• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gathering all Magic Players - The Magic: the Gathering Club!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I think I play using too much enchament going and few soccrries or instant

Years
    OMG YES MTG CLUB

Username: Bidoof FTW
    Favourite Colour: Black (B)
    Favourite Deck: My favorite is my first: W/B Extort :) It isn't playable in standard anymore but I played it after Dragon's Maze came out and I loved it.
    Mode of Play: Online. I have Dotp 13 for Steam and 360, 14 and 15 for 360.

When did you first start playing?
    I first started playing when Dragon's Maze came out, my dad was working at a card shop doing some eBay listing or something like that, and I thought the prerelease looked so cool (it was ;)) and my dad decided to sit me down and teach me, I've loved it since.

What was your first plane?
    Ravnica. It's definitely one of my favorites, the guilds are just so unique and they're so interesting. Someday I should read the lore books about ravnica and the guilds :) Also I guess Innistrad also counts for my first, I didn't get to play too much with the cards but I love the theme of it.

Also are you going to talk about the new Magic DotP coming out? There is a discussion with information here and I'm so so so so SO excited ^^

Oh my god! I didn't know half this stuff I'm so hyped rn.
    Also this better not mean each update will be a paid DLC:
    Duels Origins is a persistent environment, it'll be updated with every physical mtg block.

Cardboard looks pretty. As they said, to what end is it worth buying? I mean, I could go to the local card shop or look on craigslist and buy boxes of 1000 for $10 or $15. Sure they might not all be great, but the chances of getting something worth the money out of those 1000 cards is much greater than that of pulling anything decent out of MM. It's much better to just buy singles since you're sure to get what you want and you won't have to spend an arm and a leg.

Most people who sell boxes of 1000 cards tend to pull out any expensive cards before they sell them so they can do that separately unless you were making a joke about how bad MM2 packs are lmao

I went to go visit my friend last week, we bought a couple of MM packs each and left it at that.

I pulled a foil Mox Opal. <3

OMG YOU LUCKY B*STARD I'm so jealous!!!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Most people who sell boxes of 1000 cards tend to pull out any expensive cards before they sell them so they can do that separately unless you were making a joke about how bad MM2 packs are lmao

Kinda. When I first started playing, the card shop that I go to most often was selling boxes of 800 for $10. I ended up getting about $60 worth of rares in the two boxes that I bought and then a crap ton of uncommons that came to pretty much pay for the boxes themselves. And then I see people selling their collections quite often on craigslist for surprisingly cheap. Yard sales are also good for picking up hidden gems.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    Kinda. When I first started playing, the card shop that I go to most often was selling boxes of 800 for $10. I ended up getting about $60 worth of rares in the two boxes that I bought and then a crap ton of uncommons that came to pretty much pay for the boxes themselves. And then I see people selling their collections quite often on craigslist for surprisingly cheap. Yard sales are also good for picking up hidden gems.

Some of my friends in my MtG group have bought some of those. I'm very tempted to do the same. But it's just not the same feeling as opening a pack myself and finding dat foil mox opal.

So I need some help, I'm trying to construct a new deck (maybe separate the idea into 2 decks) and I'm not sure how to go about it from where I am and what cards I have.

Firstly, my colours of choice are White, Green and Blue. For the type of cards I'm using, I was originally going to try and make a full-out Morph/Manifest/MegaMorph deck out the 3 colours and proceed to use other enchantments/auras to beef them up (ie. lightform and cloudform and battle mastery). But here is where I'm finding my issue, if I get manifest, the cards I'm getting on the field are random and may make the game harder for myself (such as having a manifested enchantment!) so I'd need a lot of creatures. But I also want some form of removal. But then I'm spreading myself thin and I'm not too sure the deck would even hit a strong timing or whatever.

Another option is to do a strictly MMM (morph/manifest/megamorph) deck in G/U only and do the enchantment deck for the Bant colours. If I do that though, then there are some cards that I have and really want to use but can't (Mastery of the Unseen, Lightform).

I'm gunna go tinker around some more and see what I can do though! I think my main aim for my current attempt is to focus more on bant MMM rather than enchantments. x.x

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    Username: Nolafus
    Favourite Colour: Green
    Favourite Deck: My Black/Green Scavenge
    Mode of Play: Paper (there's online?)

I'm a very casual player, so I won't be talking huge strategies or anything like that, but I've been looking to get more into the game for quite a while now (especially since there's a card shop within walking distance of my apartment), and thought this would be a good starting point! I don't know the specific name of the game mode, but I almost exclusively play where any card is allowed except for the really old ones. Help me out? Haha

Anyway, my main deck is a Black/Green scavenge/+1 +1 counter. It has four Corpsejacks to help me stack up, and I have a few win conditions with Crowned Ceratok, Sun Bringer's Touch, Death's Presence, and Champion of Lambholt in addition to just getting too powerful to take down. I really like the deck, but its early game is absolutely horrendous, and I often lose before I can get to that late game where I excel.

But enough about me. I hope I can chat with you guys, but I must admit, I'm getting lost with all of the advanced talk here, haha.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    Omg a Golgari player. I had nightmares being a Dimir agent against my Golgari-aligned friend.

Ullion

Years

I'm a very casual player, so I won't be talking huge strategies or anything like that, but I've been looking to get more into the game for quite a while now (especially since there's a card shop within walking distance of my apartment), and thought this would be a good starting point! I don't know the specific name of the game mode, but I almost exclusively play where any card is allowed except for the really old ones. Help me out? Haha

Anyway, my main deck is a Black/Green scavenge/+1 +1 counter. It has four Corpsejacks to help me stack up, and I have a few win conditions with Crowned Ceratok, Sun Bringer's Touch, Death's Presence, and Champion of Lambholt in addition to just getting too powerful to take down. I really like the deck, but its early game is absolutely horrendous, and I often lose before I can get to that late game where I excel.

But enough about me. I hope I can chat with you guys, but I must admit, I'm getting lost with all of the advanced talk here, haha.

Nice! When I got one of my friends into magic, Golgari was his 2nd attempt at a deck (same methods as you via scavenge). Do you have/use any Slitherheads? I remember thinking that card was DOPE :P There is also a few cards in Khans of Tarkir and Fate reforged (2 relatviely new sets) that use green/black and might help you survive early.

One of my favourites being: https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=394687

Its an early game card for you to use, works very well with counters because of it's on-death effect! :)

Also, the mode you're talking about (almost all cards so long as theyre not old) is modern-casualish? Modern covers like... every set back to 8th edition (a long time ago) with a list of about 20 cards that are considered banned xP

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    What's a good balanced deck these days?

Ullion

Years
    Balanced in what sense? Balanced as in not OP/imbalanced? Or as in a mix of aggressive and defensive playstyle? Or any other kind of contrasting concepts?

This is a shot in the dark without knowing full well what you mean - but I think U/G could likely be considered the most consistent 2-colour combination (green's mana boosting, and blue's card drawing), while being able to get fairly large creatures with your green side to stay safe on the ground - and have flyers/unblockables with blue. ^_^

Years

One of my friends played Golgari when we first started playing, he struggled with early game too, but it got tons better when he started putting in lower converted mana cost creatures instead of the huge ones. Stuff like Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Varolz, the Scar-Striped, which were also from Return to Ravnica and Dragons Maze so they should be easy to get. Also look at some of the Simic guild stuff, from both the recent Return to Ravnica and the old City of Ravnica cards. They all revolve around counters so are pretty useful.

What's a good balanced deck these days?

I like to look at tappedout.net for when I'm thinking of a making a new deck :p

Some of my friends in my MtG group have bought some of those. I'm very tempted to do the same. But it's just not the same feeling as opening a pack myself and finding dat foil mox opal.

So I need some help, I'm trying to construct a new deck (maybe separate the idea into 2 decks) and I'm not sure how to go about it from where I am and what cards I have.

Firstly, my colours of choice are White, Green and Blue. For the type of cards I'm using, I was originally going to try and make a full-out Morph/Manifest/MegaMorph deck out the 3 colours and proceed to use other enchantments/auras to beef them up (ie. lightform and cloudform and battle mastery). But here is where I'm finding my issue, if I get manifest, the cards I'm getting on the field are random and may make the game harder for myself (such as having a manifested enchantment!) so I'd need a lot of creatures. But I also want some form of removal. But then I'm spreading myself thin and I'm not too sure the deck would even hit a strong timing or whatever.

Another option is to do a strictly MMM (morph/manifest/megamorph) deck in G/U only and do the enchantment deck for the Bant colours. If I do that though, then there are some cards that I have and really want to use but can't (Mastery of the Unseen, Lightform).

I'm gunna go tinker around some more and see what I can do though! I think my main aim for my current attempt is to focus more on bant MMM rather than enchantments. x.x

I'm not entirely sure what type of deck you definitely want to go for, but recently there was a Bant (W/U/G colours) morph deck that gain a butt-ton of life. Like, even in standard tournaments games the players would be hitting 100+ life! I can't remember who made the decklist but I know it was based around the U/G morph and manifest cards and Mastery of the Unseen, with the enchantments you talked about.
    You should really build this deck you could be onto something really powerful!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    Nice! When I got one of my friends into magic, Golgari was his 2nd attempt at a deck (same methods as you via scavenge). Do you have/use any Slitherheads? I remember thinking that card was DOPE :P There is also a few cards in Khans of Tarkir and Fate reforged (2 relatviely new sets) that use green/black and might help you survive early.

One of my favourites being: https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=394687

Its an early game card for you to use, works very well with counters because of it's on-death effect! :)

Also, the mode you're talking about (almost all cards so long as theyre not old) is modern-casualish? Modern covers like... every set back to 8th edition (a long time ago) with a list of about 20 cards that are considered banned xP
    Slitherhead is awesome, haha. I have two or three in my deck, and I love attacking with them because my friends don't want to kill it. Even if it's just one health. Also good for defending for the same purposes. I do have Varolz as well, which helps a lot considering I took out a lot of my scavenge cards for stuff like Hydras, Ivy Lane Denizen, etc.

That card looks really good, so I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for it. Most of my cards are have a mana cost three or four, with my highest being seven on one. It's not that my early game is complete garbage, as I can get a good number of creatures out, but other people seem to rely on it a lot more, and pull off some combos before I have my first Corpsejack out.

Liliana Vess said:
    One of my friends played Golgari when we first started playing, he struggled with early game too, but it got tons better when he started putting in lower converted mana cost creatures instead of the huge ones. Stuff like Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Varolz, the Scar-Striped, which were also from Return to Ravnica and Dragons Maze so they should be easy to get. Also look at some of the Simic guild stuff, from both the recent Return to Ravnica and the old City of Ravnica cards. They all revolve around counters so are pretty useful.
    I'll definitely have to check those out. My deck is mostly made up of what I've traded for and found in boosters, so I'm looking forward to improving my deck now that a card shop is nearby.

Now if I can only find a way to counter my friend's artifact deck with Darksteel Forge and Stuffy Doll...

Ullion

Years
    That card looks really good, so I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for it. Most of my cards are have a mana cost three or four, with my highest being seven on one. It's not that my early game is complete garbage, as I can get a good number of creatures out, but other people seem to rely on it a lot more, and pull off some combos before I have my first Corpsejack out.

I recommend browsing through the image index of cards pritned from Khans of Tarkir, Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir. The green/white set (I know you're green black but stick with me for a moment) is insane for gaining coutners and controlling the position of your coutners. I made my personal spin off that style and have a lot of fun with it. The part that's relevant and good for you, is that a lot of the good cards that provide counters or use counters are mono-green. Like I said earlier, just take a looksie through the cardlist and you may like what you see :)

Also, what Lilianna mentioned earlier about looking into the Simic cards (Green/blue) from old and new ravnica could be beneficial since they both work off counters as well! :)

And thanks Lili! I put a 60 card deck together, and I'm defintely going for modern and not standard because I traded for 2x Seaside citadels and want to use them >.< But you gave me high hopes for my deck, thank you! I pulled a XBU counter spell (if they cant pay X themselves) and you gain X life. :D I also pulled an Azorius Guildmage, which let's met pay 3 mana to counter an active ability (so long as it isn't a mana ability) which I think is super handy!

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    So many options to choose from?

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
    I remember it was mentioned earlier about finding a way we could play together online (cockatrice and xmage) but the new Duels of the Planeswalkers game will be free and accessible on steam :) it won't have all of the cards out there but it would be fun to play with you guys when it comes out~ ^^

Also this better not mean each update will be a paid DLC

I assume not, it'll probably be like the current DotP where you either play on a new plane to earn the cards or they give them to you for free. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. I'm sure they'll find a way to pay for cards somehow. Perhaps foils or ways to unlock the cards without grinding like they've done in past games.

Although if they released a good paid DLC every so often I would probably pay for it. The game itself could probably be sold as $15 right away so why not pay for some good DLC every now and then since we're getting the game for free?

Ullion

Years
    The new Dotp will be free on steam? Nice! M15 was such a let down :(

I still play M14 on steam every once and a while, if anyone has it? 2-headed giant is so fun!

Also U/B mill? My friends hate that stlye so much, so I never get to use mine :*(

I want to unleash my Suspend wrath on someone

I want to make a joke about you having to wait a few more turns. But not sure how to word it >:

Years
    Username:Draskk
    Favourite Colour: Red/White
    Favourite Deck: Heroes V. Monsters, Modified Heroes weenie deck
    Mode of Play: Paper

Im a casual player so i dont know all the the big talk and strats but i hope we can discuss Magic together. :D

As for my deck it does well against all the other decks i have and only seems to be stopped by bad pulls. Its main feature is boosting up small things to be terrifying. Anax and Cymede and this other Paladin guy really help. Heroic is what it is all about (adding abilites by meeting a certain quota) and enchantments like Daily Regimen and some useful boosting cards for defense and offense

Also i would really enjoy playing online with some of you guys cause i dont really have anyone to play with and i dont think i would be good at tournements and other competitive meetups.

Last edited:

Ullion

Years
    Heroic is so dope! :D It's a shame you didn't have a friend to play the monsters deck from the dual deck pack you got. Apparently when they make them, the two decks are equal and balance each other well for fun games. I'm yet to try them myself. :(

It'd be cool if we could use some internet medium (a steam version of DotP or cockatrice or xmage) to play some games together! ^^

Years
    Well i did play the duel with somone but Heroes seemed to win everytime but he also got bad pulls so idk

Another deck i really like is an evolve simic deck and i guess i really just like making huge dudes that are very hard to counter without removal
    However that is the only reason i like green otherwise i really dont like getting pounded on while waiting to get something big on the field

I started just when i was 13 Playing with my dad for the first time with a burn deck vs control deck from a duel pack with Jace and another planeswalker i cant remember the name of
    We later Modified that deck to have 1 red 2/3 that got two +1 +1 counters everytime a spell was sacrified to it instead of being cast and with a burn deck it got very big very quickly

Ullion

Years
    Well i did play the duel with somone but Heroes seemed to win everytime but he also got bad pulls so idk

Another deck i really like is an evolve simic deck and i guess i really just like making huge dudes that are very hard to counter without removal
    However that is the only reason i like green otherwise i really dont like getting pounded on while waiting to get something big on the field

I started just when i was 13 Playing with my dad for the first time with a burn deck vs control deck from a duel pack with Jace and another planeswalker i cant remember the name of
    We later Modified that deck to have 1 red 2/3 that got two +1 +1 counters everytime a spell was sacrified to it instead of being cast and with a burn deck it got very big very quickly

Simic! <3 The issue with playing decks using +1/+1 counters on creatures is if they get removed from the field in anyway (exiled, returned to hand, anything really..) they lose their counters and become weak again. :(

oh! I think I know what card you're talking about. *goes to google quickly*

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=290526

This guy? He's frustrating to play against >(

Back