• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grass in towns. What's your stance?

Gl!tch

AFK
Years
  • Honestly, I hate it. I can understand MAYBE 1 or 2 towns, but honestly each time it catches me off guard I get terribly frustrated. You won't see any of that nonsense in any of my hacks, haha.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I don't do grass in towns and cities. Always. It just doesn't fit them. (Grass in bridge areas? Sure - BW did that.)

heartofdestany

aspiring mapper
    Years
  • If your town is a farming community your going to want grass in town, my whole stance on it is to make it gimmicky you don't have to add pokemon in the grass. and don't make houses inaccessible by using it to much, also just remember what kind of town it is before hand putting grass in a big city like golden rod is a nono but it shoul be okay for like farm towns, ghost towns, gardens and abandoned buildings or science research facilities or green houses places you would expect to see a little greenery

Pika-power

Jesus of Suburbia
    Years
  • For Decoration

I only use grass in towns or cities when its decoritaive, such as someone's garden. Randomly putting grass in a city? nope

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • If you can be original with it, then yeah, it's a good idea, but if you're just using it in the middle of paths and such then it's completely pointless and should be, as the above poster said, "illigal".

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • I would never put grass in a town or city. It just doesn't make sense for an established, populated settlement to have areas where wild pokémon roam.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    I would never put grass in a town or city. It just doesn't make sense for an established, populated settlement to have areas where wild pokémon roam.

Not even in a trophy garden or similar? Perhaps someone is a wildlife fanatic and wants to attract the pokemon to observe? There's plenty of reasons that make sense.

Grass being randomly spammed? No, that's too far, but when it's used logically and in reasonable amounts it can really add to the place.

People need to stop getting so butthurt over it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I would tell you guys when it is appropriate, but I am using that/those ideas in a hack, I don't want it to seem unoriginal.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    I prefer it only if it is a ghost town or an abandoned house.
    lol thats cool that u said that because i have a ghost town n theres just little patches of grass in it so thatll be cool :D

but anyway i like grass in towns but NOT TOO MUCH! i personally add grass in my towns for the sheer conveinience, my hack seems to be pretty challenging so far and id like to grind in conveinient places. too much grass in an unreasonable spot is a good reason to complain

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2011
    I made an Emerald hack as a joke where the whole region was pretty much dead and grass was everywhere. It turned out... pretty bad. I could make a better one today, as I have more tools to use. Grass in towns is not bad, except in my old hack I had an unavoidable grass patch right in front of my house with a 100% encounter rate with a level 100 Groudon. Hey, it was a joke.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Grass is grass, why the heck wouldn't we put it in towns?

Of course, that's just the opinion most of the "natural" hackers have (I guess).

I'd put the grass so you wouldn't have to walk through it to go from place to place, or just remove the wild Pokemon data so you wouldn't have any trouble in town (which is kinda weird, that's what routes are for, right?). Anyhow, it looks cool imo.

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    Obviously, the moral behind this thread is, "it depends."

You have the hardcore rightwing who are telling you that they will [insert illegal activity here] your [insert close family member or friend here] if you even so much as mention grass, and then the naturalists who are telling you to... erm... "spam level 100 bidoofs."

I think that anything can be pulled off, it's just a matter of how.

So my two cents are, without ruining the creative process by making a long, comprehensive list:
    -Abandoned town-like areas that aren't in this sense a town: Almost mandatory.
    -Well established cities: Not even if you need it for a plot element.
    -Natural based towns: Yes, but...
    1) Grass just needs Pokémon data. It's irritating and confusing to walk in "empty" tall grass. So, don't add rares, and keep the encounter rate LOW.
    2) Because it needs Pokémon data, NEVER make this one of the first towns.
    -Inaccessible grass? No. If you want to fence off some grass in a city, make it possible to get there somehow. Think of all the lame fences in RSE - leave the town and loop around the fence. Grass should never ONLY be present as a decorative feature. However, if there is already accessible grass, then it's ok to have some inaccessible decorative grass.

[/long, comprehensive list]

There is my opinion. Now go and study.
    -Lyzák

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Water has been used before in the past as a place to find Pokemon within towns so I don't think grass within the town is too strange an idea.

I believe that the location has to be appropriate though. You're not going to expect to see high grass in a city but you would expect to see it in a small town.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i think its ok i corners of the town or other places you arent required to go to

Back