• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gotta see 'em all?

Years
  • I really doubt it, in FR/LGyou could only get Kanto pokemon until you reached sevi islands and you could then get some Johto Pokemon, We will just have to wait and see if they are or not, Hopefully, there not.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
  • Well, it's like how did Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto Pokémon get to Sinnoh in DPPt. It's just like reality, the migration or movement of animals from one location to the next and then the production of breeding between the lines.

Also, what was said, I'd like to keep the nostalgic feel of the game as well without the newer Generation in too early.
    That makes sense. xD;;; I personally want to keep Sinnoh Pokemon out of Johto though. I mean... how weird would it be if Bidoof was one of the first wild Pokemon in the game?

But then again, I wasn't really a fan of a lot of the Sinnoh Pokemon, so my mindset is, "zomg keep them away until later in the game D:"

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2013
    I actually think that in the beginning, the game will allow the use of the time machine (which could be more like the pal park) with the Red/Blue remakes. Then, after you beat the Elite Four and get the National Dex, you can trade with R/S/E and D/P/Plt. But I don't think you will find wild Sinnoh pokemon. Maybe Sinnoh pre-evolutions...

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    I hope that they at least include the evolutions of Johto/Kanto Pokemon in the regional Dex. With the whole Notched-Ear Pichu event involving trading the shiny to HGSS, it's implied that trading from DPPt to HGSS will be possible unlike FRLG/RSE.

Thank God.

it is possible to trade between FRLG and RSE though.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
  • it is possible to trade between FRLG and RSE though.
    I think they mean before a certain point in the game.
    In FRLG and RSE you had to get to a certain point in the Sevii Islands part before you could trade in FRLG and RSE.

So there's hints that you'll be able to trade before later in the game for GSDS and DPPt

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    What hints are those, just because the pich event is in the Ilex forest?
    There's no reason to assume that it's the first Ilex forest visit as opposed to one after having gained the national dex.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I would love to have Sinnoh Pokémon AFTER we get the national dex, in either Kanto or Johto/ But until then we should just have Johto/Kanto.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    Maybe if you mix records with D/P/Pt or maybe in Kanto (or the Sevii Islands if they are included remember how Johto Pokemon were available there?)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Similar threads be a-merged. Now, carry on!

Personally, I'd be fine if they stick to the 3rd/4th gen Pokemon being found after the National dex and all is obtained, or something like that, or if they only allowed those into the dex which evolve from 1st/2nd gen Pokemon, such as Magnezone and so forth. Not that I don't like the Sinnoh Pokemon or anything, but just personal preference, I suppose.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I hope the do the see 'em all instead of the catch 'em all. I hated catching it was so time wasting that I almost quit playing the game. I rather see, and hope they add the Sinnoh Pokémon after you get the National Dex.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I really do hope that they do this instead of catching them, I remember all that time breeding and etc just to complete the dex. >.< It took too much time up.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It did take quite a bit of time actually and it was something that gave me too much of a challenge to do because it drew away most of the fun. Having to catch so many Pokémon just to get the National Dex just over did it for me, and when Sinnoh came out with the new feature of simply having to see them it brought me back into the fun. I was able to travel further on, and do the interesting things the game permitted afterwards. So, hopefully they'll keep it and not make us have to catch a certain amount to gain new items or to move fowards after beating the Elite.

Bay

Years
  • I don't mind too much of trying to catch a certain amount of Pokemon to gain some items when I played the RBY games (I think RSE does that too, can't remember). That's actually what I like about the games as that is a challenge that isn't too hard nor too easy, just right. I didn't have trouble able to get twenty Pokemon (yes, sometimes I stayed around a bit, but hey, training FTW XD ).

I would prefer the seeing them all instead of catching them all concept in the remakes though as catching them all is a bit of a challenge and not only it's time consuming, not everybody has Wi-Fi working (like me x_x) nor internet at home, etc.

Years
  • Seeing is best for receiving the NatDex, but I'd prefer if the Pokédex and Save Screens reported kinds owned, not seen.

There are just too many features of the game you only have access to after receiving the NatDex for them to make it too hard to get.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Yet there's nothing stopping you from catching all to begin with. It's not like you get anything for catching 'em all except a dumb certificate. Not like that's a bad thing but... not much of an incentive to attempt such a difficult task, especially in regards to those that aren't in a particular version of the game. WiFi remedies the problem many older fans have but then you have these idiots who are trying to get Celebi for their Glameow...
    What's wrong wtith a certificate?

That what makes it so hard and challenging, the fact that the player would need to go to other versions and region to complete his or her dex. There would always be those kind of individuals, even if the 'see 'em all' or 'catch 'em all' theme is the feature of that game.

Even if we were to catch them all, I'd think they'd follow up like how they accomplished it in Emerald. We's still gain the National Dex after beating the Elite Four, and we'd still see new and old generation encounters, but we wouldn't have been able to choose any of the other region starters that they had offered. Even with that thought, I wouldn't expect them to change the way from what they introduces in DPPt as it was a pretty good success for the games and a lot of players didn't mind it too much as it never stopped them from still trying to catch them all if they desired to do so.
    It could work in this remake as well. Once the player completes the regional Pokédex, he/she would have the chance to obtain Hoenn's starter, and once he/she finishes the Hoenn's part of the national Pokédex, he/she is eligible to get one of Sinnoh's.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Catching them all would be a major pain, I like how DPPt was just seeing them all, I hope Nintendo implements that into the remakes.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    What's wrong wtith a certificate?
    It's just so "ehhhhhhhhh" as a reward. The player puts in so many hours to get all the Pokemon. The training, the traveling all over the region, the battling, the catching, the searching, the trading. The player (if they don't cheat to make things easier) puts in hours and hours of work into the game. And the only reward that they get in return is a certificate saying "Great Job! :D"

It's just so low of a reward.

But I don't know what else would be a reward in-game. Just that a certificate, and just a certificate, isn't much of an incentive to do all the work of completing the Pokedex.

As for the topic asked in the OP, I prefer the seeing method. It means that I can play the game, focusing the game time getting through the story raising the Pokemon that I want on my final team while still completing my Pokedex enough to get the National Dex. Then, once I have no part of the storyline to get through, I can raise the Pokemon that I didn't before much easier because the entire region is open to me. So I can easily EV train a Pokemon if I want, or speed train if I want, or search for a particular Pokemon to catch while training. It's just easier to do that after the playtime, and when I have the National Dex.

Back