• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG/SS Game Corner Changed - for EVERYWHERE outside Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    After hearing this, I'm glad I preordered both HeartGold and SoulSilver from Japan.

I originally got them because I was too impatient to wait for the English version(As I did with Platinum), but now I'm 100% satisfied that I did what I did after hearing this BS.

Junes

showers of sunlight's divine
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    Shame. I can remember my sister and I playing slots, seeing who could get the most coins in a certain time. The voltorb game doesn't seem too bad, but I'll miss the slots.

Really didn't see this one coming, but I guess we'll have to just eat it up regardless.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Well , great for Europe , bad for the US .

Platinum really sucked in there , and I was SURE something like this would happen . Well , at least we got a game !... :') ... I pretty can't wait to see how it is ...

Scythe_Ironclaw

For Iron Legion!
    Years
  • This event may already be pre-programed into the ROM...the "Card Flip" sound files can be found in Heart Gold and Soul Silver's music track list.
    There is also this one non-working slot machine in Celadon City that says:

DSを おいて だいを とっている

スロットで あろぶか
    DSで あろぶか
    どちらかに すればいいのに!

Which I Google Translated:

DS has taken to keep the Dai

Dearu Subrdinate slot
    DS subordinate Dearo
    Wish I would either!

Is there some feature with inserting Fire Red and Leaf Green in the 2nd DS slot and then examining this machine? What's up with it!?

I also hope this means that the Blue machines will be Slot Machines and the Red Ones Voltorb Flip AKA Card Flip machines.

If not I will freakin scrip hack the ROM and have the BLUE ones set to the slots and the RED ones set to card flip.

Years
  • I was going to import this anyways, because of the £35 RRP in the UK (seriously, the US version is still £10 cheaper, including shipping costs!). The game corner is neither here nor there, but it's nice to see that Nintendo have came up with a better way to change things to comply with international law than outright censorship.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    like this will make a difference theres like 10 years who go up pubs in england with there mum and dad and win from the fruit machines like £10

NatureKeeper

I hate Gambling, seriously. Minesweeper is a good-go, a game that depends on smartness, not some slot machines that wastes over 10,000 Pokéyen and we get almost nothing. I'd rather trade the Pokémon obtained or so.

The Game Corner is just an add-on to the game to increase the fun. I actually like the European games for the plain reason of the Game Corner out of the code. I almost never visit the Corner, thus I'll have fun Minesweeping instead.

...If it was me I'd be focusing on Lyra's Overworld in a debate, not over a silly matter.

and if people critically need it, We'll try to hack the ROM. Happy?

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    I don't care to be honest, I never used the slots because I always lost my money on them,and when I wanted to buy Pokemon with the coins I just bought the coins. and this new game seems fun.

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
    Years
  • NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
    I guess it isn't a huge deal, really, but it just saddens me because it deviates from the orginal GSC games. TT_TT

I usually bought coins to get stuff anyway. xD

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
  • I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I think it's a good thing it's been removed.

Last year in my old college course me and 2 others created a documentary about gambling addiction during which we discovered it's influences are everywhere. Television adverts, programs and even video games.

Most children can be easily influenced, bear in mind the age of children that play Pokémon. They could play the slots in game and eventually start on real slots. Gambling addictions can sprout up really quickly.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I think it's a good thing it's been removed.

Last year in my old college course me and 2 others created a documentary about gambling addiction during which we discovered it's influences are everywhere. Television adverts, programs and even video games.

Most children can be easily influenced, bear in mind the age of children that play Pokémon. They could play the slots in game and eventually start on real slots. Gambling addictions can sprout up really quickly.

That's your opinion, I played the slots for hours on end when I was seven years old, and I don't have a gambling problem.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • I'm okay with this change. Ideally, to please everyone, I would've had them add Voltorb Flip alongside the Slots, but, they didn't. :/

Personally, I'm a Minesweeper addict, so if it's anything like Minesweeper (which multiple sources say it is), I'm down for it. I never found the Slots (or any purely luck-based games) very fun anyway.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    The offical magazine says its only in the EU verison, is that true?

Years
  • The offical magazine says its only in the EU verison, is that true?
    It appears to be a case of them not doing the proper research, but I wouldn't know, wait for a review of the US version (or the actual release of the US version) for confirmation.

Natester

Mostly a lurker
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Iowa
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I hate that they took away the ability to buy coins although the Voltorb Flip game looks like fun. There is one problem, I suck at minesweeper. D:

Anyways, getting enough coins to get those prizes is going to be TEDIOUS! D: D:

OR you could just get them from the Veilstone Game Corner in D/P (which is what i'm planning on doing).

Years
  • It's a shame that we can't just purchase the coins anymore. At least they kept the music for the interior of the Game Corner. I thought the Voltorb flip would be on the old machines instead of them making a new machine altogether. Weren't the prizes Porygon, Abra, and Dratini in the originals? I'll wait until I get to Dragon's Den to obtain Dratini with Extremespeed. I already have Porygon-Z at level 100, so I can breed it. Wasn't Chikorita on the slots in Goldenrod in the Japanese HGSS? I don't mind that Smeargle is missing in Celadon, but I wish I could have seen Chikorita showcased in Goldenrod. I'll give Minesweeper a chance, since I never played the slots in the originals. (Not a risk-taker.)

Last edited:

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Aww no slot machines. They were fun, it loses thecharm of the Game corner.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back