• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General game making help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valora17

Something Memorable?
Years
  • Are there any scripts available that allow the player to customize the character? Like change the hair/eye color, skin tone, etc?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Are there any scripts available that allow the player to customize the character? Like change the hair/eye color, skin tone, etc?
    No, as that would require mass effort in the graphics department. Every single graphic for the character would need a sprite for every single combination.

Freak A

Back !!!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    would you guys play a non pokemon game with pokemon like graphics

Years
  • I'm planning on possibly making a Game. But i need someone to provide links to all the programs i need. I pretty much needs EVERYTHING! editing sprites,trainers,stores,houses,text, etc etc. Thanks.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    No, as that would require mass effort in the graphics department. Every single graphic for the character would need a sprite for every single combination.

Wouldn't this rather be a case of storing the values of the skin/clothes/hair/etc that the character is 'wearing', then drawing it all on the player once they're loaded onto the map?

Of course this would then mean you would have to make each piece of the character move at the same time, run the same animations, layer over each other in the right order and load at the correct time.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Wouldn't this rather be a case of storing the values of the skin/clothes/hair/etc that the character is 'wearing', then drawing it all on the player once they're loaded onto the map?

Of course this would then mean you would have to make each piece of the character move at the same time, run the same animations, layer over each other in the right order and load at the correct time.

The Pokemon Starter Kit doesn't work in a way were you draw the specific stuff onto them. That could work, but no one has done it, and it would still be a tone of work.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    That's the point I was making. It would require an awful amount of scripting to make the various pieces drawn on the character at the same time and behave correctly.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Everyone who is reading this my Engilsh is not so good...

I'm using RMXP and my Question is: I want my game smaller when I am playing... Now it's 32*32 but I want 16*16
    Can anyone help me please?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2014
    and how can i change the part in the intro that say "Enjoy the starter kit remember to give credit if used" or something like that.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • Theres a map called intro, there should be an event in the top corner that has a text command. Scroll down untill you find that sentance and delete it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2014
    how can one change the favicon of the game? and make pokemon appear in certain maps??

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • how can one change the favicon of the game? and make pokemon appear in certain maps??

OK now you're just asking questions that are in the notes.html . Just use the editor and edit the metadata in the options and select the encounters part.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • how can one change the favicon of the game? and make pokemon appear in certain maps??

If you're not going to put any effort into looking into the notes that come with the starter kit, then it's pointless you even using it.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Where can I find how to set up a trainer player?
    That's Pokémon-related, so it's an Essentials question. Also, the answer's in the notes and the wiki. Go do some research first.

This code is from Essentials, but this isn't an Essentials question. It's a coding question.

Code:
    def pbPokemonGiveScreen(item)
     @scene.pbStartScene(@party,_INTL("Give to which Pokémon?"))
     [U][I][B]loop do[/B][/I][/U]
      pkmnid=@scene.[COLOR=Red]pbChoosePokemon[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=SeaGreen]ret=false[/COLOR]
      if pkmnid>=0
       [COLOR=SeaGreen]ret=[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]pbGiveMail[/COLOR](item,@party[pkmnid])
       break [COLOR=SeaGreen]if ret==true[/COLOR]
      else
       break
      end
     [U][I][B]end[/B][/I][/U]
     @scene.pbEndScene
     [COLOR=SeaGreen]return ret[/COLOR]
    end
    My problem is that whenever the loop is broken out of (and there's pbEndScene and it returns "ret"), I get the error message that "ret" is undefined. Why?

pbChoosePokemon will return -1 if cancelling a selection (which leads to a break in the "else" part), or the Pokémon's party number (where pbGiveMail runs).

pbGiveMail will return false if the item isn't given (in which case the code loops), and true if it is (which leads to a break via "if ret==true").

It all works as required, with the sole exception that "ret" is somehow undefined at the end. I don't see how it can be undefined, when it's clearly been defined. It worked before I put a "do" loop and the "else" clause in. Anyone have any ideas? It makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back