• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Heart and Soul... A bit lame?

Do you like the names?

• Yep

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • They are alright

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • I can think of better >.>

Votes: 21 14.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    So we all know by now what the new names are.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver, but do you think they are a bit lame?

I don't like the names really. I can see where they are going with it, but I don't like it :(

Personally, something like Sun Gold and Moon Silver seems better in my opinion.

So, what do you think of the names?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I think the new names are perfectly fine in my opinion. Nothing seems to be bothering me about it.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I was waiting for a thread like this to pop up. I was actually discussing the matter with Erica (Lightning) on Twitter last night, so I'll just rephrase what I said to her.

Firstly, I find it pathetically funny for some people to have wished and wished for remakes of Gold and Silver for as long as they can remember, and when they're finally granted that wish, they decide the name is stupid. The amount of ingratitude is ridiculous. What's also pretty silly is that no one's thinking about the names. Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. As in, we can be faithfully assured that we're going to be playing the games we loved a decade ago, not some stupid franchise spin-off. At least, that's the way I interpret it. Each to his/her own, though.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Nothing bothers me about the name as well, suer they could have done better, but these two new names are relatively fine. Actually it surprised me that they used these names rather than the ones they copywrited "DuskGold and DawnSilver."

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The names kinda have a stupid meaning,but they are fine with me as they kinda fit.
    I can live with that.

Years
    I like the names HeartGold and SoulSilver a lot better than all the other names out there. FireRed sounds like something Borat would say. It's better than DuskGold and DawnSilver or whatever they're called. Maybe the names are a hint for possible Gen 5 titles? IDK. Just think about it. Soul seems like it has to do with the souls of the legendary beasts that were resurrected. And heart is the love the Pokemon have... (or something...I need to play my Silver again for a reminder.)

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Nah man I love the names. Ho-oh is uh the heart of something and Lugia is the embodiment of the sea. So yeah it makes sense while things about day night and such would.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    The names were given for a reason, which some people are forgetting as Rekhyt stated above. And to agree even more onto his point, why should the name even matter after so many people have been simply just waiting for the remake? ... Be satified that you simply got your wishes and the nostalgia for it again. xD

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Ah found it. Post made by Wulava.
    HEART GOLD:
    Legends claim that Ho-oh flies the world's skies continuously on its magnificent seven-colored wings. These feathers are said to bring happiness to the bearers. Moreover, Ho-oh only reveal itself before trainers that have a pure HEART by shining its bright rainbow-colored wings. It is said that those who see Ho-oh are promised an eternal happiness.

SOUL SILVER:
    It is said that Lugia quietly spends its time deep at the bottom of the sea because its powers are too strong. It is also said to be the guardian of the seas. The word SOUL also pertains to "being the embodiment of something". Lugia acts as the embodiment of the sea.

Moreover, "Heart" and "Soul" are often used together in sentences as an idiomatic expression.
    https://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showpost.php?p=830068&postcount=1850

So yeah the names make sense.

Years
    Firstly, I find it pathetically funny for some people to have wished and wished for remakes of Gold and Silver for as long as they can remember, and when they're finally granted that wish, they decide the name is stupid. The amount of ingratitude is ridiculous.

Can I just point out, that I am not one of those people, I would rather not be categorized as easily as that...

I only said that I didn't like them IMO!

I know there is meaning behind them, but I still don't like the names.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Personally, something like Sun Gold and Moon Silver seems better in my opinion.

In my opinion, SoulSilver actually rolls off of the tongue a bit easier than MoonSilver does. To each his/her own.

The names are just fine as-is. As Rekhyt already pointed out, we should be satisfied right now with the fact that these remakes are even being released, not focusing on how the names could be improved.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    I didn't like the names very much either; I thought they were corny.

However, the names are the least of my concerns, as this was my favorite generation. Given the meaning behind them, plus the insignificance, it's a meh kinda situation.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Can I just point out, that I am not one of those people, I would rather not be categorized as easily as that...

I only said that I didn't like them IMO!

I know there is meaning behind them, but I still don't like the names.

I wasn't really referring to you, to be honest.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    when it comes to the name, it sounds average but the meaning and how it sticks could not be better

i mean ho-oh represents heart=unity

and lugia represents soul=solidary

so heart gold for ho-oh and soul silver for lugia is a perfect name for a remake

even though I like the sound of sun gold and moon silver better even though its meaning isnt as deep as the original

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I'd rather have the name make sense and have a meaning to the game rather than it be the best video game name in the world.

Back