• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you read Harry Potter?

Have you read Harry Potter?

• Nope,

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Yes, normal book, like any other!

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Yes, great Book!

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • Yes, it's the BEST BOOK EVER!!

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
Years
... Well. Since I read most of the series, with the exception of 6. I really liked how detailed the books were in comparision to the movies (2nd book was the best), but halfway through book 7, I was thinking "Come ON Rowling, finish it already.". I thought the battle between Voldemort and Harry had the most cliche conclusion (Harry coming back to life? That is so Sue.) and by the time the Epilogue was read, I metaphorically died because of the predictablity and blandness... And the awful fact that Ginny married Harry in the end

You didn't read the 6th book?! Its probably my favourite of the books

LOL just remembered part of the 7th book

Mrs Weasley - 'DON'T-YOU-TOUCH-MY-DAUGHTER-YOU-*****!'

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 8, 2009
Mrs Weasley - 'DON'T-YOU-TOUCH-MY-DAUGHTER-YOU-*****!'
Spoilers ahead.

Hehehe... I read something like that while flipping the pages of D.H. I was giggling when I read that she killed Bellatrix.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
I never read the book series if there is a movie. I am that kind of a lazy person, if there will be a movie then screw a book. The only difference is the book is usually more detailed. I get my friends to tell me the difference.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
I usually don't care at all when they leave stuff out of movies that came from books. Productions cost money, folks. Either way, for Harry Potter, the only thing that really killed me was the 4th movie. It's a tournament. I loooooved this book, best one of the series and pretty much re-created the main plot which was the Voldemort vs. Harry debacle. For them to go and leave really OMEGA key parts of the book out of the movie and pretty much make every contestant besides Harry seem like a pointless sub-plot character killed me. Fleur marries Ron's brother later, for Christ sake. I guarantee there's a good chance they leave that out of the later movies, as well as possibly leaving out some of Ron's older brothers. Lame.

DeathlyHallows

I NEED A BATTLE!
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2008
I used to be really disappointed with the cuts in movies, but then one day I said:
"They really can't make the movie 100% like the book, they've gotta cut some!"
Although I'm more staisfied with the movies now, I really think they cut too much from "Order of the Phoenix", although what was left was done well, they just left out too much! It's probably Michael Goldenberg's fault, who's the new screenplay writer!
Anyway, from what I heard "Half-Blood Prince" seems to ROCK!!
Hope So!

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
Years
I don't think it's a money issue, rather, a time issue. The books are so long (and getting longer, up until Half-Blood Prince) that they just have to keep cutting more and more to keep it within a reasonable time frame. They simply can't leave in anything but the absolute central plot anymore, or we'll be watching 5-6 hour movies.

SethCullen

Catastrophe.
Years
Yeah Ive read all the books, And watched all the movies (Except half blood prince and deathly hallows parts 1&2 CURSE YOU WARNER BROTHERS)

But my favorite line ever:

NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU *****

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
My friend's gonna hate me when I tell her this, but-I don't think I'm finishing this series now. It's just the same thing: Harry is at the Dursleys, something happens, he goes to Hogwarts, something freaky happens there, he solves the problem and goes home.

Hence the reason for the thicker books.

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
Years
My friend's gonna hate me when I tell her this, but-I don't think I'm finishing this series now. It's just the same thing: Harry is at the Dursleys, something happens,he goes to Hogwarts, something freaky happens there, he solves the problem and goes home.

Hence the reason for the thicker books.

Then you should read the last book. No Hogwarts until the last few chapters.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
Years
I really don't find them repetitive. I think that there was something interesting in all of them. And The last 3 books... were amazing. I think the seriousness starts with book 4, and it goes from there.

~SilverSoul

I'm Back!
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 25, 2010
I love the Harry Potter series! I'm not sure whether it is my favorite or not but loved it anyway.

My parents bought me the last book the morning it came out and I read the whole thing in a day. I liked it but it just seemed to be missing something in it. Even though it was supposed to be different, you know, not being at Hogwarts at all, it just didn't feel like Harry Potter to me. And the ending excited me a lot, but when I think back on it, I think: "The ending could've been a lot more exciting and interesting."

I can't believe that people can put the books down and quit reading at the first four. Those are my favorites out of the whole series, especially the fourth one. It got really exciting at that point with the rising of Voldemort and all...... I just wish the last three books could've been the same.

The movies are okay but just bleah to me at the same time. The fifth one just felt like *jump* *jump* *jump* to me. I understand they have to fit a whole book in, but they skip around and screw up things way too much in the movies (Not just in the Harry Potter ones) to where they don't come close to matching the books. If you're one of the people who just watch the movies, I suggest picking up the book for a change. I think you'll find it a lot more enjoyable and interesting.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
I love how that comes from a person who apparently still watches the Pokémon anime. :(
xD Man, I never thought it it that way. But I don't think the anime is that repetitive....except for Team Rocket. >: (

Then you should read the last book. No
Hogwarts until the last few chapters.

Well...in that case perhaps the next time I go to the library I'll try and finish this series. :3:

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2011
Oh, don't get my started on Harry Potter.

I'm a big fan. It makes me so sad that the serie is now officially over; the waiting for a new book, the tension and the discussing of what would happen, and then finally getting to read it at midnight... I will never forget that, and it's sad it won't happen again. Perhaps there'll be other books like Beetle and the Bard, but it's not the same. I do hope there will appear an encyclopedia, though... that would be epic to say the least.

My favourite book is Deathly Hallows. Though I didn't really like the Hallows sub-plot (bit confusing, I prefered the Horcruxes) it was very well-written. Especially chapter 30, oh my. Best thing I've read in my life. And yes, I've read a lot. But how Rowling portrayed Harry's fear, his desire to keep living but nontheless giving in to the unbearable difficult taks to just willingly surrender... it gave me chills and tears.

My least favourite book is part one, just because it seems more childish than the other parts. CoS was definitely a lot scarier already. The books matured once the serie got older. You can't compare book one to book seven, though they're both full of magic, humour and adventure, and not to mention extremely detailed. I think that is the biggest strenght of the books: you can lose yourself in that world. Everthing, from sweets to newspapers to music to history is described and thought about. That makes it so very real and believable.

And the plot, of course. The plot. How can you not respect Rowling for that? That - just to name an example - Sirius Black is already mentioned once in the first chapter of the series, ulitmately becoming one of the most important characters? That already in book two something crucial to the plot appeared? (The diary). All this makes that you can read the books over and over without getting bored: you see things in a different light, you discover new things... and of course the always present humour (Ron, I love you for it) and descriptions. I don't know how many times I've read them, but it's certainly more than six times. And I owe the Harry Potter books in four different languages, having British and American verions... yes, I kinda like buying new ones. Though I have to stop because it costs a lot of money. Cough.

I also have to stop writing now because otherwise it will become a post TOO long! ;D (I'm incurable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back