• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Garchomp is soon to be an... UBer? O_O;

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Well then, either a UBL rating will be made or Garchomp is joining Mewtwo...

Interestingly enough, I can see Chomp running a different set or two in ubers, as EQ doesn't hit much, and Crunch may give Psychic coverage. It may also cause Rayquaza to run DD > SD.

EDIT: Look, I personally don't care if Chomp is moved to ubers. It would help some other Pokes see more play, but it really doesnt matter. Posting stupid "counters" isn't going to make experienced battlers think any differently.

Last edited:

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    I think Garchomp is too UGLY he needs to be banned

I vote the mods boot the next person who posts something like this. You thinking that Garchomp is ugly is not a reason to ban him. If you want to post, say something useful to the debate. Garchomp being so overpowered that all teams carry a counter or two for him is a useful statement that can be backed up with facts, Garchomp being ugly is your opinion.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I vote the mods boot the next person who posts something like this.

Agreed. Garchomp is a badass, and anyone who disagrees is retarded.

flamehaze94

Jeste!
    Years
    Interestingly enough, I can see Chomp running a different set or two in ubers, as EQ doesn't hit much, and Crunch may give Psychic coverage. It may also cause Rayquaza to run DD > SD.

Earthquake still has various uses, such as hitting the assorted steel types like Dialga, Jirachi, and Scizor. In fact I see the StoneEdge/Crunch/Outrage/EQ @ CB set may work somewhat well in Ubers despite the prominence of Groudon and Lugia running around.

I have no qualms about a Garchomp-less ladder, though I'll miss abusing the guy. =(

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    Agreed. Garchomp is a badass, and anyone who disagrees is retarded.

Awesome pick, but not quite what I meant. I'm just tired of people posting that they think Garchomp is ugly so he should be banned for that reason. Whether or not something looks cool is not the basis for uber status. I think Magmortar looks like an overweight red retard but do I think he should be uber? NO! I don't. I've killed that argument, so everyone stop making it!

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
    moonlightknight said:
    I think Garchomp is to UGLY and needs to be banned
    I think garchomp looks sweet as is

Garchop is powerful, but not to powerful for OU, sure 38% usage is big.. But whats was blissey's usage, or gengar, both of these pokes have very high usage, yet there is not much whinning about them.
    I think all these complaints finally being taken seriously is because the metagame is becoming more sweeper based instead of stall/tank. With these more delicate sweeper running around and trashing other sweeper/tanks, garchomp is at his best with his massive attack and speed class of his own he is the primary sweeper. He can come in and sweep some people's team (once there garchomp counter is down), but as the metagame on shoddy at least will shift back into stall (or a greater abundance of trick room) by around september, whinning about this trans-uber will calm down.
    Most likely he will become an uber (i would like to see him as an uber, but hey), but he will eventually come back to OU since some wall become to powerful, around christmasish...

All I'm saying if he is moved then pandora's box will be opened, and the movement will start. Personally leave garchomp in OU, and live with it...

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    Have you sir ever had your ass handed to you by a Blissey? No? That's weird. If that was a valid comparison a Blissey should have swept your team at some point.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Awesome pick, but not quite what I meant.

I know that, but I was taking you out of context. Garchomp looks badass, and anyone who says otherwise should be punched in the face.

I think garchomp looks sweet as is

Garchop is powerful, but not to powerful for OU, sure 38% usage is big.. But whats was blissey's usage, or gengar, both of these pokes have very high usage, yet there is not much whinning about them.
    I think all these complaints finally being taken seriously is because the metagame is becoming more sweeper based instead of stall/tank. With these more delicate sweeper running around and trashing other sweeper/tanks, garchomp is at his best with his massive attack and speed class of his own he is the primary sweeper. He can come in and sweep some people's team (once there garchomp counter is down), but as the metagame on shoddy at least will shift back into stall (or a greater abundance of trick room) by around september, whinning about this trans-uber will calm down.
    Most likely he will become an uber (i would like to see him as an uber, but hey), but he will eventually come back to OU since some wall become to powerful, around christmasish...

All I'm saying if he is moved then pandora's box will be opened, and the movement will start. Personally leave garchomp in OU, and live with it...

Do... you actually have any idea of what you're talking about?

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    If beauty would be important in ranking, Gorebyss and Milotic would be high-tier Ubers a long time ago :P .
    Anyway, who is normally used to counter Garchomp?

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    Have to agree with ac here. Shadowman, please do a little research next time. ._.

This reminds me.

Not only has Garchomp been the #1 most-used Pokemon in OU since Febuary, the gap between it, and second place (Gengar) has actually been widening. Garchomp has actually been attributed, as one of the main causes for a shrinking OU (since the more Garchomp takes up the top 75% of usage, the less space there is for other Pokemon). And Garchomp usage continues to rise monthly.

How is that not scary?

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    @Gorebyss

As we've been saying, there isn't a definite 'counter' to Chomp- one of the reasons why he's being moved in the first place. Still, there are Pokes that can kill him. Cresselia can survive a hit or two, and Ice Beam back, as can Slowbro and Suicune. Come to think of it, not many other Pokemon can really wall Chomp... at least Weavile and Mamo can revenge kill with Ice Shard (Starmie and Scarftran can kill non-Scarf versions).

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
    If people keep moving good Pokemon to Ubers, then we'll eventually all be stuck with Butterfrees... But only if you haven't taught it Psychic.

EDIT: I think the "lack of counters" argument is BS. If you know how to do it, you can take him out with a Skarmory.

SmashGood

Me... SMASH!!
    Years
    If people keep moving good Pokemon to Ubers, then we'll eventually all be stuck with Butterfrees... But only if you haven't taught it Psychic.

EDIT: I think the "lack of counters" argument is BS. If you know how to do it, you can take him out with a Skarmory.

Go read my comment, back on page three.

EDIT:Skarm won't be doing much if it has Fire Fang + Swords Dance or especially Fire Blast ready.

ShadowDragonTrainer

Ultimate Dragon Champion
    Years
    Right, Garchomp is Sinnoh's equivilent to Dragonite. If you disagree with me, just dont post a reply.

Grachomp can be taken down with Ice moves as many people have posted but what about Dragon moves??

These are super effective against Garchomp so to counter it why not use a Dialga or Palkia?

If you dont have one of these 2 Pokemon (if you dont you are insane) go to Granny Wilma's House in between Celestic Town and Solaceon Town and learn Draco Meteor, the most powerful Dragon-type move.

Frankly, I think Garchomp is one of the best in the game and if you think otherwise, you are CRAZY! :D

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Another reason why I feel him banned. Most arguments for actually countering him seems to invole revenge killing, or some sort of poke sacrifice. Not a safe bet for me.

Well that's how the metagame has been lately and those kinds of things can actually work. husk and ipl went #1 with teams whose only defenses were revenge killers. Actually, that's why I think this "no counters" thing is a little ridiculous - outside of stall maybe, using 100% counters is practically obsolete (and stall is not common right now).

On top of that, Garchomp is actually easier to revenge kill as Outrage traps him 50% of the time. Also, sweepers like Lucario and Gyarados don't have to worry about a priority move that hits upon a 4x weakness. Garchomp's unique speed tier saves it from a lot of slower sweepers like Porygon-Z and Salamence, but it certainly doesn't save him from choice scarfers or Ice Shard, both of which decimate Garchomp.

That's basically why I don't think Garchomp is uber. Garchomp's speed, while good, stops it from sweeping teams (especially given the current state of the metagame) and he's not too difficult to revenge kill. The only way to boost its speed (outside of BPing) is a choice scarf, and that set isn't the reason why people want it banned.

Also about Sand Veil, since it has been brought up a few times, it should be out of the picture. Why? Well okay, Gliscor has Swords Dance and Sand Veil, so its counters could miss and allow Gliscor to sweep. Is SD Gliscor as powerful as garchomp? Of course not! Still, that Ice Beam could miss and Gliscor could sweep your team. Yeah Garchomp's annoying, but half the time it isn't even used with SS.

But again, Garchomp will probably be banned anyways just because of its effect on the metagame (though I personally believe people unnecessarily overprepare for it, but I can't control that lol) and it probably deserves to be banned.

Just wanted to say that, even though I know my side is kind of doomed in this case. lol

Also above poster...read a bit into the matter before posting things like that =/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back