• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gathering all Magic Players - The Magic: the Gathering Club!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I'm still stuck on using my B/G/U Damia deck. I think making a 5 color dragon deck would be fun, but I'm missing a few key cards to start making it work. Like a general and about half of the dragons necessary. I did help my friend make a scarecrow deck in March I think. It was pretty fun and ran smoothly.

nightsmith97

Know Thyself
    Years
    For those of us with little EDH/Commander experience, I went ahead and found a couple websites that offer some detailed information about EDH/Commander. It seems they go pretty in-depth, however I have only skimmed through them as of this posting. Anyways, here they are:

Article 1
    Article 2

I also found an Introduction to Commander video, and another on How To Choose The Right Commander.

Last edited:

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
    Hey guys! Long post ahead so I'm putting it in spoilers :) There will be an important strawpoll at the end, so be sure to vote on it! I was already kinda ninja'd on this, but I've been making it for a while so I really want to just post it and continue on with the making of this deck. This should've been posted about a week ago but with school and distractions it's been heavily delayed. Sorry!

Spoiler:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Also basically, you can't have more than one copy (expect lands). is it correct?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Right. Unless it's anything besides a basic land or says otherwise. Cards like Shadowborn Apostle you'd be able to have as many of as you want, and lands like rugged highlands or rakdos guildgate you'd only be able to have one of since they're not basic lands.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I built an EDH deck with Niv Mizzet. Unfortunately, I don't have that many cards, so instead of me just drawing a bunch of cards, I have a bunch of burn, scry, cards that deal damage when I scry, and some control. I haven't tested it out yet, but on paper it could win pretty easily, and I don't completely rely on my commander.

Bidoof FTW

Years
    (deleted)

in a 4-3-3-2-2 vote, control is the winner!

Post will be coming up shortly. Next we're deciding colors!

Last edited:

Bidoof FTW

Years
    Okay! So next we'll be picking colors :) We're probably going to go with 2 colors, since that'll be easiest for making an EDH deck. So read through the points of picking each color and vote in the new strawpoll! Keep in mind that although some colors are better at control than others, any color can be viable for the playstyle! :)

Here are some of the strong points and playstyles for each color:

Black - Using the graveyard and your life total as resources.
    Creature Removal
    Card Draw
    Tutoring for anything
    Creature Recursion
    Hand Disruption
    Sacrifice
    Big Mana (in mono black)
    Pre-emptive "gutting" of decks (ex. Sadistic Sacrament)
    Zombies & Vampires

Blue - Control Strategies
    Countermagic
    Card Draw
    Artifacts
    Big Evasive Creatures
    Mill
    Stealing other peoples creatures
    Copying Effects
    Wizards, Merfolk, and Faeries

White - Defense
    Lifegain
    Equipments
    Enchantments
    Creature and Enchantment Recursion
    Removal of just about anything
    Tokens
    Tutoring for enchantments and equipments
    Angels

Green - Mana Ramp
    Tokens
    Aggro Builds
    Creature and Non-Creature Recursion/Graveyard Shenanigans
    Non-Creature Removal
    Elves and Big Trampling Creatures

Red - Aggro Builds
    Land Destruction
    Direct Damage
    Artifact Removal
    Goblins and Big Flying Dragons

Here is the poll: https://strawpoll.me/5350145

Last edited:

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I kinda like combining white and black. It's best way to gain much life and pay life for things

Bidoof FTW

Years
    Battle for Zendikar spoilers woooot https://mythicspoiler.com/

What's your favorite card so far?

And for anyone who hasn't voted in the poll, or wants to vote for more colors, please do so! We're at a 4-way tie and we need to bring it down to 2 colors. Thanks! :)

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    What's good build for Aggro deck?

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    What's good build for Aggro deck?

Generally you'll want red splashed with another colour of your choice. Low mana cost red creatures with some form of evasion (Menace being your most likely option) are very good, mixed in with some form of board control and removal via red burn spells (think lightning strike) as well as whatever colour you're using. Ie. blue can bounce creatures or counterspell to keep their board open for you to swing in constantly. Black is hard removal. Green could help with getting more mana out quickly or using fight mechanics to keep their board clean. And white can offer more evasion or battle tricks (flying, first strike, double strike, protection from colour).

Of course you don't need to use red, but it's your best option to main with.

Bidoof FTW

Years
    Red/black or Red/white are some pretty good aggro colors. Red/green was good for a while but I don't know if it is anymore, haven't played standard since Dragon's Maze XD

Omnath is really cool, I was hoping for opening him when I go to prerelease, or maybe I'll buy a fat pack... Idk.

Are any of you attending Prerelease or release for the new set?

Ullion

Years
    Red/black or Red/white are some pretty good aggro colors. Red/green was good for a while but I don't know if it is anymore, haven't played standard since Dragon's Maze XD

Omnath is really cool, I was hoping for opening him when I go to prerelease, or maybe I'll buy a fat pack... Idk.

Are any of you attending Prerelease or release for the new set?

If I can get a ride and a friend or two to go with me, I'd totally go. But it doesn't seem like that will be the case, ah well. :(

Bidoof FTW

Years
    If I can get a ride and a friend or two to go with me, I'd totally go. But it doesn't seem like that will be the case, ah well. :(

I don't think the prerelease date is out yet, so you might still have a chance?

Ullion

Years
    The prerelease has been announced as Oct 2nd I believe. Or Oct2nd was release date, in which PR will be the friday before that. I think?

Back