• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grass in towns. What's your stance?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    To keep it simple:
    People mow their grass around their house.
    People do NOT go out of their way to mow grass on Routes.

Therefore- tall grass should not be in towns.

Pokemonguy1990

Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator
    Years
  • I feel that there are exceptions to every rule.

Yes, I do see grass in towns as un-appealing, but in some cases it may be needed.
    I"m currently working on a hack, where the towns were built to co-reside with nature, so to give it that concept, i have Taller grass "creeping" in on the towns, near the entrances, in corners where nothing else is built, and along side a river that runs though one of my towns.

I've also used it to give inaccessible areas i bit more flare, like on the sides of hills, and as gardens and "farms"

I feel it's not that it should be avoided, but it SHOULD be used sparingly, and only if it looks good, Having grass around say pallet town or lavender town is okay, but it shouldn't be all over places like Celadon and Saffron.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    It all depends. If it is a big city or a halfway-decent town with people living there it would make sense that there would be no tall grass. However if it is an abandoned town, or perhaps a settlement that is inhabited by a people who want the grass there than it is fine and makes sense.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    If the player can walk in it, then it's bad. If it's for decoration, then sure!

Jet Jathor

Pokewatcher & Collector
    Years
  • Hahahahahahahahh---NO.

I think it's perfectly acceptable given the setting, for example, i'm planning a hack (not hacking, planning) of Ruby where I'm going to have Verdanturf town overrun with tall grass. Because it's Verdanturf. Capiche?
    and musician of literature, I could not agree more. :=|

h0b0

Dark Gengar
    Years
  • i think grass in towns is a good idea if its inside a fence and is only accessible after the player has completed a certain achievement, like complete the pokedex, then the grass could have a rare pokemon or a higher chance for shiny or higher leveled pokemon, with a very low encounter rate of course.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • i think grass in towns is a good idea if its inside a fence and is only accessible after the player has completed a certain achievement, like complete the pokedex, then the grass could have a rare pokemon or a higher chance for shiny or higher leveled pokemon, with a very low encounter rate of course.

Events are suitable for achievements, not grass. Plus additional shiny percentage would ruin the special feeling of encountering one. Do whatever you like but that's my opinion.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    it all depends on the type of town, if pokemon will appear, what pokemon appear, and if there is an event related to the grass, like spotting of rare pokemon.

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    there is no reason to have grass in towns unless its in a secluded area, otherwise it should simply be left in routes

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    This is slightly against the grain but I think that there may be ways that this would be just fine. For example, in a tropical environment in a small town there might be only a path to get to all the homes and businesses. Just a note about something like that though, the catch rate would be low because of the fact that there are people

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    In other people's hacks, I honestly think it's a case-by-case thing. If it's used effectively, then sure. I'll take it. But if not...

In my own hack, I don't think I'd ever put tall grass in a town. It detracts from the real games, which I use as a basis of how things should be done. Having tall grass and finding wild Pokemon in towns... just doesn't feel like Pokemon.

Years
  • i think that:
    there could be grass in one city of a game, with a really low encounter rate, but you could get rare pokemon there.
    so that would be cool :)

Years
  • Grass in towns? Maybe.
    Grass in abandoned towns sounds like a route with some ruins to me.
    Pokémon in a farm city are OK, but in a big city they are REALLY out of place.
    The best thing that comes to my mind is putting them in degraded cities with a low-medium encounter rate and very few people (there is degrade, who can move, does).

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I like putting a little bit of grass on the sides of towns, where you aren't forced to walk. I never put any Pokemon in them though... Just for decoration :D I guess it's OK to add grass in places, whether you put Pokemon in is your choice.

2RandomStudios

Angry Jigglypuff
    Years
  • in some of my towns i put some grass scattered throughout the town, not in patches though. If i do put in patches of grass, i dont have any wild pokemon data, mabye like a 1% encounter ratio, but thats it. It gives the hack a bit of realism

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I think if I had to walk through even one square of grass in a town I might quit the hack right there, especially if I ran into a pokemon. I hate trying to get back to a pokemon center enough but having it happen in a town would be awful. But if it was off to the side and there was one to 3 squares behind a house or something it would be alright

DragonsCanBite

Ancient Member
    Years
  • To me, this is acceptable grass in a town map:

Grass in towns.  What's your stance?

Randomly placing grass right in the middle of places, however? Nope, I don't buy into that kind of grass spamming.

Of course, my first map edit ever was me filling Litteroot to the brim with tall grass, so I can't exactly look down on any newbies for doing that without being a hypocrite. :P

Itzzaboy

Shuckle Lover
    Years
  • I think grass in towns is debatable, not only whther the town is developed or not, but also how much realism/ orignal nintendo ideas into the game.

if you want to add realism or creativity to a game, by all means experiment with grass in towns, for any of the above suggestions, inxluding outskirts, abandoned areas ect.

if you want it to be like nintendos games, only do it in inaccesible ares or the back of daycares.

Me? i usually do have a town with grass in, bt its fenced off in a corner, you can only get in if you choose to, and sometimes add a rock-smash rock or a cut tree to block it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I agree with Itzzaboy, most of you who live in a town or city will have probably seen areas of abandoned or unused land, and if it's left alone for a while, you'll soon see grass that goes up to your waist. To me, that would be an acceptable place to put tall grass on a game, on a wasteland area or surrounding a demolished/abandoned building or something like that and it could still be part of the town or city.

Also, like in a real city you should be able to pass it without having to cross it.

Back