• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Just to verify, what is the MM that you guys refer to? A quick Google gives me Meteor Mash (the move), but that doesn't sound right.

Akira Ichikawa

Pokemon Horder
    Years
  • Just to verify, what is the MM that you guys refer to? A quick Google gives me Meteor Mash (the move), but that doesn't sound right.

"MM" stands for Masuda Method. It was named after the Game Freak director, Junichi Masuda. The method involves breeding two of the same Pokemon from different countries. An egg from those Pokemon will have a higher chance of being shiny.

For example: Charmander from Japan + Charmander from Germany

It sometimes takes a while. Like, I'm breeding Charmanders right now and I'm up to over 300 eggs. But I have heard of people getting a shiny on their first batch of eggs. I suppose that some of it is still up to luck. :pink_smile:

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2015
    After hatching over 2000 eevee eggs without a shiny, I got a shiny charm then went back and got a shiny:

eevee (300 eggs)
    2 froakies (55 eggs)
    larvitar (105 eggs)
    poochena (100 eggs)

I proceeded to then go through a 4000 egg dry spell. Yes, I hatched around 4000 eggs without a shiny... but then:

Inkay (585 eggs)
    Sableye (180 eggs)
    Zorua (105 eggs)

I'm now trying for a Sandile and I'm around 200 eggs right now without a shiny.

Years
  • Wow, 4000 egg dry spell...
    I hatched over 1000 eggs for Eevee and I got nothing. That was actually the longest I ever went without getting a shiny. I gave up right there, then again I don't rely too much on MM, as most of my shinies come from Poke Radar. I may try for Eevee again, but not anytime soon. I try to do an activity while doing MM, but I end up closing the game and focusing on the activity. I am just not a huge fan of this method, haha.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I don't have the Shiny Charm and have yet to hatch a Shiny. I'm not trying for it right now, but when I do, starters will be my target. I have some nice trades with multiple IVs already. Of course, fewer in the generations not available in Kalos (Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova starters), but I have received a couple of them as well at random.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    Sorry if this question has already been answered, but does the shiny charm help with breeding or only chaining?

I just hit 100 eggs for litwick, I really want that shiny chandelure!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Sorry if this question has already been answered, but does the shiny charm help with breeding or only chaining?

I just hit 100 eggs for litwick, I really want that shiny chandelure!
    Source

"The Shiny Charm (Japanese: ひかるおまもり Shining Charm) is a key item in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 and Pokémon X and Y, acting as a reward for completing the National Pokédex.

"The Shiny Charm increases the chance of encountering a Shiny Pokémon, both in the wild and through breeding. This is known to stack with other modifiers which increase the Shiny encounter rate, such as the Masuda method."

So, I think you get five extra attempts at shininess with Masuda. Shiny Charm gives two or three more. That means it tries eight or nine times to make bred Pokémon Shiny, and failing that, you get your normal Pokémon. In the wild, three or four clicks. The Poké Radar also improves the odds if you chain correctly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2014
    Shiny eevee just hatched. o.o If it were not for my mate persisting I rest tonight since I'm sick, I would have not hatched this. My third Masuda Method shiny. 8D Yay.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I'm still on zero (unless the Unova Meowth I imported counts). I should finish my Dex sometime, but I have some breeding to complete to accomplish this. Might need some incense too.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I've been trying for a shiny Squirtle for a while. I've lost track of exactly how many eggs I've bred so far, but I think I'm around 600ish. I've had the shiny charm for the whole process (and had it for a bunch of eggs before I started this project; no shiny luck on those, either). I'm beginning to debate whether to keep at it or not. Hopefully I'll get my Squirtle soon.

Years
  • Having bad luck with the Masuda method at the moment (without the shiny charm). 1950 Eevee eggs and still no shiny Eevee in it...
    But I'm still trying, won't give up till I have that shiny Eevee!

Years
  • OMG I just got a shiny Ekans! I am not trying to get shinies, I am just breeding to complete the Pokedex! It was such a surprise! I'm so happy right now! ^^ ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2016
    I don't have enough patience for the Masuda method. It's only worked once and it was the last egg I bred before giving up....too bad it was the wrong nature. My poor shiny Arcanine -_____-

GTS is the best way. Never use wonder trade.

I've had better experiences with Wonder Trade than GTS.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Just completed a trade request. Got a Shiny Smeargle. I'll take it. :)

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    I got a shiny Froakie in 39 eggs, but this shiny charmander is taking a while to hatch.. So far at 480 eggs. I hope I can get a shiny charmander soon! Good luck on your hunts!

EDIT: So far at 630 eggs and still no shiny charmander. I hope I can get it soon!

Last edited:
    Back