• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gathering all Magic Players - The Magic: the Gathering Club!

Years
    Simic! <3 The issue with playing decks using +1/+1 counters on creatures is if they get removed from the field in anyway (exiled, returned to hand, anything really..) they lose their counters and become weak again. :(

oh! I think I know what card you're talking about. *goes to google quickly*

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=290526

This guy? He's frustrating to play against >(

ah yes him *Evil Grin* i love him

You just gave me an idea
    hm maybe a hexproof deck (Or something of the sort) to protect against removal and abilities
    That might work well if i can balance Boosting creatures up and Hexproof
    Or Counterspells like a blue/white deck

Any thoughts?

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
    You could use hexproof illusions with Adaptive Automaton, Lord of the Unreal, Phantasmal Image, Phyrexian Metamorph, Krovikan Mist, and other Illusion creatures or even Shapeshifters since they count as Illusions :)

There's a deck like this in the 2014 edition of Duels of the Planeswalkers, it's called Mind Maze. The whole hexproof and illusion tribal deck is a really cool idea and I loved playing it. The key to making this deck though is 4 copies of Lord of the Unreal, the rest is just filler to make the deck stronger. I also probably wouldn't netdeck Mind Maze, it's a great concept and some of the cards in the list are good, but others really aren't worth using.

EDIT: this is just the one hexproof-oriented deck I know of, there might be more out there if this doesn't fit your style or liking.

Last edited:

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    I totally agree with BidoofFTW, I have a deck like this IRL with 2x Lord of the Unreal (unfortunately couldn't find any more). But Hexproof is... difficult to find and incorporate in a deck as a style. It can definitely be used, but I don't think as a theme but rather as a value trick to have in your deck.

For example something cheap with flexibility: https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253636

It's blue, too, so it can definitely be apart of a Simic deck too! :) Just take note, hexproof does not stop everything! :)

Years
    You could use hexproof illusions with Adaptive Automaton, Lord of the Unreal, Phantasmal Image, Phyrexian Metamorph, Krovikan Mist, and other Illusion creatures or even Shapeshifters since they count as Illusions :)

There's a deck like this in the 2014 edition of Duels of the Planeswalkers, it's called Mind Maze. The whole hexproof and illusion tribal deck is a really cool idea and I loved playing it. The key to making this deck though is 4 copies of Lord of the Unreal, the rest is just filler to make the deck stronger. I also probably wouldn't netdeck Mind Maze, it's a great concept and some of the cards in the list are good, but others really aren't worth using.

EDIT: this is just the one hexproof-oriented deck I know of, there might be more out there if this doesn't fit your style or liking.

I totally agree with BidoofFTW, I have a deck like this IRL with 2x Lord of the Unreal (unfortunately couldn't find any more). But Hexproof is... difficult to find and incorporate in a deck as a style. It can definitely be used, but I don't think as a theme but rather as a value trick to have in your deck.

For example something cheap with flexibility: https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253636

It's blue, too, so it can definitely be apart of a Simic deck too! :) Just take note, hexproof does not stop everything! :)

Thank you both for your input and Ullion i think that would go well in this deck that acomplishes what i think is a playstyle i like and has prevention from removal (and not just hexproof) https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/evolve-deck/

Last edited:

Ullion

Years
    That's a sick deck! I don't have anywhere near that amount of cards like that. Honestly I don't think I'd remove any of the cards you have in their for Mizzium Skin (you have simic charm for the same effect, basically same mana cost AND more options).

Although I am sad to not see any cloudfin raptors. ;)
    I don't know if you have any of these, but this is great to have as land in an evolve deck: https://i.tcgplayer.com/14924.jpg

Years
    That's a sick deck! I don't have anywhere near that amount of cards like that. Honestly I don't think I'd remove any of the cards you have in their for Mizzium Skin (you have simic charm for the same effect, basically same mana cost AND more options).

Although I am sad to not see any cloudfin raptors. ;)
    I don't know if you have any of these, but this is great to have as land in an evolve deck: https://i.tcgplayer.com/14924.jpg

I only have some of the things in that deck but I believe that would be a great deck to suit my playstyle

I wanted to do that to make a kind of dream deck that maybe I could get in the future

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I wish I can play commander without a commander deck in Mage. :(

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I stink at commander. All I have is Varolz, and I have yet to win a game with it. I don't play commander often, and built my deck in a half hour with no major tweaks since then, so you can probably see how much stock I put in those games. For some reason though, all my friends are obsessed with that game mode and I can't see why.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I stink at commander. All I have is Varolz, and I have yet to win a game with it. I don't play commander often, and built my deck in a half hour with no major tweaks since then, so you can probably see how much stock I put in those games. For some reason though, all my friends are obsessed with that game mode and I can't see why.

EDH is the best because you can use just about any card in any edition. The banlist is much shorter and there's a lot more fun to be had with it if you know what you're doing. I ran Kresh for the longest time because I didn't know what I was doing. Now I'm running Damia and it's so much more fun. Like here's a rather outdated version of what I'm doing. Some of the combos are still there since I'm still bg, but yeah. It was fun to play but I never lived for long since I would often mill opponent's wins off early and then become a target. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/infinite-in-progress/

Last edited:
    Years
    Commander is a bit too complicated for my liking and i like being able to just casually play anything without being pressured to do a (IMO) too-specific ruleset for anything
    Maybe thats just because i like things simple but hey thats just my theory
    A Magic Theory

Ullion

Years

I'm sort of in the same boat with this. I have a commander deck and played it... once. I think Sonata nailed it with his post, but another possible reason why people like it could be because you're only allowed 1 of each non-basic land card in your deck and your deck is 100 cards. It means "optimizing" your deck to pull our your strategy isn't as easily done or as quickly. In modern, you can stack 4 cards for some cheesy strategy that could actually win ON turn 2 (most cheese strats take 3-4 turns i think though). So in commander, you have a higher chance (I think?) of having more fulfilling matches ^^

@Blue Yveltal + Nolafus If you're unsure about how to build a commander deck (or are lacking a commander), you can always buy an "intro" commander pack and try that out! :) Also, I think the intro packs for Dragon's Maze has a legendary 2-colour creature (Varolz being one), so you can always use those as a starting block as well!

@draskk one of my friends bought singles to make his Simic evolve deck. It was strong and super hard to contend with (I won maybe a third of the matches?) and most notably: it was consistent.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    Ullion said:
    If you're unsure about how to build a commander deck (or are lacking a commander), you can always buy an "intro" commander pack and try that out!
    I actually got one for Christmas, but that was when the mode was first introduced, and I had no clue what it was. I played it normally a few times, realized it didn't work well that way, and took it apart, haha.

Some of the cards buffed my other decks pretty well, at least.

Ullion

Years
    I actually got one for Christmas, but that was when the mode was first introduced, and I had no clue what it was. I played it normally a few times, realized it didn't work well that way, and took it apart, haha.

Some of the cards buffed my other decks pretty well, at least.

One of my friends did the same thing (I think?), getting the Red/Black/Green commander deck. He loved it because it was dragon themed, and we played one time with me using my first-attempt commander deck. It was pretty fun and I'd do it again, but the chance has never really come up. ;<

Some cards that come out in commander are pretty darn sweet (Sol ring best ring) without a doubt. Sadly with the format my friends mostly play with (modern), some of these awesome commander cards aren't allowed.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    For those of you that do play EDH/Commander, I finally went about putting what I'm currently running up on tappedout if anyone wants to take a look and give some feedback. I still have a few things to remove and change around, but for the most part it's good. I really need to get a sol ring. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-06-15-the-works/

Ullion

Years
    Ensnaring bridge -> if you're running combos to get some creatures with really high power/toughness I think this card might be bad since it'll hold yourself back? Unless you're worried about your opponent(s) having even higher power creatures than you and you want to stay defensive.

Bottled Cloister -> If I understand correctly, this artifact stops yourself from playing instants on your opponents turn for the trade off that they can't see your hand or make you discard (etc.) on your own turn, yes? This is a cool card, but really weird o.o" Personally I think I'd put it in a sidedeck and wait for someone who uses black and blue?

Ghoulcaller's Bell-> I'm stoked someone else uses this card too! I think it's awesome!

I'm confused as to why you have a Rugged Highlands (tap for red or green mana) in a commander deck that can't have red o.o'

There are a couple of other cards that caught my eye and I wasn't sure how they'd run. But I feel like I'd have to see them in action to see how good they are. :)
    Perchance do you have a Kruphix, God of Horizons?

edit: Oh, also. I may be completely wrong on everything I said otherwise, since I really haven't played commander. But these were things that just caught my attention and thought some worked against you in a way (ensnaring bridge). x.x'

Last edited:

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Is Griselbrand illegal on commander deck? It's just paying 7 life to draw same amount as paid life would or maybe mischievous milling tactics with blue.

I wish commander games are just like casual, no commander and have multiple copies of cards.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Ensnaring bridge -> if you're running combos to get some creatures with really high power/toughness I think this card might be bad since it'll hold yourself back? Unless you're worried about your opponent(s) having even higher power creatures than you and you want to stay defensive.

Bottled Cloister -> If I understand correctly, this artifact stops yourself from playing instants on your opponents turn for the trade off that they can't see your hand or make you discard (etc.) on your own turn, yes? This is a cool card, but really weird o.o" Personally I think I'd put it in a sidedeck and wait for someone who uses black and blue?

Ghoulcaller's Bell-> I'm stoked someone else uses this card too! I think it's awesome!

I'm confused as to why you have a Rugged Highlands (tap for red or green mana) in a commander deck that can't have red o.o'

There are a couple of other cards that caught my eye and I wasn't sure how they'd run. But I feel like I'd have to see them in action to see how good they are. :)
    Perchance do you have a Kruphix, God of Horizons?

Yeah I need to switch out rugged highlands for another dual. It's left over from my last deck. The thing with Ensnaring bridge is it's one of my last lines of defense in case I can't get out my attacking creatures. I don't really have to attack to win. And it stacks up with Bottle Cloister. I have no hand, they can't attack. And I can stack the beginning of my turn with other cards that have draw effects like damia to end up drawing a ton of cards and dealing a ton of damage if I have out psychosis crawler. I'm planning to not run any instants (which is why I only have 4 atm, trying to get rid of them since they don't really do anything for me anyways in EDH...except for Wordly Tutor). I'm also contemplating removing omnath and just making a mono green with infect. But I don't have the money to bother with it right now. I would use Kruphix, but it kinda eh. Joiner adept makes my lands tap for whatever color I want and then Omnath lets me keep any unused green mana.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Constructing commander deck variant is bit harder for me, it just can't do this or too many cards

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Is Griselbrand illegal on commander deck? It's just paying 7 life to draw same amount as paid life would or maybe mischievous milling tactics with blue.

Very illegal. Very broken because there's not a limit per turn and it's easy to get ~100 health and just start drawing your deck. You might check out Legacy though if you haven't already. It seems like more what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Ullion

Years
    Constructing commander deck variant is bit harder for me, it just can't do this or too many cards

I have the same issue. Especially because I can't even playtest it either. I just put a green/blue deck together trying to keep the theme of aggro+control as well as using counters to my advantage.

If you ever wonder what cards are banned for whichever format, check this link out:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/bannedrestricted

Googling for other specifics is also a very good idea! :)

Back