• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
Years
  • Two questions ^_^.

One, How do I get the move Headbutt? Is there a TM for it? Or do I have to get a Poke that learns it?

Second: Wheres the best place to train, after you have gathered all of the Kanto badges but have yet to defeat Red? Thanks!

he's in the forest after the insect badge(haven't actually been there in months)

uchiha sasuke

2337-8711-7616
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2020
    Hello, I have a general question not specific for Heart Gold/ Soul silver.

I've recently bought it and it's unfortunate that I've missed the events. Is there any way in which I can get the event pokemon?

Other than that, I am still enjoying the trip around Johto. Old memories never disappear after all!

Thanks in advance and please do not delete it.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Hello, I have a general question not specific for Heart Gold/ Soul silver.

I've recently bought it and it's unfortunate that I've missed the events. Is there any way in which I can get the event pokemon?

Other than that, I am still enjoying the trip around Johto. Old memories never disappear after all!

Thanks in advance and please do not delete it.

Check the Wifi Center area of the forums, more specifically the Trade Corner.
    I'm sure there are generous people who got more than 1 of certain event pokemon.

Mudkipzrock

Mudkip Lover
    Years
  • Hi Everyone, I know that the answer is there in the Already known Info thread but I want it more clear.
    How to migrate Pokemon from RSE to HG SS?
    I removed the HM Moves and Placed them in my PC, then what?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hi Everyone, I know that the answer is there in the Already known Info thread but I want it more clear.
    How to migrate Pokemon from RSE to HG SS?
    I removed the HM Moves and Placed them in my PC, then what?
    Go to your HG/SS game and select "Migrate from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen." It will then take you to a screen showing your R/S/E/FR/LG PC boxes after a couple confirmations (say yes to all of them). Choose the Pokemon you want to transfer and say "Yes" when the game asks you if those are the right Pokemon. HG/SS will then transfer the Pokemon from Gen III over to IV. After that, go to Pal Park in Fuchsia City and play the catching game.

uchiha sasuke

2337-8711-7616
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2020
    Check the Wifi Center area of the forums, more specifically the Trade Corner.
    I'm sure there are generous people who got more than 1 of certain event pokemon.

Thank you!
    Once I get ready for them I will kindly ask for the events so that I will at least do the in game events.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • One: There's a peculiar man in Ilex Forest that likes giving out Pokémon the move Headbutt. He should be some mid-age man after some long-ish path... I don't really remember where he is exactly, but I'm thinking he should be here in this area:

Spoiler:

Second: Get the gym leaders' phone numbers. They're seriously one of the best training methods to reach 100, since once you're around the 70s-80s they get ridiculously easy they're just free fodder for experience. The best Gym Leaders are the ones that do it in the afternoon, since that's much from 10-11am to around 5-6pm. Nighttime Gym Leaders are also great too if you're nocturnal.

The thing to exploit is this: Find a gym leader who is available at the current time you're playing. Beat them in the Fighting Dojo, then immediately exit. Call them again. They'll be back instantaneously. Repeat until you need to heal in the Pokémon Center (Probably because your PP ran out or something), then return to the Dojo again to fight more. Do this until Level 100. :)

If you have a Lucky Egg, this will be even easier.

Here's where you can find each Gym Leader's phone number, and what day of the week they'll be available.
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9gear#Gym_Leader_phone_listing

haha thanks! I had no clue you could fight the gym leaders again..I was wondering though ^_^. So yeah thanks :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    Getting thrashed by bosses again -_-;;

This time it's Lance... his dragons are one-shotting all of mine, even though mine are about 3-5 levels higher.

Is there any specific way to beat him? Or should I just grind to higher levels and hope a friend can give me some higher-levelled pokemon? I'm too used to facerolling everything with a single attack <.<

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • Getting thrashed by bosses again -_-;;

This time it's Lance... his dragons are one-shotting all of mine, even though mine are about 3-5 levels higher.

Is there any specific way to beat him? Or should I just grind to higher levels and hope a friend can give me some higher-levelled pokemon? I'm too used to facerolling everything with a single attack <.<

Lance's Dragonite army is surely a pain. Well, I didn't have a problem with Lance, but rather his lowly apprentice Claire. But they're very similar in that they have Dragon Pokémon, and if one doesn't have a Pokémon that can easily wipe the floor with them, then they'll be quite a nuisance.

Take care of Lance's Dragonites with an Ice-type move, such as Ice Beam. Then take care of the rest of his team using an Electric-move, such as Thunderbolt. A Starmie around the Level 45-50 area would be ideal, but since Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are TM's only obtained from the Game Corner, I think it'll take too much Voltorb Flipping to get something like that... XD

Lapras learns Ice Beam by level up, so if you got one by visiting Union Cave on a Friday, then perhaps you should consider training that fellow up.

In summary though, the best way to defeat Lance is through Electric and Ice-type moves. Go forth, and good luck.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years

*shrugs* I simply spammed Extrasensory/Psychic using my Lugia XD. His two Lv. 49s are just annoying...Stupid paralysis >:O. The Lv. 50 though is quite a pain, with its Outrage..Try using a move that makes them unable to use their last move..Um..Torment was it? *shrugs*. My method was that I would use Extrasensory/Psychic on them, and when my Lugias HP went below half, Hyper Potion up, etc etc. Psychic type moves seemed to work for me pretty well, so you may want to try that if you dont have Lapras handy or a Poke that knows Ice Beam like Starrodkirby86 said XD.

Years

Can you tell me what is in your starting 6 in your party please? Also thier levels and moves.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    My team...

Level 60 Dragonite (Waterfall, Safeguard, Wing Attack, Dragon Rush)
    Level 51 Lugia (Extrasensory, Fly, Hydro Pump, Aeroblast)
    Level 54 Machoke (Vital Throw, Revenge, Focus Energy, Karate Chop)
    Level 53 Typhlosion (Flame Wheel, Swift, Strength, Flamethrower)
    Level 55 Gyrados (Bite, Ice Fang, Surf, Twister)
    Level 20 Krabby HM slave (Surf, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Cut)

I have an Ampharos but it's only around level 30-something, and its speed is abysmal. Someone told me that I should just grind to level 60 or 70 and stomp on him, would that work?

Last edited:

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • My team...

Level 60 Dragonite (Waterfall, Safeguard, Wing Attack, Dragon Rush)
    Level 51 Lugia (Extrasensory, Fly, Hydro Pump, Aeroblast)
    Level 54 Machoke (Vital Throw, Revenge, Focus Energy, Karate Chop)
    Level 53 Typhlosion (Flame Wheel, Swift, Strength, Flamethrower)
    Level 55 Gyrados (Bite, Ice Fang, Surf, Twister)
    Level 20 Krabby HM slave (Surf, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Cut)

I have an Ampharos but it's only around level 30-something, and its speed is abysmal. Someone told me that I should just grind to level 60 or 70 and stomp on him, would that work?

Hmm..Dragon types are weak to Dragon type moves right? So as long as your Dragonite is faster than his is and knows a strong Dragon Type move, then you should flatten his Dragonites which are only 49 and 50, 10 levels below yours. Your Lugia can take care of his Charizard with ease, just use Hydro Pump. Also, if your Dragonite doesnt work out against his, use your Gyarados' Ice Fang, and use your Dragonite to take out his other Pokes..

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    Every Raikou I've tried to catch has run away :(

I think I can buy a Thunder TM from the Goldenrod Department Store, but it has a huge chance to miss which is the main reason I haven't bought it. Would buying it for my Dragonite or Gyrados be useful?

Years
  • Use quickballs on Raikou's, very successfull, I caught Entei with a quickball and caught it straight away, Dragonite would be a good choice, get rid of the move Wing Attack as its to basic.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Give Dragonite Dragon Claw. I'm guessing that Dragon Rush misses then you get killed? Dragon Claw won't miss. Also, give Dragonite Surf and Gyarados Waterfall - Dragonite has much higher special attack than Gyarados, and Gyarados' attack is brilliant - if you survive a hit, Aerodactyl and Charizard are both goners to a STAB Waterfall.

Years
  • seed horizon. I'll give you a sample of my of dragonite's power taste.

Dragon dance
    Dragon rush
    Earthquake
    ice punch or fire punch. I might delete ice punch for fire punch on my dragonite.

My suggestion is use dragon dance to power up Attack and Speed. Then use Dragon rush to make them flinch and after they flinch attack again and he's dead. Whatever you do don't use outrage, because you can kill yourself if you're not careful. You also need your amphrose.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    My brother found the Dragon Claw TM and Dragonite now has it, though I'm too apprehensive to go in and get my clock cleaned by dragons again ><;

How much would the Ampharos help? From what my brother said, the Gyrados went down quite easy when he was doing a suicide run at Lance in order to get out of the Elite 4, though it might have been luck or something.

EDIT: I just beat Lance. Ampharos one-shotted his Gyrados and got some good paralyzes off on his dragonites before going down, and my Gyrados mopped up the rest. Thanks for the advice and help everyone!! =D

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ampharos helps dearly as it has powerful electric attacks against Gyrados Aerodactyl and Charizard. It has high Special Attack.

Back