• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gold > Ethan

Gold to Ethan

• I Love the idea!

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Why would they do such a thing?

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • I don't care...

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Ethan is the better name. You only like the name "Gold" because you're used to it.

Years
  • Ethan is the better name. You only like the name "Gold" because you're used to it.
    truer words havent been spoken

In Japan, Red and Green(Gary's real name, its not blue.) sounded like cool names to have since they were english, its quite hard to explain but also they go along with the titles of the games. It is like of instance, Kiba Inuzuka off of Naruto, his dog is called "Akamaru" which is pretty much means "Red". To english people this sounds better than calling it "Red", simply because its in a different language. Its the other way around here, instead of giving Red and Green normal names, they make them sound foreign by using Red and Green. (sorry if you dont understand, its hard to explain.) the same goes for Gold, Silver Crystal, etc.....
    ええ、私は大学で日本語を習ったから、それがもうわかりましたよ。 でも、名前なら、レッドがまだバカね。 そうして、エタンは名前がすごいほうがいいよ。 日本語を知らなかったら、じゃ、すみません。

Red is a real name though, haven't you have heard of Red Skelton the comedian or Red Forman, the fictional dad on That 70's Show. Oh, and would you rather be named Red or Ashley, which is what Ash is probably short for since, despite popular belief, is a duel gender name.

Honestly, I think Gold sounds cooler, since I like color based names. Red and Crystal however, are real names that both sound good. Silver might be too, I'd have to check.

i have a cousin named ash, short for ashraf, its an arab name.

Last edited:

Jack Kentnon

Derp Trainer
    Years
  • Personally, I don't care. I prefer Gold's design a little more because he does not look like a girl. But that's as far as my consern goes, as you can name them your self.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I like Gold's design way more, although I don't dislike Ethan's design. However, name wise, They shouldn't have made his default name Ethan. I don't like it. It's what Ike says if you use his ^+B on Brawl. Gold is a much better default name.

Filozofio

Hand Over The Candy
    Years
  • Ethan was my ex-boyfriend's name. I almost killed someone when I found out that he was my new best friend. ;n;

Gold is better in my mind.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Ugh. The name Ethan reminds me too much of the Ethan Allen chain of home furnishing stores. Which isn't a good thing because every time he calls I'm expecting him to offer me 20% discounts on this beautiful six-piece Victorian-style bedroom set, once $799, now only $639! And I'm utterly disappointed when it's about his Marill that evolves but doesn't actually evolve. I want my discounted bedroom set, Ethan (Allen)!

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2010
    I definitely prefer the name Ethan. I was never a huge fan of the game names being the hero names. The only one that works and that I like is probably Crystal. xD

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I don't mind, really. At least they didn't name him Bob or Roger.

Red's a real name, though :< same with Crystal

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
  • I preferred Gold. It was the name of the Pokemon Special character, which is the BEST Pokemon manga ever written.

Years
  • OMG ITS GOLD!!!!

...oh no... watch out for 'Ethan'

Idk if it is just me, but Gold sounds like a more powerful name

you gotta ask yourself what type of parent would name their child gold.
    gold is a metal.. its like naming your son tin or aluminum. it sounds pretty stupid in my opinion >.>

if you're going to start naming your child names that you wouldnt even name a dog like names of objects why not just start naming them w/e like lysol or tree branch.

ethan > gold

Back