• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grammar.

Kitty-Kat

Shirley Huge Chest
Years
  • I don't have to try to use good grammar, I just do. It's actually harder for me to type in 1337 speak or chat-speak than it is to type normally. Because that's just the way I learned how to do it. :P
    Sometimes poor grammar annoys me, especially when you can't understand what they're saying. D:
    And I believe that since we're typing on a forum, not IMing or texting, people should at least edit their messages, because you have the time [and the key0s :P] [[<--- lol, there is an 0 in keys because my cat Tiger stepped on the 0 while I was typing and I don't feel like removing it XD I am a bit hypocritical I suppose. Oh well! :P]]

Konkat

So Square I'm Pixelated
    Years
  • Yes childrens, watch your speller and gramming. o_o

Talker like these are an badly things. *shot*

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • HAI HAI U U
    i doont liek ur grlfirend
    NOO WAI NOO WAI
    i tink u needz a knew 1

---

Quite.
    Good grammer is well.
    Very Well.

*straightens out monicle*

"chat-spk" was only created for blokes and lassies who don't exactly know how to spell a certain word.
    It's good and dandy, but only used in moderation.

For example:

"Dude, do I luv cheese"

Notice how there is only one converted word in the sentence.
    It means you're happy and such.

Now, the type of chatspeak that isn't tolerable is when the words exceed the limit of one to three words.

For example:

"Duudddeeee, due i LUV pumpzkinz :D"

*cough cough*

Indeed.
    It's only as annoying as the person who types it.

So, baiscally,
    if you find yourself alone with an annoying person who happens to be a newbie,
    you are screwed, sir/madame.

*monicle falls off*

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I hate when people leave me long messages and can't use commas or periods. The run-ons kill me. ;o;

You would have hated me in 2005 then. XD

hi im tater tot and i wanna make new freinds cuz i like freinds cuz ppl should hang on to freinds or life and i liek pc a lot cuz i have lots of friends u know man and guess wat i just made a new freind how awsom is dat u know

I hate that. -.-

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • Oh dear, run-on sentences are like nails to my eyeballs. X_x

I'm a fan of grammar. I really don't like the vast new members we get here that know exactly how to type and write correctly and just choose not to because "it's just a forum" or "it's about Pokemon, I'm not in skool why shud i spell riht?" -_-

Hello..just because it's a forum, doesn't mean people can read that crap.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    *straightens out monicle*

"chat-spk" was only created for blokes and lassies who don't exactly know how to spell a certain word.
    It's good and dandy, but only used in moderation.
    It's spelt monocle.

As I've been told, chat/text speak actually originated from early mobile phones capable of text messaging having a limit on how many characters could be entered per message. To fit more into the message, people omitted vowels and most grammatical marks, contracted words, replaced some multiple-letter sounds and some short words with numbers that when spoken made the same sound, et caetera.
    The irony stands, however, that most text messages are short regardless. 'Chtspk' has become more of a trend than anything now...

Last edited:

The Darkroom

Pretty Dang Snazzy
    Years
  • I try (98% of the time) to use correct grammar, and I always use correct spelling. Chat speak is possibly the most irritating thing in the history of forever. And it takes longer to type things incorrectly than to type them correctly, in my opinion.

But there are times when people take grammar to the extreme, and that is annoying. [example: correcting someone for saying 'the family is divided rather than 'are divided', which is technically correct.]

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
  • I believe that, in general, I have a decent understanding of English grammar. I almost never misspell a word, and when I do, I'm angry at myself. Typo or no typo, improper use of grammar with others and myself bothers me to the smallest degree. I understand that we're human and all make mistakes, but personally, I get bothered a bit.

Though, speaking for myself, I think that I overuse many English words. Also, my individual commas used in PC = number of insane people in the world.

Furanty

神の右手
    Years
  • As a foreign speaker, it is important for me, to do correctly grammar. In school it is much easier than here, I think. But I can say you, that you should be happy. English grammar is so much easier than German grammar.

I hope I used correctly grammar,
    Denis

austin00081

young money
    Years
  • As a foreign speaker, it is important for me, to do correctly grammar. In school it is much easier than here, I think. But I can say you, that you should be happy. English grammar is so much easier than German grammar.

I hope I used correctly grammar,
    Denis

Ja, Deutsch ist schwerr fur mich. Ich spreche nicht so gut, aber ich will besser Deutsch sprechen.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • It's spelt monocle.

Really? i've heard it's spelt

Y-O-U-R F-A-C-E

quite.
    perhaps we shouldn't care about these grammar issues, blokes and lassies.
    it's the internet.

if you get mad at a person because they don't use grammar, you're
    a troll, my children.

now, i'm going to enjoy tea and crumpets.

*sips tea*

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I think that I'm quite good at grammar, and use it most the time (even on MSN).
    Most people think I type like that because I'm smart, but it's really only because I'm careful with my words.

And I don't despise chat-speak, as long as I can actually read it, it's fine for me.

Years
  • I am afraid I do not really care about my gramer. If it is understandable then what is the problem.
    I think it is just because I am lazy!

Kitty-Kat

Shirley Huge Chest
    Years
  • It's spelt monocle.

As I've been told, chat/text speak actually originated from early mobile phones capable of text messaging having a limit on how many characters could be entered per message. To fit more into the message, people omitted vowels and most grammatical marks, contracted words, replaced some multiple-letter sounds and some short words with numbers that when spoken made the same sound, et caetera.
    The irony stands, however, that most text messages are short regardless. 'Chtspk' has become more of a trend than anything now...

It's spelled "spelled". :P

I figured that's what happened. That and people being lazy while IMing. XD I used to use chat speak all the time while IMing, but now I just take a little extra time to type out my words. It's easy for me because I've been typing for so long, it's super easy for me.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I'm a total Grammar Nazi, yeah I'll admit it openly. I bug people all the time about not using proper grammar, I usually come off as looking like a smart ass, but It just annoys me to death. -_-

Back