• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

quilzel

net start w3svc
Years
  • *Sigh* Specifications that make this laptop look less and less impressive each day.

By the way, what do you guys think of the newer Raspberry Pi computers that are going to be released? I already have SO many plans of combining those with an Arduino to do cool Cyberpunk things around my house. I'll probably compile a minimalist Gentoo version for it and image it between SD cards, than set up a virtual machine that uses the SD card as a boot device so that I can develop on it easily. :)

I was thinking of making a little File/webserver with one. It would force me to get to know Linux a little more than I currently do. I'm really excited to see these come out. I wish they would come faster.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • They certainly look interesting, but I wonder if someone'll be able to hack Windows 8 onto it. I've thought about getting one, but I really don't see that many practical applications I would use it for. maybe someday when I want to set up a quick web browser PC for a niece or nephew I'll pick one up.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Just wondering, does anyone have any good suggestions for video converters? Specifically .avi and .mkv (Hardsub) to .mp4 (PS3) or .mkv (With soft subs) to .mp4?

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • Just wondering, does anyone have any good suggestions for video converters? Specifically .avi and .mkv (Hardsub) to .mp4 (PS3) or .mkv (With soft subs) to .mp4?

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about video convertors but I found HandBrake to be a good video convertor (at least, for me). I did some research and I believe .mp4 files converted from .mkv and .avi files using HandBrake do work on the PS3, although you may need to change the conversion settings to make sure it works properly on the PS3. I can confirm myself that hard subbed .mkv files converted using HandBrake into .mp4 files work perfectly fine - I've did it plenty of times so I could put videos onto my iPod Touch. I'm pretty sure you can convert videos with soft subs as well, although I'm not entirely sure about this.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Just wondering, does anyone have any good suggestions for video converters? Specifically .avi and .mkv (Hardsub) to .mp4 (PS3) or .mkv (With soft subs) to .mp4?

I use a program called Format Factory, it does video, audio, CD to ISO, and a whole lot of other things. Its pretty straight forward to use but has lots of options if you want them. I suggest you give it a try.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'd use Prism (trialware, but very good quality), Handbrake (just awesome, also works as a DVD ripper), or VLC (awesome all around).

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hmm...

Well, I think I might want to ask something a bit general about computers here. How long have you guys been using computers?

Me, I have been doing it since, well, like, around 1999 or 2000. Back when Windows 98SE was where it's it... hehe, memories.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I have been using them since around 2001 for anything that is beyond gaming. That would be when I started fiddling around with the Operating systems... Primarily older ones like DOS since I was just a kid and didn't have access to any technology.

As for the first time I used a computer, period, is probably around 1993ish, not even 3 years old and playing Commander Keen. :P

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I began using computers way back in 1996, when Windows 95 was in it's heyday.
    by the time 98SE had rolled around I had begun delving into building and customizing my machines. I didn't get into Macs until around 2004 though. I was using Ubuntu from 1999 until 2002 because Windows 98SE was getting pushed to the back burner by most places and WinME was atrocious. (also being a cash-strapped teen the free factor was very appealing for ubuntu)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I got my own PC in early 2001.

I began using computers way back in 1996, when Windows 95 was in it's heyday.
    by the time 98SE had rolled around I had begun delving into building and customizing my machines. I didn't get into Macs until around 2004 though. I was using Ubuntu from 1999 until 2002 because Windows 98SE was getting pushed to the back burner by most places and WinME was atrocious. (also being a cash-strapped teen the free factor was very appealing for ubuntu)

I thought Ubuntu Linux wasn't around in 1999?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I thought Ubuntu Linux wasn't around in 1999?
    Turns out you're right, Ubuntu wasn't first released until 2004.I guess I've got my dates mixed up, it seems much longer since I use Ubuntu as my main system, I guess I used windows up til '04 then used Ubuntu from '04 until '06 when I switched to Mac.

Years
  • I've been using computers ever since I can remember, I remember using my granddads computer to play games back in 1999 I think it was. Back when the games were on floppy disks and I had to use run commands to play the game xD
    But it wasn't till about 2006/7 when I really started getting into using computers and would spend the majority of my time on them :3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back