• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Garchomp is soon to be an... UBer? O_O;

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerdSparks

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    to be honest quad weakness for an uber is fail. garchomp is very easy to beat even it its yache berry. the most effective way of beating it is using a tank/wall that can lower it to about 1/2 health, so that your sweeper can kill it regardless of yache berry. for the scarf version just use a tank with ice beam like mesprit, for band/chainchomp use a pokemon like weavile/mamoswine.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    Garchomp has limbo'd Ubers for so long...I've never used it, or even Heracross, or heck, even Bronzong! Don't ask...I'm just me. ^^

Anyway, Garchomp is an absolute terror in the OU metagame, and it usually kills something, or dang, even a whole team.

CBer: Excellent
    Scarf Revenge Killer: Excellent
    SDer: Excellent and sweeps everything sometimes
    BulkyChomp (Hey, it has a good typing and better base defenses than Swampert): Your call

Garchomp has enough in each stat to pose a threat in nearly every category aside from special attacking, and there's Chain Chomp for that. The only thing ultimately preventing it from thrashing the metagame is its 102 base speed, which is still killer. Its defenses make it quick and powerful, and 350+ HP without EVs isn't something to just sneeze at and walk away, coupled with around 200 sp.def without EVs. It has caused the metagame to run certain moves due to its massive threat level to the metagame.

Countering Garchomp isn't that easy. Even Smogon says that there isn't really a counter for Garchomp in the Counters section, but gives suggestions to halt its sweep. Cresselia can set up reflect, but come in on a CB Outrage, and your Chomp counter is gone. Weavile can outspeed and revenge Garchomp with CB Ice Shard, but 2 things hinder that, and they are Sand Veil and the presence of Yache Berry.

As for my opinion, I'm unconcerned on where it goes. I don't use it, and it would only benefit me at that point. I say it's Uber material, probably just over the line of OU, but I couldn't say for sure.

Now for counter sayings.

@lilsparks: Okay, so let's say you bring in your wall, aka Milotic while Garchomp Swords Dances. EQ is a 2HKO while your Ice Beam will fail due to Yache Berry. Cresselia can't do damage quick enough, and SD Outrage is a 2HKO while Yache saves the dragon. Who else are you going to implement in this situation?

NerdSparks

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    i agree with what you say but moving garchomp to uber would only make bring up another pokemon that people would think was unfair (much like dragonite was in RBY XD)

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    to be honest quad weakness for an uber is fail.

Raaaaaaaaaayquaza.

garchomp is very easy to beat even it its yache berry. the most effective way of beating it is using a tank/wall that can lower it to about 1/2 health, so that your sweeper can kill it regardless of yache berry.

Might you find us a good tank that doesn't usually get 2HKO'd by YacheChomp? =P

i agree with what you say but moving garchomp to uber would only make bring up another pokemon that people would think was unfair (much like dragonite was in RBY XD)

It goes without saying that something's going to end up taking Chomp's spot as #1 OU Pokemon, but it's not necessarily going to be considered unfair. Just because Garchomp's gone doesn't mean the current things are any more powerful.

Last edited:

NerdSparks

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    yes rayquaza does have a a quad weakness but his stats surpass garchomp's to make up for that. iirc swampert/mesprit can all live a single SD dragon claw/eq

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
    A lot of people are saying that Garchomp shouldn't be an uber because he will stink in ubers. That's a pretty dumb arguement. Ubers is supposed to be very unbalanced, its a banlist for OU. Like look at Manaphy, no one uses him in ubers due to its pitiful stats compared to the rest, but Manaphy would be a beast in OU, with a mighty 100 base sp.atk+Surf+Tail Glow+Rain+STAB. Also don't forget hydration, which makes him invulnerable to any status condition in the rain.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    Exactly, and ubers is mainly unbalanced because it's the only way that OU stays balanced. Garchomp is getting to be so common, with so few weaknesses and the ability to completely destroy people, he's disbalancing the metagame a little bit.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Okay seriously what the heck is Smogon thinking? I mean in that case why not just make Milotic an Uber too? D:

THIS IS MADNESS! O_O

Well dude you have to realize that a Ice attack has a big potential to put it out of commission. o-o; I don't personally use a Garchomp but I know that if this keeps up they will definitely Uberfy Mence. (Which I do use... >.<; ) I also don't understand why they do it to Chomp... and not to Cresselia or Milotic D: Cresselia has Moonlight and Rest (Lum Berry is abuse...), Milotic has Marvel Scale, Recover AND Hypnosis. o-o; I see a really big thing there.

I also see this happening to Metagross. o-o;

Well, I just think that this is going to lead to something worse. I mean they did it to Deoxys A form o-o; (That thing dies to Sucker Punch.)
    Know anything that runs Sucker Punch besides Spiritomb, Honchkrow, Absol, and Toxicroak?

Ubers should be Pokes with 410+ stats >.>

Fair would be putitng Milo in Ubers o.O;

I don't understand why they put those kind of labels on certain pokemon either... Anyone should be able to use any pokemon they want. It's their game, they paid for it, they should be able to do whatever they want with it...

I think they should make another tier in the middle of Uber and OU. o-o; That would probably be the best in a situation like this.

Nintendo should actually release tiers... O_O
    No they should not.

Garchomp would get tossed in the Uber Tier. I can easily take out garchomp with my Lemonade(Jolteon) who uses a Choice Specs HP Ice, Modest and all.

but so can most other pokemon if they are trained properly and have a tactical moveset.

its like here is my team.. its all nice and neat.. good movesets... IVs EVs.. whole nine yards... wait... did you prepare for Garchomp ... O No he wrecks your team...
    BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO PREPARE FOR ANY OTHER POKEMON WHEN MAKING A TEAM AMIRITE

well, you only need a powerful Ice pokemon to defeat garchomp, don't you? As Garchomp is Dragon/Ground, Ice pokemon could defeat it, if the Ice pokemon isn't defeated first though.

to be honest quad weakness for an uber is fail. OLOL RAYQUAZA AND HO-OH, garchomp is very easy to beat even it its yache berry. the most effective way of beating it is using a tank/wall that can lower it to about 1/2 health, so that your sweeper can kill it regardless of yache berry. for the scarf version just use a tank with ice beam like mesprit, for band/chainchomp use a pokemon like weavile/mamoswine.

Garchomp is ugly

Posts like these are the reason I hate the Diamond and Pearl forum. If you have no idea what you're talking about, please don't argue.

As for the ban, I don't care for Garchomp much. It's probably because I don't battle enough (and therefore don't see him much), but he doesn't really scare me. :/

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    yes rayquaza does have a a quad weakness but his stats surpass garchomp's to make up for that.

But you said, "quad weakness for an uber is phail."

If it comes down to stats making up for it, the question'd be if Chomp's bulkyness, Speed, and offensive might is enough to make the threshold for too broken for OU.

iirc swampert/mesprit can all live a single SD dragon claw/eq

Yeah. So you have to sacrifice your Swampert (which is 2HKO'd by SD Earthquake) or Mesprit (which is 2HKO'd by SD Dragon Claw) to bring Chomp within range of getting killed by the sweeper. And guess what? Chomp can just switch out for something that can take your sweeper on. You end up having to lose a Pokemon just to bring Chomp within range of being killed by another, which isn't guaranteed even then (especially considering Sand Veil).

That's easy?

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    We're in different boats about Garchomp sighting AC: I see one every game I play pretty much, and it is one of the only reasons why I run Ice Beam + Reflect on Cressy (And DDMence/Nite). However, we're on the same general concept that we don't care where it's placed.

SmashGood

Me... SMASH!!
    Years
    The idea that a ban on Garchomp would lead to more bannings is a logical fallacy known as Slippery Slope:

"The slippery slope fallacy is also known as the 'unjustified projection.' The argument is made that a first step will inevitably lead to another, usually undesirable, final outcome. If there is inadequate evidence that this outcome will follow, beware-you are facing a slippery slope fallacy. Taking an argument all the way to the end is often a great way to determine the argument's validity. Demand evidence that one outcome necessarily follows from the first step.

We don't know that a ban on handguns will lead to a ban on hunting rifles and other weapons. We can't say that legalizing abortion will lead to murdering the old and the physically and mentally handicapped. What evidence supports these outcomes? Each argument rushes downhill to a conclusion that is not supported by valid evidence. The slippery slope argument is tricky because it relies on future events, and only future events will verify or refute the prediction. Arguments that project unjustifiably are also simplistic because they ignore the dissimilarities between first and last steps, and because they ignore the complexity of developments in any long chain of events." -
    2001, Oregonians of Rationality

The idea that Salamence is threatened is not even part of why Garchomp should or should not be banned. There is nothing that links the two to where if one is listed as an Uber, so shall all of these. No matter what is said, Garchomp will always offer something different than any other poke; Same goes for Salamence or any other.

All I'm trying to show is that that is not a valid defense for keeping Garchomp around. That if, 'Garchomp is made an Uber, others will follow! We might as well call UU the new OU!' There would have to be debates for each and every one in question.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    The idea that a ban on Garchomp would lead to more bannings is a logical fallacy known as Slippery Slope:

Kinda agreeing with this. If Garchomp's ban were to be a catalyst for other Pokemon arising, then Garchomp would have to be a check for that Pokemon. For example:

Let's say that if Garchomp is banned, that Salamence would take its place as an overpowered powerhouse, and be up next for a ban. That would be impossible, as Garchomp isn't the only check to that Pokemon. There are other Pokemon that can counter/ kill Salamence, such as Cresselia, Suicune, Weavile, or Swampert (don't fight me on these, I'm kinda making this up. Just pretend that these Pokemon actually can counter Sally, because I know there are a number of others that can.)- Garchomp's ban wouldn't affect those Pokemon's ability to defeat Salamence, therefore, Salamence would stay in check. This is the same for almost all other Pokemon- Garchomp may prove as a check to a few of those Pokemon, but there are others that check those Pokemon as well.

We might as well call UU the new OU!'

Out of context, but we may as well, with Aerodactyl and Weezing UU.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Choice Scarf Cresselia = Garchomp counter. Oh what now! (If you take that seriously I will do everything in my power to run you out of this thread lol :P) To its credit it does beat the uncounterable set :P

I really wish I had a link to MoP's post awhile back about this but I'm too lazy to search Smogon. Garchomp will probably be banned anyways. It's really easy to play around and even easier to revenge kill though. I compared it to SD FO Cross and all I ever get is "Garchomp is a lot faster and half the time he can switch out of Outrage." Interesting, because all of the time Heracross can switch out and decimate every slow wall in the game. Garchomp is either trapped and revenge killed, or its sweep is temporarily stopped (and at around 50% health it's a lot harder to switch in).

Yeah SD FO cross dies quicker and is easily revenge killed, but Garchomp is easy to revenge kill. Its yache berry will probably be gone, so feel free to ice shard it to hell. About every choice scarfer in the game outspeeds it can can KO it (assuming that your counter wore it down with an Ice Beam to break its berry before biting the dust to Outrage).

what I'm saying is that Garchomp has the ability to pretty much destroy every slow wall in the game with the uncounterable YacheOutrage chomp. However, various revenge killers can stop it from sweeping teams.

Also, remember that the metagame is highly offensive. Garchomp can take a beating repeatedly switching in on certain pokemon (for example, it is known to do great against SDluke, but if you switch in on LO Close Combat half of your health is gone,and all of a sudden you aren't uncounterable). Garchomp is very bulky, but even a lot of walls can't stand up to sweeping powerhouses that exist these days.

Quite frankly, I prefer both CBchomp and Scarfchomp to most any variant of SDchomp. BTW special mention goes out to Bronzong, who can survive one SD Fire Fang and sleep or blow up on Garchomp.

Also, with most teams being offensive these days, the idea of countering something isn't as important as it used to be.

Honestly though I would not be sad to see it go. It is the most powerful pokemon in OUs and it is on more than 1/3 of teams. Peopole are so paranoid about it and a lot of people overprepare. That is "over centralization," so maybe it should be banned. I just don't think that SDchomp is THAT much better than other fearsome sweepers like Salamence, Lucario, and Gyarados.

BTW I expect Garchomp to be banned after this month's ladder without Garchomp is over. Usually a counter and something to revenge kill it as a safety net works just fine, but I guess other people don't feel that way. I mean that's what I did with the presidents team and it worked just fine.

Yeah that's pretty much what I think. I know you all disagree but eh, just wanted to share my thoughts :P

BTW I haven't read through all of this thread, but if anybody is using the "Cress comes in to counter SDchomp and eats CB Outrage and dies in two hits so there, no counters" argument, you aren't thinking. Yeah CBchomp beats cresselia, but CBchomp isn't the reason people want garchomp uber. Not only that, but Garchomp isn't the only pokemon wherte one pokemon can't counter all of its sets. Take Lucario for example. Yeah Gliscor and weezing beat up SDluke, but if it's specsluke, they die. Just to say that in case somebody has or somebody wants to say that.

EDIT: For the recrod I'm not saying SD FO cross is the threat Garchomp is. It's the best analogy I could come up with lol

I do think Garchomp should be banned because it really affects peoples' teams these days. I don't think it SHOULD though, which is more what I'm trying to say I'm thinking. lol it's only a matter of time before that backlash comes :(

Last edited:

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    I haven't been more insulted to read the American language in quite some time. The biggest problem is that people are LITERALLY IGNORING ALL POST that counters them. They say, "I read that Garchomp's counters can't stop him, but he has counters!", or "I know Garchomp's Ice weakness doesn't stop him AT ALL, but Garchomp has an Ice weakness"! Seriously, are you guys just plain idiots, or are you just illiterate?

I am also at an impass at Chomp being uber. I like Chomp, and don't feel him that broken, but their is overwhelming evidence for him being uber, and moronic post for him not.

And SmashGood, why aren't you on my friendslist yet? Seriously, I'll sum up that post for you.

Everybody saying "CHOMP IS UBER, SO EVERYONE ELSE WILL BE SOON ENOUGH", needs to grow up.

TL;DR version. Classic.

EDIT:AHA, ANTI BEAT MEH

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    You certain Garchomp becomes uber, and because no Tyranitar EPU (Easy Powner User[banned in the ubers])?
    But from the we don't exaggerate.

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    You certain Garchomp becomes uber, and because no Tyranitar EPU (Easy Powner User[banned in the ubers])?
    But from the we don't exaggerate.

I haven't a clue what that post is saying.

Everything is allowed in Ubers. This means Tar. So Tar + Garchomp is still possible in Ubers. Though Sandstorm's significantly less common in Ubers (and therefore Sand Veil's less of a factor), if that's what you're saying.

tl;dr = Too long; didn't read.

EDIT: Curses I've been ninja'd.

Last edited:

SmashGood

Me... SMASH!!
    Years
    Haha, thank you Sims.

And as to my two cents for Garchomp, I'm for having it move into Ubers. I believe it would make the OU metagame much more entertaining, seeing a lot more of a variety in what is used and let those that never see to much action, because of being straight-up outclassed by Garchomp, have some fun.

And I'm sorry Sebastien Loeb, but I do not understand what you are trying to say.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back