around.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
    If there were some story-based reason for not having it I would be fine without it. It's not like in the real world you can bring your dog with you everywhere you go so it would make sense if they had 'pokemon-free' areas even though it's a pokemon game.
    Yes, and you also can not capture your dog in a poke-ball, the poke world is unrealistic, and thats what makes it fun. also, you couldnt bring certian oversized pokemon indoors.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    In this video there's something (a Pokémon?) running behind the girl! So maybe it IS an option :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x993M0UzRrs&feature=player_embedded (at 10 sec)

"Follow Me" Feature

I just lol'd....really hard

Years

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    the DS can handle it
    after all nintendo make the games for the DS, not the DS for the games

ill bet a million dollars,that their either makin it optional "go in menu, select pokemon, select walk, then select store to put it back" or their just leavin it out this time,and in the 3rd game itll make its glorious return

i saw a bunch of negative comments, and wat i have to say to those people:
    youve CLEARLY not used it to evolve a friendship pokemon, my golbat i caught as a zubat lv2 evolved in a few levels afterwards WITHOUT a soothe bell, or friendship berries
    the follow me feature made it possible to evolve friendship pokemon faster& get the full effect without the need of berries& items.

the follow me feature got old after awhile, but who can really say theyve walked across the regions with all 493 pokemon :P
    ill continue to catch new pokemon& watch them chase after me :D
    i loved the feature, to be honest i was obsessed with cyndaquil followin me durin the first part lol

i know it would be alot of pokemon to add, but i think its worth it dont you?
    id love to see my lil grass snakey slither after me :3

Back