• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leader/Elite Four Difficulty

Redline

Stare into the blankness
Years
  • I didnt have any problems with the Gyms but in the Elite Four, Cynthia's Garchomp kept pwning me. I was only able to beat her because her Garchomp missed and I used Destiny Bond using my Gengar.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
  • When I faced the gym leaders in Diamond/Pearl for the first time, here's how it went:

Roark: He was surprisingly difficult to beat. I had all my Pokemon at level 10, and picked Turtwig as a starter, but his Cranidos was difficult to beat--it was both fast and had high Attack. I ended up narrowly defeating him with my Starly... In future games though, I raised my Pokemon to level 15 and thus was able to beat him much more easily.

Gardenia: Not that difficult with level 20 Pokemon. When I faced her in Pearl I had Drifloon and Combee on my team, and my Combee especially was able to resist the Grass attacks, and because she was light, she took about 1 damage from Grass Knot. I wore her Pokemon down with Gust.

Maylene: Her Lucario was a bit tricky, especially since none of my Pokemon had a Fighting or Fire or Ground-type attack, but fortunately I had a Misdreavus on my team and she was immune to fighting attacks (although all her attacks weren't very effective against Lucario).

Crasher Wake: That Floatzel OHKO'd my Roselia with Ice Fang, and all my Pokemon were slower than him. Even my Luxio was only able to get in one Spark before being KO'd. I think it was my Prinplup who finished him off.

Fantina: The funny part about this battle was that both of us had Misdreavus and Drifblim in our team, and my Misdreavus beat hers. My Luxray was able to handle the rest of her Pokemon pretty easily, knowing Bite, but Drifblim took a little while because it knew Stockpile.

Byron: This was an easy battle, save for his Bastiodon having high defenses. My Purugly was able to KO him in two Digs, and my Empoleon OHKO'd his Steelix with Surf.

Candice: The easiest of the gym leaders in my opinion. My Vespiquen 2HKO'd her Abomasnow with Attack Order and all Abomasnow did inbetween was use Wood Hammer, which only did a sliver of damage. The stupid plant didn't have the sense to use an ice attack! The Medicham threw me off, but my Mismagius OHKO'd it with Shadow Ball.

Volkner: He was pretty easy to beat. The funny part was that my level 47 Luxray beat his level 49 Luxray, without any items. His Luxray kept using Charge Beam or Thunder Fang, whereas mine used Crunch.

Aaron: The hardest of his Pokemon was Heracross, who I had to use Perish Song on in the end. Fortunately my Luxray was able to take care of his Vespiquen, and the other Pokemon weren't too hard.

Bertha: She was the easiest of the Elite Four. My Roserade OHKO'd her first two Pokemon (Quagsire and Whiscash) with Petal Dance, and the rest of the Pokemon surrendered to Roserade and Empoleon pretty easily.

Flint: The hardest of the Elite Four (Cynthia doesn't count). Sunny Day foiled my plan to beat him with my Empoleon's Surf, and Infernape KO'd my Purugly before she could use Dig or Dream Eater. I barely scraped by with my Mismagius there...

Lucian: He wasn't too hard to beat, actually. I had a Luxray with Crunch, a Vespiquen, and a Mismagius, and all three of them were able to handle the psychics.

Cynthia: This was a tough battle, especially since my team was just below level 55. The most unfortunate incident in that battle was when my Vespiquen battled her Lucario. It was a LONG battle, and my Vespiquen wore Lucario down with Attack Order and using Defend/Heal Order inbetween. When she finally KO'd Lucario, she had maxed-out Defense and Special Defense, so I thought she would do fine against Milotic. Wrong--Milotic's first Ice Beam got a critical hit. x_x

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I pretty much swept the E4 in Platinum, cos I stopped to put everyone up ten levels after Volkner . . . But Maylene gave me trouble. Her Lucario just had something super effective against just about EVERYTHING on my team. Now I take great pleasure in pounding her into the dust at the Battleground.

Alec_

Years
  • Candice was a bit stronger in Platinum for me. It's because i always used Potions. xD. I can beat her but she did really improved in Platinum. And about the Elite Four Lucian was hard. His Psychic Type Pokemons was too strong to beat. But i have beaten him. And about the Champion Cynthia. It was a bit easy. Except for her Garchomp and Milotic. I Have hard time battling that two pokemon. But i have beaten them. Oh well atlist i did beat them. xD

~Fairytales.

Years
  • To tell you all the truth I don't have any problems beating the Gym Leaders or the Elite Four, because before I go into battle I studied the Gym Leader Pokemon, what kind Pokemon they use (same as the elite four) and I counter it, like rock is weak against water so I use my piplup. I stack up on all kind of potions, Antidotes, Ice Heal, Burn Heal, Awakenings,Revives, Parlyz Heal, and save up the Max Revives and PP's.

I trained my team about 6 levels each town I visit or more. Before the Pokemon League , I trained all my pokemon to lvl 60 and my Empoleon to lvl 65 just in case.

The only battle that I got trouble with is the Pokemon Champion Cynthia.
    I use all kind of combos to take her other pokemon down, the pokemon that got me trouble is Gabite. X-X Or what ever Pokemon he is. and Togekiss.

I have to keep on using Hyper Potions, PP's and Revives to beat her, and it took me a hour and a half.

Cynthia is the toughest of them all X-X
    Elite 4 is just baby stuff, comparing to Cynthia.

Last edited:

Snerd

Super Nerd
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 14, 2011
    For the Gym Leaders, I'd say Candice. But that's only because I focused on raising my Roserade and then when it came to battling her all my other Pokémon were destroyed...And then Froslass owned my Roserade. D:

TeaTiMe

Breeder Elite
    Years
  • Bottom Line

Ok I think that D/P were harder for most leaders (The level scales what did it) and that platinum was quite a bit easier that being said I had problems with the elite four... but isn't that the point of the game? I thought it was perhaps I was wrong... I do that some times.
    Could be harder...yeah

UraharaSteph

Science Has Never Been So Sexy
    Years
  • Cynthia took the mick to beat! Her Pokemon was like 10 levels above my strongest Pokémon which was Vaporeon!

I beat her eventually, but that was one of the longest battles i've ever had, it made me sweat :O

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Aaron's Drapion was a tough match. Though I found it quite easy as I had the right pokémon for it. Though for some odd reason I found Bertha's Walrein quite hard.

As for the Gym Leaders, not only has Fantina given me trouble, but Volkner's Raichu has given me tons of trouble in Pokémon Pearl as well. I had rushed through the game and my pokémon did not have any moves that could bypass it. Luckily I beat it, but by severe luck. I had tough battles in Pokémon Pearl, and hopefully, I will not have trouble in Pokémon Platinum.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Wake in Platinum was extremely difficult for me. This is because, I never have liked any Pokemon that are Grass or Electric. So I never get them. I just had to go all out on power to beat him. I also had to get to a fairly high level for that point in the game.

soramararu

Warrior of the Sky
    Years
  • The gym leader i had the most trouble with would have to be Candice. I wasn't prepared well enough to fight her, but, i didn't loose. Now I am hoping that i win against Volkner.

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • The hardest gym leader I found a difficulty was Fantina's Gengar since I didn't have the right Pokemon to defeat it at first and the hardest E4 leader was difficult for me was Cynthia and her Lucario.

Years
  • Uhm, if you call owning all the gyms with pokemon 5-10 levels lower difficult, probably Byron. Yup, level 29 Magmar owned him... Still yet to take on the E4 and stuff, but the WEAK 5 pose no threat to me. It's really easy. Never really had trouble with the Gym Leaders or Weak 5 members of the 4th Gen.

TeirusuFX

-ω-
    Years
  • Who I really hate, is the E4 in Platinum the second time around. Their Pokemon boosted up over 10 levels after beating them the first time, that's so cheap.

Mainly it's because there's is no true way to power level my Pokemon (and don't suggest anything to me, because I don't have that kind of patience). So all my main Pokemon are stuck currently at level 67 and I still haven't beaten the E4 the second time.

Other than them, everyone else is cake.

shadowbmz

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    I have beaten Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
    when I first play Diamond/ Pearl I had trouble with Roark (maybe my pokemon weren't leveld enough?)
    but in Platinum I owned his Pokemon in like 1 try

Last edited:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I just found Cynthia difficult because of garchomp as I purposely didn't took an ice type in my team to make it more challenging the last time I played platinum. Even Togekiss was very persistant.(I have restarted my game now).

Back