• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i'm wanting to get a new pokemon RP (i'm kinda new here) but with maybe 1-2 other people. how can i advertise it/get people to join? i've got a sorta plot set up and i wanted to make it free flowing, but it would require a bunch of OOC talk n stuff.
    If you want to make so small RPs, you can try to garner interest for it here in this thread :3 But then you'll need to go to private messages or perhaps skype or another chat program, with the interested people. Or maybe RP and plan in a pad like titanpad! Google it if you don't know what it is.

This is a community-driven RP place and we have made it a rule to not allow too small and private RPs as threads, for that reason.

Also revlis, you should have stuck to my old color scheme, even before Nathan took over. Baby blue and fresh white, easy to read and all. Or maybe something more brown-red-library style?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Small question! what kinds of characters do you like roleplaying as?

Because I slowly realized, one of the ways on how I can get more invested in a RP is if that I typically enjoy roleplaying as a character that's like.. 'out of the box' for me. Usually I play as like a quirky, hyper.. comedic character type, but you know, in one roleplay that I'm in right now, I'm roleplaying as a tsundere, or in other words, someone who is cold and hostile towards people, but has a rather cute side to them.

And you know what, despite the new experience, I actually love it; the roleplay is still amazing, but I also love just roleplaying my character as she interacts with the others.. I dunno, I think it's something to think about if you play to be more active, or try to be more dedicated in roleplays - the character you play is important too, and trying out new things can be worthwile. :3

Years
  • What kinds of characters do you like roleplaying as?

Typically my characters are more serious in nature and tend to be rather intelligent compared to other characters - I typically finder it harder to write as a stupid character than a smart one. In saying that there are slight exceptions though, my character Tasman from Begin Again is highly intelligent but is also extremely aloof. I try to make my characters enjoyable for the people reading my posts as well as for myself, but I'm still working on that.

Also I much prefer to play human characters.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    What kinds of characters do you like roleplaying as?

I like to play characters that have a purpose in the story; I try to come up with characters whose presence alone generates the kind of scenarios the story requires. In Odyssey for example, I noticed the RP involves us heavily in politics, so I came up with a shrewd politician and charming manipulator who stirs things and lends useful insight where he must. I've noticed that when I join RPs, I tend to create powerful, independent and often solitary characters that are capable of changing the story's direction to their liking whenever that is possible. I'm not a fan of broken people who face moral conflicts or inner intricacies. I instead want to focus on making the best out of my character's abilities, whether it's their physical or magical skills or their wits.

Years
  • What kinds of characters do you like roleplaying as?

I like to play characters that have a purpose in the story; I try to come up with characters whose presence alone generates the kind of scenarios the story requires. In Odyssey for example, I noticed the RP involves us heavily in politics, so I came up with a shrewd politician and charming manipulator who stirs things and lends useful insight where he must. I've noticed that when I join RPs, I tend to create powerful, independent and often solitary characters that are capable of changing the story's direction to their liking whenever that is possible. I'm not a fan of broken people who face moral conflicts or inner intricacies. I instead want to focus on making the best out of my character's abilities, whether it's their physical or magical skills or their wits.

I tend to agree with that last bit, I generally don't like playing a character who is just sort of there, I try to make sure I can actually contribute to how the story plays out.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I greatly prefer playing as humans in a realistic setting, like Atlantis or Sentinel's current Digimon RP. It makes things more interesting than being some happy go lucky trainer in Johto or something :)
    *shoots Aberdeen*

But sometimes a happy go lucky character is just what I feel like playing. With a few odd quirks and twists, you'll get an interesting character after all, if you play them right.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Ok guys, message received. I'm gonna start planning another round of the RPOs!

what kinds of characters do you like roleplaying as?

I think everyone has a type of types they like to play. I have a few I like to play, including the war-torn military man who puts duty above personal feelings, the angry a-hole who doesn't give a sh*t about anyone or anything and lives to piss people off, or the pompous bastard who thinks he's better than everyone else and constantly reminds you of it. Or sometimes my character is a combination of these traits. I've recently kinda tried to stray away from these types with my characters in Odyssey, One Piece and Fargona, but I did tend to play characters that have at least one of these types of traits in the past.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • I greatly prefer playing as humans in a realistic setting, like Atlantis or Sentinel's current Digimon RP. It makes things more interesting than being some happy go lucky trainer in Johto or something :)
    *shoots Aberdeen*

I have to agree with Adventure here. I don't believe I have a set archetype of character, Wyatt in Atlantis used to be weak and a whiner in the first iteration, in Awakening now he's still weak, but sarcastic and selfish. Julie in Digimon is manipulative and competitive. My secondary character I had for Digimon was a muscluar, arrogant meat-head, who looked down on everyone. My character Clinton for Skymin's upcoming RP is a hard-working and thoughtful person.

It's not so much that they all share a trait in common (the only one that comes to mind is they're all fit in one way or another) but that each is an individual entity within their own right that wouldn't necessarily fit into any sort of category.

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I have to agree with Adventure here. I don't believe I have a set archetype of character, Wyatt in Atlantis used to be weak and a whiner in the first iteration, in Awakening now he's still weak, but sarcastic and selfish. Julie in Digimon is manipulative and competitive. My secondary character I had for Digimon was a muscluar, arrogant meat-head, who looked down on everyone. My character Clinton for Skymin's upcoming RP is a hard-working and thoughtful person.

It's not so much that they all share a trait in common (the only one that comes to mind is they're all fit in one way or another) but that each is an individual entity within their own right that wouldn't necessarily fit into any sort of category.

Sarcastic, manipulative, and arrogant. With the exception of Clinton, they all sound rather rude. lol

As for myself, my characters don't really have much in common with one another. Well, they do, but not so much as to place them all under the same general labels. Some of them, sure. A few years ago all my characters were quiet loners. I was such an emo preteen oh my Arceus.

It's no secret that I have . . . a lot of characters. I'm slowly building up an arsenal to take over the world with, or simply write into a book series. The latter is more likely, the former would be preferred. My current roleplay characters include Alizai and her large family, Andrea, Jenilee, and Alma. . . . I just realized I'm not roleplaying as a single guy. Figures. Anyways, Alizai is a calm motherly type, Andrea is a sarcastic knave and a bit of a kleptomaniac, Jenilee is a technological genius (which I'm not really so I have to pretend really hard with her), and Alma . . . well, I have yet to make a post with this incarnation of her, but she certainly is more of the quiet loner type, though with good reason.

oh, and for the previous question, I'd like to see more events a la Hoenn Grande Festival and Darkrai's Night of Terror, and maybe more (and creative) Pokémon roleplays, as well as some original fantasy, perhaps RPG type roleplays.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Ok guys, message received. I'm gonna start planning another round of the RPOs!

when RPing i have a bad habit of making my characters follow my decisions, rather than the decisions the character would make. i dont have a type of character i prefer to use, but typicaly they are inteligent or hard working. both those skills dig me out of bad situations or encounters. i'm pretty flexible when it comes to RPs.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I've been thinking a lot lately about the 2014 I had, which was frankly awful. A slue of personal and health related problems impacted both the amount of free time I had and how I got to spend it, which meant less time RPing than I wanted. It also meant I had to drop out of the amazing One Piece RP currently going on, something I regret every time I visit the forums. Those guys are killing it, kudos to all of them.

So my major RP regret of 2014 was not seeing through a project I had passion for and letting some good folks down. I resolve to not let that happen again.

Got any 2014 RP regrets? An unfinished RP, a RP you wish you signed up for but never did? How do you hope to improve your RP experience this year?

The Charred Mecha Dragon Zero

The Dragoness Artist
    Years
  • Nakuzami said:
    It's no secret that I have . . . a lot of characters.

Ha ha. Same here. XD I actually have an entire (fictional) world's worth of characters. XD Which leads to my answer on...

Typically, they depend on what I feel like doing or if they go with the RP at all, as I rarely make characters on the spot. In fact, my trainer character in The Summit is a character I've developed in a RP that my brother and I have done for the past four years (and counting!), as I get very attached to my characters. XP But my favorites are the energetic crazy and somewhat rude characters, aaaand the tragic past characters. Villains are usually the ones to fall in the latter category.

But one thing in common that my characters share is that they're nice or once nice. And each is a little insight to parts of my personality. XP

As for regrets, I don't have any. Long term regrets, that is. XP

Years
  • Got any 2014 RP regrets?

I always regret it when my RPs don't finish, my biggest RP regret of last year though would definitely be not seeing my RP the Hoenn Diaries finish. I'd worked hard on it and planned *numerous* chapters ahead so it was kind of disappointing when it died at around the third or fourth chapter.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    What kinds of characters do I like roleplaying as? Oh, I typically roleplay as myself. A me-type character. It started to get stale a few years back, but I figured out how to keep it interesting: explore various angles of my personality. Each incarnation of myself is different, even if they have traits in common. Most people frown on self-inserts, but I try to be careful to avoid those wish fulfillment Mary-Sue stigmas everyone slaps in my face. I play myself because I understand me in very great detail, due to many years of rigorous study, and it allows me to make a complex and compelling character. On the other hand, people outside of myself are a huge mystery, so I have trouble separating myself from the character.

Even if a character is a little farther off than a straight version of me, it's still me. Every character is a version of myself.

So what kinds of characters are these usually? Oh, they're typically socially awkward and clueless, kind of cute to whatever male character appears. (I've done romance plots with this so many times. People love it for some reason.) As well as being super mysterious, quiet, and having some huge involvement with the plot relic. Kind of a damsel in distress. Lately, they've been getting more confident in their abilities though, and have been more bookish, authoritative librarian types. (Or scientists... I drool over these) Sometimes there are more strict portrayals. They're always intelligent and knowledgeable about the lore as well, so I'm typically a bit of the exposition fairy.

Other times, I go with a more hot-headed persona. A particular favorite of mine is a bit of wish fulfillment: a physically active energetic OC I called Anna Salska. She punches things and that is awesome. I am just fascinated by someone who just goes out there and is hot-headed and impulsive in ways I am not. She's rather away from a straight self-insert, but does share my temper.

Lately, I've also become fond of playing a robotic emotionless character. (KOS-MOS of Xenosaga.) I'm not too good at this role, but it's still really fun and refreshing to just not react to everything as I do.

Characters though are something I need to work on. I'm trying to make my portrayals of myself more interesting whilst keeping some of that social awkwardness in there. A shy character is such a challenge to play, it makes it difficult to be relevant to the story.

As for my 2014 RP regrets, the only one I have is that I haven't gotten as far in my personal roleplay with my fiance as we should have. Due to various circumstances such as crashing into a huge plot wall, and then getting inflicted with physical ailments. (I'm still sick.) But I hope we can continue onwards to the next chapter (after loads of editing because that's the only way we can get around that plot hole) and finish it this year.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Got any 2014 RP regrets?

My only regret is that I could not, due to real life problems, manage to give myself entirely into my RP, pour my soul to it and offer the players I've promised a fun game to the best kind of experience I could offer them. I didn't have time or energy to plan the RP very thoroughly and with great care before or after it aired, and the result was a half-hearted experience that is still somehow surprisingly satisfying to the people I RP with, perhaps because of the delivery. They're the reason I keep it up; they love the story and insisted on keeping it alive. Were it otherwise, I would've dropped it months ago.

That being said, I'm grateful for how it turned out as an experience. Now I know what I did right and what I did wrong when planning an RP, what were my strengths during its life and what were my weaknesses. Having asserted those, my next project for 2015 will be a massive improvement.

Years
  • What kinds of characters do you like role-playing as?

I've noticed two distinct archetypes in the characters I play. Usually in Pokemon or other monster type games I play a big, kind of dumb brute. I used to be really over the top about it, my characters basically cavemen who could barely speak, but recently I've softened it to more gentle giant style characters.

In Trainer style games, I like to play the explorer. A somewhat absent minded person who likes to see new things and go off on adventures. One of my favorite characters on this site was from an RP a couple years ago called Fresh Start. I've gone back and read it several times, and keep trying to recreate that character, but can never quite recapture the magic.

Other than that, my process is to design a character based on some pre-existing character I'm fond of, modified to fit the RP. And usually I give them a nice hat, because I'm quite fond of hats myself. You can actually track my preference over the years if you read over my old characters.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't regret much about my 2014 RPing. It was a pity that I had to pause Crossroads for a while, but we managed. It was a good thing I kept myself from making more RPs! Still, 2015 will certainly turn out better ^^

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Got any 2014 RP regrets?

Mmm, I couuld of been a little bit more dedicated towards my RPs, but, fortunately I'm starting to fix that habit. :3

But luckily the RP I'm in has such wonderful people that encourages each other~

Tixen

*Insert something witty here*
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2015
    What kinds of characters do you like role-playing as?

Having a look back at some of my more memorable characters, there is a bit of a trend that stands out for me. I like playing characters that I can emotionally break (as bad as that sounds), because I find it enjoyable to explore how each character deals with differently with the scenario I make them handle. I enjoy writing inner conflicts in morality and characters struggling to come to terms with exactly who they are. Most of the time, a really decisive character who knows exactly who they are and what they want bores me to write, as I see no fun in having the character remain 100% true to themselves and their morals throughout the story - its far more interesting to have what the believed to be challenged, to have them doubt themselves, and then through that doubt, they eventually are forced to confront themselves.

A lot of these seem to involve dealing with the act of killing - an old character of mine from here, Nieves Johnson, I planned to centre much of her development through the RP on coming to terms with the fact that she had to murder someone in order to escape with her life. Micheal Divine focused on someone who was pretending to be someone else whenever he had to do anything violent to achieve his desires, and then pretending that that other person who did those deeds wasn't him. Hell, even Blair Addams from the Summit, who is probably one of the least conflicted characters I've created still has parental abandonment issues to deal with, and will have to learn if her (rather spiteful) way of dealing with this is the best thing to do or not. But hey, that's just what feels the most fun to me really.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back