• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HGSS Official English Names Thread

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
  • Rocket Executive Proton on the other hand... I see where it's coming from. I think it's cool that their names have something to do with rockets. It's nice that their names have that kind of meaning to them. I love names with some sort of a reference/meaning that fits. But "Proton?" Maybe it's just my inner Chemistry nerd calling out to me, but the name just doesn't fit. It's like calling your son "Neutron." Hey, Neutron! Come on in, it's time for dinner! Bring your sister Valence in as well!

You do know there's a rocket called Proton, well actually it's called Proton HK something something, but it starts with proton and has a bunch of letters and numbers after it. Stop using your inner Chemistry nerd and use your inner Astronomy nerd.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Although I would have really liked it better if they simply kept with the names Apollo, Athena, and such, and just switched Lance's name, I'm fine with the Rocket Names. I'm good with Lyra as well, as they at least kept what the meaning of Kotone is.

Only problem I find is well...Ethan. Yeeeeah... I don't really find that name to be too great. XD; Maybe it'll grow on me, but I think I'm juuust going to name him 'Gold' /o/;

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Aprjuice is a portmanteau, not a contraction. Dowsing MCHN is somewhat disappointing. I don't know why everyone loves the Japanese names so much just because they're the Japanese ones. As long as they don't change them to something irritating, there isn't really a problem with them changing them.

Personally, I don't much think Ethan fits Gold. But at least we don't have to call him an unofficial name after a colour anymore.

Although, Serebii hasn't given any sources for this...

It's not that I love the Japanese names, it's just that some of the names are ridiculously bad. Would anyone in their right mind call the juice you got from shaking an Apricot, Aprijuice? And the Dowsing MCHN will always be the Itemfinder, in my mind at least. :\

Years
  • I don't mind the other names, but Ethan just doesn't fit with Gold. It's going to take some getting use to xD

LightEspeon ♥!

Espeon is awesome!
    Years
  • Pfft , I still think Melody and Jimmy is a better name?
    ETHAN sounds like a gay name personally in my opinon! xD

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I believe serebii in this case wants to keep his source secret or the such, probably. He said there was a vague possibility something might change but it is very unlikely on the site, and I suppose he'd have good reason to go ahead and put info on his site in the first place - he doesn't put rumours up usually and when he does it's only ones with strong backing and he says it's a rumour as well.

Haha!

Serebii is a horrible place for information, to not cite information in this day and age is beyond ridiculous, and can't be excused. And he writes news in such a vague way that when things are clarified he can claim that he was 'right'...

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • Ethan; It's a good name, and I like it.

Lyra; Kotone meant "Sounds of a harp", and a Lyre is a relatively close instrument to the harp. Even though I was expecting a name like Harper, I still like Lyra because at least they surprised us. It's still a good name overall.

Archer and Arianna; Suck. Suck BAAAAD. Athena and Apollo were already good names because they actually made more sense. In Greek Myth, Athena was the goddess of hunting, craft, and THE MOON. Apollo was god of medicine, music, and THE SUN. They fit because they were not just names of rockets, but because they were DOUBLE ENTENDRE.

Petrel; Lambda was good, but Petrel is better for the English-speaking audience.

Proton; I understand why he had to be renamed, but it's a pretty good name overall.

Bwazzam

*explosion noise*
    Years
  • Even though I'm not Japanese, I think Hibiki is a girl-ish name. ._.

I prefer the manly "Ethan" over "Hibiki-Chan!!"

Lyra is a pretty name. Melody sounds, well, sorry, I don't like it as much as Lyra.
    Proton...sounds cool, in a way. Kind of weird at first, but I'm used to it.
    Petrel, for the creepy purple guy? I think it matches.
    Arianna is a pretty name as well.
    Archer is a cool name.

They're based off of rockets, and they're part of Team Rocket. I don't know, I mean, it kind of, sort of, matches. o3o
    So, anyway. Calm down people. They're just names. >__>;

Last edited:

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
  • I don't like the names as much as the next guy, but I will prob. get used to them eventually. I'm just glad I'll be playing as Gold so I won't have to see Ethan all the time. I'm going to pronounce Proton as "proh-tun". And if they change Red and Blue's names I'll punch a baby......

...not really...

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Lyra is okay, but I would have liked Melody a lot better. It even feels like Melody would perfectly suit her.
    Ethan is nice. Hibiki sounds Japanese, and is good and all, but I have no complains about the name Ethan.

Proton is good, and now it helps not creating a conflict between the names of the Champion Lance and Proton.
    I think Petrel sounds really good, and suits him a lot. Lambda wasn't what suited him much, and wasn't that good.
    Athena was okay, and Arianna is good too. No problem with either.
    Archer is a nice name, and sounds more like how it should be. Apollo wasn't that realistically suiting.

Magnus is a nice name, though his name didn't matter much for his low number of appearances and low contribution to the game. It's okay.

I don't know what problem they could have writing the whole of "Dowsing Machine". That would have been okay.
    GB Player made more sense than the GB Sounds. GB Player would be what i would like to choose.
    Jade Orb kind of disturbs me, even though it's a nice name. That's because it doesn't pair up nicely with the past names "Red Orb" and "Blue Orb", and so I would have liked "Green Orb" to remain.

The rest of the names are almost the same, with only using a different word, and they are good.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I like Petrel a lot more than I liked Lambda... lmao it took too much effort to say it. It's tthe only name change that matters to me.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • I think I personally would've preferred they kept the Japanese Rocket exec names (except for Lance for obvious reasons) though I suppose I'll get used to the new ones. The other names are fine to me though I also am scratching my head as to why GB Player is now GB Sounds...

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • GBプレイヤー can be translated as GB (Record) Player. GB Player could create ambiguity as to what it does in English. GB Sounds is a correct translation, just not a literal one.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
    Years
  • So GB sounds allows you to listen to the sounds of the originals? Do I need the games or is the music already insde the HG/SS?

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Ethan is a cute name :3, Gold doesn't really look like an Ethan but its still a good name
    I'm not disappointed there
    I still think Kotone looks more like a Harper. but Lyra is a very cute name for her. <3

The Rocket admin names aren't bad either. would have prefered if they kept the old ones and just changed Lance. but its alright

Back