• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has PokeCommunity affected you more positively or negatively?

Years
  • It's been alright. I've used it as a place to escape, and I've only begun to figure myself out after escaping, in turn, from here. But there are friends who stand the test of time. I came here looking for something, and I think I've all but squeezed out the juice worth drinking.

Years
  • I really have to say that this place has been nothing but good for me. I find it easier to meet new people than I did on the previous forum I went to, negotiating with them is more fun, and I feel more compelled to speak certain things (both Pokémon related and otherwise) given all the topics and forums available.

I stumbled across this site while I was watching YouTube videos on certain things, and I wasn't sure how often i'd be here, but after meeting certain people who have been incredibly supportive to me, I can safely say I'm not leaving this place anytime soon. :)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    The only time that PC ever felt negative to me was due to things in my offline life making me feel that way. So PC was stressing me out only because I was so stressed with my life in general, and so everything was stressful - forums included.

So PC has been pretty positive for me.

Heck, I had issues with myself and my sexuality for years, and PC was the first place that I never opened up about any of it. So it kinda kicked off those baby steps, and when I was on staff it taught me some responsibilities, and other things about myself. I've changed a lot since I left here a year or two ago, but PC helped paved the way for that. So. I can't really say anything bad about this place overall. I'm glad I've had this outlet for things, and I've met a lot of cool people here.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Definitely positive. I've met some really great friends on here that I wouldn't have met otherwise, and I've learned a lot about myself in the process. Heck, this was where I discovered my love for writing, so PC has definitely had a positive experience in my life.

Years
  • I'm on the positive bandwagon as well. It helped me make friends who actually share my love of Pokemon as opposed to people who would mock me for loving Pokemon, and I learned so much by being part of this community and I hope to remain here for many years to come.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    TPC represents for me the maxim of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'. I feel quite neutral about it overall, with matters tipping slightly over to negative.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • PC's definitely been a positive experience for me, on the whole.

There were some parts I look back on and go "I really let forum politics get to me WAY too much" because I remember during some drama I'd be so on edge that it would start to affect my daily life and mood when I wasn't on PC. And occasionally I'd get too addicted to this site and avoid other responsibilities, too.

But for the most part, I've really enjoyed my time here and I think it had a positive effect on me. As of this summer, I'll have been on PC for 12 years, give or take a few months of inactivity. For almost 10 of those years, I was on staff. I learnt a lot about dealing with people, handling responsibility, and so on. I'm a very patient person now and I got reeeaaally good at diplomacy and problem solving. I also made a lot of really close friends (one of which I currently live with), although lately I haven't talked to most of them as much as I'd like. If I could name one thing that's affected the way I grew up, matured, and developed (besides my family) the most, I think PC would be at the top of the list.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I would say it's positive. I've made great friends here, I've gained a more wordly view on many things, I've learned to deal with my reluctance to change better, I've met someone I fell in love with here, I've had my heart broken here, I've seen a wider array of people here than I would in real life where I am, I've learned a lot about myself, and overall, I've developed a lot here. It's essentially part of what's shaped me, honestly. I've been here since I was 15. Things like that tend to happen when you're here for nearly six years straight. It's pretty incredible because never did I think when I signed up here that I'd be typing all that I've gained from it six years later.

Years
  • A mix of both, I suppose. PokeCommunity has been a great way to spend time here, which is a positive in many ways. On the other hand, sometimes it has been a distraction to my already busy real life schedule. (mayB bcoz yall r soo kewl)

Also this is not solely down to PokeCommunity, but I think internet forums as a whole provided a way for me to improve my reading, writing, "debating" skills, and even improve my maturity in some way in observing people that are different to me.

Years
  • The only negative I can think of after joining PC is that it adds even more of a distraction to my already procrastinating nature XD Otherwise, the people who I've met here, and have become close friends have made me realize that life is worth living. I mentioned in the member appreciation thread that Dakota and Cordelia have both, in a way, continuously pushed me towards the whole philosophy of having no regrets, and doing whatever I want to do without over thinking everything. I think it's definitely a positive thing when I'm starting to feel comfortable outside my original comfort zone.

STEELDRAGON*

A Very Too Cool For School Charizard :)
    Years
  • I'm gonna have to say, the pokecommunity has been a pretty fun experience for me. I love the fact I can trade and battle with other people that like to play pokemon! I'm still in the process of building ma team, it's gonna take a while.

Years
  • I definitely think PC has left a positive outcome for my life currently. This is the first forum I've been on where the community is international, and with that in mind, I've learned a bit of differences between dialect. It also helped me continue my liking for Pokémon, which used to be on and off, and I'm sure it would have still been that way if it weren't for PC.

The people I've made friends with here are also amazing to chat with, and this place also has to be home to the least intimidating and most friendly forum staff any community could ask for as well.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • So far PC has been such a positive place for me - recently it has helped me a lot with not getting depressed (with loosing my grandma) and kept my mind with positive good thoughts and lots of interesting and funny topics as well.

Yukari

I'm tempted to say neutral, but... honestly... It's kinda positive. Really I (At least think.) that the Pokecommunity forums has changed me for the better. I (Think) that I've grown more mature since I've started, and really I love talking to people on here. So I think the only change has been for the better.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2014
    So far (though I'm bound to run into something ugly sometime) it has been positive. PC is where I run to when I'm either frustrated or confused. Most of the time both. I don't hold the steadiest life in the world and it's nice to go somewhere where I can feel relaxed and content. Also, Pokemon isn't the most popular thing to be doing in our school. I'd say about 10 out of 1000 of us actually play it. 'Pokemon is gaaay!' God, how many times have I heard that now. People here share my interests, and it's always fun to hear what other people think. I mess something up IRL? Ten minutes here, and I'm golden.

10/10.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I've met wonderful people here who, quite frankly, I'd like to meet someday because they're amazing (you know who you guys are :p). So yes, PC has generally affected me positively.

This place has contributed to my unhealthy habit of being on the internet all day, though. I guess if you're somewhat of an introvert like me, that's kind of a plus because you wouldn't be bored to your death all day hanging around at home haha

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Neither. Like Mallory, I (re)joined during a Christmas break where everyone went home to their families and I couldn't, so with no one around I looked for some sort of outlet.

I've drifted off now that I'm just spending more time doing things and hanging out offline or on other sites. But there were some cool things worth mentioning along the way. The art forum has (had? I dunno who's still there anymore...) some cool and really talented folks, like the seldom seen Anastasia, whose art basically inspired me to go even crazier with putting life into Pokémon characters (along with playing with color) and still does today.

Negatively, it does seem like nothing really matters on this site, so for a period of time my level of enthusiasm dropped like a stone and I really didn't care to try to be insightful anymore. You give what you get, or at least how you feel. All the repetition didn't/doesn't help. It's especially telling when people ask questions/make comments of some such right under your own post, asking about something you just answered. Come on, people.

Granted, that time passed as well, and now I'm just disinterested, but at least indifferent. When you can't change things, just go with it, I suppose. Ugh, that sounds like a terrible moral.

I'm still holding out for that one "WOW" factor, that's probably why I keep coming back, but like Kanzler, I'm thinking I've got out of it all I'm gonna get out of it. The old adage goes "you get out of it what you put in", but in a post-and-go super anonymous (and possibly self interested?) environment, you could put in all day every day and still not move an inch forward, making it all seem meaningless, leading to personal inactivity.

I dunno, I guess it's like going to a store that's really far away, and sells (in theory) the thing you really wanted/needed, but they sold out, and having driven that far, are in the mindset of "I spent two hours driving this far out, I'm coming out of here with something, dangit".

Well on a positive note, the art's still cool to view now and then. And I never know when I'll find a really fun topic like the character interviews topic in the fic section. Short lived but probably the most fun I've had here. So it's a journey, with some enjoyment to be had along the way. It's the little things, I guess.

Last edited:
    Back