• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Home is where the Challenges are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
  • Well, we're less than 15 minutes from the unveiling of my very first Challenges event. Hopefully the admins will be around to open THE ENTIRE SUB FORUM I SET UP FOR THE BIGGEST EVENT CHALLENGES HAS EVER SEEN! If not, expect it to be open sometime over the next, oh, six hours I would guess.

Apparently I underestimated when someone would take care of it. Not exactly the big launch I was hoping for...

Last edited:

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • Hey guys, just wanted to say I'm not very active on Challenges anymore at the moment, this is mainly because I got a 3DS in March and I don't need my emulators anymore. I am planning to get my second Kalos installment, though, and I'll finish at least two Ultimate Solos on that. And who knows, maybe I'll be coming back sometime and start more of those.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Uhm..guys? What is the tournament thingy under our post count? I'm trying to figure what it is around the forum but I haven't found anything ._.

Years
  • Uhm..guys? What is the tournament thingy under our post count? I'm trying to figure what it is around the forum but I haven't found anything ._.

While not challenge related, it's probably having to do with competitive tournaments, maybe Showdown related stuff but i'm not so sure.

Also, is anyone besides me disappointed at the lack of attention that the Carnival of Horrors has received as a whole throughout the month? )= I mean Necrum really hyped that thing up and the fact that as a whole it got less attention than the Easter challenge and even the GT11 challenge feels like a big letdown. Granted, it is fall, and say Stadium Arcadium was in the summer, but still I felt like this would have gotten a lot more publicity than it did.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Also, is anyone besides me disappointed at the lack of attention that the Carnival of Horrors has received as a whole throughout the month? )= I mean Necrum really hyped that thing up and the fact that as a whole it got less attention than the Easter challenge and even the GT11 challenge feels like a big letdown. Granted, it is fall, and say Stadium Arcadium was in the summer, but still I felt like this would have gotten a lot more publicity than it did.

I only knew about it like halfway throughout October due to my lack of activity on the forum, so I can't really participate in all of them and be finished by the due date :S

But, yes. I did notice how low of participants they had, maybe because of all the different challenges that were offered did not appeal to them or either they dont have time because of school and such? I don't know, I'm letting out some reasons that can be the cause of it xD

I wonder if we're gonna have a Christmas event? Maybe Necrum don't wanna dish out too much events in such small time, but a Christmas event, I'm pretty such everyone would love the idea.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    the problem with the holoween thing is this:

- all the events require pokemon to be caught or bred after oct. 1
    - all the events have very specific requirements for the pokemon
    - in general, they are restrictive
    - all the events require the E4 (level 60-70s) or battle mansion/frontier (level 50s), and many pokemon are bred due to not many pokemon catchable, meaning the pokemon need to be raised from level 1 to 50-60 if bred, which takes a long time (2 post-game rivals, and 4 E4 runs, assuming they gain EXP only from the EXP share, and my guys made it to 46). and as for the 4 E4 runs, I demolished the E4 with a kyurem and it still took an hour or two, so all in all it took a few hours with breeding my guys and catching the one I didn't have, and that's because I already had the pokemon I wanted (snorlax and gardevoir bred, dodrio caught). sometimes you even need to EV train them, which only takes longer (EV train for the really hard frontier ones only, though).

In short, you have to a) find the pokemon you want, which are not always common (for example, nasty plot and hex/shadow ball/etc. have a small learnset, literally the only pokemon I can think of that's not smeargle is porygon-z), b) breed or catch them (pokemon you can catch easily at a high level are limited), and c)raise a pokemon from the egg (or a low level) to a decent level and then d) take on the E4/Battle place (they aren't cakewalks) in the time space of one month, less if you weren't there close to launch, is simply asking too much. and do it 7 times for 7 challenges? HECK NO, especially since real life stuff (*cough*school*cough*) is very time consuming.

Rewy

untitled follower
    Years
  • I'm really sad that I can't participate on the Demo Challenge.

I live in Finland and the only way the Demo was distributed was around 10 000 or something sign up's on the actual Nintendo Club page. (I'd even wager it was split with all Scandinavian countries even. So 4 countries...) And well, they went within minutes.

Right now I'm swearing at Nintendo in general for flipping around even with the Gengar event.
    Recap under cut from my tumblr:
    Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • for example, nasty plot and hex/shadow ball/etc. have a small learnset, literally the only pokemon I can think of that's not smeargle is porygon-z
    Shadow Ball being a TM means that pretty much any Pokemon capable of learning Nasty Plot can probably learn Shadow Ball.

My structure for the individual challenges was about the same as previous events, there's just a whole lot of them. I plan on doing a whole feedback thing though so can we wait a bit before voicing concerns?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Shadow Ball being a TM means that pretty much any Pokemon capable of learning Nasty Plot can probably learn Shadow Ball.

My structure for the individual challenges was about the same as previous events, there's just a whole lot of them. I plan on doing a whole feedback thing though so can we wait a bit before voicing concerns?

the only problem: nasty plot is a relatively uncommon move.

also... for the count glizcor:
    -bat
    Golbat (which is common, though), Swoobat, and Gliscor (on a streatch) are all I can think of.
    -undead pokemon
    Uhh... Cofagarus/Dusknoir? both are hard to get.
    -snake pokemon
    Seviper immediately comes to mind, same with Arbok, but... well, Seviper can be caught at least.
    -dragon egg group
    easy, gyarados
    -based on a canine
    ...luxray? arcanine? houndoom/mighteyana? not sure about acessability (though some are easy)
    -human created
    porygon line (REALLY hard to get z), Golurk (gen 5 only I think), Nosepass (I don't even know), and mewtwo (ONE per game, must restart otherwise) are all I can think of

well, I have to go, so I'll finish this later.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • the only problem: nasty plot is a relatively uncommon move.

also... for the count glizcor:
    -bat
    Golbat (which is common, though), Swoobat, and Gliscor (on a streatch) are all I can think of.
    -undead pokemon
    Uhh... Cofagarus/Dusknoir? both are hard to get.
    -snake pokemon
    Seviper immediately comes to mind, same with Arbok, but... well, Seviper can be caught at least.
    -dragon egg group
    easy, gyarados
    -based on a canine
    ...luxray? arcanine? houndoom/mighteyana? not sure about acessability
    -human created
    porygon line (REALLY hard to get z), Golurk (gen 5 only I think), Nosepass (I don't even know), and mewtwo (ONE per game, must restart otherwise).

well, I have to go, so I'll finish this later.
    I was trying to base that one a lot on Castlevania, actually per the suggestion of Sydian. Bat also has Noivern, the mummy was supposed to be sort of up to interpretation as long as it could be justified, Wolf Man also has Stoutland and Granbull, human created has SO MANY. Garbodor, Porygon, Golurk, Mewtwo, Muk technically fits since sludge is a human creation, Magnezone, Unown could be argued as a human creation, I could probably go on. That challenge was much more about how you justified your picks rather than adhering to anything super specific.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nasty_Plot Most Pokemon on that list can learn Shadow Ball so I don't see the problem. Can we please save criticisms until it's over.

Years
  • Garbodor and Magnezone? The latter I would understand being human creation, but the trash heap? This certainly makes deciding on a team for that easier (and more interesting, I should add), although i'm hard-pressed to get so much done in a short time period (i'm one blue ticket away from having five of each color, and I may be able to get ten gold tickets, too). Not that i'm really questioning the decisions here (except maybe the battle facility ones), although I can certainly go for it.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Garbodor and Magnezone? The latter I would understand being human creation, but the trash heap? This certainly makes deciding on a team for that easier (and more interesting, I should add), although i'm hard-pressed to get so much done in a short time period (i'm one blue ticket away from having five of each color, and I may be able to get ten gold tickets, too). Not that i'm really questioning the decisions here (except maybe the battle facility ones), although I can certainly go for it.
    Well trash is human byproduct. It was big with the intention that different people would do different challenges, and only the more hard core people, like you haha, would try to get everything. This is my first event so I've learned some things from it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I was trying to base that one a lot on Castlevania, actually per the suggestion of Sydian. Bat also has Noivern, the mummy was supposed to be sort of up to interpretation as long as it could be justified, Wolf Man also has Stoutland and Granbull, human created has SO MANY. Garbodor, Porygon, Golurk, Mewtwo, Muk technically fits since sludge is a human creation, Magnezone, Unown could be argued as a human creation, I could probably go on. That challenge was much more about how you justified your picks rather than adhering to anything super specific.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nasty_Plot Most Pokemon on that list can learn Shadow Ball so I don't see the problem. Can we please save criticisms until it's over.

well, I guess I was wrong there.

anyway, there were also many threads, leading to the activity in each thread being a fraction of what it usually is since few are going to attempt everything. that probably plays a role.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • well, I guess I was wrong there.

anyway, there were also many threads, leading to the activity in each thread being a fraction of what it usually is since few are going to attempt everything. that probably plays a role.
    Sorry if I'm being defensive, I acknowledge it has issues and I understand where you're coming from. There are people enjoying it at least so that's a plus in my book. I think the main issue was timing. October was bound to be a bad month anyway, but on top of that we had XY anniversary, ORAS demo release, and a bunch of cool new games out this month. So I think more than anything it was a victim of too much going on in one month.

Tek

Years
  • Sorry if I'm being defensive, I acknowledge it has issues and I understand where you're coming from. There are people enjoying it at least so that's a plus in my book. I think the main issue was timing. October was bound to be a bad month anyway, but on top of that we had XY anniversary, ORAS demo release, and a bunch of cool new games out this month. So I think more than anything it was a victim of too much going on in one month.

True true. Even so, I think the Carnival oughtta be a two-month event. There's just too many sights to see!

Years
  • What I think might be best is if we were to get a mention of what the Christmas event would be like if we were to have that and then have another decision on whether or not the carnival should be extended. If the Christmas event is something people may want to do, then they will, but if it isn't then we can put more focus on this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back