• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG and SS a let down?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    For you guys saying Mt Silver's Pokemon only went to lvl 45 are wrong go on the outside and they'll go into the low 50's. Though Cerulean cave should have been higher in level.

Years
    I love HG and SS, they definitely were not a let down for me. Platinum was still good, but I think HG and SS were better.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    HG and SS was far from being considered a let down for me. With the enhanced graphics since the Second Generation and the added development to the game, it pretty much defines a well remake of Gold, Silver, and Crystal all together. Is it better than Platinum? No, but Platinum wasn't bad either.

Noltron200

Im not a robot.
    Years
    I like HGSS but one thing... Thats how they did such a non-challenging part after the elite 4. Although it is nice to have more, I would like more quality to be put into the addition

♥Sweetheart™

爱是永远
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2010
    I know that the point of partner games like HG/SS is that you have to trade them over to get all the pokèmon... but I like it when you can have both butterfree and beedrill in the same game.
    This is why Yellow is my favourite game. If they make a yellow remake, it would be amazing.

Otherwise, SS was not a let down. I loved talking to my lead pokèmon. (:

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I was impressed by the whole Partner Pokemon idea at first but after awhile it became annoying pretty fast, also the whole extremely low leveled pokemon. I hated that the fact that Lances main Dragonite was only lv.50,and how Kanto was almost pointless no real story what so ever.I acctually found myself playing my platinum more after I got Soul Silver due to I had more stuff to do on it after beating Red on SS.I did enjoy being able to trade over the legendary beasts,Lugia and Ho-oh over to my Plat. So the main Idea of all this post is SS was sort of a let down all that hype and then it fell flat for me.

Zet

Years
    A let down? I think not! I was happy that when HG/SS was announced that I would be able to relive one of my favorite childhood games but with better graphics and new features! So I really can't say this is a let down, and it should be great for the newer generation that never got the chance to play such a great game in the past.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Yes, it was definitely a let down. I remember when I was playing through Platinum, it had this strange epic feel to it. I was disappointed that HeartGold lacked that. And the levels are way too low in HeartGold, because they were too lazy to fix the problem where you could battle the 5th, 6th, and 7th Gym Leader in almost any order you want. And the Johto dex is extremely messy and horribly laid out, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY KANTO POKEMON. And the level progression is terrible. First of all, Whitney is only 2 levels higher than Bugsy, Chuck, Jasmine, and Pryce all have basically the same levels, meaning no level progression at all, ROUTE 43 HAS POKEMON AT LV15, ARE YOU SERIOUS, in the E4 rematch teams, Lance's Pokemon are +12 levels higher than Karen's, and Koga, Bruno and Karen have no level progression at all (they all top out at Lv64, while Lance jumps to a whopping Lv75)... THERE'S NO VS. SEEKER, AND THE PHONE REMATCH SYSTEM IS HORRIBLE

Overall, I think HG/SS is a mess. Platinum is not.

First off, I think you need to be realize a couple of things

First, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY KANTO POKEMON? Becuase the original Johto Dex was 2/3rds KANTO POKEMON. And many are evolutions of KANTO pokemon. Johto was designed on a generation that was based on RBY and acting partly as an homage to them.

Secondly, the open-ended part after Morty's gym, that was so that everyone has a different experience than their buddy. Yes, most people go to the left to Olivine and Cianwood, but there are a few who go to mahogany. And that's why the levels are low over there: To encourage players to explore new paths in the game.

About the Levels in general: yeah, their low. Kanto's are low because it preserves continuity. Those levels are identical to RBY,FRLG. Those level are how its always been and thats how they;ll always be on those routes. In Johto? Yeah, I think Route 27/26 should have had higher levels for pre-elite 4 training, but it made it harder. Plus if the levels were higher, once you reached Red, he'd seem easy. The levels are low so that you are grossly underleveled when you face him. It supposed to be him overwhelming you. If your level 80 like him, hes way to easy.

Yes, the VS. Seeker would have been nice, but again it adds to the "You're underleveled when you face Red" deal. It's supposed to make you think about training more. The VS. Seeker really spoiled this fandom on leveling. I've been doing this since RBY, and I can remember not having one to level up and it was so much harder. No offense, but I applaud Game Freak on this one, because game difficulty has gone down and lazy wins have gone up.

Years
    Noooo WAY!!!

i luv me soul silver it's so much fun and the johto region is my fave region!!
    plus the NOSTALGIA!!!! =D

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
    Soul Silver is so much better than any previous Pokemon game. Platinum was good, and same thing with Emerald and so on. But come on, Soul Silver, to me, it relived my childhood. It brought back everything, plus more, that GSC had within.

Totaldile

appeared! Totaldile used RAWR!
    Years
    I found platinum more entertaining. I'd never played GSC due to my young age and lack of people selling either of the three games, and I really looked forward to it. It is quite fun, I liked using those pokemon specifically, but the storyline just bored me. It was just R/B/Y in a new region. In Hoenn/Sinnoh there is a point other than beating all gyms. In R/S/E you save the world from enviromental destruction, in D/P/P you had to save the world from being destroyed by legendary beings. HG/SS, the Poke-athlon is very fun, but tedious if you're tryin to save for, I don't know, something expensive mid-game. I've played D/P/P over and over agai nand i still enjoy the story. I've played HG/SS twice, and haven't beaten Red on either. I'm a bit strange, I'd rather catch all 493 than trai nthem to level 100.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    People who never played GSC have no right to comment here. NONE

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    I only have Diamond sop i dont know what you guys are talking about with platinum but i can say, I hadalot more fun with HG/SS than i with Diamond.
    in HG/SS theres more to do, however it does get kinda boring.
    in Diamond theres better to do but less of it, so it in its own way gets boring....

If you guys ask me, Gen 3 were the best games out of all
    Ruby was the only Game that was hard for me and i had a hard time beating it
    (damn feebas).

RSE> all

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    The only thing that annoyed me was the lack of reliable training spots, and how hard it was to get items, prizes from game corner etc.

I preferred Platinum's slot machines with loose change in, buying coins by the 1000, vs. seeker etc. to Voltorb Flip, Pokethlon (At least contests are do-able for people who aren't that good with a stylus).

However, Lance, Silver and the Kanto Gym Leaders (particularly Blue/Green) are my favourites, and I liked how Pokegear had a colour screen, and you could change the theme. I also liked the use of the touch screen generally. Especially the running shoes.

Nostalgic

Breeder/Collector
    Years
    To me it was far from a disappointment since I liked GSC way more than I liked DP, to me its the greatest remakes I have ever played. Plus Silver was actually the first game i actually owned, i had played Gen I but that is because i borrowed, finished, and returned them so in a way its like Im reliving the past.

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    In my opinion HG and SS were faaar from a disappointment. They were some of the funnest games I've played, apart from GSC.

Back